Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Made it up to the Cathedral of Kadesh in remastered 1 and had to stop for the night. It's just frustratingly unintuitive and the UI is such a mess that unless you squint at the screen you can't tell if a swarmer is hitting you or a multi beam corvette until half your health is gone. I feel like I'm fighting the controls and UI more than the enemy, and that's if my units even recognize my attack orders.

Oh and it's super fun constructing one defender at a time and then getting it mauled by 40 swarmers because my drone frigates have decided to stand still and not shoot. I don't remember it being this bad last time i played, which admittedly was back in 2018.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Rebel Blob posted:

Major spoilers, but I have to imagine that this cutscene looked way better in someone's imagination than it turned out. It's laughable, it really reminds me of amature SFM stuff on Youtube.
Ok yeah, I finally got around to getting to this cutscene in the game and woof. I think I can officially say this is where the story jumps the shark. I've been pretty accepting of the plot until this point but.... yeah no. A shame though because I actually liked the mothership defense mission prior. Still going to continue on to get the full context but wow. I don't recall DoK having this much of a swerve in story quality, other than the utterly forced betrayal by the other landship.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Why does everyone in the cutscenes always look like they're trying to take a painful poo poo?

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]
Was Cataclysm made by the same team as HW1? It sort of has that "b team" feeling since it's sort of a side story.

haldolium posted:

not just predecessors, really baseline RTS and successful games in the genre. World in Conflict nailed WASD strategy gameplay in.... 2007. Something went very wrong during production or even before.

Something I read somewhere else about RTS design talked about how, if you look at older games, they focused on making a really great campaign, which hooked people, and then they'd play MP. And in recent years, because of the success of things like e-sports in Starcraft 2 and eventually MOBAs, things flipped where developers try to hyper-tune MP and barely design in a campaign (if at all). And because a lot of people actually came in through playing the campaign, instead of going straight to MP, you lose a lot of causal players who might make the jump and grow your MP base. I wonder if it's a bridge too far these days with the rise of MOBAs in terms of the skills needed to play a true RTS, but I can't think of one I've played in recent years that had a memorable campaign (which, honestly, is usually what I come to these games for). SC2? Company of Heroes?

Also, all this just reinforces my love of mission-based design over open worlds. Don't get me wrong, I love an open world (check out my posts in the Morrowind thread) but my favorite games of all time have excellent mission based design. X-Wing, FS2, old school WW2 shooters (MOHAA, CoD) and of course HW. OK I'll get my soapbox now..

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Rebel Blob posted:

Too bad thorough and honest post-mortems are rare in the gaming industry, I'd be really interested to see behind the scenes into the development of HW3.

The cutscenes alone are a major question, how did some of the not-great decisions made along the way survive all the way to release? So many cutscenes that are just talking, cutting back andfrom Imogen scrunching up her eyes to Intel sitting in his chair. Did they storyboard all that, and just never question how uninteresting and static it all was?

Major spoilers, but I have to imagine that this cutscene looked way better in someone's imagination than it turned out. It's laughable, it really reminds me of amature SFM stuff on Youtube.

The characters look like fairly normal people, but the animation reminds of the first Shrek movie...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiKuxfcSrEU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Arc Hammer posted:

Made it up to the Cathedral of Kadesh in remastered 1 and had to stop for the night. It's just frustratingly unintuitive and the UI is such a mess that unless you squint at the screen you can't tell if a swarmer is hitting you or a multi beam corvette until half your health is gone. I feel like I'm fighting the controls and UI more than the enemy, and that's if my units even recognize my attack orders.

Oh and it's super fun constructing one defender at a time and then getting it mauled by 40 swarmers because my drone frigates have decided to stand still and not shoot. I don't remember it being this bad last time i played, which admittedly was back in 2018.

I’m not sure if drone frigates ever actually did anything.

Do remember you can pause the game if you need to get your bearings. Unless that was removed in the 1->2 engine.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

these are definitely some cutscenes

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The ending is overstatedly bad but the presentation is awful

The campaign itself was a ton of fun. Lmao that you Bring Sauuuk To Bear again.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 06:38 on May 18, 2024

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

i am actually astonished at how disconcerting and bad these cutscenes are and i'm only on mission 3. if they had just stuck with the DoK mostly static faces this would be about a billion times less uncomfortable and i have no idea how this happened

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 06:43 on May 18, 2024

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The people want 3d animation!!

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Eej posted:

The people want 3d animation!!

i remember them posting a dev blog saying that it will help their more character driven story and let the audience better connect with the characters and lol

also mad respect to the historical manual introducing imogen by having a random bit character talk about how cool and smart and successful she is and then having imogen unintentionally humble brag about it, which is probably the absolute worst loving way of introducing a character I've ever seen

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

For HW 1 Drone Frigates you have to hit the special action button (it was "z" in the original game, no idea for remaster) to make them deploy their drones. Should be a sphere of lovely little guns around the ship itself.

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

turn off the TV posted:

i remember them posting a dev blog saying that it will help their more character driven story and let the audience better connect with the characters and lol

also mad respect to the historical manual introducing imogen by having a random bit character talk about how cool and smart and successful she is and then having imogen unintentionally humble brag about it, which is probably the absolute worst loving way of introducing a character I've ever seen

that whole faux interview in the manual is really embarrassing, and not just for the typos. dunno if that's something Mecron wrote but whoever it was needed to be told to throw it in the bin and leave

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Rebel Blob posted:

This reminds me of those Mass Effect Andromeda memes.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Assessor of Maat posted:

something Mecron wrote
It all starts to make sense

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

raverrn posted:

For HW 1 Drone Frigates you have to hit the special action button (it was "z" in the original game, no idea for remaster) to make them deploy their drones. Should be a sphere of lovely little guns around the ship itself.

Oh I've got them deploying their drones but the drones themselves aren't doing poo poo against the swarmers. Then the game tells you to develop multi gun corvettes but those aren't doing much either.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
The swarmers kill everything smaller than a frigate in no time, I suggest just focusing down the fuel pods.

If that even works in remastered, they hosed the Kadeshi up pretty bad. In HW Splendor you can salvage a needle ship and build your own lil swarmer swarm!

E: and the drone frigate is bad against swarmers for the same reason fighters/vettes are - it might be a frigate hull but the individual drones can be attrited away real fast

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

General Battuta posted:

The swarmers kill everything smaller than a frigate in no time, I suggest just focusing down the fuel pods.

If that even works in remastered, they hosed the Kadeshi up pretty bad. In HW Splendor you can salvage a needle ship and build your own lil swarmer swarm!

i don't think it works in remastered unless they changed something in the player's patch

drone frigates should completely annihilate them though, unless they also changed that in the player's patch

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I might be talking out my rear end about drone frigates tbh.

The classic version of this mission was so cool and scary. The swarmers eat your little guys and then the needleships fuckin’ ram your destroyers. I don’t think they ever got the ram working in Remastered. And the Bridge of Sighs hyperspace inhibitor won’t food processor your ships any more either…rip physics

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

sounds about right from the last time I played original flavour homeworld. drone frigates are more cool than good until cataclysm, and then the remaster I'll only compliment for making them more functional in HW2's engine than most mods did

did another few hours of 1v1 skirmish tonight... anyone want to try and arrange some goon games...? crushing randoms isn't bad per se, but I would like few more games against people who're actually trying

Assessor of Maat fucked around with this message at 16:25 on May 18, 2024

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I dont think the Kadeshi fuel pods actually do anything in remastered but the swarmers are still borked. Some of them never stop attacking because they don't need to refuel while other Swarmers never leave their their original positions and are just static.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Got to the gate defence mission and im pretty frustrated with how theyve designed it. They give you no breather to repair and replace ships. Also defence turrets are a goddamn waste of design. I loving hate having to micro each deployment.

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010
Youtube just recommended me a showcase for Era One. A standalone game by the makers of the Complex Mod for Homeworld. Seems to be Homeworld with fully customizable units and space station building like X4. It's supposed to go into early access at the end of 2024. Might be worth to keep an eye on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQSxYwdvc40

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2509200/ERA_ONE/

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Burns posted:

Got to the gate defence mission and im pretty frustrated with how theyve designed it. They give you no breather to repair and replace ships. Also defence turrets are a goddamn waste of design. I loving hate having to micro each deployment.

It's a easy mission if you tactical pause and deploy every one of those bastards at the choke point. Minelayers too.

It's insane you can't in bulk though

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

lagidnam posted:

Youtube just recommended me a showcase for Era One. A standalone game by the makers of the Complex Mod for Homeworld. Seems to be Homeworld with fully customizable units and space station building like X4. It's supposed to go into early access at the end of 2024. Might be worth to keep an eye on.

oh hell yeah, wishlisted

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

lagidnam posted:

:stare::hf::fap:

Forget everything Homeworld, I want to play THAT instead!

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

It's been awhile since I've played the older games, but... the "just capture everything" approach gets pretty silly here.

Burns
May 10, 2008

I dont think I like the unit cap being per unit.

TerminalBlue
Aug 13, 2005

I LIVE
I DIE
I LIVE AGAIN

WITNESS ME!!
Hm, okay. Just finished the Campaign the first time on Medium. I regret not going Hard. :flaccid:

There's a lot of intangibles that are leaving me feel really underwhelmed--and many tangibles--but drat, I really am pretty underwhelmed. 7/10 I guess?

Well, at least it wasn't, like, bad?

Main disappointment: I'd be lying if I said it wasn't mostly the lean in to gibberish space magic navigator chosen person S'JET S'JET HEY HAVE YOU HEARD ABOUT S'JET ALSO MAGIC SPACE CORES BUT WE ALSO HAVE MADE MAGIC SPACE CORES BUT UH SPACE CORES S'JET S'JET S'JET?!?!--stuff... but a close second is that capturing ships was not even a thing I cared about. It took longer to capture ships than to just build them and I didn't even look at my resources a single time. There was just zero scarcity whatsoever(on medium at least). I think I captured the first destroyer I could and then just never captured anything again because I could build them like, next mission or whatever. Lame. Just zero scarcity of resources at all and the only reason I ever had less ships than the cap allowed is just because I didn't care enough to build new ships and tell them what to do. Also pretty sure many missions I was barely harvesting because I'd just send the collectors out at the beginning, they would die, then I'd forget that I didn't have collectors out there hoovering up resources. Blah.

Top strat: 15 Torpedo Frigates. Micromanaged, they'd waste things faster than 8 battlecruisers, were faster, and the enemy didn't really seem to know what to do about getting shot from that far away.

Worst strat: Messing around with minelayers and turrets. I have to tell each individual one to do an individual thing instead of just plopping them down/laying mines down as a group? Really? gently caress that poo poo, I got torpedo frigates to micro here!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

but a close second is that capturing ships was not even a thing I cared about. It took longer to capture ships than to just build them and I didn't even look at my resources a single time.

I ended the game with 25 destroyers lol, I couldn't even build a battlecruiser the entire time

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
On Hard the mothership repair + citadel assault missions drained me dry of RU so my entire fleet was just stolen poo poo. Those roving packs of 6 Multi Beam Frigates hurt.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

You can cap destroyers? When I've tried I don't get the icon to show.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Flipswitch posted:

You can cap destroyers? When I've tried I don't get the icon to show.

You can't in Wargames, you need a Mothership to dock them at.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Ah that makes sense.

Speaking of Wargames, the self repair upgrades feel like a trap - the repair rate is awfully slow.

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

Flipswitch posted:

Ah that makes sense.

Speaking of Wargames, the self repair upgrades feel like a trap - the repair rate is awfully slow.

depends which unit it's for - assault and missile frigates can both do well with it, strikecraft mostly get focused down before it can matter. I think the big trap choices are the ones that reduce speed or range on strikecraft, or the unlock for EMP frigates, which seem like they're near useless?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Yeah speed reduction is really bad in the mode where you gotta run around doing objectives being chased by an infinite horde

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

lagidnam posted:

Looking very good, immediately wishlisted.

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!

hannibal posted:

Was Cataclysm made by the same team as HW1? It sort of has that "b team" feeling since it's sort of a side story.

Something I read somewhere else about RTS design talked about how, if you look at older games, they focused on making a really great campaign, which hooked people, and then they'd play MP. And in recent years, because of the success of things like e-sports in Starcraft 2 and eventually MOBAs, things flipped where developers try to hyper-tune MP and barely design in a campaign (if at all). And because a lot of people actually came in through playing the campaign, instead of going straight to MP, you lose a lot of causal players who might make the jump and grow your MP base. I wonder if it's a bridge too far these days with the rise of MOBAs in terms of the skills needed to play a true RTS, but I can't think of one I've played in recent years that had a memorable campaign (which, honestly, is usually what I come to these games for). SC2? Company of Heroes?

Also, all this just reinforces my love of mission-based design over open worlds. Don't get me wrong, I love an open world (check out my posts in the Morrowind thread) but my favorite games of all time have excellent mission based design. X-Wing, FS2, old school WW2 shooters (MOHAA, CoD) and of course HW. OK I'll get my soapbox now..

cataclysm was made by a completely different team, which is kinda amazing considering how much better it matches the tone and lore of homeworld 1 than homeworld 2 did

homeworld 2 should have been retconned and the story continued from homeworld cataclysm

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
The team that made Cataclysm apparently was absorbed into Rockstar and the other big games they are known for are Bully, and maybe Max Payne 3 if I'm reading their history right. So they definitely had range, though it seems they dissolved soon thereafter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

lagidnam posted:

As a single player game that looks cool, and since that's the only metric I, personally, measure games on I'm interested. However, most developers and a bunch of people who's brains aren't broken like mine care about multiplayer and this trailer makes me very wary about how well this game will do.

They spent quite a while discussing their custom shipbuilding, and then ended it with the idea that you can take your blueprints from game to game. This is going to immediately end in insane toxicity. There's no way there'll be the time in multiplayer to take a couple minutes to custom build a ship for yourself. Anybody who's doing that isn't doing a dozen other things in that time. Also, designing for aesthetics is going to waste resources since I'll bet any structure or armor piece is going to cost resources so your pretty ships are going to get outnumbered and wasted by a dude putting guns on cockpits. So either you bring in ~the optimal blueprints~ for everything from resource gathering to siege weaponry that some stat nerd created and posted in an obscure Discord or you're a noob griefer trying to lose the game for your team.

Of course, if you don't allow blueprints to go from game to game there's the immediate degeneration scenario of people not memorizing the ~optimal ships~ and blueprinting them out for the game in the ~optimal down times~ some stat nerds figured out when they were creating builds. These people are obviously noob griefers out to lose the game for their team.