Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Captain Oblivious posted:

You can't really have one without the other. Reynards wisdom is from the school of loving up. He's learned a lot the hard way but at the end of the day the dude is a scoundrel and a horn dog, and I say that with fondness.

No, it's actually just a trope cribbed from My Animes to have a terrible, "comedic relief" stuffed animal sidekick that Tom managed to somehow turn into a semi-interesting character when in serious form. Reynard's plushie side is one of the worst aspects of the comic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Heavy Zed posted:

That layout is ambiguous enough that Scott "Infinite Canvas" McCloud specifically called it out as something you should never do in Making Comics.

As someone who reads Marvel's comics regularly, there's nothing wrong with this layout. You run the panels left to right (or reverse for those areas where you read that way), and you can divide them up vertically as well. So long the panel next to the divided panels is as tall as the sum of the divided panels. It makes it obvious that the divided panels are to be read top down, as otherwise you'd read the top one, then the large one, then have to go against the normal read direction to read the second smaller one. Old (60s) Marvel comics used to do it the backwards way, and even then they had an arrow between panels to guide your eyes before they dropped it.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Darth Windu posted:

No, it's actually just a trope cribbed from My Animes to have a terrible, "comedic relief" stuffed animal sidekick that Tom managed to somehow turn into a semi-interesting character when in serious form. Reynard's plushie side is one of the worst aspects of the comic.

Only if you're some weirdo who only thinks things are either "From My Animes" or "Not Anime" and that those two categories have anything to do with quality at all.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Back in the very old days, I must admit that seeing panels featuring Plush Reynardine posted in the webcomics thread did not make me want to read the comic, but it wasn't because of any animes, it was because I had horrible associations with other webcomics that featured cute sassy/perverted/violent mascots.

Sluggy Freelance.... :barf:

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Darth Windu posted:

So, how does it feel to have every opinion you have be terrible?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Only if you're some weirdo who only thinks things are either "From My Animes" or "Not Anime" and that those two categories have anything to do with quality at all.

Nothing that is anime (because anime is a state of being and not just a term utilized to describe Japanese animation) is ever good, and you should only care and value serious important media stuff like hard fantasy, webcomics and DOTA.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Am I really behind the times, or has the thread as a whole not yet noticed that Annie in the Forest part 1 is up online?

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/extracomics

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

thespaceinvader posted:

Am I really behind the times, or has the thread as a whole not yet noticed that Annie in the Forest part 1 is up online?

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/extracomics

You are behind, as I believe the thread discussion for that occurred about a week ago.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Darth Windu posted:

Reynard is a character from European folklore who spent much of the poems about him being a dick, up to and including being a horny jackass.

One tale has him send Ysengrin off on some wild goose chase while he has sex with Ysengrin's wife.

Cloche
Mar 4, 2010

Ugh, mythology is the worst. So goddamn anime. :geno:

(i'm usually hyper-critical of this sort of thing but reynard is fine you goof)

Cloche fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Dec 13, 2013

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Dr Pepper posted:

Reynard is a character from European folklore who spent much of the poems about him being a dick, up to and including being a horny jackass.

One tale has him send Ysengrin off on some wild goose chase while he has sex with Ysengrin's wife.
Literal or metaphorical wild goose chase?

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

Cloche posted:

Ugh, mythology is the worst. So goddamn anime. :geno:

(i'm usually hyper-critical of this sort of thing but reynard is fine you goof)

Darth Windu is a contrarian and I'm not entirely sure why he reads this thread or the comic.

I'm also hyper-sensitive to "funny" animal sidekicks, but the way that the other characters interact with him (not to mention the fact that that sort of stuff is only a part of his character) makes it way more tolerable.

\/\/\/ It just means I go "ugh one of those" when I see them in media whereas a lot of other people seem to be fine with them. It's not one of those "trigger warning" things. \/\/\/

Portals fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Dec 13, 2013

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
What does it mean to be "hyper-sensitive" to funny animal side kicks? Is this like one of those "trigger warning" things?

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

SHISHKABOB posted:

What does it mean to be "hyper-sensitive" to funny animal side kicks? Is this like one of those "trigger warning" things?

It's more like thinking Pixar would be making way stronger films if they weren't jamming ninja horses and mentally disabled snowmen into every story.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

SHISHKABOB posted:

Don't make fun; the '90s were a trying time in animation and I'm not surprised to see people come out of it with a few scars.

Also, your new avatar is adorable :3:

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing
Renard's whole plushy/realistic dichotomy is way more interesting if you don't believe the whole "mind is nothing but a plaything of the body" thing.

Cloche
Mar 4, 2010

SHISHKABOB posted:

TW: ANIME, BARTOK, MID-90'S CEREAL MASCOTS

It's not even just about the annoying cutesy sidekick thing, although that's pretty bad, but the whole "leering, mega-gross pervert"-esque character being treated as soo funny and wacky when they actually do some really deplorable stuff. I absolutely hate that kind of thing, but Reynard is pretty harmless and a really likeable character.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Razorwired posted:

It's more like thinking Pixar would be making way stronger films if they weren't jamming ninja horses and mentally disabled snowmen into every story.

I think you might be thinking of Dreamworks not Pixar.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Razorwired posted:

Tangled and Frozen aren't Pixar.

Captain Oblivious posted:

I think you might be thinking of Dreamworks not Pixar.

Not Dreamworks either. Just regular ol' Disney.

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!

Regy Rusty posted:

Tangled and Frozen aren't Pixar.

Ever since John Lasseter took over Disney Animation, this distinction became more or less meaningless.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

JT Jag posted:

Literal or metaphorical wild goose chase?

Metaphorical, I believe.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Dr Pepper posted:

Metaphorical, I believe.
Because when you're talking about mythology from the middle ages it could be either.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
They jynxed it.
Annie soon really will do something that makes Kat hate her.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?

Rita Repulsa posted:

They jynxed it.
Annie soon really will do something that makes Kat hate her.
I dunno what she could even do. Set Paz on fire? Talk poo poo about Metal Gear Solid?

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Fecha posted:

I dunno what she could even do. Set Paz on fire? Talk poo poo about Metal Gear Solid?

She could do a bad cosplay of The Fury :v:

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Reveal that she's been copying Kat's homework without her knowledge or consent for years?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Razorwired posted:

Neither Tangled or Frozen was made by Pixar.

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:

It was you, Annie! You stole the cookies from the cookie jar!

Casull fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Dec 14, 2013

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Razorwired posted:

:rolleyes:

Darth Windu posted:

Man if you can't enjoy it when something like this happens: http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1279 I don't know what to say

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

Darth Windu posted:

The anime is coming from inside the head

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

For the record I like plushy Renard and wouldn't put him in the same category as that goddamn snowman. But I could see how someone would be apprehensive about that side of the character for his first few strips.

And if you read past those first few strips I don't know how wolf Rey gets a pass while plushy Rey is "too anime". Big all white fluffy wolf thing that follows the main character around is just anime as poo poo.

Gygaxian
May 29, 2013
So I was re-reading the comic, and I came across this early comic. That's still a really good line: "And the second was when a God emerged from Gillitie Wood." That line is when I realized that this comic was going to be good.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

idonotlikepeas posted:

Reveal that she's been copying Kat's homework without her knowledge or consent for years?

I must be the only person who just doesn't see that as a big deal. It's copying a bunch of homework, not plagiarizing a dissertation.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

GROVER CURES HOUSE posted:

The anime is coming from inside the head

Yes, I do watch some anime. I am a fan of many different sorts of media. Inspiration from anime is something that I don't necessarily see as a bad thing, but the fuzzy sidekick is incredibly tired and boring. Renard DOES get a pass because he is interesting and Tom is a good writer. You people seem to think I hate the character when I don't - I was just agreeing with the apprehension stated by the poster I quoted, and expanding that I liked Renard's perverted stuffed animal form much less than his wolf form - luckily, Tom seems to agree and only brings him out very rarely.

I can think of at least four (terrible) anime stuffed animal sidekicks. Hell, that anime game about the killer bear was a subversion of that very trope. I can't think of any wise wolves who follow their friends around. Except Okami, I guess?

VanSandman posted:

Neither Tangled or Frozen was made by Pixar.

Also stuff like this is hilarious, way to be a pedantic shithead and completely miss the point all fifteen people who responded in kind.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

ReidRansom posted:

I must be the only person who just doesn't see that as a big deal. It's copying a bunch of homework, not plagiarizing a dissertation.

Maybe have the Court punish Kat for Annie's cheating, since they don't seem to have much luck with punishing Annie.

But ya, while I don't think Kat would be happy over the cheating, she'd probably forgive Annie.

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

Darth Windu posted:

way to be a pedantic shithead
:irony:

But I really hope that when the cheating thing comes up, it isn't too big of a deal. I'd hate for that to be the source of a rift between those two.

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

Darth Windu posted:

Yes, I do watch some anime. I am a fan of many different sorts of media. Inspiration from anime is something that I don't necessarily see as a bad thing, but the fuzzy sidekick is incredibly tired and boring. Renard DOES get a pass because he is interesting and Tom is a good writer. You people seem to think I hate the character when I don't - I was just agreeing with the apprehension stated by the poster I quoted, and expanding that I liked Renard's perverted stuffed animal form much less than his wolf form - luckily, Tom seems to agree and only brings him out very rarely.

I can think of at least four (terrible) anime stuffed animal sidekicks. Hell, that anime game about the killer bear was a subversion of that very trope. I can't think of any wise wolves who follow their friends around. Except Okami, I guess?

Also stuff like this is hilarious, way to be a pedantic shithead and completely miss the point all fifteen people who responded in kind.

I have no idea what you are talking about but wish you would stop.

We don't need a second chibisoma moment.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

GROVER CURES HOUSE posted:

We don't need a second chibisoma moment.

I'm sorry for sounding like a scrub, but could you provide a link to this? I've been following this thread for a couple months now and it keeps coming up, but I have no idea where to look for it.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Skippy McPants posted:

I'm sorry for sounding like a scrub, but could you provide a link to this? I've been following this thread for a couple months now and it keeps coming up, but I have no idea where to look for it.
link

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bot 02
Apr 2, 2010

Dude... Did my plushie just talk?

Wow, that poster was wrong about everything.