Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

whypick1 posted:

(thankfully with 3.0 you'll be able to load/save Hideout layouts so you don't have to spend time playing Barbie's Dream House every league).
Finally I can save my carefully lain pattern of dead seagulls. That is truly the best change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
Yeah my house full of boys will be saved!

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
I think hideout saving is something Chris Wilson has mentioned "for the future," and not as a specific target goal for 3.0

dead in real life
Jun 17, 2012

Vasudus posted:

Yeah, Standard is a dumping ground for most people. Some people like playing on it and I can't really fault them for it, but it seems so boring. But hey, whatever makes people happy.

I too, like many, use it for a testing ground. You typically get a free full respec every league so I always have a level 90+ character with a blank slate ready to test whatever dumb ideas I have.

So, pardon me as a newer player, but each new League ultimately means you're starting from scratch? It just sort of feels like going all League all the time means you're in an eternal rat race that keeps resetting, whereas Standard lets you actually keep a character you like. Am I off-base somehow? Truly want to know.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Yes, and ladder in D2 was way more fun than open, same idea.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
There's one thing you're missing: Leagues introduce new play mechanics not in Standard. Most league mechanics do get rolled into Standard (:rip: Talisman), but for that ~3 months there's stuff you can't do in Standard.

Oh, and you do get exclusive MTX for performing league challenges, if you care about that sort of thing.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

dead in real life posted:

So, pardon me as a newer player, but each new League ultimately means you're starting from scratch? It just sort of feels like going all League all the time means you're in an eternal rat race that keeps resetting, whereas Standard lets you actually keep a character you like. Am I off-base somehow? Truly want to know.

You will not want to keep progressing your character past 3 months, trust us. The game is not really meant for your character to be able to keep progressing meaningfully after 3 months. That's the main thing people coming into this game from other grinding based RPGs like MMOs miss out on. GGG has said before they have a lot of trouble getting the Asian market to play in the leagues, because Korean MMOs have ingrained in them a need to grind a character for 3000 hours over 5 years slowly getting better gear.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Ultima66 posted:

You will not want to keep progressing your character past 3 months, trust us. The game is not really meant for your character to be able to keep progressing meaningfully after 3 months. That's the main thing people coming into this game from other grinding based RPGs like MMOs miss out on. GGG has said before they have a lot of trouble getting the Asian market to play in the leagues, because Korean MMOs have ingrained in them a need to grind a character for 3000 hours over 5 years slowly getting better gear.

I sure do love people who play a gently caress ton complaining how x is too easy. (not necessarily referring to you) It's even more amusing when they use whatever the meta game breaking build is.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jun 20, 2017

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
If you only play like 2 hours a week then you'll only reach the end-game in those 3 months if you know what you're doing :v: People who don't read posts on the internet about efficiently going through the game or don't have dozens of hours played already are really slow to work through the game.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Count Uvula posted:

If you only play like 2 hours a week then you'll only reach the end-game in those 3 months if you know what you're doing :v: People who don't read posts on the internet about efficiently going through the game or don't have dozens of hours played already are really slow to work through the game.

This is me

And each league does something interesting

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Thankfully the same guy that did those wonderful beginner guides is also starting to make guides to go through the Acts as efficiently as possible :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STec8eND38w

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

dead in real life posted:

For me, it's an invitation to re-experience the game. I only play PoE for maybe a month during each league, but man do we play hard when we play. Every league introduces a new set of mechanics through whatever the league is, plus balance changes to existing content, so it's an opportunity to re-explore the game with new builds, new items, and a new league mechanic. It means the game stays very fresh and since we only play 4 or 5 weeks max of the league, when a new one rolls around, we get super pumped.

Some people play the entire league and of course others play standard, but I like the balance we struck and the league structure/reset cycle enables that.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

For me, it's an invitation to re-experience the game. I only play PoE for maybe a month during each league, but man do we play hard when we play. Every league introduces a new set of mechanics through whatever the league is, plus balance changes to existing content, so it's an opportunity to re-explore the game with new builds, new items, and a new league mechanic. It means the game stays very fresh and since we only play 4 or 5 weeks max of the league, when a new one rolls around, we get super pumped.

Some people play the entire league and of course others play standard, but I like the balance we struck and the league structure/reset cycle enables that.

I agree - the league structure keeps it fresh and gives me new build choices every 3 months.

Diablo 3 has leagues too but since they don't really change much league over league, its hard to go back to and just re-grind the exact same char again. I like that POE has a massive changelog each league, plus new mechanics.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Act 8 Boss: Doedre the Vile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bFGwR3dND0

Also:

quote:

UPDATE After some discussion with the team, the Beta Patch that introduces Act 8 and subsequent character wipe has been moved to late next week. There will be no Beta patch this week.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

frajaq posted:

Thankfully the same guy that did those wonderful beginner guides is also starting to make guides to go through the Acts as efficiently as possible :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STec8eND38w

that dude is awesome, the new 3.0 OP should have a link near the top

but it is kinda distressing just how much there is to learn for a newbie

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lechtansi posted:

I agree - the league structure keeps it fresh and gives me new build choices every 3 months.

Diablo 3 has leagues too but since they don't really change much league over league, its hard to go back to and just re-grind the exact same char again. I like that POE has a massive changelog each league, plus new mechanics.

I also actively have fun with the journey in PoE, not just the destination. Seeing the power curves of each build is a lot of fun.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

What is worse the labyrinth or set dungeons .

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
Everything everyone said about leagues except I'll also add that getting a fresh set of empty stash tabs is nice. The 12 I have would be absolutely full since long ago.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

euphronius posted:

For me that's a complicated question. I'd hate having to do set dungeons more than once ever. With that said I appreciate their original difficulty and general unfairness the same way I appreciate dying repeatedly in Dark Souls. I had to level characters specifically for them so they weren't particularly well geared. While individually some set dungeons were pretty miserable the final sensation of "holy poo poo I did it, I did it" when I got the ugly green wings was pretty fantastic.

Lab is far easier so I never got that sensation except for the first time I did Uber. After a while lab just feels like a chore that breaks the rhythm of the game for me. There's a part of me that enjoys the idea of it ("ok now's the time to see if this build works/I wonder if I can kill Izaro at level 30 with this character") but I would really like an option to unlock Lab points for all characters in a league. Like you automatically get normal ascendancy at (lowest level completed +5), etc. That could be pretty fun. Hell I bet I'd run it more frequently than I already do trying to get my lowest level down.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Jun 20, 2017

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

Goa Tse-tung posted:

that dude is awesome, the new 3.0 OP should have a link near the top

but it is kinda distressing just how much there is to learn for a newbie

The game does have a shitton to learn, but fortunately very little of it is actually needed when your first starting out. 3.0 will be my third league and there is still information that i'm learning, but i feel like i have a decent handle on it.

When I first started I tried to read a bunch of information on how to level efficiently and none of it stuck. I still just cruise through the acts, ignoring all the ways I could "go faster."

I definitely agree that the OP should have a basic "heres what you need to know in order to get started" and then a list of "additional resources once you find yourself needing them" for things like this video, trade macros, build guides, atlas strategies, etc.

The other Engineering Eternity videos are A+ and should definitely be watched by anyone just starting out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEZtq6FSebE

Goo P-Nut Sack
Feb 10, 2009

Well I lost my HC lvl 69 duelist/champion this weekend, was feeling pretty safe and got gibbed by a unique frozen pulse trap mob of some sort in A3M. That's the furthest I've ever made it though! I did my own frost blades build and honestly the death was my fault as I was distracted.

I decided to try a pizza sticks build before it goes away and it's a pretty neat change of pace, I've never played totem anything before. I decided to go Templar/hierophant and life based in HC. Most of the builds I've seen are for CI but I've really fallen in love with life regen so I'm not following the guide super closely. Got back to level 55 last night.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

euphronius posted:

Set dungeons; lab is so much easier than they are.

George
Nov 27, 2004

The lab, because I have to keep doing it.

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

This machine kills fascists
I chanced a Skyforth yesterday. At least it was in Legacy and not in beta! Gonna try to sell it and a couple of 6L regalias I've been sitting on and get my first Headhunter.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Rashomon posted:

I chanced a Skyforth yesterday.

You motherfucker

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

What's the cheesiest ignite build?

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Jinnigan posted:

What's the cheesiest ignite build?

In 2.6 live servers with double-dipping? Probably Berserker Vortex with Hrimburn gloves and a bunch of multiplier gems.

In 3.0 beta? Probably crit Flameblast or Detonate Dead with the new Perfect Agony keystone, Unbound Ailments Support, and two Emberwake rings? I'm not sure which ascendancy would be best for it though.

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

I personally love running lab but I would be 100% fine them making it be a once-per league thing across your whole account.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
As if that would ever happen :)

George
Nov 27, 2004

I just want it to suck less to fail it.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

Failing final fight of Lab when it lags is like being hit with a marshmallow gun in the eye and the marshmallow ruins your contact and this is a true story here.

I'm using this weird totem flameblast witch setup from the forums, reminds me of sentry DH. I'm green, okay!

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
I just hate the traps. Izaro is not usually the problem, since I'm used to the fight, but gently caress traps in a game like this.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

the throne is the greatest trap of them all, so be glad you don't have to sit in that instead

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

Man I feel like I'm loving something up. Went CI on my Frost Blades raider, got some decent jewelry, now I'm up to 8k HP, but the boss of Vault still wrecks me. What am I doing wrong?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Probably letting him punch you, he's got some nasty feeling slams that aren't great to tank. Vinktars instead of atziri's would probably make it easier to tank though (assuming you aren't literally getting one shot)

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

Eh, I'm mostly having trouble getting enough DPS to bring him down quickly enough before I get swarmed by loads of animated weapons and gold piles

e: i immediately see that i forgot to spec out of the life flask node and ranger start life nodes. so that freed up, like, 5 points... i put them in the aura reduction nodes so now i can also run herald of ash.

Jinnigan fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jun 21, 2017

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Jinnigan posted:

Man I feel like I'm loving something up. Went CI on my Frost Blades raider, got some decent jewelry, now I'm up to 8k HP, but the boss of Vault still wrecks me. What am I doing wrong?

My only significant recommendation is to take Power Charge on Crit out of your 6-link and put it in your Orb of Storms links in place of Flame Dash (who needs that when you have whirl?). In PCoC's place should be Cold Penetration, or if you don't want to recolor your 4-off chest, Crit Damage support. You're essentially running a 5L even though you have a 6L, leaving a lot of damage on the table.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Mentat Radnor posted:

in place of Flame Dash (who needs that when you have whirl?).

true story, my last chayula run bricked hard when i went down two dead ends and couldn't just flame dash forward

felt really bad

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable
Lightning Warp's better, especially when traps are involved. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Pooncha posted: