Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

exquisite tea posted:

I don't even enjoy TW3 as much as the Mass Effect trilogy, it's just a good example of how game writing has evolved over the last five years and we should hold developers who market themselves on their stories to a higher standard.

Journey has no dialogue and yet has a far better story than TW3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

but seriously anyone who pre-ordered do you get to play with the dlc yet

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Generic Monk posted:

i'm still finding it kind of weird that the 'pathfinder' title is treated with almost religious significance. maybe it's better explained in the course of the actual opening idk. guess i'll find out when i get a pc that can play morrowind at more than 15fps (not joking)

It kind of feels like this element of the script has suffered from rewrites. The Pathfinder isn't some religious figure who can heal rifts in the sky with her magic hand, she's just any old dope with an iPhone wired into her brain. Feels like at one point it was meant to seem more superhuman given all the reverential dialogue.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

precision posted:

Journey has no dialogue and yet has a far better story than TW3.

A lesson Mass Effect: Andromeda should have taken to heart.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

exquisite tea posted:

It kind of feels like this element of the script has suffered from rewrites. The Pathfinder isn't some religious figure who can heal rifts in the sky with her magic hand, she's just any old dope with an iPhone wired into her brain. Feels like at one point it was meant to seem more superhuman given all the reverential dialogue.

I think they just have no idea how to write a character that isnt the chosen one

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

GreenBuckanneer posted:

but seriously anyone who pre-ordered do you get to play with the dlc yet

By DLC you mean the skins and pet pyjack? No. Everyone gets the same experience in the trial. Pre-order/deluxe content doesn't unlock till release.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

eonwe posted:

I think they just have no idea how to write a character that isnt the chosen one

yeah the only game bioware's ever made that didn't establish your character as some sort of unique super person was mdk2

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Coldforge posted:

Quarians arent in this game (maybe).

I thought it was funny when some incidental dialogue clarifies the Quarians built an Ark (you know, with all those excess resources they have lying around) but it's sort of the "everybody else" Ark so they were running behind schedule figuring out how to bring Drell, Elcor, Jellyfish People and so on. I imagine they won't show up during this game but it gives Bioware either the option to add them in postgame DLC or have them available in a sequel. It's just funny to imagine they show up a couple years after the events of ME:A after a smooth trip and are like "Wow, looks like you guys got the whole colony thing worked out, great! Did we miss anything?"

The Batarians probably aren't coming.

Bossie Lott
Nov 21, 2010
I really hope there's more actual resistance to Ryder being in this position, especially from actual teammates like Cora. One thing that really struck me with both siblings, but Sara especially, is how young, hysteric and panicked they can sound in combat. Maybe they will grow throughout the game and Sara will sound a lil bit more Jennifer Hale by the end but I'm just struggling to imagine why the crew and the squadmates would take either sibling seriously at this point.

And I'm not criticizing the performances, clearly they're trying to be that way and the line delivery is good and all that jazz. But I just dunno if the narrative is going to support it or if its going to require some pretty big suspension of disbelief to take this starship crew respecting and eagerly following this awkward dumbshit kid seriously.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

CottonWolf posted:

End of prologue spoilers:

Maybe this is revealed in game at some point, but I wasn't exactly sure whether the transfer of Pathfinder authority (by which I mean SAM) is meant to have saved Ryder's life. That was my read on the weird cutscene that happens afterwards with all the neurons dying then regenerating.

Seems to me that it was more a case of "well my son is dying, and I have to die to save him, so I'm going to initiate this transfer so my son can carry on whatever my shady ulterior motives were" rather than SAM directly saving Ryder's life

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Funky See Funky Do posted:

By DLC you mean the skins and pet pyjack? No. Everyone gets the same experience in the trial. Pre-order/deluxe content doesn't unlock till release.

The multiplayer stuff has unlocked already.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I don't care about lore in the multiplayer so there drat well better be Batarians in there. Or I guess just make whatever race Jaal is the new "ugly punchdudes".

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Witcher 2 is better than Witcher 3.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Cowcaster posted:

yeah the only game bioware's ever made that didn't establish your character as some sort of unique super person was mdk2
In DA:O you're just one of the last members of your organisation within walking distance of the main plot, while Alistair's a Warden as well as being an heir to the throne and Morrigan is the daughter of one of the most powerful beings in the world.

In DA2 you start off a nobody and slowly work your way up (it's one of the things the game did a decent job of).

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

evilmiera posted:

Replace pathfinder with inquisitor and be enlightened.

glowy hand? glowy hand.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

eonwe posted:

ill give this probably bad game another try tonight

glad to hear you're not giving up on The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Dolash posted:

With any luck, they're all dead.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Fojar38 posted:

yeah post the rear end

Smash Mouth eat the rear end

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Captain Oblivious posted:

Seems to me that it was more a case of "well my son is dying, and I have to die to save him, so I'm going to initiate this transfer so my son can carry on whatever my shady ulterior motives were" rather than SAM directly saving Ryder's life

I bet the secret family history thing is this: Mon!Ryder was dying and Alec tried to save her by having her live on as an AI. He was part way through mapping her brain when she dies. Alec then discovers that directly interfacing with the AI, now retooled as SAM for the Andromeda Initiative, unlocks the full extent of the Human Potential (Synthesis achieved "naturally" as opposed to Shepard being blended by the Crucible).

It's represented in gameplay terms by allowing Ryder to use every ability and it's in this specific condition that allowed him to unlock the Remnant Vault and restore Habitat 7. But directly interfacing with SAM only works for him, Scott, and Sara, since the twins are the children of MomRyder, who SAM's neural network, or whaterver, was partially built ontop of, and Alec, who got the AI to directly interface with him.

That is why Alec made Scott or Sara Pathfinder; they are the only ones who can directly interface with SAM and use the Vaults to restore the Golden Worlds. And I bet a plot point is that the Archon will kidnap the other Ryder twin and use them to access the Vaults.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

I don't get why you can't change the eyes. Got a character design I really liked, but with eyes like Reese's pieces. Looks constantly in shock.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Cowcaster posted:

Wow nice 17 year old pull.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

cams posted:

were people able to get through the beginning of the game on the hardest difficulty level? makes me think there has to be another new game plus type option in this, cause insanity seems impossible starting fresh.

i mean i haven't mastered this brand new game yet but still

There is a New Game Plus, but I completed the trial on Insanity as a biotic and only died twice. The hardest part for me was at the very beginning on Habitat 7, where I had to spend a lot of time cowering in cover because I only had Throw. After the first level up I grabbed Pull and Singularity and it became much easier.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
OK, here's the question. What is multiplayer like? I'll play the single player at some point this year, which should give Bioware some time to fix some of the issues if they care to, but I really enjoyed the ME3 multiplayer. Is it as good to play for those of you with early access?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Digirat posted:

When there is so much legitimate ammo to use against this game, complaining about poo poo like this is about as loving asinine as it gets. Jesus christ.

If you're going to build a bonfire, you throw every log you have on it; you don't stop halfway.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Thundercloud posted:

OK, here's the question. What is multiplayer like? I'll play the single player at some point this year, which should give Bioware some time to fix some of the issues if they care to, but I really enjoyed the ME3 multiplayer. Is it as good to play for those of you with early access?

It's being discussed in the ME3MP thread but short answer is "Maybe, there are still hosting issues"

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

fridge corn posted:

The reason why witcher is *high art* is because most goons don't read real books

Witcher 3 is *high art* within the confines of videogames, if anything.

I don't get why people try to stretch so hard to defend other videogames, as if Witcher 3 is going to eat the other games or something. IT's a good game, it's a high bar to hold other examples up to but it doesn't mean no part of any other game can be good or great or interesting.

That said, if MEA does similar things to W3 then it'll be compared and judged accordingly. I probably will like MEA's combat much more than W3's, but those are pretty different, so it's not fair to compare. Open world poo poo and story and character stufff, well...we'll see in a few days.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

cravius posted:

She's like hundreds of years removed from any actual colonialism lmao

My granddad grew up on a reservation that looks like a third world nation, my dude. That's not remotely true.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

orange juche posted:

gently caress that Fiend fight at site 2 on Eos on hardcore. Like seriously you have 3-4 minigunner dudes, a Fiend, and a ton of trash kett. That fight was insanely stupid to do.

That fights great. It's the one where you realise you really have to push your new mobility to stay alive when poo poo gets real. Lots of dashing and flanking and charging, even into dangerous situations, to get your shields back up. A big open space that's not a corridor with cover. As always, Always Be Charging, because the game opens the gently caress up when you do.

More fights like that please

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

Dolash posted:

I thought it was funny when some incidental dialogue clarifies the Quarians built an Ark (you know, with all those excess resources they have lying around) but it's sort of the "everybody else" Ark so they were running behind schedule figuring out how to bring Drell, Elcor, Jellyfish People and so on. I imagine they won't show up during this game but it gives Bioware either the option to add them in postgame DLC or have them available in a sequel. It's just funny to imagine they show up a couple years after the events of ME:A after a smooth trip and are like "Wow, looks like you guys got the whole colony thing worked out, great! Did we miss anything?"

i like that the quarians, the race most used to spacefaring and continuous ship maintenance, arent the first ship out the gates or at least hugely involved in the construction/design process of an ark

also that they're likely to die from exposure to p much anything so lets include a bunch of species that can make them cripplingly sick!

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Any word on the new art book? Have people started getting copies?

Also what about the novel

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Hedrigall posted:

Any word on the new art book? Have people started getting copies?

Also what about the novel

Novels aren't coming for a little while.
March 28ths is the first one, and then the other two will be later this summer and beyond.

quote:

MASS EFFECT™: NEXUS UPRISING by Jason M. Hough and K.C. Alexander
9781785651564 | Spring 2017 | Paperback & eBook | £7.99/$7.99 | 336pp

MASS EFFECT™: ANNIHILATION by Catherynne M. Valente
9781785651588 | Summer 2017 | Paperback & eBook | £7.99/$7.99 | 336pp

MASS EFFECT™: INITIATION by N.K. Jemisin
9781785651601 | Fall 2017 | Paperback & eBook | £7.99/$7.99 | 336pp

also,

quote:

A planned fourth novel, by BioWare creative director Mac Walters, has been shelved.
:laugh:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Coldforge posted:

Quarians arent in this game (maybe).

That's because Quarians aren't people.

:godwinning:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The only thing more tiresome than comparing ME:A to W3 is all these hot takes on W3.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

2house2fly posted:

glad to hear you're not giving up on The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

thanks im really looking forward to....wait

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

SgtSteel91 posted:

~Ryder Theory~

That's actually pretty plausible and thought out, well done.

Phantom Star
Feb 16, 2005

Clawtopsy posted:

i like that the quarians, the race most used to spacefaring and continuous ship maintenance, arent the first ship out the gates or at least hugely involved in the construction/design process of an ark

also that they're likely to die from exposure to p much anything so lets include a bunch of species that can make them cripplingly sick!

Well if the actions of the Quarian fleets during ME3 told me anything, it's that the people with power in their culture aren't willing to abandon their stolen home world. I feel like pushing for a colonizing generation ship before reclaiming their home would have been spun politically to be seen as treason to take valuable supplies and skilled people necessary to rebuild Rannoch.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Arglebargle III posted:

The only thing more tiresome than comparing ME:A to W3 is all these hot takes on W3.
I'm sorry I made fun of your silly anime game. You can brush your pretty muscle-boy's swishy white hair if you want.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

is it just me or is the lighting in some areas (like the nexus) really bad? like the fullbright command in HL2

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Drifter posted:

Novels aren't coming for a little while.
March 28ths is the first one, and then the other two will be later this summer and beyond.

also,

:laugh:

Just checked my kindle preorder for the first one and it's saying March 21st

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

CottonWolf posted:

End of prologue spoilers:

Maybe this is revealed in game at some point, but I wasn't exactly sure whether the transfer of Pathfinder authority (by which I mean SAM) is meant to have saved Ryder's life. That was my read on the weird cutscene that happens afterwards with all the neurons dying then regenerating.
I did think it was cool in the demo when Alec started changing to all his profiles in order to mow down the trash mobs with the different powers and everyone was all "How is he doing this, wtf." We all thought he was just some CoD aficionado, but instead he was Yuna from FFX swapping between Dresspheres