Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

TenementFunster posted:

i’ve been in this gym for almost a month before i realized all these cable machines are marked in kilos. loving science nerds trying to give me even worse body dysmorphia

reminds me of when I finally hit a 300 bench before noticing the bar was 20 kg not 45 lb. The shame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

nooneofconsequence posted:

reminds me of when I finally hit a 300 bench before noticing the bar was 20 kg not 45 lb. The shame.

All the bars I use are 20kg while all the plates are in pounds.

I've brainwashed myself into believing the clips are 1 pound. :sigh:

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

What happened to the 35 pound plates of yesteryear?

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

They exist only to be put away on top of other, more useful plates.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I have some 15KG plates that came as part of a set and are literally never used.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
I generally have 25-lb plates on someplace as I'm pyramiding up or down. It's easier to just add 10-lb plates to those than it is to replace the 25s with fake 45s, so I stick with the canonical plate sizes.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

The Bugez got fired. A sad day for musclemen.

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

sojunds like he lacked the mindset

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Gonna need more information on this I think

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

MarcusSA posted:

Gonna need more information on this I think

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_ytHdOo_ZA

this poor man couldn't keep a job with WWE

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
I've been working out at work when there is time, night shift. It's nice, slow times; go do some dead lifts. Deadlift you can do if you got the bar and weights.

After it feels like dead-lifts have been done for the week, can still use the concept2 rowing machine that's there or gently caress around with the other weights. No rack or place to do bench.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

doverhog posted:

I've been working out at work when there is time, night shift. It's nice, slow times; go do some dead lifts. Deadlift you can do if you got the bar and weights.

After it feels like dead-lifts have been done for the week, can still use the concept2 rowing machine that's there or gently caress around with the other weights. No rack or place to do bench.

Got access to dumbbells? You can do some chest work flat on the ground with those.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Heaviest dumbbells are 10 kg. Done some lateral raises so I guess it's good for that.

Shouldn't complain too much, being able to work out at work is great, even if choice of exercises is limited.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

what the gently caress

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

doverhog posted:

Heaviest dumbbells are 10 kg. Done some lateral raises so I guess it's good for that.

Shouldn't complain too much, being able to work out at work is great, even if choice of exercises is limited.

Floor press should be doable with barbell if you want, and you can probably clean whatever weight you'd want to use for ohp assuming the ceiling is high enough, so you probably have enough for a decent full body routine if you're in to that.

Maybe throw in some rows and you're in business.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

VorpalFish posted:

Floor press should be doable with barbell if you want, and you can probably clean whatever weight you'd want to use for ohp assuming the ceiling is high enough, so you probably have enough for a decent full body routine if you're in to that.

Maybe throw in some rows and you're in business.

The ceiling is so low I have to duck when walking around to avoid ?ventilation? pipes. There's a some fixed weight bars, heaviest is 40 kg, done some cleans and OHP with that after carrying it into the stairwell. Also rows.

Could use the full sized bar for more than deadlifts but don't think I'll bother with all that. I'm the only one using it at the moment so it's nice to just leave it there with the weight on and go back to it next week (and usually put on more).

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
You can do ohp kneeling

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

feelix posted:

You can do ohp kneeling

Seated as well, but both can be trickier to get the bar in position if you have no rack.

Although I guess both variants are harder so maybe the lighter weight makes it easy enough depending on how strong you are. Definitely a ton you can do even if literally all you have is a barbell and enough weight though

doverhog
May 31, 2013

There's a lot of options and I appreciate the ideas put forth.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

put the bar in a corner and do landmine chest press and squats

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmjUff6GpQE

Peter Falk
Sep 29, 2023
I started lifting again after almost a year off due to illness. Tomorrow my goal is to bench one plate, and maybe try a deadlift.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

Peter Falk posted:

I started lifting again after almost a year off due to illness. Tomorrow my goal is to bench one plate, and maybe try a deadlift.
good luck!

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

If you’re only benching one plate how do you balance it is there a way to put it in the middle of the bar?

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.

Peter Falk posted:

bird with big dick posted:

Oh and just one more question. If you’re only benching one plate how do ya balance it? Is there a way to put it in the middle of the bar? I’ll admit I’m no expert on the topic of weightlifting, you see Mrs. Colombo doesn’t like it when I have too much muscle.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

You just have to switch sides between each set so you don't grow one huge boob.

Unless you're into that.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

VorpalFish posted:

You just have to switch sides between each set so you don't grow one huge boob.

Unless you're into that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKiBCRubRc0&t=18s

Peter Falk
Sep 29, 2023

bird with big dick posted:

If you’re only benching one plate how do you balance it is there a way to put it in the middle of the bar?

Wait is that a hyper local expression? Everyone I knows uses that slang.
I would definitely go for the super on though, I could feed my family all winter.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Peter Falk posted:

Wait is that a hyper local expression? Everyone I knows uses that slang.
I would definitely go for the super on though, I could feed my family all winter.

You're getting memed on.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I only work out at home and don’t really read about strength training other than the bare minimum to get me started so I actually don’t really know but I’d guess one plate means 135 pounds ie 2x45 plus bar

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Feeling like I've been spinning my wheels a bit in the (garage) gym, waiting to jump into more serious work/bigger programming until ??? lord knows what I was waiting for

just found out about Squatober and just gonna send it I guess. M-F squatting all October and then a PR attempt (weight OR rep, not sure which I'm hoping for) on Halloween

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cx3LH1TrRBx/

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Rip those joints.

Unless you are like 20.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

MarcusSA posted:

Rip those joints.

Unless you are like 20.

Worth it.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Early 30s, I've yet to run up against that constraint yet, so if this is the last big smash I can do before my body starts to complain about things, c'est la vie

(I'll conveniently ignore the idea that this COULD be the reason why that happens, lol)

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

MarcusSA posted:

Rip those joints.

Unless you are like 20.

Shut up

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’ve been using the RP Hyperthrophy app for 3 weeks now and overall it’s been pretty decent besides a few minor bugs here and there.

It’s really nice to be able to swap movements if something is taken or you are in a limited gym environment. Also the videos really help if it’s something you’ve never seen before or just want a refresher.

I’ve got another 3 weeks on this meso and we will see how I feel at the end but so far it’s been worth the few bucks.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

Middle aged dude checking in - I did pendlay rows on Monday and felt the bar bump into my saggy man tits

i'm gettin' humbled, yall

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

Middle aged dude checking in - I did pendlay rows on Monday and felt the bar bump into my saggy man tits

i'm gettin' humbled, yall

Oh my

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
The lower your balls get, the easier it is to get rear end-to-grass while squatting. Or balls-to-gym mat, I guess. Getting old has its perks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Do the yoga cat cow pose series with your shirt off and eyes open but make sure you have the first nine digits of a crisis hotline already dialed before you begin.