Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

the problem with aj is watching the same terrible fmv like 60 times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Are you sure about that? Let's watch the clip one more time to make sure.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Man it's weird that I loving adored the AA series and for years prayed for a continuation following the same style and Ghost Trick is my favorite game of all time but I have Dual Destinies and PW vs. PL in my 3DS and :effort:
And what sucks the most is that it's hard to get back into those games after not playing for a while because they're so serialized and you might as well start over every time but again :effort:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

How the gently caress does that have 7.5 million views

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

TheKingofSprings posted:

Putting that and rainy mood on at the same time was a meme for a while

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

5/5 normies approve!

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I'm currently playing though the AA Trilogy and finished Justice For All like last week, but i've already forgotten what the last case was. I first thought it was the one with bizarro Gendo Ikari, but then i remembered that was the bonus DS case from the first game.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Matt Engarde is the final case of JFA

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

As someone who's playing through the AA games and just finished JFA, case 2-4 was really loving good.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

HenryEx posted:

I'm currently playing though the AA Trilogy and finished Justice For All like last week, but i've already forgotten what the last case was. I first thought it was the one with bizarro Gendo Ikari, but then i remembered that was the bonus DS case from the first game.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Finished up Paper Jam last night. I liked it a lot, despite it feeling like a very different beast from other M&L games. There are a LOT of minigames, minigames for special attacks, minigames to get paper toads, minigames to catch nabbit, it almost feels like you're playing Mario Party sometimes. That's not necessarily a negative, as sometimes they're actually pretty fun. I found myself occasionally wishing I could just get on with it already.

The good parts of the game really stand out though. It's just as funny and charming as the series has always been. The characters are all mainline-Nintendo, but they use them in some pretty fun and unique ways so it didn't bother me like I expected it to. I was also concerned about the transition from the really stylish 2D games to using 3D models faux-3D sprites, but the transition was made really well. The game world is gorgeous and all the characters have really great animations.

The boss fights are also amazing. Each one will have its own little gimmick that you have to catch onto, and they often use the 3D effects in some really cool ways (such as your party running towards the camera to escape a giant cannonball rolling towards them.)

One final thing I want to touch on is the battle cards. Once you get around 5 hours into the game you're introduced to these cards that you can collect and use in battle. The cards use "Star Points", which you gain by pulling off successful attacks (among other ways), and can do all sorts of things, from increasing power to turning your enemies into goombas. When these were first introduced to me, I thought it'd just be a dumb little gimmick that I'd mostly ignore. It actually turned out to be a lot of fun collecting cards and building a deck though, and they add a really cool layer of strategy onto the fights. I found myself using cards in pretty much every encounter I came to.

I would definitely recommend it. It took a couple hours to grow on me but once it did I was hooked.

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jan 31, 2016

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

As a aside, those aren't models, they're still sprites :v:

Only models in the game I can think of aside from the settings are the papercraft fights and mega luigi

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

As a aside, those aren't models, they're still sprites :v:

Only models in the game I can think of aside from the settings are the papercraft fights and mega luigi

ah, ok. Well yeah, I was just meaning going from this:

to this:

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

it's good to be the king

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

PantsBandit posted:

Finished up Paper Jam last night. I liked it a lot, despite it feeling like a very different beast from other M&L games. There are a LOT of minigames, minigames for special attacks, minigames to get paper toads, minigames to catch nabbit, it almost feels like you're playing Mario Party sometimes. That's not necessarily a negative, as sometimes they're actually pretty fun. I found myself occasionally wishing I could just get on with it already.

The good parts of the game really stand out though. It's just as funny and charming as the series has always been. The characters are all mainline-Nintendo, but they use them in some pretty fun and unique ways so it didn't bother me like I expected it to. I was also concerned about the transition from the really stylish 2D games to using 3D models but the transition was made really well. The game world is gorgeous and all the characters have really great animations.

The boss fights are also amazing. Each one will have its own little gimmick that you have to catch onto, and they often use the 3D effects in some really cool ways (such as your party running towards the camera to escape a giant cannonball rolling towards them.)

One final thing I want to touch on is the battle cards. Once you get around 5 hours into the game you're introduced to these cards that you can collect and use in battle. The cards use "Star Points", which you gain by pulling off successful attacks (among other ways), and can do all sorts of things, from increasing power to turning your enemies into goombas. When these were first introduced to me, I thought it'd just be a dumb little gimmick that I'd mostly ignore. It actually turned out to be a lot of fun collecting cards and building a deck though, and they add a really cool layer of strategy onto the fights. I found myself using cards in pretty much every encounter I came to.

I would definitely recommend it. It took a couple hours to grow on me but once it did I was hooked.

Thanks for the detailed impressions! I love the M&L series so I'm really glad this one came together so well. I'll definitely be picking this one up when I get some spare cash.

You know I was just grousing in the Final Fantasy thread about how that series has abandoned turn-based combat, and I totally forgot that a new M&L game was out! Thanks for the reminder, now I know I'll have another turn-based RPG to look forward to very soon.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

thorsilver posted:

Thanks for the detailed impressions! I love the M&L series so I'm really glad this one came together so well. I'll definitely be picking this one up when I get some spare cash.

You know I was just grousing in the Final Fantasy thread about how that series has abandoned turn-based combat, and I totally forgot that a new M&L game was out! Thanks for the reminder, now I know I'll have another turn-based RPG to look forward to very soon.

I plan on finishing it up very soon as well, and will probably list it for $30 on SA-Mart. Might be able to snag it there for a decent price (either through me or someone else), as Nintendo games take quite awhile to go on sale. I can vouch for everything you quoted. It has been a long time since I played a M&L game, so it all felt very fresh and very polished.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Speaking of Paper Jam there is a miiverse interview with the developers

Click view the oldest comments and just scroll down:
https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAAADVHk3QkSgUA

For anyone worried about how safe Paper Jam is you might find these three bits interesting:

quote:

Q:
Both the Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi series are known for their high-quality storylines, so did this aspect also turn out to be tricky to handle?

A:
...It did. We were thinking, since the paper characters were coming all the way from the paper world, let's make the main story something really bizarre, crammed with red herrings and misapprehensions. We had things like going back and forth to the paper world, and the Mushroom Kingdom turning gradually into paper... But we overdid it a bit, and the first draft of the plot ended up being a complete muddle that wouldn't resonate with anyone...
So we simplified the script and structured it with greater emphasis on showing the different characters meeting and interacting with each other. We had to do a lot of re-writes...

quote:

Q:
It sounds as if it was quite hard to get the balance of the characters right, like you'd adjust one thing, and it would cause a problem somewhere else... Mr Otani, I'd really like to hear some of your grumbles, as the Nintendo representative.

A:
No grumbles from me! Although... Actually, the in-house coordination was quite a big job. We really had to make an effort to give all three characters their own characteristics and chances to stand out, because when Paper Mario came to the fore too much, Mario and Luigi's parts seemed a bit thin by comparison. "Crossovers are tough, and I'd be the first one to say it!", I thought. But rewriting the script, adjusting the overworld actions, balancing the battles, and making sure that each character had their own special scenes resulted in lots more evolutions of the finished product than usual, so ultimately I think it turned out the better for it.

quote:

Q:
That reminds me: In the Mario & Luigi games, there are usually lots of interesting characters who don't appear in other Mario games, but this time it seemed to be mostly main-line characters. Was this also something to do with it being a crossover?

A:
Oh no, nothing to do with that! This time, since we had so many paper characters and doubles of the same character together, we had to prioritize moving the story forward and communicating the contrast between them. It would have been really difficult to put in original characters and work out when would be the best time for them to appear.

No Nintendo Mandate, just issues with being a crossover.

Electric Phantasm fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Feb 1, 2016

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
As someone who replayed JFA recently, JFA is pretty lame but 2-4 is great and Matt Engarde rules and did nothing wrong.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Canadians, LBX Little Battlers Experience for $20CAD: http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/lbx-little-battlers-experience-3ds/10380767.aspx

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Electric Phantasm posted:

please do not damage the narrative psychotic paper mario fans have created in their weird hosed up heads

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I heard Shigeru Miyamoto actually printed out Paper Mario and ripped him to shreds in front of Intelligent Systems

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
dear god

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Help Im Alive posted:

I heard Shigeru Miyamoto actually printed out Paper Mario and ripped him to shreds in front of Intelligent Systems

is paper mario gonna be ok???? :ohdear:

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
I went to the World Store in like, December 2012 and they had the paper-craft creations of the winners of the Paper Mario contest they had held a month or so beforehand. If he had visited the store during that time then at least he didn't wreck any of the displays there.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

I got an eShop giftcard for my birthday and I'm trying to figure out whether to use it now or just save it for Fates DLC.

I've been meaning to try out Monster Hunter for a long time now, but how soon is the next 3DS installment gonna come out? I don't want to buy 4 only for it to be obsoleted a month or two down the line.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

dmboogie posted:

I got an eShop giftcard for my birthday and I'm trying to figure out whether to use it now or just save it for Fates DLC.

I've been meaning to try out Monster Hunter for a long time now, but how soon is the next 3DS installment gonna come out? I don't want to buy 4 only for it to be obsoleted a month or two down the line.

they haven't said they're gonna release it in english so at best 6 months to a year and more likely never

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

dmboogie posted:

MHX probably isn't getting brought over. For 4 they only brought over the "Ultimate" edition (a second release with a deeper endgame and more content), and that hasn't been announced for MHX if they're even making one at all. Monster Hunter isn't as big outside of Japan so I think they know not to flood the market. Get 4U, it's been out a year and has a really strong multiplayer scene.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I remember in a old Nintendo Power there was a page that was just a cut-along-the-lines of Paper Mario and the page was labeled Free Demo. That was fun.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Monster Hunter is a million-seller outside of Japan nowadays; there's no way they won't bring MHX over and they have to do it this year, what with 3DS on the way out and all.

I'm curious to see if they'll bring over Monster Hunter Stories, the JRPG/anime tie-in game. That one looks really fun and a lot more accessible than MH proper so it'd probably sell well if they did.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I remember in a old Nintendo Power there was a page that was just a cut-along-the-lines of Paper Mario and the page was labeled Free Demo. That was fun.

This is cool.

otend
Jan 18, 2016
i've owned a new 3DS since the beginning of April 2015, and it has never stopped feeling awkward. I'm stuck here waiting for the New Nintendo 2DS that will never happen. The top screen ends up feeling heavy compared to the rest and means I can only hold the thing in my lap rather than any comfortable position

anyone else in this conundrum?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

otend posted:

i've owned a new 3DS since the beginning of April 2015, and it has never stopped feeling awkward. I'm stuck here waiting for the New Nintendo 2DS that will never happen. The top screen ends up feeling heavy compared to the rest and means I can only hold the thing in my lap rather than any comfortable position

anyone else in this conundrum?

No, sorry you have baby arms.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

absolutely anything posted:

please do not damage the narrative psychotic paper mario fans have created in their weird hosed up heads

Sticker Star wasn't even that bad. I didn't really like it, but I thought it was an okay game on its own merits. And yet people treat it like some sort of abomination.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

on the other hand all the mario rpgs since BiS have been kinda mediocre

i don't think there's some grand conspiracy behind it, i just think at the end of the day they're mediocre

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Electric Phantasm posted:

I'm starting to think that, generally, crossovers are a bad idea.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Cake Attack posted:

on the other hand all the mario rpgs since BiS have been kinda mediocre

i don't think there's some grand conspiracy behind it, i just think at the end of the day they're mediocre

Paper Jam is actually pretty good. It's not super amazing, and not on the level of SSS, BiS, and TTYD, but I'd say it's fun and worth a pick up. Granted it's pretty weak on the story side of things, but they do interesting things with the existing characters.

Motto posted:

I'm starting to think that, generally, crossovers are a bad idea.

From what I've seen and played of any crossovers, they seem to be more trouble than they're worth.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I imagine that "X meets Y" crossovers are a real pain to write, since you have to handle at least one set of characters you're unfamilar with, cram in a bunch of fanservice to satisfy fans of both IPs, and also try to contruct a story that's coherent and satisfying without leaving any consequential impact on the main characters. And that's not even touching the game design, which can pose similar issues.

This is why the best crossovers are games like Smash, SRW, and VS, which are original titles that just happen to star characters from different IPs.

Motto fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Feb 1, 2016

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I still can't do the hard mode toad herding mission. It's so loving stupid, I hate Toad so much.

Edit. I don't hate Toad. I just hate herding the toad cattle.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
don't ever say you hate toad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

noirstronaut posted:

don't ever say you hate toad

I'm sorry. I'm just upset right now.

I don't hate Toad.