Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Yo I finally leveled BLM again, whats the AoE rotation with Enhanced Umbral Hearts look like? 2xF2 > 2xFlare > Convert?

(random rear end side note, is there a problem with the Awful App? It hasn't worked in days for me)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Bard trash pull question: how many DoTs should I pass around before switching over to AoEs, especially while Mage's / Army's are ready? I presume if there are three or four things you'll want to DoT up everything but on bigger pulls you just want enough to make your song bonuses happen more or less immediately.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Thundarr posted:

Bard trash pull question: how many DoTs should I pass around before switching over to AoEs, especially while Mage's / Army's are ready? I presume if there are three or four things you'll want to DoT up everything but on bigger pulls you just want enough to make your song bonuses happen more or less immediately.

I like to tag 3 mobs with both DoTs. And then maybe half way or two-thirds through the song I’ll tag another mob with both if the pull will last long enough to justify it since one or more from the first DoTs batch should be dead by now.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Lord of Pie posted:

There was some blurb in the encyclopedia about some contraption in Azys Lla that was originally used to talk to communicate with Bahamut Jail that got repurposed for interstellar communication. So I guess we could get some Allagan spacemans in the future
I bet we will reach space in FFXIV sooner than in Star Citizen.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

itskage posted:

I failed the Kojin sworn instance today right at the end

Oh good, I was worried that was just me. I tried to get that pillar between me and the tether and then suddenly I just ate a ton of damage out of nowhere. I must've skirted the edge of one of the circle AOEs or something, I dunno. The second time I got through it, though.

The Level 70 BLM quest was kind of annoying, too, since you have to keep Enochain up, but also avoid the boss using Trounce twice, which would occasionally catch me unawares and cause the meteors to come down and spawn adds. And then you have to destroy the adds alone while their attacks interrupt all of your casts while STILL dodging Trounce, and :argh:.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Oct 29, 2017

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I still think the monk 70 quest was pretty ridiculous mainly on the weight of having too many targets. Oh hey, a healer NPC showed up that you need to kill so he'll stop topping off the boss. Too bad he's wearing the same outfit as every other NPC in this fight and there's like 15 guys to dig through while the boss is still beating the snot out of you.

But then I also failed the 68 dragoon quest because the breath attacks came out faster than I expected and I took unnecessary damage, then on the next run I mistook the normal solo duty buff for an Echo buff and clicked it off. :saddowns:

chlorophylls
May 8, 2013

I'm gonna kill you.
For career healers (WHMs in particular): What are your thoughts on mouseover macro healing? I'm not one to participate in cutting-edge content, nor do I plan to, and they've served me just fine so far, but I'd like to know what you all think.

Personally, it takes a load off my mind not having to constantly switch back and forth between targets when things are getting hectic (I keep the target on the boss/enemy for general DPSing and keeping their cast bar in view all the time and don't have to worry about missing something I should have seen coming up, focus target the tank so I don't have to click to see how many ticks their buffs/Regen have left), but I'm also aware that you can't queue macros which can be bad for a reactive healer like WHM, so I'm still weighing the pros and cons.

Also, is there anything more to Divine Benison? I've mainly been saving them for tank busters when I have the spare Lilies, or trying to save my own skin when I know heavy damage is incoming.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
I am finally getting around to leveling MCH to discard excess aiming gear learn more classes in the game (or... uh... to make sure that the Jump Potion I spent on the class was truly worth it).

After the class being a goddamn dumpster fire from 30 up to 64, I appreciate that now the class shifted from "boring water pistol effects" to "MICHAEL loving BAY" with the Heated Shots.

Too bad I'm still not quite sure if Overheat is something your supposed to do or is a pretty big gently caress up. I want to lean towards the latter, as I don't have Stabilizer yet.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

chlorophylls posted:

For career healers (WHMs in particular): What are your thoughts on mouseover macro healing? I'm not one to participate in cutting-edge content, nor do I plan to, and they've served me just fine so far, but I'd like to know what you all think.

Personally, it takes a load off my mind not having to constantly switch back and forth between targets when things are getting hectic (I keep the target on the boss/enemy for general DPSing and keeping their cast bar in view all the time and don't have to worry about missing something I should have seen coming up, focus target the tank so I don't have to click to see how many ticks their buffs/Regen have left), but I'm also aware that you can't queue macros which can be bad for a reactive healer like WHM, so I'm still weighing the pros and cons.

Also, is there anything more to Divine Benison? I've mainly been saving them for tank busters when I have the spare Lilies, or trying to save my own skin when I know heavy damage is incoming.
The lack of queuing hits your dps output more than anything. If you don't care about dps than do whatever. If you do care a lot about dps though you'll generally trim your macros down to instant gcds and ogcds and then learn which ones can go together without clipping your gcd too bad.

Benison is best visualized as an auto crit on a cure 2 at the cost some small dps from having to use the ogcd if you don't weave. Using it on a tankbuster is whatever, usually a waste of time unless you know the tank fumbled their CDs or hots are going weird. You are probably using it fine though since it being locked behind lilies is very annoying so it's hard to really plan for its best usage.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Oct 29, 2017

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I have cure1, esuna, and regen as mouseovers. Has worked well since 2.0. Tried with cure2 but when I have to spam it, the game has trouble with targeting in macros so it'd heal me instead of the tank 20% of the time and caused wipes

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

Thundarr posted:

I still think the monk 70 quest was pretty ridiculous mainly on the weight of having too many targets. Oh hey, a healer NPC showed up that you need to kill so he'll stop topping off the boss. Too bad he's wearing the same outfit as every other NPC in this fight and there's like 15 guys to dig through while the boss is still beating the snot out of you.

I've done the SMN 70 quest twice now. Second time was with solid ~i315 gear on 4.1 SMN, and was fine. First time was on launch SMN in leveling gear, and that was scary as hell between the 6-7 adds, the NPC helpers always seeming like they were on the brink of death, and the burn phase at 20% health.

Yes, there's a burn phase in a job quest. Kinda impressed by that, and I wonder how much it contributed to SMN's bad reputation, not that it needed help there.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

MechaX posted:

I am finally getting around to leveling MCH to discard excess aiming gear learn more classes in the game (or... uh... to make sure that the Jump Potion I spent on the class was truly worth it).

After the class being a goddamn dumpster fire from 30 up to 64, I appreciate that now the class shifted from "boring water pistol effects" to "MICHAEL loving BAY" with the Heated Shots.

Too bad I'm still not quite sure if Overheat is something your supposed to do or is a pretty big gently caress up. I want to lean towards the latter, as I don't have Stabilizer yet.

Yeah I just hit 64 on MCH yesterday and it's like someone finally flipped the fun switch. I'm not super clear on overheating either so my strategy has been to avoid doing it. I also forget about Wildfire more often than not. Still parsing ahead of everyone I DR with soooo whatever?

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Hyperactive posted:

Yeah I just hit 64 on MCH yesterday and it's like someone finally flipped the fun switch. I'm not super clear on overheating either so my strategy has been to avoid doing it. I also forget about Wildfire more often than not. Still parsing ahead of everyone I DR with soooo whatever?

Oh man I forget everything playing the class; I'll forget Hot Shot, I'll forget when I'm loaded or not, I'll forget Turrets on certain pulls, or I'll forget if I have Gauss Barrel on or not (I turned the graphic off, because I'm not quite fond of having an R-Type force attachment on my comical musket at all times unless it actually starts shooting laser beams).

But after doing some research, apparently sub-50 heat is definitely not something you're supposed to do, and you're only supposed to get to that state for Wildfire shenanigans once you get Stabilizer (can overheat and do Wildfire poo poo, and then do Stabilizer to get back to 50).

But as you said, the fun switch has definitely been switched to on. Too bad I never want to do any pre-64 content with the class ever again

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

I've done the SMN 70 quest twice now. Second time was with solid ~i315 gear on 4.1 SMN, and was fine. First time was on launch SMN in leveling gear, and that was scary as hell between the 6-7 adds, the NPC helpers always seeming like they were on the brink of death, and the burn phase at 20% health.

Yes, there's a burn phase in a job quest. Kinda impressed by that, and I wonder how much it contributed to SMN's bad reputation, not that it needed help there.

How'd you manage to do an instance twice? Why would you do an instance twice?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

SonicRulez posted:

Failed the first time.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

SonicRulez posted:

Leveled it up on my Midgardsormr character and my Excal one. The former at SB launch. :shepicide: I don't know why that didn't chase me off of this game permanently.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

chlorophylls posted:

As a career WHM, I've never considered them and I get by all right. You should always play what you feel comfortable with though.

Divine Benison's really good. I generally use it on cooldown because damage prevention is better than the Cure (1, 2 or 3) and generally because it can't hurt. I try not to use more than one Lily on it though.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

MechaX posted:

But after doing some research, apparently sub-50 heat is definitely not something you're supposed to do, and you're only supposed to get to that state for Wildfire shenanigans once you get Stabilizer (can overheat and do Wildfire poo poo, and then do Stabilizer to get back to 50).
Honestly, the way Wildfire works right now, it's too little benefit for too little work that's too easy to screw up through no fault of your own.

Wildfire isn't fun, it's stressful. Like it's fun to try to squeeze in just one more Fell Cleave even if you flub it. BUT it's just lovely to whiff your entire Wildfire because of an invincibility phase or you hit one wrong button and it's gonna be another 90 seconds or whatever before everything lines up so you can try again. And your reward for a perfect Wildfire is an anemic little poof of DPS. Just replace Wildfire with a DoT with potency/duration that'll do whatever the average DPS they expect current Wildfire to contribute to the job and make it only castable while overheating. Less frustration, less trouble, same result.

quote:

Too bad I never want to do any pre-64 content with the class ever again
Ohhh it is torture.

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug

chlorophylls posted:

I don't use mouse over for WHM but I have considered it for regen only. I basically never hard cast a direct heal spell on anyone but the tank. I do use one for forcing my fairy to heal a certain target on Scholar. I don't do that often but its nice to use on the rare occasion that so I can stay targeted myself on the tank or boss.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

I like MCH having a lot of abilities with low cooldowns but yeah if they got rid of wildfire entirely or made it less stressful (maybe get rid of Rapid Fire?) I'd like the job more.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah wildfire made me drop MCH entirely, it's way too stressful for how I play the game.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
I also dinged 64 on my MCH today, in the middle of a Shisui run. I guess that's where all the flash and pomp went, because Wildfire and Flamethrower are pretty :effort:

I admit, I like the idea of Wildfire. It's a little burst window where you can specifically optimize and squeeze out the very most out of your abilities, but it also dooms every skill to being tied to it.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
If you don't like the idea of cramming skills into your steroid window I have terrible news for you about the other 8 dps classes.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Saint Freak posted:

If you don't like the idea of cramming skills into your steroid window I have terrible news for you about the other 8 dps classes.

And at least one tank class

Tho I think it's more that the Wildfire damage number popup is kind of a big "Haha gently caress You" if you screw it up. Like I know it when I drop a Fell Cleave on Warrior and it feels bad, but there's no number popup of "here's exactly how badly you just hosed up and how much of a shitter you are" at the end of Berserk. If Wildfire were just +25% Damage for 10 seconds I think it'd be less stressful.

Magres fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Oct 29, 2017

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012
if i'm honest if you took away wildfire then machinist would be the most boring class in the game.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Saint Freak posted:

That's not the problem, the problem is that almost all of MCH's cooldowns line up perfectly with Wildfire so there's no reason to ever use them without Wildfire. So outside a Wildfire phase you're doing 1211412123 with the occasional Gauss Round and Quick Reload.

BRD, MNK, and SAM all have stuff come up regularly and there's much more internal variety.

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Wildfire is lovely because it shines a light on how lovely mch feels to play 90% of the time. Instead of feeling like you're doing cool things 10 seconds out of every minute, you should feel like you're doing cool things the entire fight and extra cool things every wildfire window.

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

SKULL.GIF posted:

That's not the problem, the problem is that almost all of MCH's cooldowns line up perfectly with Wildfire so there's no reason to ever use them without Wildfire. So outside a Wildfire phase you're doing 1211412123 with the occasional Gauss Round and Quick Reload.

BRD, MNK, and SAM all have stuff come up regularly and there's much more internal variety.

Bard feels like you're doing nothing until you're in wanderer's again so I disagree on that part. Bloodletter procs have been a thing forever and honestly aren't that amazing feeling since you just mash the bloodletter button between every GCD and soldier's is just laughable. I honestly prefer how machinist feels because wildfire is satisfying to do and a lot less watching for procs every second of combat

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
MCH owns and so does Wildfire, git gud I guess :shrug:

Dryzen posted:

Bard feels like you're doing nothing until you're in wanderer's again so I disagree on that part. Bloodletter procs have been a thing forever and honestly aren't that amazing feeling since you just mash the bloodletter button between every GCD and soldier's is just laughable. I honestly prefer how machinist feels because wildfire is satisfying to do and a lot less watching for procs every second of combat

Also this, holy poo poo I can't get why people flip out over BRD so much. It's like the poo poo I used to play in WoW back in the day, here's a bunch of timers to watch and poo poo that randomly lights up. Wee. I get that people like different things, so you can keep your lovely whackamole and I'll keep my Wildfire. :colbert:

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

I can understand people not liking wildfire but honestly being able to do the maximum damage rotation every wildfire is great vs hoping to loving god that reflugent procs for barrage before you have to use it on empryeal

or when reflugent procs like 3 times during army's and then never during that same window

or when you get tons of dot crits during army's and then none in wanderer's

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Hra Mormo posted:

MCH owns and so does Wildfire, git gud I guess :shrug:

Sorry, the rest of us got too good and pushed the phase. :rip: wildfire

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

hobbesmaster posted:

Sorry, the rest of us got too good and pushed the phase. :rip: wildfire

loving lol if you don't have a fight memorized

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
It's pretty easy to assume what the playerbase prefers if you look at any job popularity poll what with bard clubbin it up at the top with redmage and machinist almost consistently bringing up the rear. I mean if you don't like proc based gameplay, sure you won't like bard because that's its entire identity which it actually follows through with the entire time you're playing it. I have no idea what the identity of mch is supposed to be other then, has wildfire, feels like garbage the other 90% of the time.

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

Velthice posted:

It's pretty easy to assume what the playerbase prefers if you look at any job popularity poll what with bard clubbin it up at the top with redmage and machinist almost consistently bringing up the rear. I mean if you don't like proc based gameplay, sure you won't like bard because that's its entire identity which it actually follows through with the entire time you're playing it. I have no idea what the identity of mch is supposed to be other then, has wildfire, feels like garbage the other 90% of the time.

Yeah I don't think machinist is anywhere near as fun as a lot of the melee dps but I really don't enjoy bard any more than I do machinist after playing it for this long. I do like the whole idea of the bard rotation moving from song to song but I just wish it didn't give me the same feeling as fishing for balances used to

They kind of fixed this when they lowered the barrage cooldown at least but I am probably still just remembering what it was like before that too much

Dryzen fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Oct 29, 2017

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
I think it's good that there be an alternative to bard for people who don't like the playstyle, but I think that alternative could be a lot better than what mch is now. I'm not sure how or what would need fixing though. A clearer rotation? More varied damage windows? :iiam:

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
Is there any way to find a good rotation for abilities in this game? I've checked out RDM guides but some of them just seem incredibly obtuse and not at all fun to do :(

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

I think the heat mechanic is the thing that hurts machinist the most right now because it has been all over the place. It went from being something everyone assumed was a thing you didn't want to do to turning out to be a thing it seemed you were meant to do yet was undertuned. Even after they buffed it it's still barely a dps increase and lots of people and guides recommend only doing it if you're able to do it perfectly every time.

I think they already said that they're worried about doing anything that increases machinist's damage too much but those are all things that must have just went unnoticed by them when they redesigned it and it has hurt it a ton.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Stalins Moustache posted:

Is there any way to find a good rotation for abilities in this game? I've checked out RDM guides but some of them just seem incredibly obtuse and not at all fun to do :(

Red mage is genuinely very very simple.

Jolt is your opener. From here you do Veraero or Verthunder. Repeat this combo, using Veraero is White Mana is lower or Verthunder if Black Mana is lower.

A) If Verstone/Verfire is procced swap it for Jolt in your opener.
B) When you unlock Impact replace Jolt in your combo with Impact if Verstone/Verfire doesn't proc.
C) When you hit 80-80 mana you do your melee combo and follow it with Verflare (if White Mana is higher) or Verholy (if Black Mana is higher.)
D) Basically use your magic sword skills on cooldown.

There are ways to optimize but that's basically it. AoE is basically 'spam Scatter at 3 or more."

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

I've been leveling up my Rogue and Pugilist to take advantage of the command mission leveling, and I have just one question.

What kind of masochist would willingly play pugilist/monk with all these goddamn positionals?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bolow posted:

I've been leveling up my Rogue and Pugilist to take advantage of the command mission leveling, and I have just one question.

What kind of masochist would willingly play pugilist/monk with all these goddamn positionals?

I don't know about Monk but Ninja is so loving fun. I honestly can't enjoy any of the other melee DPs classes because it feels like I'm moving through molasses playing them in comparison. Plus Mudra has some of the most satisfying sound in the game.