Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Personally since I switched over to braid in rocky enviroment I’ve only lost gear from knot connecting to the jig. Never had get cut. I fished with mono for about 15 years and had quite lines cut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I feel like most complaints about braid are of the old man yells at cloud variety.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied

SoapyTarantula posted:

Also been looking at picking up a baitcaster, as the one I sometimes bring is older than I am, anyone in the thread have experience with cheaper (under $70-80) baitcasters? Any specific brands I should avoid / look for? I'm never going to fish salt-water and don't really need crazy high capacity.

LingcodKilla posted:

Abu-Garcia has solid designs and their budget reels could be that low or lower.

Elmnt80 posted:

A black max is always a good option. Daiwa also has some sub $100 options that are supposed to be super nice for their price point in an "80 size" baitcaster. The CR80 has some good reviews at $80.

If you are willing to step up just a hair, the abu garcia revo x is a hell of a workhorse reel at $100.

When I got back in to fishing a few years back after a long time away, the black max was one of the 1st ones I picked up. I did the black with red, black gold, and then got the silver one and all of them have been practically bomb proof and really solid.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Casting braid on a super windy day is the only drawback. If your line even goes remotely slack, the wind makes a beautiful wind knot.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Sockington posted:

Casting braid on a super windy day is the only drawback. If your line even goes remotely slack, the wind makes a beautiful wind knot.

This is a good point. I always did vertical jigging.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Sockington posted:

This is doubly true if you're doing any kind of long distance casting, like surf fishing. Braid is also extremely efficient at slicing through your fingers like cheese wire.

And yayyyyy walters are back! :neckbeard:

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

SoapyTarantula posted:

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll probably go for the black max as a starter for now, especially because the left handed version isn't an extra $20.

Also as a side-question, is braid really as fragile when it comes to abrasion as I hear? There's all sorts of poo poo in the waters I go to and I've wanted to try it out, but I don't know if I should be concerned about line breaks more than I would be with mono.

It isn't as abrasion resistant as mono but I've found fishing from a rock ledge to be the only time this has been an issue. Slimey, rotting submerged timber isn't very abrasive and I've skull dragged big carp out of that crap on several occasions without any dramas.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

This is doubly true if you're doing any kind of long distance casting, like surf fishing. Braid is also extremely efficient at slicing through your fingers like cheese wire.

And yayyyyy walters are back! :neckbeard:

Wind knots are usually because the line isn't being wound onto the reel tight enough, or you're using poo poo braid. I've probably made over a thousand casts fishing for australian salmon in the surf with metal slugs and the only wind knot I got happened because the first turn of the reel after casting wrapped a loop of line around the drag knob.

Tightening up your drag usually avoids the issue of cut fingers. It doesn't need to be all the way up, just enough that the force of casting doesn't cause the braid to slip across your finger. Again, over many thousands of casts the only time I've cut myself was when the lure got caught on a rock behind me on the back swing.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Speaking of braid, I decided against the bigger reel and went with some heavier line instead. This poo poo is the absolute tits, the breaking strain is nearly twice that of the previous braid but it is 30% thinner so I should be able to get nearly the full 600m on the spool.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Spinning reels with light jigs and decent winds, is more the experience I’m thinking.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Sockington posted:

I've never really had this issue with braid and I've been using it almost exclusively for a decade. I tend to use 30lb as a all around line on baitcasters, 40 or 50lb on baitcasters for dealing with pads/grass mats/etc, 15 or 20 on spinning reels for finesse work (throwing 1/8 jig heads in heavy wind). I've been using a floro leader for all around and finesse situations, but never more than 6 ft or so. I'll retie when I get to 2 - 2 1/2 ft remaining. I find it much easier to deal with than mono or floro, but there are still applications where I'll use mono, such as a cranking setup or fishing chatter baits in grass to take advantage of its stretch.

Try a spool of daiwa j8 braid. Its mostly what I've been using for the last year, aside from seaguar kanzen. If you really wanna spend money, the seaguar smackdown braid is supposed to be absolutely top of the line stuff and has converted at least one person I know to throwing braid on everything.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Maybe this got oversold on the “defend the braid” march, but I use it exclusively. I’m just saying every once and a while, in high winds winds, it’ll gently caress up.

As you can see by the walter hauls, I fish a gently caress ton and I rarely see it unless I’m getting 60km/h+ gusts across the river towards me. It’s like the perfect storm for poo poo to go wrong.

I never respool more than once a year, so it works out great for me. I’ve been using a fluro leader and things have been well.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Wan't meant as an attack or a "must defend braid", just a differing opinion. Sorry if it came off that way. I'd be willing to bet you could outfish me 10:1 on the ponds around here, and we ain't even got walters for you to target. Also you look 100% better in jorts. :biglips:

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Sometimes, you have to shake it thrice.
Braid is the best! I caught a new species yesterday, woop woop.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

gay picnic defence posted:

Wind knots are usually because the line isn't being wound onto the reel tight enough, or you're using poo poo braid. I've probably made over a thousand casts fishing for australian salmon in the surf with metal slugs and the only wind knot I got happened because the first turn of the reel after casting wrapped a loop of line around the drag knob.

Tightening up your drag usually avoids the issue of cut fingers. It doesn't need to be all the way up, just enough that the force of casting doesn't cause the braid to slip across your finger. Again, over many thousands of casts the only time I've cut myself was when the lure got caught on a rock behind me on the back swing.

My gripes were based on spinning reels, if it makes a difference. I don't know how to cast without an open bail and having the line slip off my finger at least a little. I actually haven't cut my finger on the beach since you advised me to tie a long mono shock leader to my braid mainline for my surf rig. That has worked a treat.

Also, I see that the braid that you posted is round and the braid that cut me was flat. Is this good braid vs poo poo braid, or 39 kg braid vs 4 kg?

Sockington posted:

Spinning reels with light jigs and decent winds, is more the experience I’m thinking.

Yeah, this is when I've had trouble with wind knots; I was mixed up before. The heavy tackle for cuts, the too-light tackle for the knots.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

joem83 posted:

Braid is the best! I caught a new species yesterday, woop woop.

Don’t eat dat

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

what even is that guy?

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

ROFLburger posted:

what even is that guy?

I thought it was a foul hooked sand dollar?

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Limpet. They're good bait if you cut them off the shell from what i hear

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Probably good to eat, too. I'll grill any mollusk with some garlic butter.

LingcodKilla posted:

Don’t eat dat

Why not?

VVV Oh, that's why.

A Pack of Kobolds fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Apr 19, 2019

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Definitely a sand dollar. I've never actually seen a living one before, just countless dead ones on the beach.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sand_dollar

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Heh. Yeah the ones in WA/CA are a really vibrate purple color when still alive. Also I’ve never heard of anyone trying to eat them.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied
Is mono mostly "done" in the fishing world at least for freshwater? Or at least it is mostly seen as obsolete or at least not as often used...

I have moved mostly to flouro and braid personally. Sure there is buoyancy concerns with certain styles, but like for spinner baits for example, I really don't see or feel much difference using flouro over mono. I mean obviously my eyes aren't underwater, but so far so good.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I have seen many panfish bites on braid that was on the surface of the water

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Not really. Mono has some very distinct advantages over braid and floro that make it useful for certain presentations and lures. Crankbaits and Chatterbaits are the two that readily come to mind. When fishing these lures in grass, they tend to bind up forcing you to rip them free. The stretch of mono gives it a much more gentle action when ripping free which will get the bait vibrating again rather than the sudden jerking motion of braid or floro. This on its own can trigger a fish to strike. The same thing with a jerk bait. The stretch in mono can impart a more natural motion compared to the violence of the other lines. Sometimes this is more desirable when you want a more subtle approach. The last way the stretch inherent to mono is useful is absorbing a fish's attempts to throw the hook when using smaller hooks and heavier rods, such as with treble hooks. Its sinking properity is also useful for getting a bait down easier and getting it deeper. I've got 6 rods in rotation. 5 are rigged with braid, the last is my lews (7' med hev/fast) rigged with sunline natural 14lb mono and is primarily for throwing shallow running cranks and chatter baits in and around grass and sees plenty of use.

A few brands have also come out with a premium monofilament line in recent years. Thinner and stronger but with the same properties that make mono desirable to use. Suffix is one and sunline also has a few premium monofilimant lines. I think more what we are seeing is mono no longer being the generic "go to" line and instead people are matching their line to the application.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

hagie posted:

Is mono mostly "done" in the fishing world at least for freshwater? Or at least it is mostly seen as obsolete or at least not as often used...

I have moved mostly to flouro and braid personally. Sure there is buoyancy concerns with certain styles, but like for spinner baits for example, I really don't see or feel much difference using flouro over mono. I mean obviously my eyes aren't underwater, but so far so good.

I know a gun trout fisherman who only uses mono because he fishes wading in rocky streams. Braid would wear through after a couple of sessions from the abrasion against the rocks.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

GUN TROUT is a wonderful combination of words and would make a pro-tier username, or at least title for something. My googling shows ambiguous results as to what a gun trout is or what it looks like, so I'm going to assume it is a trout which looks like a gun. Or maybe a trout which requires a gun, a trout so large that you need to shoot it in the head to land it, like a Pacific Halibut.

Speaking of trout, Hooplah and I didn't catch any on Lake Washington yesterday. It was a beautiful day out on the water, though, and nice to get some practice with the gear. We're getting a lot better and setting up and tearing down the boat, but still working on finding the fish and putting lures in front of them. Trolling without downriggers is tricky. I made some neat in-line trolling sinkers that I'm sure will help once I know what the gently caress I'm doing. Most of my extremely limited trolling experience has been in shallow lakes where you just trail a spinner or a spoon behind a flasher without any extra weight at all. The part of Lake Washington where we fished was like 170' deep about 40 yards off the bank and I don't know what to do with that yet.

Hooplah is a good sport for putting the time in on the water without having much fish to show for it. It's been frustrating to come home emptyhanded so often, but I'm confident that there will be a Eureka moment or two with enough experience.

Here's a fancy dicklure that nothing bit on. Yes, I trimmed the tag end.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I hooked another big tuna today, I had this one under control and it was towing the kayak around at 5km/h when the drag seized as the fish did a loop underneath me, and I had to make a split second decision whether to get pulled out of the kayak or to ditch the rod.

despite losing another fish and an approx $300 combo it was still an amazing day on the water, I had a pod of dolphins follow me around for a couple of kilometers, leaping and goofing around just in front of the yak. Less welcome were the seals which came right next to me to check out a small mackerel I just caught that they were very interested in - for a while I thought I was going to end up with one on my lap.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Lol. Can you get a rod with a clip to attach a float/small fender to in the future?
Nah too impractical to use.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Yeah I always thought you kayak guys attached the rod to the kayak.

Also, tuna fishing from a kayak??

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Enigma posted:

Oh hell no I’m not attaching anything to me that could rip me under. Thought I’m fishing for little flatfish and not tuna.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Do you not keep a knife to cut a line if need be? Also, what are you gonna replace it with?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Enigma posted:

No, this is precisely why you shouldn’t attach anything to the kayak, especially when the breaking strain of the line is so high. Better to lose a rod than potentially lose a bunch of tackle and risk getting tangled and dragged under, or have the kayak towed away from me with a fish attached.

Probably not such an issue using lighter lines that would break before they tip the kayak over or when chasing small fish but these are big, powerful fish and I could drag the kayak up the beach with the line I’m using.

Elmnt80 posted:

Do you not keep a knife to cut a line if need be? Also, what are you gonna replace it with?

Yeah I’ve got a knife on me. It all happened so quick though, one second line was peeling off the reel, split second later the kayak was tipping over. If I had time I’d have just backed the drag off a bit to free it up. I’ve ordered a 30-50lb Fin Nor boat rod as a replacement, not fancy but all I’m doing is trolling so all I need is a broomstick. I’ve got another reel ready to go, just got to change the line and give it a service so hopefully I avoid a repeat of the drag problem.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

What's your trolling setup for your kayak? Do you have a little downrigger for it?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

What's your trolling setup for your kayak? Do you have a little downrigger for it?

Just flatline trolling with a heavy 7’ rod. Sometimes I’ll attach a sinker to the line with a rubber band if I want to run the bait a bit deeper but this is more to keep it away from birds than to reach fish down deep.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I murderboxed a few perch for dinner at the local lake tonight. The biggest was 47cm which is pretty big for these guys, got a nice couple of fillets of it.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

gay picnic defence posted:

I murderboxed a few perch for dinner at the local lake tonight. The biggest was 47cm which is pretty big for these guys, got a nice couple of fillets of it.

Australian perch have prettier fins than North American yellow perch. I'm oddly jealous about this inconsequential fact.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Australian perch have prettier fins than North American yellow perch. I'm oddly jealous about this inconsequential fact.

The species is actually European perch, they were introduced here and are now a serious pest. They are quite closely related to your yellow perch. We tend to just call them redfin

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

I got a ticket from DFW on Sunday for fishing at a lake without a permit. Every lake in San Diego makes you pay 8-10 bucks for a daily permit on top of also requiring you to have your license. I usually buy the permits when I decide to torture myself by fishing freshwater, but on that particular Sunday my littlest one was napping and my two older boys were just chilling playing games, so I decided to bounce out to the lake by my house for a little 30-45 minute sesh. Me: "I've never seen DFW out here in all the times I've fished here. I'll just fish a bit and then head home."

10 minutes after I start, here comes mister DFW... lol.

Can't wait to see what kind of absurd fine I get, the dude said it was the lowest of the infractions he gives out but you know how poo poo goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoapyTarantula
Jun 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I haven't even seen a game warden out here since getting my license this year, but I know that if I didn't have one for whatever reason then he'd show up. Wardens out here have two types; younger guys who think they're the wildlife version of Judge Dredd, and 60 year old good ole boys that only fine you if you aren't their friend. I've had more interactions with city police asking to verify my stuff than I have had with the department of wildlife.

Paying for a daily pond permit sounds like poo poo. I get that's "just how it is" in some places but gently caress.

SoapyTarantula fucked around with this message at 19:48 on May 1, 2019