Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

SirDan3k posted:

Nobody with an ounce of comic knowledge should get mad about Cap's heel turn but that exploded.

I honestly doubt Rhodes will still be dead at the end of the crossover but the required shocking death of the crossover not getting any attention is weird to me.

Yes I'm in the flash forward camp, if it ends differently it'll be because so many people called it. "Ulysses is actually Hawk!"

Rhodes isn't even going to be the shocking death. That'll be when (probably) Banner dies in the next issue. People will be dumb and get mad about that because it's a name they actually care about. They'll still be dumb for it.

Also people are forgetting Rhodes death was shown in the FCBD issue so his death was old news by the time Civil War II actually started coming out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

It was overshadowed by the Cap thing basically.,

That overshadowed everything that week. Including, amazingly, DC killing off their entire universe, again.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

SynthOrange posted:

That overshadowed everything that week. Including, amazingly, DC killing off their entire universe, again.

Well, to be fair, it's kinda easy to overshadow something that didn't happen.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
I think it's disingenuous to say that people are silly for getting upset about character deaths in mainstream comics, since almost anything can be retconned, so the argument can be made that you shouldn't get excited about anything either. I don't want to seem hyper-dramatic on the internet with this argument, but One More Day, Cap's entire history (I know, I know) etc do show that very few things are sacred.
Regardless, surely it's a good thing that people care after all these years? I say this as someone who gets frustrated at the whining against more diverse legacy characters too.

That said, killing off a black character during Civil War again, while in the same issue resurrecting someone without even putting much effort in... comics are weird. I'm mostly concerned about Shulkie since she's amazing in Hellcat and A-Force, and her recent solo series owned. She'd be such a loss to them, but I'm confident she'll be fine and I hope that the next Hellcat issue is still fun, despite everything.

EDIT: Bring back Phyla-Vell!

Metalshark fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Jun 24, 2016

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Nobby posted:

The only non-original characters Arena/Undercover maybe does well with are Hazmat and Cammi, and those are skeptical maybes.
Its kind of clear also he really, really, likes Dethlocket, to the point he put her in his Secret Wars House of M miniseries.

KittyEmpress posted:

You say that everyone is back eventually, but Mettle is still dead, and that is the worst thing.

Yeah, I realize not even 1% of comics fans care about him. :smith:
Him and Juston & his Sentinel are still raw wounds.

Metalshark posted:

I think it's disingenuous to say that people are silly for getting upset about character deaths in mainstream comics, since almost anything can be retconned, so the argument can be made that you shouldn't get excited about anything either. I don't want to seem hyper-dramatic on the internet with this argument, but One More Day, Cap's entire history (I know, I know) etc do show that very few things are sacred.
Regardless, surely it's a good thing that people care after all these years? I say this as someone who gets frustrated at the whining against more diverse legacy characters too.

That said, killing off a black character during Civil War again, while in the same issue resurrecting someone without even putting much effort in... comics are weird. I'm mostly concerned about Shulkie since she's amazing in Hellcat and A-Force, and her recent solo series owned. She'd be such a loss to them, but I'm confident she'll be fine and I hope that the next Hellcat issue is still fun, despite everything.

EDIT: Bring back Phyla-Vell!
The issue is usually when it's a lesser-known character who doesn't have many fans. Then you're basically screwed. Especially if the death itself was crap, or in a crap story. If a character gets a Gjallerbru moment, or a 'rot in hell, Max', that softens the blow, but if it's just to show that ~nobody is safe~ in your Hunger Games ripoff, then that's not a good thing. I mean were people really clamouring for Barry Allen or Kraven the Hunter or Harry Osborn back? Those guys all died in great stories. If you're going to kill a character off (and don't already have plans to bring them back), you should try and make it mean something, even if in story the death was seemingly senseless (like Doug Ramsey). Hell, we all knew Steve Rogers was coming back after Civil War eventually, but they still made use care.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Everything Bendis and Breevort have said makes it sound like they are not planning to bring him back, they just don't want to say "he'll never come back" because they know some other writer may bring him back eventually.

They're hedging hard enough on She-Hulk that I'm sure she'll recover, plus having someone in a coma for several issues ending with "welp she died" is anticlimactic as hell - if she was going to die she'd have died.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Uh, so I have a question about buying comics.

I only read digital comics because my eyes aren't very good and I need them to be on my PC monitor. Anyway, I found this site called comixology and it seems to have...almost everything, really. In terms of mainstream comics, I'm only interested in certain X-books but it also has Watchmen, which I want to read.

But anyway, I'm listening to a podcast about X-Men that advises Marvel Unlimited to read back issues. Should I get that instead of comixology? I had already found most of the books I wanted on comixology as I'm trying to buy a lot of Rachel Summers/Grey stuff and drat near all of it is on there. (except Excalibur. Most of it is missing)

But I don't know which site to use for this. Should I just try both?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

NikkolasKing posted:

I only read digital comics because my eyes aren't very good and I need them to be on my PC monitor. Anyway, I found this site called comixology and it seems to have...almost everything, really. In terms of mainstream comics, I'm only interested in certain X-books but it also has Watchmen, which I want to read.

But anyway, I'm listening to a podcast about X-Men that advises Marvel Unlimited to read back issues. Should I get that instead of comixology? I had already found most of the books I wanted on comixology as I'm trying to buy a lot of Rachel Summers/Grey stuff and drat near all of it is on there. (except Excalibur. Most of it is missing)

Try Marvel Unlimited first. It's only a small flat fee for everything, whereas Comixology charges you per issue. Use Comixology to fill in gaps you find on Marvel Unlimited.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

NikkolasKing posted:

comixology you buy the issues while Marvel unlimited you bay a fee and you get the entire catalog.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

NikkolasKing posted:

It's not really a matter of getting both. Comixology is just a store that has everything, new and old, and you buy per issue just like physical. Marvel Unlimited is a monthly or yearly subscription with the ability to read everything in it for free, which basically means everything Marvel that is more than 6 months old. I use MU for reading stuff that it has, adn buy whatever else I want to read on Comixology.

Another note, comixology is just a storefront - if you download the Marvel or DC or Image comics reading apps, they are just the same thing except only showing that portion of the store.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

JoshTheStampede posted:

Everything Bendis and Breevort have said makes it sound like they are not planning to bring him back, they just don't want to say "he'll never come back" because they know some other writer may bring him back eventually.

They're hedging hard enough on She-Hulk that I'm sure she'll recover, plus having someone in a coma for several issues ending with "welp she died" is anticlimactic as hell - if she was going to die she'd have died.

Since I'm pretty sure Banner is going to die, that would probably mean She-Hulk is safe and will have more purpose after the event.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Codependent Poster posted:

Since I'm pretty sure Banner is going to die, that would probably mean She-Hulk is safe and will have more purpose after the event.

She's also in multiple decently popular books, whereas Banner was in none until last week and Rhodey was in 1, sometimes.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Here's some more of those teasers Marvel's been posting.

Ms Marvel and Riri Williams

Black Panther and Prowler

America Chavez and Dr. Doom

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
How many captain America related heroes are there? I know of John Walker, Battlestar, American Eagle, Jack Flagg, Bucky, and Sam Wilson. Is there anymore? If there is we need a Captain Americas book.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Mr Hootington posted:

How many captain America related heroes are there? I know of John Walker, Battlestar, American Eagle, Jack Flagg, Bucky, and Sam Wilson. Is there anymore? If there is we need a Captain Americas book.

US Agent. You could throw Nuke in there I guess?

Robot Danger
Mar 18, 2012
Comixology just launched an Unlimited plan with a 30 day free trial, though it looks mostly Image stuff is currently available.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Robot Danger posted:

Comixology just launched an Unlimited plan with a 30 day free trial, though it looks mostly Image stuff is currently available.

It's a lot of non-Big 2 stuff, but it seems to be more of a "The first trade of everything" sort of plan than an "everything older than X" plan like Marvel. It's cheaper, too, so maybe that is what peoepl are looking for. It's more of a way to get into new things than a way to catch up on old stuff.

\/\/ To be fair, it only looks bad compared to Marvel Unlimited. If you read like, one thing every two months off it you've broken even.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Robot Danger posted:

Yep don't get it because it is pretty much a sampler.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
I've got and am enjoying Marvel Unlimited, but I heard that Comixology pretty much gave you unlimited IDW comics confirm/deny?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

I've got and am enjoying Marvel Unlimited, but I heard that Comixology pretty much gave you unlimited IDW comics confirm/deny?

Deny. Usually just the first trade of the series.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Comixology Unlimited is probably good for a month if you want to sign up and try out the first arc of several books from smaller companies. There's no reason whatsoever to keep it for more than one month though. The plan is basically you paying a smaller fee to try out several new books and then you pay more if you like them.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Thanks everyone. I'll try out MU next week when I have some money.

Or I plan to, anyway. I just want to make sure of something. I can read comics on my Windows Desktop, right? I don't need this App for a smartphone or whatever? Because that would kind of be missing the point that I need a big screen to read these things.(pretty sure Archie only lets you read stuff via a phone app now in terms of digital comics, for instance) On the FAQ it says this new version is only on certain devices and I'm jut not sure what that might mean.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
MU works fine on browsers, but it's a pain to navigate, or was, the last time I had it.

JoshTheStampede posted:

US Agent. You could throw Nuke in there I guess?

He already said USAgent (John Walker).

American Dream, if you're counting MC2. The 3 different Nomads. Golden Girl. And Free Spirit, that one weird attempt to both give Cap a new sidekick and try this new 'women's lib' thing by making the character a violent brainwashed misandrist who dressed in skimpy outfits.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Gaz-L posted:

And Free Spirit, that one weird attempt to both give Cap a new sidekick and try this new 'women's lib' thing by making the character a violent brainwashed misandrist who dressed in skimpy outfits.

I can't believe no one took Gruenwald out back and told him it was time to stop writing when he pitched that poo poo.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

So I've spent the past couple days reading up on Teens in Crisis (Avengers Initiative/Academy, Young Avengers vol. 1 and all of BKV's Runaways).

Avengers Initiative was a loving mess but once past the first "season" or whatever (when the new class came on and Taskmaster was brought on as an instructor) the series dramatically improved in quality. It also helped that Initiative had tie-ins to events that made logical sense, so the Secret Invasion/Dark Reign/Siege tie-in issues were all really fantastic. Dark Reign, especially, changed the status quo of the series in a way that felt really intuitive and earned.

Academy was, start-to-finish, a fantastic series. It added new characters in a way that made total sense and everyone grew and changed at an organic rate, while the underlying mystery of the series - are these kids good or bad - was addressed in clever enough ways to constantly engage. I honestly wonder why Avengers Academy isn't just, like, an ongoing thing (mutant academy without all the baggage of the X-Men, basically), like an ongoing title that constantly introduces - and promotes - new teen hero characters. It's really kinda surprising. But yeah, fantastic series.

I liked YA volume 1 but to me it's vastly inferior to volume 2, which had a better and more interesting cast (Gillen's Loki is my single favorite Marvel character ever) and I really liked the setup for volume 2, with a constant overwhelming threat over a collection of smaller arcs that build loosely into an overall story. But yeah, even besides Loki I think Noh-Varr/America Chavez/Prodigy and collectively more interesting than Iron Lad/young Vision/Patriot. I also think Kate Bishop works as a better character after having gone through Fraction's Hawkeye which is the version that Gillen went with.

In general I just find volume 2 to be more cohesive and to use the flavor of Runaways that nobody besides Gillen was really using, the idea of a bunch of super-powered young people against the world.

Which brings me to Runaways. The standout of the the group, Vaughn's run on the book is a loving classic, 42 issues of pure quality from beginning to end. It's obviously a hugely influential book reading it even a decade-plus after it came out, and was a really engrossing book from start to finish. Old Lace rules. I wish that the later volumes were considered good because I still would love to read those characters doing their thing (although it's nice to finally see who the hell Nico Minoru on A-Force is or why Victor on Vision is such a big deal), but yeah, fantastic series.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

NikkolasKing posted:

Thanks everyone. I'll try out MU next week when I have some money.

Or I plan to, anyway. I just want to make sure of something. I can read comics on my Windows Desktop, right? I don't need this App for a smartphone or whatever? Because that would kind of be missing the point that I need a big screen to read these things.(pretty sure Archie only lets you read stuff via a phone app now in terms of digital comics, for instance) On the FAQ it says this new version is only on certain devices and I'm jut not sure what that might mean.

Totally, it has a browser version, even has the whole "panel to panel" sorta zoom or you can just click to see the whole page and then a general zoom. It's pretty great, i'm chipping away through the original Amazing Spider-man run (that tonal shift after Ditko left was so notable wow, but still really good) and reading a bunch of current runs from the All-New All-Different relaunch and it's great, just the latter already make this worth the price of admission.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Toxxupation posted:

So I've spent the past couple days reading up on Teens in Crisis (Avengers Initiative/Academy, Young Avengers vol. 1 and all of BKV's Runaways).

Avengers Initiative was a loving mess but once past the first "season" or whatever (when the new class came on and Taskmaster was brought on as an instructor) the series dramatically improved in quality. It also helped that Initiative had tie-ins to events that made logical sense, so the Secret Invasion/Dark Reign/Siege tie-in issues were all really fantastic. Dark Reign, especially, changed the status quo of the series in a way that felt really intuitive and earned.

Academy was, start-to-finish, a fantastic series. It added new characters in a way that made total sense and everyone grew and changed at an organic rate, while the underlying mystery of the series - are these kids good or bad - was addressed in clever enough ways to constantly engage. I honestly wonder why Avengers Academy isn't just, like, an ongoing thing (mutant academy without all the baggage of the X-Men, basically), like an ongoing title that constantly introduces - and promotes - new teen hero characters. It's really kinda surprising. But yeah, fantastic series.

I liked YA volume 1 but to me it's vastly inferior to volume 2, which had a better and more interesting cast (Gillen's Loki is my single favorite Marvel character ever) and I really liked the setup for volume 2, with a constant overwhelming threat over a collection of smaller arcs that build loosely into an overall story. But yeah, even besides Loki I think Noh-Varr/America Chavez/Prodigy and collectively more interesting than Iron Lad/young Vision/Patriot. I also think Kate Bishop works as a better character after having gone through Fraction's Hawkeye which is the version that Gillen went with.

In general I just find volume 2 to be more cohesive and to use the flavor of Runaways that nobody besides Gillen was really using, the idea of a bunch of super-powered young people against the world.

Which brings me to Runaways. The standout of the the group, Vaughn's run on the book is a loving classic, 42 issues of pure quality from beginning to end. It's obviously a hugely influential book reading it even a decade-plus after it came out, and was a really engrossing book from start to finish. Old Lace rules. I wish that the later volumes were considered good because I still would love to read those characters doing their thing (although it's nice to finally see who the hell Nico Minoru on A-Force is or why Victor on Vision is such a big deal), but yeah, fantastic series.
Re: Avengers Academy, there was actually plans for a book that would be based around another school for young superhumans in the UK, called the Braddock Academy. There were plans for an arc when thered be a bunch of this different schools (including Avengers Academy & the Jean Grey School) meet up for some event, only Arcade would crash the party& pit the teens against each other, kind like he did in the Giant Size Avengers Academy special. Except Tom Breevoort took a look at this, and decided (since Hunger Games was blowing up) 'just make it about the deathmatch'. and that's how we got Avengers Arena. Which they then followed up with Avengers Undercover, which had sales that loving cratered. Fun fact: they actually put out a tie-in book to Infinity that had some the leftovers of Avengers Academy/Runaways, plus some Braddock Academy kids and some kids from new teen hero schools (including I think a Latverian school) who have to do Infinity stuff. I think it was called Infinity Hunt, or Infinity: the Hunt, I dunno, I don't think anybody read it (because this was right around when Undercover started, I think - so not only where several of the more popular cast reserved for that book, but Arena had thoroughly poisoned the well). Hickman had just taken over Avengers, and his Avengers Machine had no room for the Academy kids, so they just..stopped appearing in books. Bendis called dibs on X-23 and dragged her right back to the X-Men around the time of Undercover, ignoring a whole bunch of character development in the process. Avengers Academy was a failed experiment in Marvel's eyes. The only thing we have with that name now is that app game about the 'classic' avengers (plus Ms.Marvel & Loki) back in high school. You want the 'next generation' of superheroes? They're sharing a book with the big names in ANAD (or are literally younger versions of them over in ANXM). Academy was a good book, but it didn't sell well enough to appease the Editorial Gods and suffered for it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mr Hootington posted:

Free Spirit, Patriot, Superpatriot (there's been a few), Miss America Chavez, Americop.

Non Marvel there's Fighting American and the Shield. DC had the first Steel who had a flag themed costume.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Rhyno posted:

Free Spirit, Patriot, Superpatriot (there's been a few), Miss America Chavez, Americop.

Non Marvel there's Fighting American and the Shield. DC had the first Steel who had a flag themed costume.

Thanks we need Captain America's diversity Team the book.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Totally, it has a browser version, even has the whole "panel to panel" sorta zoom or you can just click to see the whole page and then a general zoom. It's pretty great, i'm chipping away through the original Amazing Spider-man run (that tonal shift after Ditko left was so notable wow, but still really good) and reading a bunch of current runs from the All-New All-Different relaunch and it's great, just the latter already make this worth the price of admission.

Sweet, thank you. I'm mainly an X-Men fan and want to read the iconic Claremont stuff, ya know. I've only really read stuff from the 00s or some 90s stuff.

But this will be very helpful and spare my wallet.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I like the government guy saying the Ultimates look like a Benetton ad.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

twistedmentat posted:

I actually had to google that joke to really appreciate it but yeah, it was pretty good.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I also really miss Avengers Academy. Gage was really good and actually made me give a crap about almost everyone in the book, from Finesse and Hazmat, down to Hank Pym, Tigra and Julie Power.

twistedmentat posted:

Also, no-one's mentioned that, unless I'm mistaken, Ewing's using the weird interdimensional G-men stuff from Joe Kelly's Deadpool?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
He's using stuff from newuniversal.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Wanderer posted:

He's using stuff from newuniversal.

Still insane and amazing. By which I mean literally making me gape in amazement.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Gaz-L posted:

I also really miss Avengers Academy. Gage was really good and actually made me give a crap about almost everyone in the book, from Finesse and Hazmat, down to Hank Pym, Tigra and Julie Power.

The Finesse/X-23 interactions were a highlight. I really hope Finesse tries to reconnect with Laura on All-New Wolverine, because their friendship ruled and I'd hate to see that be the end of it.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Did you read the Civil War: Young Avengers/Runaways mini series? Zeb Wells got to be one of the first people to write either of those teams, and was the first person other than Morrison to write Noh Varr.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Toxxupation posted:

The Finesse/X-23 interactions were a highlight. I really hope Finesse tries to reconnect with Laura on All-New Wolverine, because their friendship ruled and I'd hate to see that be the end of it.

That's where Finesse is from. She's in Lego Avengers and I was wondering who the hell she was. Also, see Hope again.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Read the latest Scarlet Witch - hurry up with a series about the dual-weilding, enchanted pistol-packing, Hong Kong witchcop, Marvel. TIA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

IMHO the notion that "Vision is a robot obsessed with the idea of family" is somehow untrue to the character's entire publication history is loving laughable.
Sorry, I was out of town. Vision is "a robot who is obsessed with family", sure. Punisher is "a soldier obsessed with fighting crime". Batman is a human "obsessed with keeping children safe". Punisher stories all revolve around punishing criminals. Batman stories mostly revolve around his own surrogate family, protecting people, whatever.

Does this mean that anyone who questions whether the culmination of the past 40 years of Punisher stories is one where he takes law school classes from Phoenix University and runs to be a circuit court judge in Kings County is a loving idiot because HE WANTS TO PUNISH CRIMINALS AND PUNISH CRIME, IT'S WHAT HE DOES.

If DC decided to do an All-Star Batman that is all about how Batman starts making baby Bruce Wayne clones to train to be Robins and all of the Justice League is all "well yeah, we always assumed Bruce was sexually abused as a kid, but now we're worried he's perfected cloning so he won't harm any more kids himself" or something, wouldn't that be about childhood innocence lost, about Batman's family/army, about trying to stop crime?

quote:

"Family" is the throughline for basically every Vision story. Ultron's his "father," Wonder Man is his "brother," it's always been about family with him. He builds a new robot family because every time he tries making an actual family it gets all hosed up because he is a robot and cannot have nice things, and also because he doesn't quite grok that "all hosed up" is the default state of basically any family in human history. He wants a Norman Rockwell painting and can't have it but because he's a creature of logic he simply decides that he must not have done it right last time so he'll do better this time, because the problem is clearly with his family and not with his own flawed understanding of what family means.
Again, I suppose if you squint and look at everything from *just* the right angle, this is accurate. I agree with the "family" throughline, but let's look at his family.

There are some other "robots" in the family (yes yes synthezoids or whatever) and to be honest, most of them have a pretty rough history. His father Ultron is a hate-filled genocidal maniac. Vision's main interaction with his sister Jocasta has been her trying to be a homewrecker back when he was married to Wanda because she just kind of assumed robots would stick with robots. Ultron made another "sister" Alkhema in the 1990s, and like the Vision, she turned against their father, except her reasoning was that she really liked killing humans, and wanted to do it one at a time, rather than in big mass-death events. That's his robot family.

His human family is also "hosed up" I guess, in the sense that his ex-wife has had a traumatic life that has resulted in tragedy. His 'brother' Wonder Man has been estranged at various points, but is not a murderer. His 'grandfather' Hank Pym is also troubled, but is a pretty decent guy compared to Ultron. He's made some pretty decent friends (name a Bronze Age Avenger) who are flesh and blood and for the most part they've managed to be pretty decent role models of "not completely hosed up". The idea that he would look at a history of trauma that involves robots and humans alike (and in which the majority of trauma comes from robots and the vast majority of positive memories come from humans) and go "yeah, humans, they're the problem" makes zero sense. He's also really explicitly not a "creature of logic" unless you're using that in some sort of euphemistic Reed Richards/semi-repressed smart guy way, not a "he is robot, he has no soul, he can not understand hu-man emotion" way.

quote:

Every good Vision story - every Vision story that I can remember, whether good or not - revolved around family to some degree, be it his relationship with Wanda, his relationship with Simon, his relationship with Ultron, et cetera. Stripping away the accumulated familial dross and trying to start from scratch with a built-to-order family instead isn't ignoring the character's history; it's the culmination of it.
Why is it the culmination? He had a pretty good run being married to a human being, he's made lasting friendships with a lot of them, the last major Vision story I can recall was the whole "Father" thing in Secret Avengers which was pretty much explicitly about someone just assuming everyone in the "robot" affinity group will want to band together to destroy humanity and spoilers, the Vision did not want to do that, he stood with the humans.

I can agree that a core concept of the Vision is that he desperately wants 'a family', but the throughline has always been that what he really wants is to feel a part of something and connect with other beings. I am sure you can work your way around to how this would lead him to a deeply flawed and obviously bad idea of just building a wife and teenage kids and plopping them into a suburb and not bothering to make sure they understand basic human culture/emotions before unleashing them on the world, but doing so would be some sort of obvious psychotic break that would have all of his friends immediately concerned about his well-being, not having them go "well he's always been a loving weirdo, let's try to be polite while he does his weird poo poo. And be ready to kill all those robots."

• Locked thread