Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Just click the link if you want to see the anime titties jfc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

MohShuvuu posted:

Is the digimon game good at least?

Seems to be garnering some positive buzz with its battle system.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

This almost makes up for all the rail-roading and hand-holding throughout DD

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Were they actual new soccer games, or just someone copy-pasting that year's team member names in though? If FFXI still had a decent PS2-connected population at the time, the expansion's not really weird either. They're still not really "new" games, so much as shambling zombies of old ones lingering on.

They'll have had roster updates and new kits and such but I highly doubt they had many if any new mechanics. They'd still have taken more effort than you would imagine the PS2 would have gotten in the 2010's either way, even if the footy games weren't very new.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I'm not 100% sure but from the couple I've seen it seems like when they keep making new editions of sports games long past the console lifetime, they just make roster updates of the last edition before they started developing for the next gen consoles.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

raditts posted:

I'm not 100% sure but from the couple I've seen it seems like when they keep making new editions of sports games long past the console lifetime, they just make roster updates of the last edition before they started developing for the next gen consoles.

That's EAs modus operandi with their sports games. Typically when a system is new they'll port an engine to it and depending on the platform either keep updating the engine or only update rosters. As an example Fifa 15 came out on PC, PS3, PS4, Vita, 3DS, Wii, 360 and XBoner.

Only PS4, PC and XBoner had a new engine. On Wii and 3ds the same engine has been used since Fifa 13. On Vita it's Fifa 12. On PS3 and 360 I believe it uses the 14 engine but not 100% positive. This means on the other systems while it has a new roster absolutely no new features from any version after the engine are back-ported. I believe they coined the phrase "legacy edition" for them to differentiate.

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

SelenicMartian posted:

This almost makes up for all the rail-roading and hand-holding throughout DD

Is DD a bad Phoenix game then? I haven't played one since the original and kinda wanted to try one again

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

It's good

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

but you should also play the others

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Edmund Honda posted:

Is DD a bad Phoenix game then?

Heavens no. Pretty great game. Just gets a bit hand-hold-y at times.

Edmund Honda posted:

I haven't played one since the original and kinda wanted to try one again

You'll love it, though most likely you will be confused as to why Phoenix is now in his 30's, has a daughter, and two guys working under him in his law firm (you will keep switching between all three depending on the chapter).

Motto posted:

but you should also play the others

And what he said. The trilogy is available on the 3DS, along with DD.

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

Saoshyant posted:

And what he said. The trilogy is available on the 3DS, along with DD.

:yeah: That's an idea.

Don't recognise anything about the second game so it must have been only the first one I played.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

DD is honestly one of my favorite PW games and Athena and Apollo are my favorite support characters.

"I really like Apollo Justice" is something I never expected to type but turns out he kinda owns if he isn't in a lovely game.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

ImpAtom posted:

Athena and Apollo are my favorite support characters.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Ugh, I just realized my N3DS top screen rubs against the lower screen's bezel when closed. Hopefully the screen protector prevents any eventual damage. I thought they fixed this a while ago.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

ImpAtom posted:

DD is honestly one of my favorite PW games and Athena and Apollo are my favorite support characters.

"I really like Apollo Justice" is something I never expected to type but turns out he kinda owns if he isn't in a lovely game.

Apollo works really well as Phoenix's whipping boy. It's a way better role for him than main character.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Gamestop is doing buy 1, get 1 half-off on Smash, Majora's Mask, Yokai Watch and Pokemon OR/AS: http://www.gamestop.com/Browse?Nav=16variant.SKU-5-101255+OR+101257+OR+170855+OR+113675+OR+107837

Best Buy is doing a discount on the Fire Emblem Fates DLC ($5 off the Revelations expansion, $5 off Map Pack 1) if you buy it bundled with the main game/s: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/clp/fire-emblem-bundle-offer/pcmcat748301713227.c?id=pcmcat748301713227

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

everyone said, about that av

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
I was going to say something about how with all this talk of new Digimon and Medabots that Tecmo-Koei should just bring back Monster Rancher the same way. Like, it wouldn't be anything new to the series, summoning monsters who are also anime ladies. There hasn't been an entry in the Rancher series in ages though has there?

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Gamestop is doing buy 1, get 1 half-off on Smash, Majora's Mask, Yokai Watch and Pokemon OR/AS: http://www.gamestop.com/Browse?Nav=16variant.SKU-5-101255+OR+101257+OR+170855+OR+113675+OR+107837

Best Buy is doing a discount on the Fire Emblem Fates DLC ($5 off the Revelations expansion, $5 off Map Pack 1) if you buy it bundled with the main game/s: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/clp/fire-emblem-bundle-offer/pcmcat748301713227.c?id=pcmcat748301713227

This FE stuff is so confusing. So you need to buy Birthright, Conquest and Revelation to get the full story? That's a loving expensive game. Does this mean you need 1 physical and 1 digital or can you buy both Birthright and Conquest physically? Does it really matter if you don't get both? :psypop:

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

No they are 3 seperate games

You pay $40 for a full FE experience, $20 to get another full FE experience, and then $20 for one final full fire emblem experience

You are getting three games for $80

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
conquest and birthright are the games that will be sold. those will be $40.

once you finish the game you bought, you can buy the other as dlc for a "reduced cost"

you can buy revelation for $20.

there's a special edition that includes all 3 and some other poo poo that also includes all three.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

flyboi posted:

This FE stuff is so confusing. So you need to buy Birthright, Conquest and Revelation to get the full story? That's a loving expensive game. Does this mean you need 1 physical and 1 digital or can you buy both Birthright and Conquest physically? Does it really matter if you don't get both? :psypop:

There are three full campaigns, with different design philosophies. After buying Birthright/Conquest, you can buy the other two as DLC for $20 each.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
So then what's the "order" of the games to be played? Looking at Best Buy I'd save a massive $10 over buying them both physically rather than the DLC bundles. Even then just picking a single title and a dlc doesn't reflect a $5 discount as far as I can see.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
doesn't matter for the two retail ones

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

flyboi posted:

So then what's the "order" of the games to be played? Looking at Best Buy I'd save a massive $10 over buying them both physically rather than the DLC bundles. Even then just picking a single title and a dlc doesn't reflect a $5 discount as far as I can see.

There's not really a point to buying both physically since the save files can't interact with each other.

You can play Birthright and Conquest in either order. Birthright is the easier one with a grinding option, but also has most of the fancy new classes.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Buy conquest, IMO

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Well I have a hacked apart 3DS so fooling a game to be downloaded and then ripping the save out to inject to another cartridge shouldn't be difficult. I'm more concerned about the whole "up to $10 on Map pack/revelations." I added Birthright, map pack and revelations to my cart however the only discount showing up is on GCU for the physical title.

DLC very much looks like the full $20 up until I click "charge and give me that poo poo"

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
if awakening is your favorite fire emblem game, buy birthright

if you liked the older games better, buy conquest

buy all three anyway

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I'll play conquest while my girlfriend does birthright, then I'll probably check out revelations.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
I'm trying to while also trying to save money but Best Buy isn't helping much. I cannot get the $5-10 off dlc packs to fire.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
just buy. A gateway instead since you're already eating with the Pirates

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
I have a gateway for convenience. It doesn't make me a full blown pirate :rolleyes:

Otherwise why would I even bother having all of this stuff

I use Gateway to play games I can otherwise not play because Nintendo are assholes. Taiko No Tatsujin, Puyo Tetris, MonHun X, Paper Jam (when it came out in EU a month ahead of time), etc. The nice thing is on the region I can rip the save and shove it into my american cart when I end up getting one.

The nice thing about Gateway is I can dump all of these physical games into roms, copy the save off and play without a problem on my one system. Then if I want to go back to my legitimate console I run a program and the save automatically transfers and works as if nothing changed. When you have to travel a bunch carrying around a card case with 18 games in it is extremely obnoxious. Cutting it down to 2 (dstwo & gateway) is a godsend.

Also with how Gateway works I'm actually playing online as if I were using my own cartridge thanks to having dumped them so any weird save requirements or goofy poo poo put in place don't require workarounds as it all goes through the regular save system inside of the os.

Either way wrong thread for that crap but doing the math even with the $5 discount due to tax the difference of buying 1 physical copy at BB w/ DLC is saving $2 after tax if I buy the other copy from Amazon. Don't feel it's worth it so I'll just buy both on Amazon.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
i don't have time read any of that but nice collection of games

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

flyboi posted:

I'm trying to while also trying to save money but Best Buy isn't helping much. I cannot get the $5-10 off dlc packs to fire.

I don't think it will -- GCU doesn't apply to digital purchases, right? That "bundle" is really just the cartridge game of your choosing (Birthright or Conquest) and a DLC code for Revelation emailed to you when it releases/unlocks a few weeks later.

As for the three games, all three play identically up to Chapter 6, which is where you choose a side, and then the rest diverges. Two realms at war; Hoshido (where you were born, a la Birthright) and Nohr (the army you joined when you grew up, Conquest.) Revelation has you choosing neither side. Buying Birthright alone locks you into Hoshido, but if you own either of the others as DLC, it gives you the applicable choice.

All three can be considered full games with one path each. Playing beyond just one of them lets you just skip to Chapter 6 with your post-Chapter 6 save and pick a different path.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

flyboi posted:

I have a gateway for convenience. It doesn't make me a full blown pirate :rolleyes:

Otherwise why would I even bother having all of this stuff

I use Gateway to play games I can otherwise not play because Nintendo are assholes. Taiko No Tatsujin, Puyo Tetris, MonHun X, Paper Jam (when it came out in EU a month ahead of time), etc. The nice thing is on the region I can rip the save and shove it into my american cart when I end up getting one.

The nice thing about Gateway is I can dump all of these physical games into roms, copy the save off and play without a problem on my one system. Then if I want to go back to my legitimate console I run a program and the save automatically transfers and works as if nothing changed. When you have to travel a bunch carrying around a card case with 18 games in it is extremely obnoxious. Cutting it down to 2 (dstwo & gateway) is a godsend.

Also with how Gateway works I'm actually playing online as if I were using my own cartridge thanks to having dumped them so any weird save requirements or goofy poo poo put in place don't require workarounds as it all goes through the regular save system inside of the os.

Either way wrong thread for that crap but doing the math even with the $5 discount due to tax the difference of buying 1 physical copy at BB w/ DLC is saving $2 after tax if I buy the other copy from Amazon. Don't feel it's worth it so I'll just buy both on Amazon.

how do you play video game's upside down

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
put yourself upside down and play them

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Legend of legacy was an incredibly bad game and I regret getting it every day of my dumb life

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Legend of legacy was an incredibly bad game and I regret getting it every day of my dumb life

i believe in you

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

absolutely anything posted:

how do you play video game's upside down

This is me irl

What I find strange is comparing the image size of the :filez: copies from Japan the special edition is the exact same size as the other two games. So then does it not actually have all games on the cart and there's DLC involved there? I get the whole LE version but it's really dumb to DLC-lock 2/3rd of the game for anyone who didn't even know that existed until well after it sold out. Guess I'll probably just skip this game because I'm not marrying $40+ worth of DLC to a console on a game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
*straightens bowtie* hello friend, would you care to exchange friend codes