Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

I wish I could tell the artist that it's okay to be a big muscle person but also that it's OK to not be a big muscle person

Also that judging a stranger based on their experience is not a nice thing to do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
I lift weights because I want to spend my 70s and 80s doing the same nerd poo poo I do now instead of dying on my bathroom floor because I've fallen and I can't get up

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
The "spends all day lifting metal" thing is so odd to me. You can be that dude who spends hours at the gym but that is more of a social thing. There is nothing making you do that, you can easily be in great shape working out honestly very little overall.

I wonder if people don't know that and that's why they don't even try to get in shape...

Literally 80% of being in shape is done by not doing things (namely, not eating too much) while keeping macros in check. The other 20% is lifting and cardio. And honestly until you're close to middle age, you don't even really need to do macros as long as you hit protein. And you can be in very good overall shape by doing a pre-determined set of lifts that take no more than 30 mins a day, 2-3 days a week.

Even after that you can do fine just hitting proteins AND taking fiber supplements.

The human body is surprisingly adaptable and barely needs even basic care to keep it working in the majority of cases. It's just that most people can't even do that. I totally get it, life is hard. But ultimately fitness is mostly dictated by NOT engaging in behaviors, not engaging in them per se.

Btw not that it's any better or worse but that's not the full comic:

This doesn't ring true to me either though. Being in shape is super, super important to get basically all the best socially-awarded things in life (job, partner, even friends) I find the specific argument that no one cares to be absurd. Like by all means, look however you want but let's not act like there aren't incredibly important reasons to be in shape in basically all walks of life.

(also kinda funny that his "fat person dad bod" is actually amazing compared to what 90% of people look like without a shirt, but whatever)

It reminds me of this Andrew Rousso bit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IC1sldjmNMQ

Taima fucked around with this message at 16:37 on May 5, 2024

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

I lift weights because I like being good at things and "number go up" is an easily quantifiable metric.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Taima posted:

The "spends all day lifting metal" thing is so odd to me. You can be that dude who spends hours at the gym but that is more of a social thing. There is nothing making you do that, you can easily be in great shape working out honestly very little overall.

I wonder if people don't know that and that's why they don't even try to get in shape...

Literally 80% of being in shape is done by not doing things (namely, not eating too much) while keeping macros in check. The other 20% is lifting and cardio. And honestly until you're close to middle age, you don't even really need to do macros as long as you hit protein. And you can be in very good overall shape by doing a pre-determined set of lifts that take no more than 30 mins a day, 2-3 days a week.

Even after that you can do fine just hitting proteins AND taking fiber supplements.

The human body is surprisingly adaptable and barely needs even basic care to keep it working in the majority of cases. It's just that most people can't even do that. I totally get it, life is hard. But ultimately fitness is mostly dictated by NOT engaging in behaviors, not engaging in them per se.

This doesn't ring true to me either though. Being in shape is super, super important to get basically all the best socially-awarded things in life (job, partner, even friends) I find the specific argument that no one cares to be absurd. Like by all means, look however you want but let's not act like there aren't incredibly important reasons to be in shape in basically all walks of life.

(also kinda funny that his "fat person dad bod" is actually amazing compared to what 90% of people look like without a shirt, but whatever)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDtZan9ejuo

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Sometimes when I'm in the gym I mutter things to myself like "Power is everything" or "The weak should be killed".

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

We also know the saggy part definitely isn’t true.

Iceberg-Slim
Oct 7, 2003

no re okay
Ah physical fitness, you know, whatever. You do what you like to do, I do what I like to do.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVAWC2mPcTQ

Laopooh
Jul 15, 2000

Someone at my gym likes biting the fly machine. I'm going to find out who it is. I'm looking for someone who likes to bite!

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Laopooh posted:

Someone at my gym likes biting the fly machine. I'm going to find out who it is. I'm looking for someone who likes to bite!

Absolutely disgusting

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Laopooh posted:

This is why I don't do reverse flys, afraid the intrusive thoughts will win

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Taima posted:

Realizing this contradicts itself because it's stated that no one cares about what your weight is and if they do theyre jerks when that is what happens in the first part of the comic

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

feelix posted:

I lift weights because I want to spend my 70s and 80s doing the same nerd poo poo I do now instead of dying on my bathroom floor because I've fallen and I can't get up

I lift weights because I replaced alcohol addiction with it and turns out it's a lot more useful as addictions go.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

doverhog posted:

I lift weights because I replaced alcohol addiction with it and turns out it's a lot more useful as addictions go.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C05FzxEgBYf/?igsh=MXZvMzJseDdneWdicw==

This is pretty much me me... Had a complete mental breakdown after my wife was diagnosed with cancer a month after our youngest was born. Then she caught COVID while on chemo and had to get rapid responded in the emergency room she worked at. Signed up for a comp one night and well I'm still here. (Wife is also cancer free)

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

B-Rock452 posted:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C05FzxEgBYf/?igsh=MXZvMzJseDdneWdicw==

This is pretty much me me... Had a complete mental breakdown after my wife was diagnosed with cancer a month after our youngest was born. Then she caught COVID while on chemo and had to get rapid responded in the emergency room she worked at. Signed up for a comp one night and well I'm still here. (Wife is also cancer free)

Hell yeah.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

B-Rock452 posted:

Signed up for a comp one night and well I'm still here. (Wife is also cancer free)

Double hell yeah from me, too.

Having seen the full comic I'm on board. What we do with our stupid bodies is our own stupid decision, and in an emotionally healthy world (sad lol) nobody would judge us on our appearance. Instead, we belittle what is different from "social standards" and we other bodies whose shapes we consider undesirable because of our belief in the validity of those social standards. We create artists who try to raise awareness about body image and then make fun of them because their ideas contradict our own.

Taima, I know we currently live IN A SOCIETY that places emphasis on appearance. This is because we continue to persist in the belief of the necessity of those systems, and participate in the reinforcement of those systems when we say things like "being good- looking/in shape is incredibly important to getting the best things in life."

That'll be a hard gently caress no from me on reinforcing those norms. We're not going to change until we begin to challenge those thoughts. Until we shift focus to the effort placed into fitness as being the goal rather than how one looks after X period of effort, we'll continue to have toxic, harmful beliefs about physical fitness.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

DJ Fuckboy Supreme posted:

Double hell yeah from me, too.

Having seen the full comic I'm on board. What we do with our stupid bodies is our own stupid decision, and in an emotionally healthy world (sad lol) nobody would judge us on our appearance. Instead, we belittle what is different from "social standards" and we other bodies whose shapes we consider undesirable because of our belief in the validity of those social standards. We create artists who try to raise awareness about body image and then make fun of them because their ideas contradict our own.

Taima, I know we currently live IN A SOCIETY that places emphasis on appearance. This is because we continue to persist in the belief of the necessity of those systems, and participate in the reinforcement of those systems when we say things like "being good- looking/in shape is incredibly important to getting the best things in life."

That'll be a hard gently caress no from me on reinforcing those norms. We're not going to change until we begin to challenge those thoughts. Until we shift focus to the effort placed into fitness as being the goal rather than how one looks after X period of effort, we'll continue to have toxic, harmful beliefs about physical fitness.

Yeah no. You've though about it way more deeply than the comic author has. They're a judgemental and factually incorrect rear end in a top hat who thinks everyone who goes to the gym is doing so for short-term vanity. In fact, they're probably more focused on appearance than most people who go to the gym, which is why they had to make a cope comic about how it's totally ok that they don't go to the gym and everyone will look as bad as them eventually. There is nothing redeemable about it and you are dumb for thinking there is.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
My view on the comic is as I've climbed up the strongman ranks I've honestly gotten a new appreciation for people who are really really good at things. I don't think I ever appreciated the amount of work an artist puts into their art, how many countless hours are spent toiling away on stuff that no one will ever see. Writers that write thousands of words that get thrown out and they get right back into it. I never appreciated it cause I never put the effort into getting as good as I could be at something before. It's not about how I look, it's about perfecting my craft and being the best at it I can be. And anyone who does that, regardless of what that craft is I just love it. Pick something and become the best at it. Doesn't matter what it is. Mine just happens to be lifting rocks. You wanna be the best you can be at something ill support the hell out of you

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
You're overthinking it. Most people don't do enough exercise, and most people especially don't do enough resistance training, which reaults in decades of suffering for themselves and their family in their later years. The comic is making dumb as gently caress uninformed excuses for not resistance training. It is unequivocally bad and that's the end of it.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I dunno my dad basically subscribes to the Trump theory of exercise and he seems to be dying alone without troubling any family members pretty well so far.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

B-Rock452 posted:

My view on the comic is as I've climbed up the strongman ranks I've honestly gotten a new appreciation for people who are really really good at things. I don't think I ever appreciated the amount of work an artist puts into their art, how many countless hours are spent toiling away on stuff that no one will ever see. Writers that write thousands of words that get thrown out and they get right back into it. I never appreciated it cause I never put the effort into getting as good as I could be at something before. It's not about how I look, it's about perfecting my craft and being the best at it I can be. And anyone who does that, regardless of what that craft is I just love it. Pick something and become the best at it. Doesn't matter what it is. Mine just happens to be lifting rocks. You wanna be the best you can be at something ill support the hell out of you

Triple hell yeah. I wish I was earlier than 41 years of age before I realized that effort is the goal, which in turn leads to output. At least I'm only 41, so I have plenty of effortful time remaining.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

DJ Fuckboy Supreme posted:

Triple hell yeah. I wish I was earlier than 41 years of age before I realized that effort is the goal, which in turn leads to output. At least I'm only 41, so I have plenty of effortful time remaining.

I'm 41 if that helps... Not competing in masters yet

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
According to the comic you like very much, effort you put in in the gym is BAD, and effort you put in in the things that the author likes is GOOD. Very good smart comic!

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i decided not to react to the comic because i have nothing to prove to whoever the artist was

anyways, as someone nearly 40 who for the past ~38 years couldn't have given less of a poo poo about lifting heavy things and then putting them down again, lifting is actually a lot of fun because you're continually setting challenging yet achievable goals and knocking them out. as my body is healthier my mind is healthier as well. i got my diet under control and before i got to bed at night i get a little 'hey, nice' moment in front of the mirror. it's groovy and i recommend.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Does someone have a working link to the comic you all are so hot about because it's not loading in the thread currently.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
I can assure you I don't like the comic, my point was effort put into the gym made me appreciate effort put in elsewhere. Like I said everyone should pick something and work their rear end off to be awesome at it.

Everyone should also strength train but that's beside the point

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

B-Rock452 posted:

I can assure you I don't like the comic, my point was effort put into the gym made me appreciate effort put in elsewhere. Like I said everyone should pick something and work their rear end off to be awesome at it.

I know you have the correct opinions about exercise, I wasn't talking to you, I was talking to the goon who wrote an essay that the comic is good, actually, because of society.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

B-Rock452 posted:

Everyone should have a life they enjoy living, rather than dying, or wishing for death. That is a good starting point, and then you can go into the details.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Mozi posted:

i decided not to react to the comic because i have nothing to prove to whoever the artist was

anyways, as someone nearly 40 who for the past ~38 years couldn't have given less of a poo poo about lifting heavy things and then putting them down again, lifting is actually a lot of fun because you're continually setting challenging yet achievable goals and knocking them out. as my body is healthier my mind is healthier as well. i got my diet under control and before i got to bed at night i get a little 'hey, nice' moment in front of the mirror. it's groovy and i recommend.

Yeah lifting weights is a really good toy model for making progress in anything. It teaches you that applying and measuring your effort and measuring your performance is how you make progress. This can definitely be over-applied, which is why I think a lot of gym guys end up being weird libertarians

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

feelix posted:

I know you have the correct opinions about exercise, I wasn't talking to you, I was talking to the goon who wrote an essay that the comic is good, actually, because of society.

I wrote an essay agreeing with the idea that body image ideals are dangerous and social standards are injurious. I was just sharing how I feel, and I stand by what I wrote.

Now if you'll excuse me the gym is opening.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Buschmaki posted:

Sometimes when I'm in the gym I mutter things to myself like "Power is everything" or "The weak should be killed".

Also, perhaps you should relax a bit more. I like to get hyped up too but there are healthier ways to do it than "I want all the power so I can kill the weak".

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

doverhog posted:

Also, perhaps you should relax a bit more. I like to get hyped up too but there are healthier ways to do it than "I want all the power so I can kill the weak".

Lol that's probably healthier than the mental place I'm heading to for a comp next weekend...

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Has anyone made a "while you were at the gym I was studying the blade" joke yet?

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

while u we’re at the gym I was stufying the blade

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
i'm entering the second half of my 30s and my peers are starting to crumble, but i feel great. resistance training is good, friends

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

LordArgh posted:

i'm entering the second half of my 30s and my peers are starting to crumble, but i feel great. resistance training is good, friends

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

LordArgh posted:

Congratulations! You're now a master.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Batterypowered7 posted:

Has anyone made a "while you were at the gym I was studying the blade" joke yet?

while you were at the gym i was at the home gym

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

doverhog posted:

But I do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

LordArgh posted:

That 30th birthday I took away your bending meme kinda pisses me off because like, if you just did some squats it wouldn't be that way. Seriously get a single kettlebell and just do goblet squats if you don't want to do lifting for real, it will let you do the amazing athletic feat of bending your knee after the ripe old age of 30.