Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

What the gently caress is this dude talkin about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

He once said two groups in a line taking turns beating each other up was stupid, and for that I hate him.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Randalor posted:

If you're referring to what I said about if they had an alternate plot line of AVALANCHE vs Shinra, Aeris staying alive would be more due to there being no Sephiroth to shiskabob her. I mean, you could just have her arbitrarily killed off partway through.

I'm remembering that terrible film The Time Machine (the remake) and how his wife dies no matter what he does, and implementing a series of events where Aeris dies, so you reload and get her past that obstacle, only for her to die in another way, reload and get her past that one, etc etc etc with the final death being something utterly ridiculous like her dying of a heart attack and her last words being 'I'm MEANT to die, jackass'

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Aeris: Final Destination?

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

NikkolasKing posted:

I do hope the Love Triangle element is changed some. Maybe they clearly favor Cloud/Aerith or Cloud/Tifa. Just to watch the rage of the people on the Internet in response.

Well they already do favour Cloud/Aeris soooooo

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

mfcrocker posted:

Weeeeell it's Tifa that bones him in the end.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

MikeJF posted:

Weeeeell it's Barret that bones him in the end.

We all know what the canon Gold Saucer Date is.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Two Finger posted:

I'm remembering that terrible film The Time Machine (the remake) and how his wife dies no matter what he does, and implementing a series of events where Aeris dies, so you reload and get her past that obstacle, only for her to die in another way, reload and get her past that one, etc etc etc with the final death being something utterly ridiculous like her dying of a heart attack and her last words being 'I'm MEANT to die, jackass'

She's gonna pull a Palmer and get saved from Sephiroth only to get run over by a random truck.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Code Jockey posted:

Off to go read peoples' insane theories about just what was going on in FF8 / what it all meant. My vote is Rinoa is Ultimecia, Squall is Cloud, Seifer is Zeromus, Ultimecia is Kefka, time is cyclical, hail satan

http://squallsdead.com/

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Predator was a dream. Schaefer dies in a helicopter crash right at the beginning. Also, Batman and Scooby Doo are the same person.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
This right here is amazing. Did the artist do any more?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Parts Kit posted:

This right here is amazing. Did the artist do any more?

Sadly not for FF7, thought he did a bunch of games (the 'Insert Quarter Bin' page on his website)

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Yeah, I managed to read that whole thing last night and a bunch of the comments.

I'm... hmm. I know it's silly, but I can't help but agree with a few of the points making sense, though I imagine the real explanation is "gaps in the writing". Stuff like Squall's sudden love interest in Rinoa and her's in him, despite her starting out being head over heels for Seifer and him being pretty neutral and to my knowledge having no internal dialog expressing interest in her

Fun read anyway.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Code Jockey posted:

You didn't say not to steal him so guess who's ending up in my next fanfiction :twisted:

Just beat my junction-abuse game of FF8 and that was fun. I got plowed because I was playing the entire game just one-hitting everything with Renzokuken, didn't bother junctioning any kind of defense, and Griever's second form gets its insanely-damaging attack in before I can act. I ended up grinding high level magic in the Island Closest to Hell / Heaven, until I realized wait, I have Hero items, who needs defense? :v:

I like FF8 a lot. It was nice playing it without the random battles, which is something I have much less tolerance for now that I'm old. Like I'd whined about earlier, I think with a retooling of the script and a re-examination of how to portray Squall, it could be a lot better. This playthough [and this thread's discussion] helped me look at what's there a lot differently.

if you aren't already, it's worth following Cool Ghost's FFVIII let's play here:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3683043

he does a good job of highlighting the character stuff that people tend to miss, and he just got back from a trip, so updates should be more regular again

Xlyfindel
Dec 16, 2003
Raw Esoteric
Why in the gently caress would a remake have new characters? It isn't a sequel, prequel, or spin-off so...
That being said, i totally wouldn't mind having a few of the existing characters become playable at some point, maybe in mini-games. I mean, c'mon, who wouldn't love a turk-centric gold saucer night? Not only would they be hilariously stalking cloud on his date, they could be having a good time while remaining absolutely in character. Not to mention a whole love-polygon revolving around Elena.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

morallyobjected posted:

if you aren't already, it's worth following Cool Ghost's FFVIII let's play here:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3683043

he does a good job of highlighting the character stuff that people tend to miss, and he just got back from a trip, so updates should be more regular again

Awesome, thank you!

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

I do hope the Love Triangle element is changed some. Maybe they clearly favor Cloud/Aerith or Cloud/Tifa. Just to watch the rage of the people on the Internet in response.

I imagine the only real change, if any, is that Yuffie will join the party earlier so that you can have an easier time wooing her for the Golden Saucer date (at the very least, Yuffie and Vincent can't be optional characters this time around). I'd be great if everyone was fair game for the date though. Imagine a date with Cid

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

They should replace Cait Sith's moogle with Mog from VI. Eventually he gets pissed off, dumps the cat off the side of the Highwind, and you get a second Dragoon.

e: and then you can find Umaro in the mountains or something

McDragon fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jun 24, 2015

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

To add to my Drakengard costume swap: Masamune is replace with a scale model of Tokyo Tower :unsmigghh:

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Xlyfindel posted:

Why in the gently caress would a remake have new characters? It isn't a sequel, prequel, or spin-off so...
That being said, i totally wouldn't mind having a few of the existing characters become playable at some point, maybe in mini-games. I mean, c'mon, who wouldn't love a turk-centric gold saucer night? Not only would they be hilariously stalking cloud on his date, they could be having a good time while remaining absolutely in character. Not to mention a whole love-polygon revolving around Elena.

On the other hand DLC characters might be a siren call too heady to ignore.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

"[X} is dead/dying/dreaming" is probably the most over used, and under thought through fan conspiracy trope out there, but I have to admit, this guy makes a pretty good case. I don't even see any weird random details made up that the usual "is dead" theory always seems to include.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

U-DO Burger posted:

Imagine a date with Cid

"Sit your rear end down in that gondola and kiss my goddamn LIPS!!"

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

U-DO Burger posted:

I imagine the only real change, if any, is that Yuffie will join the party earlier so that you can have an easier time wooing her for the Golden Saucer date (at the very least, Yuffie and Vincent can't be optional characters this time around). I'd be great if everyone was fair game for the date though. Imagine a date with Cid

I'm not sure how she could join any earlier. It doesn't make that much sense for the narrative for her to be in Midgar (anything can change though), and there isn't even that much opportunity to get points between leaving Midgar to post-Mythril Mines.

It would be doubly hilarious to go on a date with Cait only to see him jumping away with the Keystone while Cloud went to the restroom or something.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

U-DO Burger posted:

(at the very least, Yuffie and Vincent can't be optional characters this time around).

How do you figure?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

ApplesandOranges posted:

I'm not sure how she could join any earlier. It doesn't make that much sense for the narrative for her to be in Midgar (anything can change though), and there isn't even that much opportunity to get points between leaving Midgar to post-Mythril Mines.

Pretty sure that Midgar has an ample supply of materia given that it's the headquarters of the company with a monopoly on the energy that makes the stuff. Hell, even the slums of Midgar have materia!

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

MikeJF posted:

How do you figure?

FMVs.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

MikeJF posted:

How do you figure?

CG cutscenes, and they're iconic characters now that are pretty popular in the FFVII universe. It'd be strange to keep them as hidden party members. It's pretty easy to make Vincent required as he's got a natural place to join. Yuffie's a bit tougher since for some reason she just hangs around in random forests around the world waiting for heavily armed groups to mug.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Didn't stop 'em last time.

Hasn't Square said they plan to do less in FMV this generation and more in-engine cutscenes?

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

MikeJF posted:

Didn't stop 'em last time.

Hasn't Square said they plan to do less in FMV this generation and more in-engine cutscenes?

Hardware is kind of getting to the point where there's really no reason to pre-render cutscenes anymore, yeah. They've kind of been Square's thing since they really sold the wow-factor of pretty FMVs in the 90s, but even they must be realizing the the shrinking graphical boost just isn't worth the inconveniences at this point.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

I want the remake to be completely from the Turks' perspective.

Or Hojo.

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Bonus EXP: 300
MVP: Ike
New Ally: Petrine, Greil, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Petrine, Greil, Mordecai, Lethe, Ranulf, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, MPID_BLACKKNIGHT, Greil, Ike, Greil, Ike, Black Knight, Greil, Ike

Big Taint posted:

I want the remake to be completely from the Turks' perspective.

Or Hojo.

I would unironically throw money at this.

Cangelosi
Nov 17, 2004

"It's cute," he said to himself warily, "but it's not normal."

Pierzak posted:

She's gonna pull a Palmer and get saved from Sephiroth only to get run over by a random truck.

I have on good authority that nothing can kill Palmer.

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012

U-DO Burger posted:

CG cutscenes, and they're iconic characters now that are pretty popular in the FFVII universe. It'd be strange to keep them as hidden party members. It's pretty easy to make Vincent required as he's got a natural place to join. Yuffie's a bit tougher since for some reason she just hangs around in random forests around the world waiting for heavily armed groups to mug.

Yuffie has good reason to hate Shinra too and is stupid enough to try to pull some kind of con against them in Midgar. If I had to put her in the early game, I'd have the gang run into her while sneaking around the Shinra building.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.
Okay so THANKFULLY we will not have Gackt or whatever other Crisis Core people reappearing, that's good.

I'm not gonna lie, I'm actually kind of happy Nomura's working on this since he does know the original game better than most would in Square-Enix, and also considering Kingdom Hearts did manage to have funny stupid moments amidst the internal DRAMA, I think this is the best shot.

...kinda wish Yoshida was involved cuz he seems to have a really good head on game design.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

FinalGamer posted:

Okay so THANKFULLY we will not have Gackt or whatever other Crisis Core people reappearing, that's good.

I'm not gonna lie, I'm actually kind of happy Nomura's working on this since he does know the original game better than most would in Square-Enix, and also considering Kingdom Hearts did manage to have funny stupid moments amidst the internal DRAMA, I think this is the best shot.

...kinda wish Yoshida was involved cuz he seems to have a really good head on game design.

He said no new characters, which could easily just mean they aren't MAKING characters.

Cisnei is already made.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.

Rodyle posted:

He said no new characters, which could easily just mean they aren't MAKING characters.

Cisnei is already made.

As are Weiss, Rosso and the other Deepground. If we're going down this path, might as well expect the worst. :unsmigghh:

Aithon fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jun 24, 2015

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
the FFVI remake added some characters didn't it?

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

That... didn't even make sense.

mfcrocker posted:

Weeeeeell that's just because the "Zack" part of his personality was very much on-stage, due to his diminishing consciousness, so.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

Kajeesus posted:

the FFVI remake added some characters didn't it?

Only a few espers, like Gilgamesh. No new plot characters/changes.

Which honestly, would be the best thing to hope for FF7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

Shiki Dan posted:

Only a few espers, like Gilgamesh. No new plot characters/changes.

Which honestly, would be the best thing to hope for FF7.

All I need out of the remake is a materia that casts Drain. That's all I've ever wanted out of the game.

• Locked thread