Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
When did the Metallica logo start trying to transform into the Voivod logo, and why did it stop?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Death magnetic was so long in a way that felt manufactured, like "make the songs long" was a bullet point, something on a checklist to mark off, and as multimillionaire over the hill artists do, phoned it in by repeating riffs and the chorus where it's entirely uneceasary and the entire album really really really really suffers for it.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I anticipate it'll be the shortest song on the album because lol at 2 discs for 12 songs.

Like, I really like stoner metal stuff, and a lot of the time those songs are 10+ min long, but they keep it interesting and moving along. poo poo, Yobs "Marrow" is 20+min and its never a chore to listen to it. Dopesmoker is an hour and while you kinda have to choose when to settle in and listen to it, its not like theres any part of it I want to skip.

Metallicas last 2 albums (excluding Lulu) have been full of songs that hang on to riffs for way too long and go around in circles with nothing interesting being done or said. Maybe because hetfield is like 50 now and still writing lyrics that a 20 year old would but without the anger in his voice?

Master of puppets can be 8min long because its got dynamic. St anger is a long dry fart for like 7 minutes that does nothing and goes nowhere.

Any of the songs on the last two albums could have each songs composition divided by two and it would be so much more listenable - not really 'better', but at least you wouldnt say 'well gently caress for the next 7 minutes I have to listen to this?' and hit the skip button.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Absolutely nothing interesting going on here, the bulk of this is better off as that tried and true metal meme: The 30-second lead-in before a band does the "real" song. Their mixing also continues to be grating and somehow overdone while attempting to be "raw."

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

xzzy posted:

That's fine, I just want to be able to enjoy the groove for ~5 minutes even if stuff gets repeated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2EGKt8yONI

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

That track sounds like an extremely lazy and toothless approximation of their sound in the 80s

It basically sounds like Dave Grohl aping Metallica

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
gently caress Metallica right up their obsolete, irrelevant asses.

Here's some new Running Wild. It's bogstandard Running Wild, and as such about five times more interesting than Metallica.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFmX-CqzKW4

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Nordick posted:

five times more interesting than Metallica.

I get what you're trying to say here, but 5 times 0 is still 0 :v:

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
The bass drum in that metallica song sounds lovely. Generic song, not bad, not good. Very clean production, sterile.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-diCM69_rA

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

hopterque posted:

The new Be'lakor is extremely, extremely good if you're looking for melo death stuff.

e: Oh you specifically mention that, woops.

But yeah the new Whispered is A+ as well.

From a few pages ago but thanks for reminding me about Be'lakor, the new one rips.

More melodeath that owns: The Absence

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VS3QeWiKumk

especially the bit from ~2:49-4:25, gives me goosebumps every time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lU9PLT9hJI

Tac Dibar
Apr 7, 2009

York_M_Chan posted:

Sorry if it has been posted but I discoered Zeal and Ardor yesterday and can't stop listening:
Edit: Of course it was on the previous page. I didn't see it on my first glance.

I won't rest until "have you heard this band Zeal and Ardor?" becomes the new "have you heard about this band Ghost?". I guess I'm just a sucker for catchy, scary satanic gimmick music.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Zeal and Ardor is a pretty natural progression out of black metal-influenced white trash alt-country like The Goddamn Gallows but it coming from NYC is kind of surprising

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
That Metallica song doesn't do anything new, but neither does 99% of black/death metal which most of this thread drools over, so idk what the big deal is. 5/10, would listen to Hardwired again on Pandora if it came up

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Yeah on the one hand, I kinda agree with the "if it wasn't Metallica nobody would care about this song" comments.

On the other hand, I see people going gaga over bands that aren't Metallica writing basically that song all the loving time, so in a weird way it seems like they're kind of being held to a higher standard despite the fact that everyone hates everything they've put for like two decades.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Vulture Culture posted:

Zeal and Ardor is a pretty natural progression out of black metal-influenced white trash alt-country like The Goddamn Gallows but it coming from NYC is kind of surprising

He's a NYC artist transplanted from Switzerland.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

DeusExMachinima posted:

That Metallica song doesn't do anything new, but neither does 99% of black/death metal which most of this thread drools over, so idk what the big deal is. 5/10, would listen to Hardwired again on Pandora if it came up

Stale and tired retread thrash is infinitely worse than Just Another Swedeath Band.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Guys remember how Opeth did that thing where they changed their sound and we were all like "Hey they should just go back to death metal"?

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

If Opeth still wrote good songs I don't think very many people would care that they aren't a death metal band anymore.

This did give me the amusing mental image of a Mikael Akerfeldt interview 10 years in the future where he says he's been listening to a lot of My Arms, Your Hearse lately and think old-school fans will be really excited about the new album.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Vargatron posted:

Guys remember how Opeth did that thing where they changed their sound and we were all like "Hey they should just go back to death metal"?

That's because they aren't that great at writing prog rock.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Hulk Krogan posted:

If Opeth still wrote good songs I don't think very many people would care that they aren't a death metal band anymore.

This did give me the amusing mental image of a Mikael Akerfeldt interview 10 years in the future where he says he's been listening to a lot of My Arms, Your Hearse lately and think old-school fans will be really excited about the new album.

Yeah, the problem with Opeth isn't the lack of metal, it's that Mikael Akerfeldt and Steve Wislon got together and felched eachother to the bone and now the only ideas left are the ones made of the mixed cum and poo poo juice.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
See also... well, Metallica. They weren't wrong to try branching out, and it wasn't all bad in hindsight, but there's no denying where their strengths really lie.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Thought you guys might like this

https://eneferens.bandcamp.com/album/the-inward-cold

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
I don't mind a band doing the same thing if it is a thing I enjoy. I just posted like 10 summoning links a week or so ago so that soapbox would dissolve under my feet. I just haven't heard anything from Metallica that I could get into since ...uh, justice I guess.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Faffel posted:

Yeah, the problem with Opeth isn't the lack of metal, it's that Mikael Akerfeldt and Steve Wislon got together and felched eachother to the bone and now the only ideas left are the ones made of the mixed cum and poo poo juice.
Steven Wilson's been making some of the best music of his career though so whatever

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

This is good.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

One of Opeth's best songs isnt even metal (well, until the end).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybC6iBWLZ6k

So it's not just people wanting them to go back to their old sound -- we want better written songs and not this wank Mikael's been spitting out for a while now.

szary
Mar 12, 2014

Also I kind of like that song.

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

More Primus For Fucks Sake.
How dare you compare that mess with arguably the best sludge album.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

To Battle posted:

How dare you compare that mess with arguably the best sludge album.

Broken Glass is still a better record. There, I said it :colbert:

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

COOL CORN posted:

The new Anaal Nathrakh song is completely loving me up right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzghSOZW7Zk

The vocals sound really different compared to the last few albums. But much like desideratum it's more of the same, which isn't inherently a bad thing, just unremarkable, and that's really the worst thing I have to say about it. The new album should be fun, I'd like to hear what else they do on the album.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Vargatron posted:

Yeah except Load and Reload were good. Idk about St Anger I guess. If In Flames went back to melodeath I'd be happy. Metallica is going back to thrash basically.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Load and Reload are good. St. Anger is very bad. Death Magnetic is in between.

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe
If Death Magnetic had the same production/guitar/bass/drum tones as Puppets or Lightning think it would be much better. As it is now its just grating to listen to. This new song feels the same.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Load is my favorite Metallica album and I say that with no shame. I can't stand country music but Mama Said is just a terrific song. Reload is great, too. Devil's Dance? Ace track. Still, Death Magnetic was a really fun return to form despite the weird compression issues (I want a loving remaster of it asap) and I'm glad they're continuing with that with the new stuff. Hardwired owns and as someone who grew up as a Metallica brat it brought a smile to my face not least because I was listening to a new Metallica track like that in 2016.

E: Mixed up a song like a dope.

Stare-Out fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Aug 19, 2016

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

COOL CORN posted:

The new Anaal Nathrakh song is completely loving me up right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzghSOZW7Zk
This sounds like someone doing metal growls through the old school vocal filters that Ogre used to use in late 80s Skinny Puppy records like Mind:TPI and Cleanse Fold and Manipulate. It's... weird, but I kinda like it.

Not metal but to reference said vocal filtering: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHSBw7KefIQ

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Aug 19, 2016

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
St. Anger has some truly awful moments on it.

...but in some ways, it's actually fairly original for Metallica. There's a lot of things on that album that they haven't done before or since (hurr...that snare). There are some killer riffs on St. Anger that are buried underneath that godawful snare drum. The problem is the songwriting which means that they overused each awesome riff about 12 times too many times.

The songwriting sucks, but there's enough individual kickass moments on it to render it not awful. It doesn't hold a candle to their old stuff though.

Something interesting that I've found about metal fans (that I'm guilty of too) is that for some bands, if they don't change things up, they get ridiculed for being the same and doing the same thing over and over again (Slayer, Maiden song-title choruses). But there are other bands where if they changed ANYTHING about what they do, people lose their loving minds (Opeth). You could argue it's the quality of the songwriting that's the main factor, but I'm not convinced.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

H13 posted:

Something interesting that I've found about metal fans (that I'm guilty of too) is that for some bands, if they don't change things up, they get ridiculed for being the same and doing the same thing over and over again (Slayer, Maiden song-title choruses). But there are other bands where if they changed ANYTHING about what they do, people lose their loving minds (Opeth).

It's almost as though there are different groups of fans that like and care about different things

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

fatherdog posted:

It's almost as though there are different groups of fans that like and care about different things

This is what I mean by I'm guilty of it too. If Iron Maiden ever did anything REMOTELY different I would almost regard that as a personal insult.

On the other hand, I kinda hate on Amon Amarth for doing the exact same thing every time.

Go figure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Stare-Out posted:

Still, Death Magnetic was a really fun return to form despite the weird compression issues (I want a loving remaster of it asap) and I'm glad they're continuing with that with the new stuff.

It needs a little EQ and I'm not sure a lossless version exists, but seek out the Guitar Hero rip. There's really no other way to listen to the album (well, not without getting a headache).

H13 posted:

St. Anger has some truly awful moments on it.

...but in some ways, it's actually fairly original for Metallica. There's a lot of things on that album that they haven't done before or since (hurr...that snare). There are some killer riffs on St. Anger that are buried underneath that godawful snare drum. The problem is the songwriting which means that they overused each awesome riff about 12 times too many times.

The guitar tone is really neat for a lot of it. But yeah, the songwriting is begging for a producer's intervention, and a lot of stuff that was done for the sake of "rawness" just sounds irredeemably awful.