Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
I'm playing the campaign and just picked up a Banshee 3M from store salvage (all my other mechs are 50-55t). What's a decent build for this thing with its limited available tonnage for armour/weapons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

A ppc or ll for when you're closing range, punch mods, and fill every support slot and max armor

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

Largepotato posted:

I'm playing the campaign and just picked up a Banshee 3M from store salvage (all my other mechs are 50-55t). What's a decent build for this thing with its limited available tonnage for armour/weapons?

I dunno how good it is, but this build worked really well for me until I upgraded mechs. Run towards an enemy while firing your lasers and then punch them to cool down. My pilot didn't have Coolant Vent and I didn't have any arm mods so it can certainly run a bit better.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Largepotato posted:

Keep using your 50-55t mechs.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Maximum Punch

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

RBA Starblade posted:

Maximum Punch

This. And jump jets.

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Polka_Rapper posted:

I dunno how good it is, but this build worked really well for me until I upgraded mechs. Run towards an enemy while firing your lasers and then punch them to cool down. My pilot didn't have Coolant Vent and I didn't have any arm mods so it can certainly run a bit better.

I run the same mech and it works great. Definitely a keeper. There is no mech with its movement profile that can punch as hard and carry so much armor, and it has an alpha that rivals the GHR precision strike back/head shots.

Keep an eye out for +40 and +60 melee damage mods (a pair of these, and fighting lights/meds becomes especially hilarious). Drop heat sinks for them, and run it with a brawler pilot (Guts2/Pilot1). Coolant flush will let you get off at least 2 alphas before you're absurdly hot, and then you can punch things or sprint to the next victim. I'd also suggest dropping a HS or two to get arm armor maxed out and leg armor at least close to maxed out. Since you're going to be at close range all the time, I'd also suggest bosting back armor to 75.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

NatasDog posted:

Stray headshots really seem to be a lot more common now. I'm not complaining though, as it forces me to rotate through my roster a lot more frequently.

You notice headshots more with weapons that way through the armor in one hit. With the mech engineer stuff there would often be at least one mech dead from a head hit in most of my missions.

Usually Opfor... RIP SLDF Black Knight

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Is there a website with suggestion on how to optimize Mechs? I feel like I'm going to wear out everyone's patience if I start asking about every hull that I complete.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

SirPhoebos posted:

Is there a website with suggestion on how to optimize Mechs? I feel like I'm going to wear out everyone's patience if I start asking about every hull that I complete.

*cough*

I don't think anyone really minds, just list what chassis you'd like advice on.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Thanks to the guides here I’m finally getting through missions without needing to be on the bench for 2 months repairing and healing everything

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Just ran into an Assassinate mission, 1.5 skulls. Two full lances in the OpFor including a Shadow Hawk, and I never even saw the target but it was a Heavy. I force quit and I'm not ashamed, because that's not just bad intel, it's a career-ending level of bad intel and whichever stupid oval office thought that was an entertaining addition to the game should be looking for a new job.

bsamu
Mar 11, 2006

Jedit posted:

Just ran into an Assassinate mission, 1.5 skulls. Two full lances in the OpFor including a Shadow Hawk, and I never even saw the target but it was a Heavy. I force quit and I'm not ashamed, because that's not just bad intel, it's a career-ending level of bad intel and whichever stupid oval office thought that was an entertaining addition to the game should be looking for a new job.

I think what they were going for was a good idea, not having difficulty be always perfect. Having to gauge your opfor and decide when it's too hot is pretty cool. My biggest annoyance with it is how much of a cop out the withdraw feature is. There could be some cool moments when you realize your Intel was bad and have a mad scramble back to the drop ship. Instead you just say "welp I'm boned" and exit the mission.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

bsamu posted:

I think what they were going for was a good idea, not having difficulty be always perfect. Having to gauge your opfor and decide when it's too hot is pretty cool. My biggest annoyance with it is how much of a cop out the withdraw feature is. There could be some cool moments when you realize your Intel was bad and have a mad scramble back to the drop ship. Instead you just say "welp I'm boned" and exit the mission.

I too want this, but then people usually don't hit withdraw until it's already too late to make any kind of organized extraction. It's worse when you're in the edge and one unit is limping on one leg, then bam, that AC/20 from the shadows hits your fresh tank unit in the head and suddenly it's time to get out. If you had to make it back to a LZ, given how "good" the ones for mission completion are, I doubt anyone would make it without further losses once things have gone south enough to need to withdraw. That and we're generally expecting to push through and win an encounter in gaming as a whole, so even getting the player to unlearn that and cut their losses is a feat in itself.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Conspiratiorist posted:

*cough*

I don't think anyone really minds, just list what chassis you'd like advice on.

Well I just completed a Thunderbolt. It looks like it's got a lot of armor.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

The Thunderbolt, along with the CPLT and JM6, are the first proper heavies. Unlike the 60-ton lemons, they each have 39 tons to play with which enough for weapons and armor. Fun!

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

SirPhoebos posted:

Well I just completed a Thunderbolt. It looks like it's got a lot of armor.

It's more or less a big Centurion.

What to do exactly depends on the specific variant, but for the 5S and 5SE I like 2xSRM6 w/ 2 tons ammo, 4~5 MLas, 7~9 heatsinks, 4 JJs and the rest on armor with maybe some SLs or MGs thrown in.

ie this is a hot TDR-5SE build quite effective on Coolant Vent pilots.

MGs for head injury fishing with called shots and since they don't add further heat to a close-in alpha. ML5+SRM12 isn't really sustainable with that number of heatsinks, but I considered the extra oomph on demand a better weight investment than swapping a Medium Laser for another HS.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE
1200 days in career mode and I think my commander will have spent over 1000 of them in the hospital...

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Skippy McPants posted:

The Thunderbolt, along with the CPLT and JM6, are the first proper heavies. Unlike the 60-ton lemons, they each have 39 tons to play with which enough for weapons and armor. Fun!

Weapons, armour, and jumpjets. That's what really makes the Thunderbolt shine - it's a jack of all trades that genuinely lets you choose on the fly whether to stand and trade punches or go a bit more mobile.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

There are assault mechs with less armor in their stock configs than the T-bolt. It's a very effective brawler.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Also a reason why for the longest time it was the default choice for competitive MWO play.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

I'm trying to figure out who to ally with in campaign mode. Do the Taurians have a special flashpoint for allies?

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

No only the great houses. Liao has the most faction stores if that matters to you

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

e: ^^^ Frikking Nekokami! :ninja:

Best Friends posted:

I'm trying to figure out who to ally with in campaign mode. Do the Taurians have a special flashpoint for allies?

No, only the five major houses do. (Davion, Kurita, Liao, Marik, Steiner)

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jul 13, 2019

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Thank you both!

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Best Friends posted:

If you're going for points, either Davion or Marik (not both). This will allow you to boost 4 factions to +100 and 4 to -100 reputation.

If you're going for maximum alliances for maximum alliance flashpoints go with any of these pairs:
-Davion + Steiner (can also do MOC)
-Davion + Marik (can still do MOC)
-Marik + Kurita (maybe you can do TC? Don't remember)
-Liao + Kurita (everybody else hates you now)

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
Or look at this chart:

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Just picked this up again after not playing it since vanilla.

Started a new career, lost three mechs on my second battle.

Think I might want to tone it back down to normal while I get used to the game again.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Alliances are tricky in the game, in a good way.

If you're going for max alliances, you can't pick Liao, but that also impacts your mission options since Liao controls the most available space in the game.

Allying with Liao restricts your other alliance options since they have many enemies, but you also get the most space to operate in.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Alchenar posted:

Also a reason why for the longest time it was the default choice for competitive MWO play.

Was having ammo in the Center Torso not as big a deal in MWO? I find Thunderbolts in Battletech very susceptible to "shoot the CT, watch the crit core the mech".

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

ulmont posted:

1200 days in career mode and I think my commander will have spent over 1000 of them in the hospital...

You really need to rename him to Yossarian.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

skooma512 posted:

You really need to rename him to Yossarian.

Thinking of renaming her "Dekker", tbh.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Did they ever add a way to respec your guys?

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Did they ever add a way to respec your guys?

If you mean within the core game, no. There's a savegame editor that allows you to adjust your pilots' skills and exp.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

anakha posted:

If you mean within the core game, no. There's a savegame editor that allows you to adjust your pilots' skills and exp.

I wish I had known about that, but I just changed the last stage of the training simulator to give giant piles of xp every day so it would make a 9/9/9/9 out of a rookie pilot in a couple days.

I guess in hindsight it's better than respecing your existing pilots because it gives you more dudes when they get hurt, but it was effectively the same thing.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
For those goons who've bothered to read the books, just how articulate/maneuverable are mechs in the Battletech universe? Can a Jenner leap a chasm under it's own power? Could a skilled pilot open a bottle of beer with a Shadowhawk? Can you make an Atlas kneel, sit, or lie prone and crawl? What mechs come the closest to being capable of replicating human motion/pulling off silly anime bullshit maneuvers?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Depends on the writer.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I think it's down as much to the pilot and tech level as it is the mech. A non humanoid Jenner with no arms piloted by a basic schlub in 3025 isn't going to be capable of nearly there same maneuverability and flexibility as a Maeni Domini cyborg pilot using a direct neutral interface cockpit piloting a WoB mech with two articulated hands.

I think most of the humanoid mechs with hands are presented as being capable of relatively precise dexterity when in the hands of super skilled pilots, but even they aren't going to pop a beer bottle cap, the scale is just way too off.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

ChickenHeart posted:

For those goons who've bothered to read the books, just how articulate/maneuverable are mechs in the Battletech universe? Can a Jenner leap a chasm under it's own power? Could a skilled pilot open a bottle of beer with a Shadowhawk? Can you make an Atlas kneel, sit, or lie prone and crawl? What mechs come the closest to being capable of replicating human motion/pulling off silly anime bullshit maneuvers?

The Locust is one of the only 'Mechs capable of jumping under its own power (but it can only clear about its own height, about 10 meters, which is less than 1 hex in tabletop play). 'Mech reaction times are sluggish by human standards and the way the HUD emulates peripheral vision means some fine detail is lost. A Mechwarrior probably couldn't even see the beer bottle, much less pick it up, but they can absolutely pick up people in (relative) safety.

BattleMechs use artificial muscles to move but they're built for power, not dexterity. There is a 'mech called the Wyvern that tried to get as close to 1:1 replicating human musculature as possible. It's pretty flexible but it's slow for its weight and underpowered. Gotta watch out when it gives you the old finger-guns though!

Edit: Some 'Mechs, like the Quickdraw, have gimmicks that boost their flexibility. The Quickdraw is giant robot double-jointed and can point its arms backwards. Others, like the Shadow Hawk, are very easy to pilot so an experienced Mechwarrior can probably pilot a Shadow Hawk without extensive training and a new pilot can learn how to pilot a Shadow Hawk very easily because it moves in a way most people find intuitive.

Double Edit: I forgot to mention: the Wyvern has the 'Distracting' trait, giving the enemy a penalty to morale checks in Tabletop play (when those checks are in use) because the way it walks and moves puts it squarely in the Uncanny Valley.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jul 15, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bsamu
Mar 11, 2006

I realize the versatility of the HBK-4H is related to how BT handles hardpoints, but I'm loving this variant from the 3025 extended mod:

So many options!