Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Hellblazer187 posted:

Most of the evidence based guys say the same thing at this point - for most people just lift heavy, get 1-4 reps from failure in a 5-30 rep range, etc.

I have literally never seen Helms, Israetel, Henselmanns, whoever, say "you should do your inline at 70 degrees instead of 60" or anything really approaching that. Most of the stuff I see them post is about effort (working hard enough to get within 4 reps of failure) and volume.

Nippard says a lot of poo poo like that. Like a concrete example was recently I saw a YouTube short or something where he was talking about how you might think that incline press doesn't hit the lower pecs enough but a recent study... And I don't know what he said next because I turned it off

Meno and Israetel got somewhat close to it in their video about biceps curls but that one did have a useful message in telling you to include exercises that load the biceps in the lengthened position. On the other hand, that video is where I found out there is an exercise someone chose to call "Bayesian curls" which is an actual crime they should go to an actual jail for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

B-Rock452 posted:

I stopped following Israetel because he posts absolutely batshit food combos sometimes in order to fit his macros.

he made what was in retrospect a joke video (?) about making pudding with casein protein (ingredients: chocolate-flavored casein, water)

i can tell you - just stick to shakes

edit: oh one actual useful actionable thing i got from one of his more recent interview videos is that .75g of protein per lb of bodyweight is completely sufficient for natural lifters (rather than the 1g/lb guideline most people go by). it's actually much nicer to aim for .75, frees up a lot of options for eating

Mozi fucked around with this message at 18:17 on May 14, 2024

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

feelix posted:

Nippard says a lot of poo poo like that. Like a concrete example was recently I saw a YouTube short or something where he was talking about how you might think that incline press doesn't hit the lower pecs enough but a recent study... And I don't know what he said next because I turned it off

Meno and Israetel got somewhat close to it in their video about biceps curls but that one did have a useful message in telling you to include exercises that load the biceps in the lengthened position. On the other hand, that video is where I found out there is an exercise someone chose to call "Bayesian curls" which is an actual crime they should go to an actual jail for

agreed on all counts.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

feelix posted:

You leave poor Jeff Nippley alone. He can't help himself!

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Mozi posted:

edit: oh one actual useful actionable thing i got from one of his more recent interview videos is that .75g of protein per lb of bodyweight is completely sufficient for natural lifters (rather than the 1g/lb guideline most people go by). it's actually much nicer to aim for .75, frees up a lot of options for eating

Yeah this one is a huge deal that every gym goer should know about. Even on a diet, it's possible to eat only normal human meals (just making good high-protein choices) and still hit 0.75g/lb while staying within your calories. If you do 1.0, then you pretty much can't avoid using shakes or having some meals that are just protein

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Normal Human Meals is an excellent restaurant name.

ovenboy
Nov 16, 2014

Look at this dumbass: https://youtube.com/shorts/LzGch2ci20I?si=AyU2Wxk6A9IGnwWE
I was just going to do five sets of four, ending with an amrap set but I was so full of Spring Feelings or something that I decided to go for an 180kg single after the warmups. I kinda just gave up midway apparently

Edit: the five normal sets after that felt fine too, so I think I'll retry that soon with some proper preparation. And perhaps Summer Feelings.

ovenboy fucked around with this message at 20:56 on May 14, 2024

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 29 minutes!

DJ Fuckboy Supreme posted:

275 is a good lift drat

It's unreal how much a spot can help. One day I'll believe in myself as much as I believe my spotter will save me from a slow death by compression in case I gas out.
i hit 225 last february or so and i’m repping that like 6-8 times max per set. i just needed the smell of my boy’s nuts to motivate me to throw on some more weight

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.
The problem I’ve always had with israetel’s training style (the RIR 3 - 1 progression) is that if you haven’t spent significant time training to hard failure, you have no idea what failure actually feels like and your RIR 3 is probably closer to RIR 8

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Concatenation posted:

The problem I’ve always had with israetel’s training style (the RIR 3 - 1 progression) is that if you haven’t spent significant time training to hard failure, you have no idea what failure actually feels like and your RIR 3 is probably closer to RIR 8

he alludes to this in his strength series and suggests you spend a few months doing amraps to know for sure. i dunno what he says about rp stuff for hypertrophy cause i don't use it

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
Alls I know is thanks to dr mike now I understand that blowing up palestinian kids is good, actually

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Dum Cumpster posted:

Alls I know is thanks to dr mike now I understand that blowing up palestinian kids is good, actually

lol thanks again for reminding me why i don't watch his opinion channel. i can only imagine

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

TenementFunster posted:

i hit 225 last february or so and i’m repping that like 6-8 times max per set. i just needed the smell of my boy’s nuts to motivate me to throw on some more weight

Sniffing nuts sounds easier than self-love, might just try that

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003
Probation

DJ Fuckboy Supreme posted:

Sniffing nuts sounds easier than self-love, might just try that
it’s the best part about getting a spot!

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

lol thanks again for reminding me why i don't watch his opinion channel. i can only imagine

I watched part of one of the early ones and extrapolated his opinion on the matter based on what I saw

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
lol, he has a video, that i will not watch, called "How To Behave In Society"

he strikes me as the kind of guy that would be like "if black people don't want to get harassed by cops they just shouldn't go anywhere at night"

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

On the subject of sciency exercise mans and their opinions on social issues, Jeff Nippard has pushed back against some of the transphobia in the community. So, good for him about that one.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Chief McHeath posted:

he strikes me as the kind of guy that would be like "if black people don't want to get harassed by cops they just shouldn't go anywhere at night"

He has said before that his opinions on race would get him banned from academia so uhh take that for what you will. Really for the best not to look into the political opinions on most people in the fitness industry

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

feelix posted:

He has a name, it's Mike Israetel, and he's a dumb libertarian rear end in a top hat that has almost entirely transitioned to posting useless YouTube clickbait

He still has some useful gems here and there like the video you mentioned, and his older stuff (before he ran out of basic, correct advice to cover and had to continue monetizing) is golden

btw, the entire last page is the exact loving derail I didn't want to start when I brought up the one entirely-fitness-related thing in my post. But you had to charge in and bring up that the completely-accurate, entirely-fitness-related statement happened to come out of the mouth of a guy who is kind of an rear end in a top hat, then point out who that specific rear end in a top hat is, and now we're here.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

LanceHunter posted:

btw, the entire last page is the exact loving derail I didn't want to start when I brought up the one entirely-fitness-related thing in my post. But you had to charge in and bring up that the completely-accurate, entirely-fitness-related statement happened to come out of the mouth of a guy who is kind of an rear end in a top hat, then point out who that specific rear end in a top hat is, and now we're here.

Speaking of derails. Have you watched Band of Brothers, by any chance?

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Chief McHeath posted:

He believes intelligence is an inherited trait

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

LanceHunter posted:

whell instead of parroting some sorta pencil neck, how bout you just horsecock huge loads abd leavr it at dat...?

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003
Probation

Buschmaki posted:

He believes intelligence is an inherited trait
well i bet his dad is pretty loving dumb, too

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

LanceHunter posted:

Welcome to GBS bitch

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
my lats is gettin too wide gonna have to register myself as a airplane :madmax:

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Buschmaki posted:

you just horsecock huge loads

Is this some new lingo or do you just enjoy horses?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Batterypowered7 posted:

Normal Human Meals is an excellent restaurant name.

Definitely not managed and staffed by raccoons in trenchcoats (never go in the back)

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

* does four sets of standing calf raises a week and nothing else * "Why aren't my calves getting any bigger?!"

crackhaed
Jan 18, 2005

From out of the basement,
a man doth emerge,
sweat on his brow,
for Efron the urge.

Batterypowered7 posted:

* does four sets of standing calf raises a week and nothing else * "Why aren't my calves getting any bigger?!"
weightlifting categorically cannot make your calves bigger

the only way to get big calves is to be fat for like 30 years

doverhog
May 31, 2013

I've been doing bicep curls for the first time, after turning 40, and it feels like it is having some effect.

I only do it now because it's a thing you can do quickly and without being drenched in sweat while at work, unlike volume squats or kb swings.

*volume squat means with bodyweight, or goblet, hundreds of reps

doverhog fucked around with this message at 04:32 on May 25, 2024

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

crackhaed posted:

weightlifting categorically cannot make your calves bigger

the only way to get big calves is to be fat for like 30 years

What if fifth set?

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Have to say though, weirdly, it's my forearms that have gotten sore, not biceps. Not sure if sore is the right word, there's pain and feeling of "tightness". Currently I assume it's because curls are hitting that muscle in a way that nothing I did before did.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003
Probation

doverhog posted:

Have to say though, weirdly, it's my forearms that have gotten sore, not biceps. Not sure if sore is the right word, there's pain and feeling of "tightness". Currently I assume it's because curls are hitting that muscle in a way that nothing I did before did.
skill issue

lift heavier!

doverhog
May 31, 2013

I'm working on it. :coolfish:

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Deformed Church posted:

Had a number 2 mishap in the gym, won't let me cancel.

code:
So last weekend when powerlifting, I unfortunately had some poo poo come out. 
It was noticeable in smell and sight to a number of other horrified gym goers. I managed 
to use my gym towel and lots of cleaning products to deep clean as fast as I could but I 
was being watched and talked about the whole time. This has been the most embarrassing 
moment of my life.

I've emailed them and told them I want to cancel my contract as I dont want to show my face 
in the gym, let alone my suburb for a decade. They are refusing to let me cancel, saying that's 
not a valid reason in the terms and I'm welcome to use other locations.

Surely there should be some form of ethics that allows some leway in cases like this? 
Any advice please.
From r/AusLegal (by way of BOLA)

Batterypowered7 fucked around with this message at 21:54 on May 25, 2024

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
not to brag but my new gym has a GHR and a reverse hyper

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

throw in some hip thrusts and you can hit those glutes from every angle

yeah i know what i said

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
glutewise i've been doing reverse lunges off of a rubber block for kind of a stepdown sort of thing and it seems pretty good. kind of like a glute version of doing BSS for quads

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Doc Hawkins posted:

throw in some hip thrusts and you can hit those glutes from every angle

yeah i know what i said

it has a plate loaded and a pin selected hip thrust machine and a hip thrust bench if you wanna drag over a barbell too lol

too much rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Chief McHeath posted:

it has a plate loaded and a pin selected hip thrust machine and a hip thrust bench if you wanna drag over a barbell too lol

too much rear end

Get out