Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Zemyla posted:

Also, EDM's going to end like this:

Jace confronts Nahiri. "Why are you doing this?"

"Because Sorin wrecked my plane by binding the Eldrazi to it!"

"Well, we unbound them. And killed two of them."

"Really?" Then she kisses him and joins the Jacetice League.

Sorin does absolutely nothing of significance. As usual.

Tamiyo planeswalks away with Arlinn, finds Kiora, Ral, and Narset, and forms the Cloudcrest Lake Avengers.

Bolas poses with his foreclaws touching and says, "Yes, just as planned." even though he had nothing to do with anything that happened here.

Please don’t be disrespectful of the story. You might not care but others do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

Zemyla posted:

Bolas poses with his foreclaws touching and says, "Yes, just as planned." even though he had nothing to do with anything that happened here.

Nicky B could find out that he's actually a fictional character in a children's card game and he'd still say "ha ha, fools, exactly as I planned"

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Some Numbers posted:

Wait, are you saying that Bolas planned for Sarkhan to go back in time and save Ugin, despite Bolas having killed Ugin centuries ago?

Yes, Bolas planned to fail to ensure his ultimate success because.....

I'm actually 100% sure this is how it is actually going to play out.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Zemyla posted:

Dont you mean "all as according to keikaku".

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Zemyla posted:

Tamiyo planeswalks away with Arlinn, finds Kiora, Ral, and Narset, and forms the Cloudcrest Lake Avengers.
So does that mean Arlinn is gonna start making squirrel tokens and surprise everyone when she kills Nicol Bolas with relative ease?

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
From reading a very small amount of the story, Jace seems to have an interesting basic concept for his character. He comes across as some sort of psychic autist who can read minds but still has poo poo for social skills. It's a nifty self-contradiction for a character, and it leads to things like him being constantly jealous of Gideon for being able to get people to do what he needs them to do and make them feel good about it without any magic at all.

Liliana is actually just a straight hardass. She sold her soul to demons for power, and now she's getting out of her Faustian bargain by using that power to hunt down and kill the demons. She's also quite nakedly self-interested without being outright sadistic or malicious, so it leaves the writers free to have her do basically whatever she feels like without having her turn into some mustache-twirling villain like Ob Nixilis, which allows her to have strained relationships with the career do-gooders.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Zoness posted:

Dont you mean "all as according to keikaku".

No, we already said the problem was that it wasn't Tamiyo.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Chill la Chill posted:

No, we already said the problem was that it wasn't Tamiyo.

Nicol Bolas is a canon japan enthusiast though, he calls himself "Ryu Sensei" in time spiral block when hes manipulating Venser.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Voyager I posted:

From reading a very small amount of the story, Jace seems to have an interesting basic concept for his character. He comes across as some sort of psychic autist who can read minds but still has poo poo for social skills. It's a nifty self-contradiction for a character, and it leads to things like him being constantly jealous of Gideon for being able to get people to do what he needs them to do and make them feel good about it without any magic at all.

Liliana is actually just a straight hardass. She sold her soul to demons for power, and now she's getting out of her Faustian bargain by using that power to hunt down and kill the demons. She's also quite nakedly self-interested without being outright sadistic or malicious, so it leaves the writers free to have her do basically whatever she feels like without having her turn into some mustache-twirling villain like Ob Nixilis, which allows her to have strained relationships with the career do-gooders.

Yeah. I am 100% certain that a good writer who wasn't shackled by a mandate to flog cardboard to socially frustrated nerds could take the basic character sketches for all of the planeswalkers and do something good with them.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Yawgmoth posted:

Well I would guess it's because
and yet they keep trying to push him as the main character that solves all the problems and everyone should love and think is rad in an embarrassingly Poochie-esque failure of writing.

I don't know, he came off as a much more nuanced character than any of the other members of the Gatewatch. Gideon was mostly just John Cena, Planeswalker and Nissa's comical obsession with being the biggest tree hugger ever was way worse.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Angry Grimace posted:

Gideon was mostly just John Cena

Gideon wishes he was as cool as John Cena

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Rinkles posted:

You guys are making Jace sad

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

The other problem with Jace, other than not being Tamiyo, is that we have only had Tamiyo as the only other mono-blue planeswalker. Blue and Green are the only colors that have only had two planeswalkers that were monocolor and standard legal.

Red: Chandra, Tybalt, Koth
Black, Sorin, Liliana, Ob NIxilis
White:Ajani, Elspeth, Gideon
Green: Nissa, Garruk
Blue: Jace, Tamiyo

Further, there are almost as many Nissa cards as there are Garruk cards. However, there is only 1 Non Jace monoblue planeswalker card .

Zoness posted:

There was a time when this guy was very strong in standard, extended, and vintage.

Madmarker posted:

Well I am wrong that there have only been two different standard blue planeswalkers, but I stand by the overall point that he has worn out his welcome, and there is a lack of diversity in the blue planeswalker slot.

Jace has overstayed his welcome. Retire him for a set or two, replace him with Tamiyo, or some other yet unknown blue planeswalker for a couple of sets, and I guarantee more people would be more kindly disposed to his character.

Madmarker fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Mar 30, 2016

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Angry Grimace posted:

I don't know, he came off as a much more nuanced character than any of the other members of the Gatewatch. Gideon was mostly just John Cena, Planeswalker and Nissa's comical obsession with being the biggest tree hugger ever was way worse.

I don't think it's so much that the characters are bad as that the writing itself is frequently bad, such that the more time a character spends in the story the less the readers end up liking them.

Gideon is a cardboard cutout but it's a pretty easy archetype to not gently caress up and he doesn't seem to be the perspective character very often.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Madmarker posted:

The other problem with Jace, other than not being Tamiyo, is that we have only had Tamiyo as the only other mono-blue planeswalker. Blue and Green are the only colors that have only had two planeswalkers that were monocolor and standard legal.

Red: Chandra, Tybalt, Koth
Black, Sorin, Liliana, Ob NIxilis
White:Ajani, Elspeth, Gideon
Green: Nissa, Garruk
Blue: Jace, Tamiyo

Further, there are almost as many Nissa cards as there are Garruk cards. However, there is only 1 Non Jace monoblue planeswalker card . He's overstayed his welcome. Retire him for a set or two, replace him with Tamiyo, or some other yet unknown blue planeswalker for a couple of sets, and I guarantee more people would be more kindly disposed to his character.

There was a time when this guy was very strong in standard, extended, and vintage.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

If Jace is the stand-in for the standard magic player, who is the stand-in for the MTGfinance types? Is it sorin? Is it the dragon dude? Is there someone who openly mocks the other planeswalkers about their lack of mana (funding) and inability to cast certain spells?

....is it Jace?

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Silumgar

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Zoness posted:

Well I am wrong that there have only been two different standard blue planeswalkers, but I stand by the overall point that he has worn out his welcome, and there is a lack of diversity in the blue planeswalker slot.

Madmarker fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Mar 30, 2016

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Too bad they killed the coolest blue planeswalker

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Jace is alright.

He talks to a guy about his relationship with Liliana and annoys him so much that the guy turns into a werewolf. Then when he tries to ask his ex for help she calls him a loving idiot and makes him sleep in the dungeon castle. He's awful with people and awful at combat, but good at making himself look smarter than he really is, which is a good hook for a character.

But this a new direction for him, for several years Jace has been on a billion cards, some of which are busted as gently caress and he's consistently gotten flavor text and art that portray him like he's the Batman to Gideon's Superman. And if we're going by the branding that puts him at the front and center of nearly every set then he's not the protagonist we want, but the one we need the brand team wants as the face of the Planar Justice League.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Zoness posted:

Too bad they killed the coolest blue planeswalker

you have to narrow it down

b/c they killed at least two blue planeswalkers, either of whom would be the coolest (three if you count urza)

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Andrast posted:

i take offense to this

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

JOHN CENA posted:

i take offense to this

You are a lot cooler than Gideon.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

UberJew posted:

b/c they killed at least two blue planeswalkers, either of whom would be the coolest (three if you count urza)

Venser is definitely #1.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Chill la Chill posted:

If Jace is the stand-in for the standard magic player, who is the stand-in for the MTGfinance types? Is it sorin? Is it the dragon dude? Is there someone who openly mocks the other planeswalkers about their lack of mana (funding) and inability to cast certain spells?

....is it Jace?

Either covetous or capricious dragon.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Chill la Chill posted:

....is it Jace?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

UberJew posted:

Nah, Teferi's alive, just depowered I think.

Unless you're saying he's uncool just because he's responsible for phasing, because I guess that's fair.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Either covetous or capricious dragon.

I was hoping there was a planeswalker that personified it, but a giant cockroach seems fitting. :v:

black potus
Jul 13, 2006

Accurate.

inkblot
Feb 22, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Andrast posted:

Gideon is Roman Reigns. Hell, he's even starting to look like Reigns.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Zemyla posted:

I hope he gets pulled back to Ravnica and has to do his desk job there for the rest of his life, and Tamiyo becomes the blue planeswalker that shows up everywhere.

(Probably won't happen, because Jace is a neckbeard and a cheeto-stained hand away from being a Magic player, while Tamiyo is a g-g-girl. Which one do you think WotC feels will sell more cards?)

Well seeing as how 2 of the Jacecateers are g-g-girls, and the other "main" walker is also a g-g-girl, I'd say WotC feels that a g-g-girl would sell more cards.

inkblot posted:

Someone mentioned it before and it's impossible for me to separate them at all anymore.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Chill la Chill posted:

....is it Jace?

inkblot posted:

Gideon can trigger Rally. I don't think this comparison works.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Angry Grimace posted:

None of the jacetice league have enough character depth to fill a teaspoon, but Jace has always struck me as the hardest pushed donut steel of the group. They keep stacking lovely tropes into him in this hackest of hackneyed attempts to make him interesting, but all it does is prove that no one in Creative has any right to try to write a story, let alone get paid for it.

I agree with JerryLee that if they got anyone with a shred of writing competency they could be at least nominally interesting characters, but they have apparently decided that fanfiction.net dregs are acceptable.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Angry Grimace posted:

Reigns has recently been getting a lot of crowd reaction, I'll have you know!

inkblot
Feb 22, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Angry Grimace posted:

Everyone booing you at the same time is sort of a rally :v:

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

inkblot posted:

Everyone booing you at the same time is sort of a rally :v:

"You still suck!" - Nissa and Chandra, Tree-Hugger and Tree-Burner of the Jacetice League

E: Nissa is a mark, Chandra is a smark, and Jace is the guy who only likes formerly independent wrestlers but "respects" WWE-grown stars

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

It's way too easy:

Jace = Triple H
Gideon = John Cena
Chandra = Becky Lynch
Nissa = Bayley

I mean, the Becky one is kind of self-evident though:

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Mar 30, 2016

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb
I'd be all for professional wrestling styled gimmicks to show up with planeswalkers.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Angry Grimace posted:

It's way too easy:

Jace = Triple H
Gideon = John Cena
Chandra = Becky Lynch
Nissa = Bayley

I mean, the Becky one is kind of self-evident though:

Chandra + 50 shades of gray trench coat + a diaper? Is this what kids like now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Snacksmaniac posted:

Looming ahead of him was a towering archway, tall enough that six Jaces stacked head to toe could have fit through.

I want to die.

The scale of Jacetice.

• Locked thread