Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I'm the life build with -60% chaos res lol

CI was op in the most boring way, by giving you infinite life

Orange DeviI fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jul 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
Man playing Ngamahu's Axe with Vaal Cyclone and sitting on a bunch of chaos zombie clouds at -60 chaos res was always a gamble for me

psy.Che
Feb 23, 2011

George posted:

CI is supposed to be a weird niche but this game is so lousy with one-shot mechanics that it became mandatory. Now I get the impression that they want to see hybrid builds work, but as long as life leech is in the game we'll be playing around lovely instakill mechanics that are poorly communicated to the player.

Why is it supposed to be a weird niche? Life is relatively hard to come by in the top and right part of the tree seems natural to me that most builds up there would go for ES and many of them for CI.

Goo P-Nut Sack posted:

Yeah but if you have like ~1100 hp behind your fully specced shield why not just take the immunity? If something with chaos damage even sneezes on you, you're gonna die. Every time I'm about to make the switch in that weird 4k/2k hybrid stage I feel paper-like until I actually take CI and spec out of life.

I mostly agree. But chaos damage is rare - the only real issue I remember is the Quarry map boss.

please knock Mom! posted:

CI was op in the most boring way, by giving you infinite life

It was the combination of high hp pool and instant leech for any desired skill. The changes to VP and Ghost reaver would have been plenty enough to counter this. No idea why Vinktars remains untouched.

psy.Che fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jul 11, 2017

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Because those builds are often ranged and imo builds that offscreen mobs also having access to a life pool bigger than the traditionally melee or closer ranged one is a problem
Part of that is shields giving 500es or 100 life

Chaos damage is vipers, vaal constructs, anything chayula, zombie clouds, at least two bloodline mods, at least three exiles i can think of right now (the ed one is actually kind of a killer) and likely a hundred things i can't think of. Being immune to it is pretty nice

Orange DeviI fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jul 11, 2017

psy.Che
Feb 23, 2011
Dunno, except for chayula stuff I've never had issues with any of these as hybrid.

Also, especially with map mods and how far zoomed in you are in PoE, I don't think the difference between melee and ranged is as big as ppl sometimes make it out to be.

Having a big health pool alone isn't gonna save you if you're not able to sustain it - as I said, 2.6 ES would be mostly fine without instant leech that has 0 disadvantage.

Goo P-Nut Sack
Feb 10, 2009

Also you're only invincible with CI once you're dripping in what, 30ex? I found an Energy from Within jewel for the first time in HC Mayhem race and that alone was selling for 75c which was about 6ish Ex. Being that the crazy face-tanking-shaper versions of CI builds are gated behind being level 100 and insanely rich doesn't make it seem unbalanced to me.

I think the game owns and I trust whatever they have in mind. Coming from 3k some hours in HC D3 I have a hard time complaining about the diversity in this game.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Goo P-Nut Sack posted:

Being that the crazy face-tanking-shaper versions of CI builds are gated behind being level 100 and insanely rich doesn't make it seem unbalanced to me.
This just isnt the case though. I had 12k es and vinktar within a week of the ssf hc race

Goo P-Nut Sack
Feb 10, 2009

TheRat posted:

This just isnt the case though. I had 12k es and vinktar within a week of the ssf hc race

From what I've read in the thread in the last six months you also seem to be a very experienced player who can invest a decent amount of time in the game. I only started playing seriously at the start of Legacy. What do you think the percentage is of people who can efficiently play like you do?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Goo P-Nut Sack posted:

From what I've read in the thread in the last six months you also seem to be a very experienced player who can invest a decent amount of time in the game. I only started playing seriously at the start of Legacy. What do you think the percentage is of people who can efficiently play like you do?

Even better, can you give a summary of how you'd go about achieving that sort of result quickly? I'd be super interested to read it!

psy.Che
Feb 23, 2011
This. Also, gently caress Vinktar.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Goo P-Nut Sack posted:

Not that high. But with access to trading and a bit of advice even a newbie can be set up with a pretty sick es leech tank in a week or two.

silvergoose posted:

Even better, can you give a summary of how you'd go about achieving that sort of result quickly? I'd be super interested to read it!

The Vinktar is dumb luck, you need to chance or get random drops of the 4 different agnerods. They're not super-rare, so it's pretty much just a case of grinding until you get it. As for ES gear it's a mixture of random drops and alc/scour or chaos spam. Get a good loot filter that clears out all the poo poo you dont want to pick up, then start running maps. The faster you run them, and the more quantity you have, the faster you'll get geared up.

The most important thing to do is to make sure your first build can be set up quickly with little to no uniques and can farm mid to high tier content easily. That way you can start grinding out the gear you need and then reroll a different character based on what you've accumulated, or sell for currency if you're not playing ssf.

TheRat fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jul 11, 2017

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

psy.Che posted:

But chaos damage is rare

It really loving isnt. Chaos damage is everywhere, especially when you start factoring in mods like beyond or mobs poison on hit. And you've got bad chaos res, a zombie chaos cloud + vuln will absolutely destroy you.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

TheRat posted:

The most important thing to do is to make sure your first build can be set up quickly with little to no uniques and can farm mid to high tier content easily. That way you can start grinding out the gear you need and then reroll a different character based on what you've accumulated, or sell for currency if you're not playing ssf.

While this is undeniably great advice for someone who is going to put a lot of time into a league, surely you realise it's only a small fraction of the playerbase who play this way (or read threads like this on the internet). I'd say most people probably won't even consider rolling a character to farm currency to roll another character.

So by extension I think it's fine that people prepared to do this have relatively easy access to "overpowered" builds that trivialise most content.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

..btt posted:

While this is undeniably great advice for someone who is going to put a lot of time into a league, surely you realise it's only a small fraction of the playerbase who play this way (or read threads like this on the internet). I'd say most people probably won't even consider rolling a character to farm currency to roll another character.

So by extension I think it's fine that people prepared to do this have relatively easy access to "overpowered" builds that trivialise most content.

All I'm saying is don't roll a character on the first day of a new league that requires specific uniques to function properly and expect to have a smooth ride. Especially not if it's anything expensive.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

psy.Che posted:

Of course, chaos damage immunity is nice to have, on the other hand there's a reason why most life builds max elemental resistances but ignore chaos resistance.

Uh any melee life build wants chaos resist.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

TheRat posted:

All I'm saying is don't roll a character on the first day of a new league that requires specific uniques to function properly and expect to have a smooth ride. Especially not if it's anything expensive.

Oh, I thought your original response to Goo P-Nut Sack was that actually these crazy overpowered builds aren't particularly unattainable, to which I was commenting "well I think they kinda are to most people".

Kild posted:

Uh any melee life build wants chaos resist.

Meh, I play SC and I generally skip it.

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:
The biggest hurdle most people have with Chaos res, and usually end up skipping imo, is the jump from "good" rares with 3-4 good affixes which are super cheap, to "great" rares with 5-6 good affixes that are Not Cheap. Once you start consolidating your gear such that you free up a TON of room for things like Chaos res or off-stats for auras (so you can drop passive points or jewel affixes for those stats,) the difference is huge in survivability and quality of life.

Just because your gear is "good enough" on a life build, especially, doesn't mean you shouldn't stop looking for upgrades. Pimp out all your gear (check my lacerate guy for what I'm talking about)

Goo P-Nut Sack
Feb 10, 2009

silvergoose posted:

Uhhh my argument is that most people can't do it? Including me (so far). I like to do the meta dance in games as much as the next guy - I'm just not to the level of knowledge and experience as someone who's played since the game came out and has leveled dozens of characters.

I see it in YouTubes and on twitch and try to mimmic it but there's a lot of stuff to learn in this game. I personally haven't gotten to that level with a build yet due to deaths and inefficiency. That doesn't mean I look at those builds and cry about it though.

Edit: my bad silvergoose I thought you were saying I was bragging that it was easy haha

Goo P-Nut Sack fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jul 11, 2017

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Goo P-Nut Sack posted:

Uhhh my argument is that most people can't do it? Including me (so far). I like to do the meta dance in games as much as the next guy - I'm just not to the level of knowledge and experience as someone who's played since the game came out and has leveled dozens of characters.

I see it in YouTubes and on twitch and try to mimmic it but there's a lot of stuff to learn in this game. I personally haven't gotten to that level with a build yet due to deaths and inefficiency. That doesn't mean I look at those builds and cry about it though.

Sorry I was continuing your statement to the person you quoted. Not asking you directly. And TheRat has already responded to me anyway.

Goo P-Nut Sack
Feb 10, 2009

silvergoose posted:

Sorry I was continuing your statement to the person you quoted. Not asking you directly. And TheRat has already responded to me anyway.

I was in the middle of editing my post my apologies!

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

It's true that it took me like 3 leagues to figure out CI, but it's also true that you can get something comparable in survivability to life builds in 2ex, and starts surpassing life builds by the time you hit like 5ex.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Goo P-Nut Sack posted:

I was in the middle of editing my post my apologies!

No apology necessary, I knew what you had missed. S'all good. We should be all friendly here anyway, super rich people notwithstanding. ;)

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!

psy.Che posted:

This. Also, gently caress Vinktar.

Yup, problem is more instant leech, pathfinder, and unique flasks than energy shield itself.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

..btt posted:

Oh, I thought your original response to Goo P-Nut Sack was that actually these crazy overpowered builds aren't particularly unattainable,

They aren't, I had almost 8k ES with a tabula. The problem wasn't just that you could make invulnerable 15k ES monsters that tanked and snoozed through everything, it was also that you could get to a highly survivable point with way less effort than someone using a life build. That, and the fact ES did away with VP's main (and really big) drawback meant that ES was just the better option. Why go life for staunchings and stun resistance when there's a dozen options to outperform those perks as ES? It's not as if ES is knocked back into obscurity or anything, all the options/items that were added to enhance it are still in the game. It's just not the best at everything anymore.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

Man, I do wish they had given us Softcore SSF this time around though, I'd love to mess around with SSF but I really hate playing hardcore

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Jinnigan posted:

Man, I do wish they had given us Softcore SSF this time around though, I'd love to mess around with SSF but I really hate playing hardcore

Just manually force it then. Play SC but never trade. That's how people played SSF for years before it was a game mode.

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:

They aren't, I had almost 8k ES with a tabula. The problem wasn't just that you could make invulnerable 15k ES monsters that tanked and snoozed through everything, it was also that you could get to a highly survivable point with way less effort than someone using a life build. That, and the fact ES did away with VP's main (and really big) drawback meant that ES was just the better option. Why go life for staunchings and stun resistance when there's a dozen options to outperform those perks as ES? It's not as if ES is knocked back into obscurity or anything, all the options/items that were added to enhance it are still in the game. It's just not the best at everything anymore.

This is a good point that gets overlooked a lot. Look at Legacy HC, especially pathfinders: there are a ton of builds, in hardcore, using a 0 es chest in skin of the loyal. You can still have a 12-15k ES pool while strutting doing obscene damage.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

TheRat posted:

Just manually force it then. Play SC but never trade. That's how people played SSF for years before it was a game mode.

That's like forcing hardcore by just playing softcore and deleting your character if it dies. Technically it works but it's not the same and you need some good self-control to actually stick to it.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Vulpes posted:

That's like forcing hardcore by just playing softcore and deleting your character if it dies. Technically it works but it's not the same and you need some good self-control to actually stick to it.

Sure, but it also allows you to try it out and then change your mind and start trading if you don't enjoy it. So swings and roundabouts I suppose.

psy.Che
Feb 23, 2011

Pure ES builds will definitely be a niche limited to certain ascendancies and builds if they keep the current changes. I'm not sure if you play beta because it sounds like you haven't tried ES in beta yet. For example: with decent gear (including shield) and a lot more investment into ES nodes than before, you end up at about 7-8k ES. Sounds like a lot, right? Well it's not because u have no other mitigation (Armor/evasion) and also no instant leech. The nerf to ES quantities alone is huge. Meaning that if you play anything dealing massive hit damage, you'll regularly instagib yourself on reflect mobs. Of course, you can build around this with certain ascendancies (Elementalist, Ascendant Elementalist) or for example Sybil's Lament but there we have our limits.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

psy.Che posted:

Pure ES builds will definitely be a niche limited to certain ascendancies and builds if they keep the current changes. I'm not sure if you play beta because it sounds like you haven't tried ES in beta yet. For example: with decent gear (including shield) and a lot more investment into ES nodes than before, you end up at about 7-8k ES. Sounds like a lot, right?

No that sounds like a really low figure for decent gear, can you link your char?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Every one of my builds in Legacy was CI, except for my first one which was life based. Same with Breach. In 3.0 I think every build I make is going to be life based.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

How badly do you think King of the Forest got nerfed in the doubledip changes?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Jinnigan posted:

How badly do you think King of the Forest got nerfed in the doubledip changes?

Pretty loving badly, I'd wager

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

Yeah I plugged it into PoB and a barebones assassin in 2.6 (just Death's Opus, Drillneck, Cherrubim's Chest, and Snakebite) was getting 330k DPS on Barrage while a similar setup in 3.0, with all poison passives and new gems, didn't even reach 180k. Jesus Christ Marie

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/6mmid7/spoilers_sneak_preview_of_30_resolution_scaling

Made me laugh.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Ooooh, shiny

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oj8eEj835Fw

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
Yay, now we can fully cosplay Shavronne

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

That looks like a pretty nice clearing skill. I would definitely give it a shot.

Making me excited to see what other skills are coming too.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jul 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
I think we may have gotten our lightning channeled skill finally.

• Locked thread