Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Grundulum posted:

Mad Perrin: Furry Road

Mad Mat: Furyk Road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Data Graham posted:

I figured that’s some “let’s disco dance, Hammurabi!” type stuff. Mashup of all the space race events, like who in 500 years won't believe kennedy lost to Oswald in a gunfight on the moon

Or how Arthur is always shown in high medieval armor rather than, you know, dark ages furs or whatever

rocketrobot posted:

Here's my pitch for a Madlands book: The standing flow still works there. So you have vehicles and poo poo. But the dark one's taint has infected the standing flow so anyone using equipment that uses it goes a little nuts. And they probably wear bondage gear in full sunlight and put spikes on their cars because that's what crazy people do.

that's surprisingly good

Spek
Jun 15, 2012

Bagel!

Khizan posted:

Has it ever been specifically noted that Lenn is John Glenn? Because he never walked on the moon, but two different Alans did and I could see Lenn being derived from Alan.

I always figured Lenn was a derivation of LEM

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I always figured it was John Glenn with Sayla being Sally Ride specifically because of John Glenn's rather famous testimony against having women astronauts. It feels like its an ironic thing that tied them together in the story.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Zore posted:

I always figured it was John Glenn with Sayla being Sally Ride specifically because of John Glenn's rather famous testimony against having women astronauts. It feels like its an ironic thing that tied them together in the story.

yep you got it

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Zore posted:

Mat also meets John Henry as a Hero of the Horn in A Memory of Light

Literally never caught that before. I'll be looking for it now thanks

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I just rewatched the series and unpopular opinion:

I loving loved it. The actors are spectacular, particularly Nynaeve, Mat, and Moiraine.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I don't have a Twitter account anymore so can someone please ask Rafe if the Jak o the Shadows song will be in the show, sung to the tune of Garryowen

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

the show was good op

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I forgot to mention Logain, he ruled

Also Liandrin for that matter, though she forgot to light a cigarette after gentling Logain

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Show better than the books so far. Lets see if it can continue this trend!

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I just rewatched the series and unpopular opinion:

I loving loved it. The actors are spectacular, particularly Nynaeve, Mat, and Moiraine.

Fain and Logain??

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

stop saying things i forgot about

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

stop saying things i forgot about

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

First piece of real show news in a while. They’re rebuilding the Two Rivers for season 3 and the battle thereof.

https://twitter.com/wottvseries/status/1628077964670775304?s=46&t=kBfc6OqQN5hs7_gBPN02RQ

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Hexel posted:

First piece of real show news in a while. They’re rebuilding the Two Rivers for season 3 and the battle thereof.

https://twitter.com/wottvseries/status/1628077964670775304?s=46&t=kBfc6OqQN5hs7_gBPN02RQ

I always figured it'd have made more sense to just keep the stuff there, but I guess this works too.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

I always figured it'd have made more sense to just keep the stuff there, but I guess this works too.

they had to burn most of it, so

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

they had to burn most of it, so

“Had to”. I feel pretty sure there was a way to do that without actually setting fire to the entire drat set, but I can’t say I would have done differently if someone let me torch an entire village and not get in trouble for it.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I love that in an age of everyone complaining about not enough practical effects, a show goes and builds a whole village, burns it down, and then rebuilds it to make it look like a village that was burned down and rebuild, and this is somehow bad.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah they should have just channeled and filmed that

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Current speculation amongst the nerds who study such things is maybe June for season 2 :shrug:

https://twitter.com/geekyeri/status/1618698845118148608?s=46&t=kBfc6OqQN5hs7_gBPN02RQ

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
The Nerdy wordy folks are suggesting it will be September-ish. They have some TV connections (they claim). Possibly some issues in the industry with lack of available VFX studio time.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Another poster reading through The Great Hunt in the "first time readthrough" thread mentioned really enjoying the chapter about everyone experiencing other lives after Rand uses the Portal Stone in his sleep and the "I win again, Lews Therin" line from it and while I can agree it's a very cool and effective bit early in the story to help create tension by highlighting what could go wrong etc, it does kind of stand out in hindsight when the ending makes it plain that the Dark One has never won and probably never will because everyone working for It is ultimately doing so for selfish reasons (beyond, perhaps, Ishamael/Moridin) and that lack of dedication undercuts the Dark One's every time.

It's somewhat harder to buy "oh poo poo, Mat betrays Rand" or "Rand goes mad due to never leaving the Two Rivers" or whatever as a possibility, even in altnerate times or futures, if it's never happened even in millions of iterations of the turning of the Wheel in the past. I suppose it's an inevitable consequence of setting your stage up so that if the villain wins even once that the win for eternity, and there is no way to reset the board or overturn that win though.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
In the shadow worlds the portal stone connects to Rand does die/get betrayed/lose. It just doesn't affect the main timeline, if TDO is imprisoned there he's imprisoned everywhere.

Also he's a loving liar.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

uPen posted:

In the shadow worlds the portal stone connects to Rand does die/get betrayed/lose. It just doesn't affect the main timeline, if TDO is imprisoned there he's imprisoned everywhere.

Also he's a loving liar.

The reverse is surely true too though i.e. if he's free there, he's free everywhere. I'm also not sure how lies could figure into that situation, since the Dark One is presumably not repsonsible for the visions everyone has during the portal stone mishap and it was Rand who realized that the Dark One must always lose because if It's goal is to break the Pattern, then it can't ever have won. Unless the Dark One is lying about wanting to break the Wheel then that kind of has to be true. I suppose it's possible he simply can't break the Wheel/Pattern, at least not in such a way that it can't eventually reassert itself, but if it can then (a) it kind of undercuts some of the stakes the story centers itself around, and (b) there's not actually any direct evidence in the story of that being the case.

tsob fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Feb 24, 2023

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

tsob posted:

The reverse is surely true too though i.e. if he's free there, he's free everywhere. I'm also not sure how lies could figure into that situation, since the Dark One is presumably not repsonsible for the visions everyone has during the portal stone mishap and it was Rand who realized that the Dark One must always lose because if It's goal is to break the Pattern, then it can't ever have won. Unless the Dark One is lying about wanting to break the Wheel then that kind of has to be true. I suppose it's possible he simply can't break the Wheel/Pattern, at least not in such a way that it can't eventually reassert itself, but if it can then (a) it kind of undercuts some of the stakes the story centers itself around, and (b) there's not actually any direct evidence in the story of that being the case.

Verin explicitly states as much, yes.

But also, the dragon dying maybe doesn't mean the world dies in every cycle, who knows.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
The portal stone worlds are also echoes of the 'real' world, not fully realized and separate things in and of themselves. They're spinning out possibilities that could have (but didn't) happen. And while Rand making those choices in the 'real' world would let the Dark One free it doesn't really count in all the echo worlds I guess.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Idk if I agree that the impact of the flickers is lessened by the fact that the dark one has never won, though. It shows how many things can go wrong, how choices could create bad results, but it's like the veins of gold, right? It's the choice that matters, not how destined the result might be.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

tsob posted:

a) The voice in the portal stone worlds is not the Dark One but Ishamael.

b) Instead of thinking of everything as prime universe-alternate universe, think of it as like a single multi-dimensional fractal timeline. In fact, use the age lace metaphor, except instead of it being a flat lace coming out, it's a piece of work in 3d. It's ONE age lace.

c) There's an argument to be made here that since the Creator and the Dark One are not actually on the age lace or part of the Wheel, they're not actually entities you can hope to comprehend from the POV of the people whose souls and lives are woven--because they're not bound by time and therefore causality as seen from the age lace.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

The other way to look at it is that there's different meanings of "winning". Whatever nebulous thing the Dark One has to do to break the Pattern (again assuming that is what he actually wants and not another lie from the Father of Lies) might not come to pass even if his armies wipe out everything or enslave the world.

Entire cycles of Ages could come where the world is ravaged by the minions of Shai'tan, then Something Happens and things begin anew. A lot of the "What Age are we supposed to be in" fan theories posit some form of "reset button" that gets pushed with the time comes for the First Age to come again.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

silvergoose posted:

Verin explicitly states as much, yes.

But also, the dragon dying maybe doesn't mean the world dies in every cycle, who knows.

I wasn't saying anything about the Dragon dying in one world meaning he died in every world; only the Dark One winning in one world meaning he must surely win in all worlds? Or else there's a myriad Dark Ones, a myriad of Wheels, Patterns etc. Which doesn't really gel with the setting as established. That aside, what does Verin explicitly state? That the Pattern would eventually reassert itself should the Dark One win? When does she say that, out of interest? I must have missed it, presuming that's what you mean.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

a) The voice in the portal stone worlds is not the Dark One but Ishamael.

Sure; I just meant that since the argument was "he lies" and that generally means "the Dark One lies" within the context of the story that the Dark One wasn't the one engineering the visions in the Portal Stones. I don't think it was Ishamael engineering the situation for Rand, Mat etc. to experience visions either though. Also, if there's only one Age Lace then that just makes the point that if the Dark One wins in any reality/situation, that he wins in all of them surely? That is how the story wants to establish things, and why I think the ending of "if the Dark One wins even once, he wins for ever but he's never won and probably never will" kind of undercuts all those visions as things that may happen. They're no longer things that could have happened in the past or even an altnernate telling as such, just the cast seeing what bad decisions would lead to but which ultimately don't ever have a chance of actually happening.

tsob fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Feb 24, 2023

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Zore posted:

The portal stone worlds are also echoes of the 'real' world, not fully realized and separate things in and of themselves. They're spinning out possibilities that could have (but didn't) happen. And while Rand making those choices in the 'real' world would let the Dark One free it doesn't really count in all the echo worlds I guess.

The portal stone worlds are fanfics that started and were abandoned, unfinished.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Eh

I think this is elided pretty reasonably in the final books.

Rand can win the last battle but if Mat loses to the Forsaken on the field then everyone is going in a Trolloc cookpot even if the Dark One isn't technically free.

Similarly we see with Avi that Rand can win, the Dark one can fall and everything can still go to complete poo poo because humans are terrible.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

TDO wins no matter what. He either gets imprisoned and slowly escapes over and over or he wins and everyone turns into an evil goth. Getting rid of him would just create a boring goody good rainbow world everyone gets bored of because nothing matters.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

And so we are back to the Creator being the real monster, for having designed the world that way

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Ok Dana

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

TDO is horny and if horny is removed life ends qed

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Invalid Validation posted:

TDO wins no matter what. He either gets imprisoned and slowly escapes over and over or he wins and everyone turns into an evil goth. Getting rid of him would just create a boring goody good rainbow world everyone gets bored of because nothing matters.

The only story we got of "no evil is actually bad" comes from rand's imagining. Maybe it's more that he is just so emo that he can't imagine a world where nothing bad happens

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

tsob posted:

As I recall, the specific statement is a paradox: if the Dark One is imprisoned in any timeline then he is imprisoned in all, and if he is free in any timeline he is free in all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

CainFortea posted:

The only story we got of "no evil is actually bad" comes from rand's imagining. Maybe it's more that he is just so emo that he can't imagine a world where nothing bad happens

Humans are so broke brained I could see paradise being actual hell.