Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
We are going to steal the earths oceans and make the resistance pay for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Knee Bending Update:

https://twitter.com/BuzzFeedAndrew/status/745778887297236993

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Wait....what

I thought

Huh

Trump. Click?

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Who is Donald Trump? We just don't know.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

A living legend of the Civil Rights Movement is leading a sit-in in the House of Representatives to get gun control passed on the day Paul Ryan was supposed to roll out his health care plan.

An especially shady sounding plan, too. Wolf Blitzer asked him why the plan didn't include actual numbers, costs estimates, etc. and his answer was essentially 'I'm not telling anyone until Trump wins the election because we know it'll get passed with no opposition', so you know it's a bag of poo poo.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Trump is officially a known unknown.

Like the Iraq War was.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

ohgodwhat posted:

These numbers don't really make sense to me. It's not like the revenue sent to the federal government by Delaware, Minnesota and New Jersey can cover the money then sent to the other states.

Deficit spending.

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

Joementum posted:

Like the Iraq War was.

We know where Trump's support is. It's in the area around New York City and east, west, south and north somewhat.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Joementum posted:

Like the Iraq War was.

Yeah ok so I'm not hallucinating that he's reversed on that? Known knowns are now bad and known unknowns are good?

Actually I guess that fits in with his iraq views

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Begun, the known wars have

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
You know nothing Don Snow

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Not this bullshit again.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

ohgodwhat posted:

These numbers don't really make sense to me. It's not like the revenue sent to the federal government by Delaware, Minnesota and New Jersey can cover the money then sent to the other states.

It's just the ratio of tax dollars sent to Washington versus total federal spending in the state. The actual dollar amounts are not shown. For example, California would be something like the 8th largest economy in the world if they were independent, so that extra 22% they send to the Feds covers a lot of costs elsewhere. The total population, and thus total spending, in a lot of the high-ratio states is relatively small.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

^^^
I realize they aren't dollar values. However I was for some reason assuming the money the government was receiving from and doling out to states had to net to zero.

showbiz_liz posted:

Deficit spending.

....oh. Duh. Thanks!

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

"Going on tour to promote a solitaire game" sounds like the first draft of a "yo mama so boring" joke

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.
Donald Rumsfield stirs from his eternal torpor to endorse Trump

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Xandu posted:

Hillary has also kind of already switched to Stronger Together, which is also quite clearly targeted towards Trump.

I can imagine Hillary having good connections with Haas-Bioroid. She'd probably get on well with Director Haas.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

showbiz_liz posted:

Kinda wish I hadn't bothered but, eh!

The original image must have used different types of spending data than the two sources I used. I'm wondering if it didn't include military spending?

Hawaii and Virginia are definitely being heavily skewed due to naval bases and other military spending if so.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Wait, this is real? No loving way.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Yeah ok so I'm not hallucinating that he's reversed on that? Known knowns are now bad and known unknowns are good?

Actually I guess that fits in with his iraq views

Known Knowns, Known Unknowns, Unknown Knowns and Unknown Unknowns, all aren't necessarily good or bad. They're just ways of sorting whether or not we know important stuff and whether or not we know that it's important to know it. A Known Known is something that you know and recognize as important to know, an Known Unknown is something that you don't know but recognize as important to know. So Rumsfeld is just saying that the competence and political goals of a president are important, and we know Hillary's but we don't know Trumps. The implication is that we know Hillary's are bad while there's still a chance that Trump's aren't.

I know people are gonna make fun of me for this, but I don't see why the known/unknown known/unknown stuff is made fun of so much. It's not a bad way to visualize access to important information.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

there's no loving way this is real

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Definitely watch this movie and The Fog of War if you haven't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NptUMuDAljA

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Vladimir Putin posted:

Not this bullshit again.

the main known known with Trump is a history of burning down organizations which were foolish enough to take his deals.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
i would say that if it were real it was rumsfeld coyly dissing trump but that guy has the self awareness of a rock

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Now I just want to watch The Boondocks.

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

The fog of war is legit amazing

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

so was the time from about noon until 5p today what all future elections are going to feel like after the magic of the last 11 months or so because :(

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Abel Wingnut posted:

so was the time from about noon until 5p today what all future elections are going to feel like after the magic of the last 11 months or so because :(

2020 will have Kanye

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

For some reason Gary Johnson and Bill Weld have a townhall on cnn right now. I've never seen Gary Johnson speak he's really goofy and bad. Bill Weld is a good speaker though

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Abel Wingnut posted:

people were convinced two days ago that trump was going to drop out and now people seem to be convinced he's winning, perhaps the truth is in the middle

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Civilized Fishbot posted:

2020 will have Kanye

After Trump's success I'm genuinely, no-shitpost convinced that if George Clooney ran in the Dem primary he could become President Clooney.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven
Bill Bennett on Kelly File: "Trump was like Ali in the Thrilla in Manila today, just throwing haymakers!"

Bill Bennett is not exactly a fan of Donald Trump and represents the GOPe here.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The only thing that can stump the trump is himself

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

is there any evidence that people are too afraid to answer truthfully for phone polls? i mean why the hell would someone care if some random rear end person knows they like trump???

Deteriorata posted:

IMO what destroyed manufacturing jobs was intermodal containerized shipping. That dramatically reduced the cost of shipping large quantities of goods across the oceans and made the labor cost differential a significant factor in moving manufacturing elsewhere.

Manufacturing employment had been declining for several decades before any significant trade pacts were signed, so their connection is dubious. NAFTA did not send manufacturing to Mexico as they were already on their way to China by that point and Mexico lost out to them, too.

American manufacturing now concentrates on big low-margin stuff that's difficult and/or expensive to ship. That's why Japanese manufacturers set up shop in the US. They just couldn't ship cars across the ocean fast enough to meet demand.

"Trade agreements cost ARE JERBS!" is just so much populist rhetoric. It doesn't seem to correlate with many facts.

this may be a long shot, but do you know of any articles/books that cover this?

polysynth
Dec 12, 2006

rock out

showbiz_liz posted:

After Trump's success I'm genuinely, no-shitpost convinced that if George Clooney ran in the Dem primary he could become President Clooney.

George Clooney is hot Hed be a good rear end president

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven
Bill Bennett: "He(Trump) is like a drunk, a lecher, a horrible person.. BUT! He's not Lady Macbeth!"

Bill was slurring a bit so I didn't catch it all but... WTF?

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

showbiz_liz posted:

someone itf floated this theory way back in 2012 or so using matt damon as an example. it's truer now than it was then and i thought it had plenty of merit even in those days

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Rocks posted:

For some reason Gary Johnson and Bill Weld have a townhall on cnn right now. I've never seen Gary Johnson speak he's really goofy and bad. Bill Weld is a good speaker though

They are both good. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Karl Sharks posted:

is there any evidence that people are too afraid to answer truthfully for phone polls? i mean why the hell would someone care if some random rear end person knows they like trump???

this may be a long shot, but do you know of any articles/books that cover this?

http://www.economist.com/blogs/economist-explains/2013/05/economist-explains-14 gives it a once over.

quote:

But a paper published in February cleverly disentangles the impact of trade deals from that of containers. Looking at 22 industrialised countries, it finds that containerisation is associated with a 320% increase in bilateral trade over the first five years and 790% over 20 years. A bilateral free-trade agreement, by contrast, boosts trade by 45% over 20 years, and membership of GATT raises it by 285%. In other words, containers have boosted globalisation more than all trade agreements in the past 50 years put together. Not bad for a simple box.
The link to the paper doesn't work anymore, unfortunately.

• Locked thread