Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

A MIRACLE posted:

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/mcy/d/2013-kawasaki-ninja-1000-for/6559185652.html

I have no need for a bike this fast (commuting 40mi a day) but it seems like a really good deal

Slavvy posted:

If it's never been downed why is it two different colors.

That's just the factory paint for a white 2013 Ninja 1000 :laugh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Oh for real? What in the gently caress, you're supposed to make the ugly parts black and the sides body color.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

lol if it was all white it would look like a dried up dog turd

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/mcy/d/cbr1000f-1991-engine-recently/6563847315.html

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Cb1000f's are dried up dog turds yeah.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

A MIRACLE posted:

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/mcy/d/2013-kawasaki-ninja-1000-for/6559185652.html

I have no need for a bike this fast (commuting 40mi a day) but it seems like a really good deal

seems ok as long as you know its not a zx-10r but a ninja 1000 instead.

That would look pretty nice with 2 long stainless exhausts instead of the ones it came with

What the hell kawasaki, whoever picks the colors needs a slap upside the head

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Apr 18, 2018

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I mean they used to be pretty great. I guess the guy responsible for this died or something:

I call dibs on this one, it's just down the road and I'm probably going to go ogle it later today.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Fauxtool posted:

That would look pretty nice with 2 long stainless exhausts instead of the ones it came with
I think the z1000's stubby exhausts look good. They fit with the otherwise angular looks of the bike.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I thought we were all in agreement that Kawasaki makes functionally great but aesthetically terrible bikes? I mean just look at literally any bike they’ve made in the last 30 years.

tjones
May 13, 2005
Newer Kawi supers don't look bad. They remind me a lot of Aprilla offerings. The older original 636 era reminded me of Truimph/Yamaha with the bubble front. They could have done a lot worse, IMO.

I've never been a huge fan of the transformer-like nakeds, but it's not like Kawi has a monopoly in that design area.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I thought we were all in agreement that Kawasaki makes aesthetically terrible bikes?

We are not. :colbert:

e/ I mean yeah I won't disagree that the majority of their bikes are pretty fugly, but there are some unambiguously good looking gems, even accounting for my somewhat odd taste

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Apr 18, 2018

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Slavvy posted:

If it's never been downed why is it two different colors.

That isn't stock? I like the look of that two-tone.

Edit: Oh, it is stock!

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I thought we were all in agreement that Kawasaki makes functionally great but aesthetically terrible bikes? I mean just look at literally any bike they’ve made in the last 30 years.

Me and the ZX-7RR will fight you, while the first-gen Z1000 holds all of our coats on it's four exhausts.

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Me and the ZX-7RR will fight you, while the first-gen Z1000 holds all of our coats on it's four exhausts.

Also: H2.

Heck, even the Ninja 400 is looking pretty sweet for what it is.

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

Anyone have experience with the Triumph ST/GTs?
I'm looking really hard at VFRs right now, but I'm open to other sport tourers, and this one caught my eye. But, you know, british reliability.

Looking to really put down the miles this summer, and I want something that has enough room for bags, and isn't an adventure bike, because i just hate the feel of those, or at least the vstrom (only adventure bike I've ridden)

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008

spouse posted:

I'm looking really hard at VFRs right now, but I'm open to other sport tourers, and this one caught my eye. But, you know, british reliability.

Looking to really put down the miles this summer, and I want something that has enough room for bags, and isn't an adventure bike, because i just hate the feel of those, or at least the vstrom (only adventure bike I've ridden)

Just curious, have you done any touring on your Ninja?

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

Dutymode posted:

Just curious, have you done any touring on your Ninja?

I've done about 10-15 day trips to the blue ridge parkway and the beach over the last year, 8-9 hours of riding, broken up in chunks. varying numbers of miles. Used to be okayish (leg cramps on any highway stretch), but very uncomfortable after about 2 hours now that I've resprung/valved the suspension for better handling. Also, I'm 6'4" and honestly too tall for the bike, though it's an excellent commuter and I'm not getting rid of it. Paying $7 for gas a week and $175 for 100/300 liability insurance is just loving fantastic for my commute.

I want something that's a good all rounder, but it doesn't have to be great at city commuting, so it can be a bit bigger, which is why I'm looking at sport touring. Really just looking for comfy seat, big enough that 6'4" me can fit on it for hours, and prettier than the 500 (which isn't hard).

edit: i just realized that really isn't "touring". I've done one more than 400 mile trip, and it was miserable by the end. I'd like to do 1000+ mile trips to see family in the midwest over the summer.

spouse fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Apr 20, 2018

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf

spouse posted:

I had a Sprint GT and currently have a VFR. The Sprint got wrecked when a women ran a red light and took me out otherwise I would still have it. It's a bit more top heavy and unwieldy compared to the VFR, has stupid gauges, somehow manages to run even hotter than a VFR when you're sitting still, but the engine with it's low end torque is so nice it papers over those flaws. It's also got a few nice things like a built in charging port (in some weird BMW size, not normal car charger size), high beam flash trigger, and an oil filter you can get to without removing the fairings. I didn't have any maintenance issues with it which was good since the nearest dealer was 100 miles away. Try them both and see if you get hooked by the big torque from the Triumph.

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

I'll check it out. I just found a red/white/blue anniversary VFR for sale near me, going to see it this weekend. I'll take a look at the triumph I saw.

Is there an upper mileage you'd stop at for any of them? I know the VFR's are notoriously long lived, but all I've ever heard from triumphs are that they leak oil and break down, yet I'm seeing a ton of sprints at like 40k+.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
Those Tricolor VFRs are gorgeous. I’ve been eyeballing one on my local CL for a few days.

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf

spouse posted:

I'll check it out. I just found a red/white/blue anniversary VFR for sale near me, going to see it this weekend. I'll take a look at the triumph I saw.

Is there an upper mileage you'd stop at for any of them? I know the VFR's are notoriously long lived, but all I've ever heard from triumphs are that they leak oil and break down, yet I'm seeing a ton of sprints at like 40k+.

The triumph issues are with the parallel twins in the bonevilles, the triples are pretty rock solid. I bought mine with 30000 miles and it was fine, and I actually sort of prefer a sport tourer have some miles so you know they aren't just taking it out 3 time a year and never doing any maintenance. With the VFRs stick to 2006 and up which is when they got a big electronics refresh so they stop destroying the R&R units. Also see when they last had the valves adjusted, it's supposed to be every 16k miles and it is like $500 because of the vtec poo poo.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I've seen a lot of issues with the older carbureted triples, I have to say. Carbs and ignition and stuff.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Is there any major issues with KTMs? Looking to get an RC390 as a first bike. I've read the older ones had lovely brakes but not heard much else.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

1500quidporsche posted:

Is there any major issues with KTMs? Looking to get an RC390 as a first bike. I've read the older ones had lovely brakes but not heard much else.

Ah ha!

Sprung!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I've seen a lot of issues with the older carbureted triples, I have to say. Carbs and ignition and stuff.

Triumph electrical systems are just one big tyre fire in general.

1500quidporsche posted:

They are an awesome bike but if you want Japanese level unburstabilty, get a Japanese bike. If you're ok dealing with the occasional niggle then get one.

See also: ninja 400, r3

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
does occasional niggle mean being assembled wrong at the factory with parts missing from the engine?

From what I hear you just want to avoid any of the cheaper KTMs being built in india as the QC isnt there yet.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

The 390s are built by Bajaj in india.

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

BitcoinRockefeller posted:

The triumph issues are with the parallel twins in the bonevilles, the triples are pretty rock solid. I bought mine with 30000 miles and it was fine, and I actually sort of prefer a sport tourer have some miles so you know they aren't just taking it out 3 time a year and never doing any maintenance. With the VFRs stick to 2006 and up which is when they got a big electronics refresh so they stop destroying the R&R units. Also see when they last had the valves adjusted, it's supposed to be every 16k miles and it is like $500 because of the vtec poo poo.

I'm looking at an '06 and '07 VFR. The triumphs have 30k miles (reasonable) and 48k (makes me nervous) Is the valve adjustment doable myself? I've done a total of one thusfar, albeit on a bike without vtec (yo).

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It's no more difficult than a normal bike, it's just three times as time consuming cause of the amount of interlocking bullshit you have to strip to reach the heads.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I may be biased, but my ZX14R look great to me. It got rid of the silly bug eyes of the fist gen ZX14.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

Quite A Tool posted:

Those Tricolor VFRs are gorgeous. I’ve been eyeballing one on my local CL for a few days.

6th gen? I can vouch for the greatness of the bike, and the gorgeous looks. I only sold mine and bought my ZX14 because I wanted a bit more power.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Slavvy posted:

They are an awesome bike but if you want Japanese level unburstabilty, get a Japanese bike. If you're ok dealing with the occasional niggle then get one.

Fauxtool posted:

does occasional niggle mean being assembled wrong at the factory with parts missing from the engine?

From what I hear you just want to avoid any of the cheaper KTMs being built in india as the QC isnt there yet.

For reference, 1500 is a dude who races go karts using tyres he literally pulls out of dumpsters next to the porta-pottys at the track. He doesn't mind fettling.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Look just because someone else threw it out doesn't mean it's not a good tire

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Fauxtool posted:

More like in the 2014-2016 model the wrong spec gasket was used to seal the plate at the bottom of the gas tank under the fuel pump unit. The gasket swells under certain conditions and warps the plate, meaning you now have gas leaking. The good, generally they just have to replace the gasket, and it's done under warranty. The bad, mine not only was the gasket bad, but it warped the plate enough that they couldn't get it to seal. I got a whole new unit with plate and gasket replaced under warranty. I also had one of the cover bolts wiggle out and get lost, again replaced for free.

Other than that in the 2 years of ownership the only other big issue I have is the rear tire. I've had 4 of them on the bike and I've only worn out 1, the drat thing is a nail/staple/road debris magnet.

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I've purged the existence of carbureted engines from my brain as anything other than a historical anachronism so I didn't even think of them.

chicagobutters
Sep 7, 2015

spouse posted:

For what it’s worth, I have an 8th Gen VFR and absolutely love it. The ‘14 & ‘15 model years were really hit hard in the initial reviews, but fortunately I had a chance to ride one and eventually bought a new one for a steep discount a few years ago. Earlier generations have a cult like following for a reason.

vfrworld.com and vfrdiscussion.com will provide a wealth of information, and lots of modding opportunities if you’re into that sort of thing as well.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

1500quidporsche posted:

Just buy a superduke and be done with it

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf

chicagobutters posted:

For what it’s worth, I have an 8th Gen VFR and absolutely love it. The ‘14 & ‘15 model years were really hit hard in the initial reviews, but fortunately I had a chance to ride one and eventually bought a new one for a steep discount a few years ago. Earlier generations have a cult like following for a reason.

vfrworld.com and vfrdiscussion.com will provide a wealth of information, and lots of modding opportunities if you’re into that sort of thing as well.

Definitely this. I'm looking at cycle trader for wisconsin and a tricolor 07 with 30000 miles is going for 5k and 2 no mileage 2014 vfrs are going for 6.5k. That's a no brainer right there, you get to step up to abs and tc, plus no dumb side mounted radiators.

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

BitcoinRockefeller posted:

Definitely this. I'm looking at cycle trader for wisconsin and a tricolor 07 with 30000 miles is going for 5k and 2 no mileage 2014 vfrs are going for 6.5k. That's a no brainer right there, you get to step up to abs and tc, plus no dumb side mounted radiators.

I didn't even think about new old stock. The nearest one to me though is https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2014-Honda-Interceptor-5001805339 which is 200 miles from me, and it is used. There's a new one for $9500 about 15 miles away. There are a bunch of 1200's, but I'm not interested in those. Has about 100lbs and 70hp more than I'm looking for.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
there is a 2016 for 8k with 125 miles near me. I wonder what happened there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
Anyone ever had a CBR 1100XX? This is looking pretty tempting if I can knock a few hundo off the asking price. It’d also be a lot easier for my wife to ride with me than some nutty race replica as she’s taller than me by a bit.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/mcy/d/1999-honda-cbr1100xx-blackbird/6564545056.html