Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I haven't put any of my collection into discogs apart from poo poo I bought off the site so I just go hit the button when the sale's done, so that's like five records. None of them were super-expensive. I think I paid like $20 for an unopened fan club repressing of into the unknown, which was about right.

I guess I should eventually do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

hexwren posted:

I haven't put any of my collection into discogs apart from poo poo I bought off the site so I just go hit the button when the sale's done, so that's like five records. None of them were super-expensive. I think I paid like $20 for an unopened fan club repressing of into the unknown, which was about right.

I guess I should eventually do that.

If you've gotten to the point where you're going to the record store, see something for a good price, and then have to think for awhile whether you have it already: it's time to load everything on discogs.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
These are the first records that I ever owned

They were my sister’s. They’re scuffed to poo poo and sound like poo poo, I haven’t played them in many years but I’m gonna keep em for sentimental reasons

Also that Fox and the Hound is my only picture disc. I aims to keep it that way

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008
I've been collecting for probably 15 years at this point; according to Discogs I have around 2500 records, but (a) at least 200 of that is CDs/tapes and (b) I have a fuckload of box sets which probably push the number of actual records past 3000. I basically have a 5x5 Kallax which is full up, then like 6 or 7 boxes of stuff on the floor along with most of the box sets.

collection link: https://www.discogs.com/user/trdn89/collection

here's a slice of my top median value stuff (#1 and #2 are the Beatles mono box and the Bowie "Five Years" box but those are less interesting):

I have that Mumford & Sons EP because back when the exchange rate/shipping costs were more reasonable I would just buy random stuff that Rough Trade recommended, and they were SUUUUUUPER pushing that one back in 2008. I listened to it once, recoiled in horror, logged it on Discogs, and filed it away; I immediately started getting (and still get to this day) messages from hardcore Mumford & Sons fans begging me to sell or trade it to them.

here's my Caretaker/Leyland Kirby collection:

marjorie
May 4, 2014

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

If you've gotten to the point where you're going to the record store, see something for a good price, and then have to think for awhile whether you have it already: it's time to load everything on discogs.

I'll do you one better - I recently went to a couple shops on a Saturday and came home to find that I'd bought the same record twice in that outing. I could've sworn I'd put it back at the first store...

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

CPL593H posted:

How long has everyone been collecting?

:hellyeah: this is the question I've been waiting for!!!!

I started "collecting" in 2003. I didn't start buying records because they're records, though. I listen to a lot of punk, and a huge amount of punk is released on vinyl only.

This was the first record I bought, in 2003. It was June 27th, because Strom Thurmond died the night before. :hehe:

And here is what my discogs shows for median price.

That Panda Bear is a CD actually but I don't care!! It's probably actually one of the rarest releases I own, especially considering how popular he is. He estimates there's only 200 in circulation. I actually went looking for it the other day for some reason, and when I opened it up the CD wasn't inside and I felt so sad, but then I found a generic CD case next to it with the CD inside, because I think when I moved last the CD had fallen out. :sweatdrop:

I'll trade that Atheist boxset for something good if anyone is interested.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Caaaaaannnnnnnnnn’t wait for that Animal Collective set at Desert Daze. I’ve never seen ‘em with all members present. :hellyeah:

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

I actually doubled up for the first time a few months ago---picked up Ted Leo's live at third man LP, even though I had a copy already. It was still sealed and it was the same day, so I ended up taking it back and grabbing a couple other pieces instead (I think a pair of Warren Zevon records from the used bin.)

And, yeah, I should, I just really don't want to go through the hassle of trying to figure out if something's VG+ or NM-, I don't have the time, the brain energy or the eyeballs to do that.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

trdn89 posted:

I've been collecting for probably 15 years at this point; according to Discogs I have around 2500 records, but (a) at least 200 of that is CDs/tapes and (b) I have a fuckload of box sets which probably push the number of actual records past 3000.
Good point: if I used it to catalogue my digital music, I'd have one heck of a collection on there.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

hexwren posted:

And, yeah, I should, I just really don't want to go through the hassle of trying to figure out if something's VG+ or NM-, I don't have the time, the brain energy or the eyeballs to do that.
Then don't? I never bothered to figure out the condition of anything I own, since I'm not selling stuff on Discogs, I'm just using it as a reference.

Moe_Rahn fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Aug 31, 2019

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Turbinosamente posted:

And in case anyone was wondering, yes I rethought it and chickened out on posting a dedicated CD thread. A good chunk of this thread is posting pick ups (which is what I was looking for an excuse to do) and it seemed redundant to have multiple pick ups type threads split along format lines. Do we have a general "check out this weird CD/record/tape I found in a shop" type thread here or no?

In August I picked up 5 West Germany / Japan Target CDs and a few other Japan for US early releases. Also bought my 4th vintage CD player. Yamaha CDX-900 Made In Japan with two Bill Butt DACs one for each channel.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Moe_Rahn posted:

Then don't? I never bothered to figure out the condition of anything I own, since I'm not selling stuff on Discogs, I'm just using it as a reference.

Oh. I never input anything manually, I didn't know you didn't have to.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

caligulamprey posted:

Caaaaaannnnnnnnnn’t wait for that Animal Collective set at Desert Daze. I’ve never seen ‘em with all members present. :hellyeah:

Man Desert Daze seems like a rad concept, but I’m so antisocial and pessimistic, I am not sure I can do festivals. I think I’m scarred for life from 77 Boadrum. The line was literally a mile long, and while walking to the back I overheard gems like “who is this again” and “I don’t know if I want to be here instead of getting drunk.” NYPD closed down the entrance before I got in. We went to the entrance anyway and like 5 minutes into the show people were already leaving and NYPD still wouldn’t let anyone in :mad:

I ended up sitting on the rocks across the little cove. You could still hear the music but not quite the same experience. :smith:

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Boinks posted:

In August I picked up 5 West Germany / Japan Target CDs and a few other Japan for US early releases. Also bought my 4th vintage CD player. Yamaha CDX-900 Made In Japan with two Bill Butt DACs one for each channel.

Nice! I have yet to see any target CDs in my travels so most of what I've been picking up is classic rock music and bands that I "missed" and the occasional "this looks interesting let's try it" purchase. Still very much in the honeymoon phase of collecting in that regard, which has led to discoveries such as not really liking Stone Temple Pilots or Queensryche and finding Ozzy's comeback album, Ozzmosis, kinda okay? I guess? The same okayness goes for bands that I never previously heard of like Blue Murder and Modey Lemon. Nothing lately has set my world on fire but I've known for a while that my taste in music is hot garbage anyways. My recent unironic purchase of Lord Sutch and Heavy Friends is proof of that.

Also got new speakers for the JVC player upstairs, but still running a ghetto set up by putting them through the headphone jack. One day I'll get a proper audio reciever.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Why the hell did my phone auto correct Bill Burr to Bill Butt?

I've been on a mid 80s synth pop kick lately, also many blind buys but I haven't been burned on too many yet. Discovered Bryan Ferry and Echo & The Bunny Men.

Boinks fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Aug 31, 2019

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Boinks posted:

Why the hell did my phone auto correct Bill Burr to Bill Butt?

I've been on a mid 80s synth pop kick lately, also many blind buys but I haven't been burned on too many yet. Discovered Bryan Ferry and Echo & The Bunny Men.

Have you never listened to Roxy Music?

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

CPL593H posted:

Have you never listened to Roxy Music?

I had Avalon on CD but didn't pay much attention to it until now.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Boinks posted:

I had Avalon on CD but didn't pay much attention to it until now.

Listen to the first two albums because they had Brian Eno. The few after are good too, just stop when you get to Siren.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Virginia plain is an awesome song. That is the name of it right?

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

CPL593H posted:

Listen to the first two albums because they had Brian Eno. The few after are good too, just stop when you get to Siren.

I'll check them out, thanks.

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008

CPL593H posted:

Avalon is a five star masterpiece you god damned MONSTER. Manifesto is also completely worth owning just for Dance Away and Angel Eyes. And Ferry's solo records Flesh & Blood and Bete Noire are extremely great too.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

trdn89 posted:

Avalon is a five star masterpiece you god damned MONSTER. Manifesto is also completely worth owning just for Dance Away and Angel Eyes. And Ferry's solo records Flesh & Blood and Bete Noire are extremely great too.

They were never better than they were with Brian Eno.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCzhAeukF1A

edit: The first video of this that I linked cuts off the cool part at the end. This one has it.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Aug 31, 2019

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

thrilla in vanilla posted:

Virginia plain is an awesome song. That is the name of it right?

Yeah it whips rear end

Dude getting into new wave, listen to Sparks

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

If you’re suggesting New Wave Spark I’d single out Angst in My Pants as their best most new-wavy release. They’re all over the map from album to album.

Need that new album.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down
Thanks to this thread I found out my dredg albums are worth a lot, and my median $250 pressing of El Cielo has this cool poo poo I never knew about :

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
I am so angry that I missed out on the 10th anniversary press of Catch Without Arms.

I'll eventually suck it up and pay the discogs price, but not today.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Dredg was a good band didn't realize they were a hot commodity

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Photex posted:

Dredg was a good band didn't realize they were a hot commodity

I think it's that with the size of the fanbase, the vinyl pressings are accordingly small. Nobody will buy El Cielo who's not a pretty big fan so you can't just buy it online whenever.

Edit: I actually refused to ever buy or listen to the last album just based on artwork and title. For a band that was very much concerned with great artwork...come on man.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Sep 1, 2019

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down
Let's pretend their last album never happened and their self announced new record and tour this year is actually gonna happen

Nail Rat posted:

I am so angry that I missed out on the 10th anniversary press of Catch Without Arms.

I'll eventually suck it up and pay the discogs price, but not today.

Whenever you do, it's a cool package and totally worth it. I love Drew's artwork

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Welp it's CDs and not vinyl, but dammit I did way better at the thrift store yesterday than at the record shop:

Guess which pile is which. Of course it mostly boils down to luck, but it was quite frustrating to not be able to find much of what I wanted in the record shops massive CD section.

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no

My Lovely Horse posted:

I'd love to see pictures! I'm mostly interested in how stable it is, too. I'm also a moron so I bet it'll be a good benchmark.

I've been doing this records thing for only about 1.5 years and I've got around 90. It definitely feels like I'm moving quickly. Went to visit my parents the other day where my dad has been buying music since the 60s and he's got maybe 200-250 (although also a good amount of CDs, tapes, MiniDiscs...).

Here's a couple shots of the cabinet.

We recently moved from NY to LA and it survived, so it's definitely solid. There's probably around 80 records each in 3 of the slots right now which leaves plenty of space to grow. The thing's a beast and I have no doubt it would hold 500ish records. I'm actually more concerned with the weight it concentrates in one spot on the floor.

You should definitely give it a shot, though. I think all in I spent about $80 (that includes the wood, veneer trim, kreg jig, Robertson bits, screws, and a few rattle cans of paint). It's an affordable/not super-difficult "weekend" project.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Turbinosamente posted:

Welp it's CDs and not vinyl, but dammit I did way better at the thrift store yesterday than at the record shop:

Guess which pile is which. Of course it mostly boils down to luck, but it was quite frustrating to not be able to find much of what I wanted in the record shops massive CD section.

That's an ECD version of The Numer of the Beast...it'll have a couple of killer 240p videos on it!

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Nail Rat posted:

That's an ECD version of The Numer of the Beast...it'll have a couple of killer 240p videos on it!

Sure is! I grabbed it because it was cheap and well, physically there in front of me. I figured it a good enough intro to Iron Maiden and I can always buy the fancy re-releases later if I like it enough. I think the last time I bothered looking at enhanced CD content was with Disturbed's Believe album and iirc it was little more than direct links to their website. Since then I have never cared about an ECD and I don't think the rest of the world has either.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

Toe Rag posted:

:hellyeah: this is the question I've been waiting for!!!!

I started "collecting" in 2003. I didn't start buying records because they're records, though. I listen to a lot of punk, and a huge amount of punk is released on vinyl only.

This was the first record I bought, in 2003. It was June 27th, because Strom Thurmond died the night before. :hehe:

Hell ya, I think you recommended 1905 to me like 13 years ago or something silly

Sudbina
Mar 17, 2009
A person sent me the vinyl for SZA's CTRL through a recent Reddit Gifts event:

https://www.redditgifts.com/gallery/gift/vinyl-szas-ctrl/

I'm excited to listen to it.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I have two copies of MBDTF by Kanye and I can only assemble one sort of ok sounding set out of the six LPs total. the weight of the vinyl is dramatically different comparing the same LP from each set, like ~20g difference. WTF is going on here?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

The Walrus posted:

I have two copies of MBDTF by Kanye and I can only assemble one sort of ok sounding set out of the six LPs total. the weight of the vinyl is dramatically different comparing the same LP from each set, like ~20g difference. WTF is going on here?

Everyone complains about that set. I guess it was just terrible quality control.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

wa27 posted:

Everyone complains about that set. I guess it was just terrible quality control.

That's what I've seen but most comments seem to be in regard to the mastering or sound quality. How on earth do you get the weight of the vinyl to be off by like a full fifth? Did they literally just scoop out wax by hand? Very curious if anyone with manufacturing knowledge has any idea how the heck this could happen.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

wa27 posted:

It's a goddamn shame about that pressing because the packaging/artwork is really cool. But between the unnecessary 3x LP and terrible mastering quality, I rarely spin this one and its one of my favorites of all time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

late to the party but I finally 1) downsized my piles of bullshit and 2) cataloged keepers so here's my overpriced records list:

Thursday, Bon Iver, & Finch are destined for the Discogs Market after seeing those prices :blastu: