Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

Avshalom posted:

so far i have updated excel spreadsheets, uploaded videos made by other people onto the internet, phoned confectionery companies to ask for free samples, and called a bunch of high schools to get contact details for their art departments :/

Internships! The best way to learn about a career about all of the administrative poo poo that goes on in the same office as a job you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

detectivemonkey posted:

Internships! The best way to learn about a career about all of the administrative poo poo that goes on in the same office as a job you want.
unfortunately to actually fulfil my course requirements i need to be designing stuff, and as i'm on probation for a week i won't find out if they're willing to let me do that sort of work / lie to my university until i've potentially sunk 40 wasted unpaid hours into this job

Thora
Aug 21, 2006

Look on my Posts, ye Mighty, and despair!
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal Wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away
Lumps can come and go, but to be on the safe side visit a doctor anyway.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

Avshalom posted:

unfortunately to actually fulfil my course requirements i need to be designing stuff, and as i'm on probation for a week i won't find out if they're willing to let me do that sort of work / lie to my university until i've potentially sunk 40 wasted unpaid hours into this job

You will have spent 40 hours at a place where people do what you want to do. Some of my most useful work experiences were unpaid or very low paid intern-y work. It's frustrating sometimes, but you're good and they know that already so no fear!

stimulated emission
Apr 25, 2011

D-D-D-D-D-D-DEEPER
if youre young (like younger than 45) they're likely cysts but dont be part of that statistic where they brushed the lump off as it was nuttin
and then they dead
oops

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I had a little lump awhile ago. I forget whether it moved or not, but it was the bad one. I went in to get it looked at and the nurse was legit mad. "All breasts have fat and fat is lumpy!!" Okay well gently caress checking again, then. I will just wait until I die and then my corpse will sue you for a billion dollars. That will show you.

Anyway I didn't die and my breasts didn't fall off or anything, so yeah, you could be fine.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Anne Whateley posted:

I had a little lump awhile ago. I forget whether it moved or not, but it was the bad one. I went in to get it looked at and the nurse was legit mad. "All breasts have fat and fat is lumpy!!" Okay well gently caress checking again, then. I will just wait until I die and then my corpse will sue you for a billion dollars. That will show you.

Anyway I didn't die and my breasts didn't fall off or anything, so yeah, you could be fine.

i could be fine! i could also be about to die when my flesh eats itself and i rot from the inside out while still alive.

so, you know

life

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Anne Whateley posted:

Medical people are always touchy about having their "time wasted" but they also get touchy when we don't come in ASAP. Pick one! :argh:

Basically they expect you to be an expert diagnostician with no training.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
and then they tell you not to go on webmd and diagnose yourself

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
i've heard that if you come in with an idea about what you have they'll be less likely to think that's what it is because they want to prove you wrong

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
really the doctors want you to just go die in a bush

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

WEEDLORDBONERHEGEL posted:

i've heard that if you come in with an idea about what you have they'll be less likely to think that's what it is because they want to prove you wrong

I bet this is only true for female patients, as a dude 9 times out of 10 the doctor agrees with what I think the problem is

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Torka posted:

I bet this is only true for female patients, as a dude 9 times out of 10 the doctor agrees with what I think the problem is

ha ha, yeah, i get talked to so often like i'm a child inexplicably wearing an adult's face

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
sounds like lupus

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

pixelbaron posted:

and then they tell you not to go on webmd and diagnose yourself

My previous doctor blew off my thyroid issues with "Eh, it's probably a virus or something - it'll bounce back."

My current doctor was just like ":wtc: it's probably Hashimoto's."

I do in fact, have Hashimoto's.

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

ha ha, yeah, i get talked to so often like i'm a child inexplicably wearing an adult's face

lame.

I prefer women GPs because ime they listen more and are less brusque when pressed for time

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
not just at the doctor's, everywhere. like the time i told a dude i study the early modern period, he asked "what is that," i said "like the thirty years' war," and he said "religion was the cause of that, you know"

yeah, explain it to me in tiny words plz

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

Torka posted:

lame.

I prefer women GPs because ime they listen more and are less brusque when pressed for time
they also seem to have a better understanding of poo poo that women go through and are less likely to blow you off with the "oh you're just being an EMOTIONAL WOMAN there's nothing wrong with you that sharp shooting pain is normal.

your copay is fitty bucks."

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
men should see male gps and women should see female gps imo

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

not just at the doctor's, everywhere. like the time i told a dude i study the early modern period, he asked "what is that," i said "like the thirty years' war," and he said "religion was the cause of that, you know"

yeah, explain it to me in tiny words plz

hahaha how do you avoid exploding with rage when that happens

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Torka posted:

hahaha how do you avoid exploding with rage when that happens
uh...

it happens so often that it would be pointless to do so, plus the instant you are observed taking any of this seriously you're "thin skinned" or "an sjw" and now whoooooops lost all credibility

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

Obligatory Toast posted:

they also seem to have a better understanding of poo poo that women go through and are less likely to blow you off with the "oh you're just being an EMOTIONAL WOMAN there's nothing wrong with you that sharp shooting pain is normal.

your copay is fitty bucks."

yeah I don't doubt it

I can't find the link now but I read an article last year saying some scarily high percentage of doctors were unaware when asked that the symptoms of a heart attack are different for women

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
just on her rag dont pay attention to her

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
pain is normal in your cycle, honey

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

/\/\/\ oh my god

Portals fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Apr 4, 2014

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

uh...

it happens so often that it would be pointless to do so, plus the instant you are observed taking any of this seriously you're "thin skinned" or "an sjw" and now whoooooops lost all credibility

p sure if some of the stories women tell happened to me daily I would become a suicide bomber

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

all i can think is hemmingway, but no way that's right

who is it

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

Portals posted:

one of my aunts literally did this when my grandparents took the family on a cruise for their anniversary

in college one of my math teachers did this every class

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

pixelbaron posted:

in college one of my math teachers did this every class

lol, "one of"

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
that i know of!

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

pain is normal in your cycle, honey

no poo poo my girlfriend never shuts up about it for two or three days every month

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

SpazmasterX posted:

no poo poo my girlfriend never shuts up about it for two or three days every month
is it so bad that it makes her black out or throw up?

that's the worst

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

is it so bad that it makes her black out or throw up?

that's the worst

yo if your menstrual cramps are making you literally black out you might want to see a doctor

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

SpazmasterX posted:

yo if your menstrual cramps are making you literally black out you might want to see a doctor

"that'll happen. here's a script for some ibuprofen and horomonal bc that miiiight work for you or it might make everything worse! who knows."

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~
maybe take some iron supplements too

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

SpazmasterX posted:

dude

that is literally what this page has been about

that was the line you responded to with "no poo poo my girlfriend never shuts up about it for two or three days every month", i was making fun of how doctors often don't listen to us

that's :thejoke:

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

It's cool when a doc cuts you off when you explain what's up to be like 'yeah, those are menstrual cramps, they tend to hurt'

Like you're going say "oh man, NO ONE EVER SAID that this stuff hurts! This is the first I'm hearing about it! drat do I feel foolish!"

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

dude

that is literally what this page has been about

that was the line you responded to with "no poo poo my girlfriend never shuts up about it for two or three days every month", i was making fun of how doctors often don't listen to us

that's :thejoke:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

a screenshot for every occasion

• Locked thread