Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

This was an extremely good Lilith run where the progression of powerups went piss -> piss eyes -> piss scythes, then whatever made them red, and also I was Guppy. Wish this weren't such an early save that I don't have anything past Mom's Heart unlocked—I could've gone all the way with Ketchup & Mustard Reaper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

Number One is great as Lilith since the incubus ignores range and shot speed downgrades (and upgrades...). Free tears up with no drawbacks

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Hey, I finished Brains! Let's just take a celebratory screenshot... wait, this goes to The Chest?!

Figures. What hurts most is I maybe could've done this but I swapped Guppy's Head for the Bible back in Depths 2, because I thought the challenge only went up to the Womb. :sigh:

Edit: And yeah, I'm deliberately heading away from the boss room in that last shot, because the only way forward was a room with two Gates I couldn't clear. I was hoping maybe I'd luck into something good, and no way was that gonna happen.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Apr 17, 2019

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Got my highest daily finish out of like a dozen in the top 125. Finished the Lost run with all 9 lives :cool:

I do appreciate the Dedication achievement forcing me to play dailies. I likely wouldn't have otherwise, but they're a lot more fun than I thought they'd be.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

PostNouveau posted:

Got my highest daily finish out of like a dozen in the top 125. Finished the Lost run with all 9 lives :cool:

I do appreciate the Dedication achievement forcing me to play dailies. I likely wouldn't have otherwise, but they're a lot more fun than I thought they'd be.

I did terribly today; wasted a bunch of time getting like 90% through the boss rush before losing a life and not getting the bonus. Also, gently caress doing the boss rush when you have Compound Fracture. Screen ends up looking like static, makes it incredibly hard to see everything.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

DontMockMySmock posted:

I did terribly today; wasted a bunch of time getting like 90% through the boss rush before losing a life and not getting the bonus. Also, gently caress doing the boss rush when you have Compound Fracture. Screen ends up looking like static, makes it incredibly hard to see everything.

Yeah I'm way too cautious to make a boss rush with the Lost, even with 9 Lives.

I also forgot that you need to pick the Negative after the Mom fight if you intend to go past the trophy with the Shovel. I might have cracked top 100 if I'd beaten the Dark Room.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Apr 18, 2019

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
played like 10 isaac runs rerolling every angel room trying to get delirious before finally getting fed up and holding R with eden

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Been a while since I had a run go completely nuclear like this. Tractor Beam in the first treasure room, and a Joker card dropped in Basement I, which got me Coal from Krampus. Right off the bat felt like I was doing kind of a sniper rifle gimmick. I thought I'd hosed myself over in Depths I because I picked up Marked, which I mistook for some kind of cool devil item. I find it cumbersome to use under normal circumstances, and Tractor Beam makes it so that you autofire in four directions based on the position of the target instead of actually at the target itself. I don't think I got another secret room for the rest of the run as I kept pathetically shooting all my bombs away from the walls I was trying to bomb. No matter.

I managed to reroll some poo poo treasure room item in Depths II into Mom's Contact, and spent a bunch of coins on a fortune teller machine trying to get Cancer or something. "Or something" ended up being Rainbow Worm, which... is even better? Also at some point I also ended up with Holy Light, and double-charged Prayer Card—it is very satisfying to max out your life as Judas. I ended up being too slow for Boss Rush, but I was too powerful for anything after this point to stand a chance against me. I blazed through the Womb so quickly that I made it to Hush, who only managed to hit me once right near the very end of the fight. Isaac went down in <5 seconds. ??? took slightly longer. This was my first Chest clear on this save so I didn't have the angels unlocked yet, or I'd have gotten Mega Satan too.

that ivy guy posted:

Number One is great as Lilith since the incubus ignores range and shot speed downgrades (and upgrades...). Free tears up with no drawbacks

My #1 favorite Lilith thing so far is that Cursed Eye is legitimately one of the best things she can pick up. It makes her Incubus fire rapid bursts of tears, and there's no drawback as she's not charging it.

Also Box of Friends is amazing, and I unlocked it very early on, so it's shown up in the shop rather frequently. A lot of my best runs with other characters end up feeling like great Lilith runs.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Apr 19, 2019

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT

PostNouveau posted:

Has the swag bonus been nerfed yet? Nicalis said they'd get rid of it some months ago and I've been waiting for that to happen before jumping back in to dailies.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

ArfJason posted:

played like 10 isaac runs rerolling every angel room trying to get delirious before finally getting fed up and holding R with eden
I ended up breaking the game and spending like half an hour rerolling for every item in the game for mine. Ready for the new expansion and Ultra Delirium.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!

ArfJason posted:

2 more save files to go!

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

I regret using the phrase "going nuclear" to refer to any build I've had prior to this one. It's missingno + every item I could get my hands on, so I can only guess what it is. What you are seeing in these screens is a single charged shot, which took longer to charge than anything else I have ever used, and the shot persisted even longer than it took to charge. On the previous floor it was a relatively comprehensible brimstone laser accompanied by a giant flurry of knives.

Rather fitting for my first time beating Delirium too. I think I even saw him once or twice during the fight.

Edit: This was also a run where I picked up Cancer in Basement 1, and—as far as I could tell—it wasn't useful for the entirety of it. :psyduck:

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Apr 22, 2019

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Wugga posted:

Has the swag bonus been nerfed yet? Nicalis said they'd get rid of it some months ago and I've been waiting for that to happen before jumping back in to dailies.

I don't know what that is

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

you know dude

nerf the swag

the swag need to be nerfed

nerfswagger

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I thought taking items reduced your score?

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

Wugga posted:

No, and all the hardcore daily nerds in the discord are up in arms over how their manifesto hasn't been implemented yet. To be fair, Tyrone did say he would do it way back a few months ago when they sent it in.

They all complain about game breaking yet continue to do it. I just try for good, thorough gameplay and still often get top 30

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
You like to do mens asses good and thoroughly motherfucker stop getting top 30 in dailies its ruining my flawless friend leaderboards with only 3 ppl in them

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

PostNouveau posted:

I thought taking items reduced your score?

Picking up pedestal items reduces your score. Picking up consumables (keys, coins, bombs, etc.) increases your score. Therefore the "best" way to get a really high score includes looking for any way you can start duplicating consumables, which is really boring.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
I just got 271st today and I think that might be the best I've ever done.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

senrath posted:

Picking up pedestal items reduces your score. Picking up consumables (keys, coins, bombs, etc.) increases your score. Therefore the "best" way to get a really high score includes looking for any way you can start duplicating consumables, which is really boring.

Ohhhh, yeah that's dumb as hell.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT

that ivy guy posted:

No, and all the hardcore daily nerds in the discord are up in arms over how their manifesto hasn't been implemented yet. To be fair, Tyrone did say he would do it way back a few months ago when they sent it in.

They all complain about game breaking yet continue to do it. I just try for good, thorough gameplay and still often get top 30

That's a bummer. I haven't touched the game for a while and quit doing dailies because of that myself. I guess I'll settle for my 54 first places for now.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

I found it rather delightful that the possible babies you get with Buddy in a Box include a hot dog and Garfield.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Rollersnake posted:

I found it rather delightful that the possible babies you get with Buddy in a Box include a hot dog and Garfield.

https://bindingofisaacrebirth.gamepedia.com/Co-op

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

A little annoying that dedication is the displayed one instead of just stop.

No you can't see how many hours it took.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
I'm around 58% now. What's going to be the hardest challenge the game has in store for me? Hard mode Hush with The Lost and Keeper? Something worse I haven't considered yet?

Edit: Actually, going by my experience so far, it's easier to get to Hush in time on a hard mode run than it is to get to Boss Rush.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 13:46 on May 5, 2019

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Rollersnake posted:

I'm around 58% now. What's going to be the hardest challenge the game has in store for me? Hard mode Hush with The Lost and Keeper? Something worse I haven't considered yet?

Edit: Actually, going by my experience so far, it's easier to get to Hush in time on a hard mode run than it is to get to Boss Rush.

Greedier Lost/Keeper.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
I picked up Cursed Eye during an unknown curse and hosed up a good run. The drat random teleport hosed me over getting teleported unpteen times and losing a few hearts each time. I just didn't have enough health at the end to take the chest map (yeah yeah git gud and don't get hit).

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

ItBreathes posted:

Greedier Lost/Keeper.
Keeper gets bonus money and a massive amount of effective HP in Greedier Mode, so it's not too bad. Lost is harder but you at least get a bunch of devil deals and can stop the waves at any point you feel in danger for free.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
I've been having a hell of a time with The Forgotten in greed mode, of all things, and it's the waves rather than the bosses that are giving me the most trouble. I should probably be using the soul form more than I am, as even despite the tether I'm less likely to get hit than when I'm trying to use the club.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Rollersnake posted:

It's hard to say. I'm not great at it, so most of the really hard achievements I managed with completely OP runs. My biggest recommendation would be to go look up ways to break the game so you know when you're presented opportunities.

Probably Lost Delerium. You can get some items/trinkets (that are usually total poo poo) that work great for Keeper and spit out coins when you get hit. Plus the Delerium room often has pots in it that you can bomb early in the fight to seed the room with coins.

With the Lost though, there's no way to recover your shield; you just can't get hit twice. And Delerium does really fast Mom foot stomps when it gets close to dying.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
Gnawed Leaf + thing that can damage whatever you're fighting with no input is still unbeatable by anything, right? And it's just a matter of waiting it out.

I've actually gotten hard mode Hush and Delirium clears with Apollyon and Azazel already. In both cases, I was just going for hard mode Mom's Heart and things turned out better than expected. I didn't even find Brimstone on that Azazel run, and I'm amazed I managed to pull that off.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Rollersnake posted:

Gnawed Leaf + thing that can damage whatever you're fighting with no input is still unbeatable by anything, right? And it's just a matter of waiting it out.

Doesn't work against the bone-throwing skeletons because they'll sit back and toss bones and never come close enough to get hit by your orbitals. But it works against almost everything.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

LifeLynx posted:

Doesn't work against the bone-throwing skeletons because they'll sit back and toss bones and never come close enough to get hit by your orbitals. But it works against almost everything.

Unless you've picked up Daddy Longlegs or Succubus. Or lil Haunt if you're not in a hurry.

Gnawed Leaf + cube of meat/another orbital accounts for like 50% of my ultra greed kills at this point, he just charges right in to you constantly.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Keeper gets bonus money and a massive amount of effective HP in Greedier Mode, so it's not too bad. Lost is harder but you at least get a bunch of devil deals and can stop the waves at any point you feel in danger for free.

It's fine until you get to Ultra Greed, but Ultra Greed is just a slog.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Rollersnake posted:

Bb bI'm around 58% now. What's going to be the hardest challenge the game has in store for me? Hard mode Hush with The Lost and Keeper? Something worse I haven't considered yet?

Yeah Hush is easier to get to but more of a pain to fight IMO. With The Lost you basically need a chaos card unless you’re good enough with his patterns to kill him with a strong build.

Greed/Ultra Greed is the only other boss with super armor or whatever it’s called. In my experience the hardest part of Greed/Greedier is the first floor and my method for The Lost is to just restart until you manage to get something good before you start the first wave. Greed mode can be broken open so many ways that it really only takes a little persistence for those hard marks. Host Hat and the like make the boss a joke.

I’ve lost track of how many save files I’ve completed and the hardest thing for me every time is Ultra Hard. There’s just way too much stacked against you and too drat many rooms.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I can often no-hit Hush now that I've learnt its patterns, it's a difficult but completely fair fight. The biggest thing to know is that you can just stay still during the Continuum attack and it won't hit you.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
I think my favorite part of this game is the synergies and just how bat-poo poo crazy it can break the game.

I just had a greed run with Monstro's Lung + Sprinkler + the tear affect that makes your tears into billiard balls. Add in a bunch of tears up and damage ups and a charge baby and it was just stupidly broken. One sprinkler was enough to clear a floor, but by the end you'd have three or four running and poo poo just died as soon as it spawned.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
I don't think I've gotten the Sprinkler in any run where I had anything interesting going on with my tears, so I had no idea it was good, like, at all. I've rerolled it when it's showed up on more than one occasion.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
So on the Afterbirth+ steam page it says the game supports co-op & local co-op.

Did they actually add multiplayer support through steam? When I try searching for information all I can find is just third party mods that hack it in or convoluted setups that with himachi or other virtual lans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Vakal posted:

So on the Afterbirth+ steam page it says the game supports co-op & local co-op.

Did they actually add multiplayer support through steam? When I try searching for information all I can find is just third party mods that hack it in or convoluted setups that with himachi or other virtual lans.

Local only, and they just spawn in as a coop baby.