Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

if frankfurt blew up very little of value would be lost

Especially the airport. gently caress that place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Phanatic posted:

the airport is either great (because you are leaving frankfurt!) or terrible (because you are going to frankfurt)

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

or terrible (because you are going to frankfurt

or connecting through Frankfurt)

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

zoux posted:

This site is reporting that production on the third HBO WWII series The Mighty Eighth about the air campaign over Europe is finally beginning production, and that HBO is going to spend $500m on it. Folks, I'm unbelievably hype.

I actually just watched Band of Brothers and The Pacific through Amazon Prime so I am ready for this.

Also, watching the Pacific has led me into the rabbit hole of reading Robert Leckie's histories of WWII in the pacific. FYI, Robert Leckie is one of the people the camera follows through the war (Lucky Leckie) and his histories were a large part of the basis for The Pacific.

Really, if you haven't read "Helmet for My Pillow" you really should. It's a very well told, privates eye view of the Guadalcanal campaign.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

were those the ones where the officers could speak the same language as the enlisted or nah

trick question none of the army corps had enlisted that could speak the same language as their officers

Wir hatten die 250 Commando-woerte auf Deutsch, das ist alle das man braucht, ja?

edit: es functionirte fuer das 2tes Reich in Afrika!

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Aug 31, 2017

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Murgos posted:

I actually just watched Band of Brothers and The Pacific through Amazon Prime so I am ready for this.

Also, watching the Pacific has led me into the rabbit hole of reading Robert Leckie's histories of WWII in the pacific. FYI, Robert Leckie is one of the people the camera follows through the war (Lucky Leckie) and his histories were a large part of the basis for The Pacific.

Really, if you haven't read "Helmet for My Pillow" you really should. It's a very well told, privates eye view of the Guadalcanal campaign.

Didn't they tone down his exploits during Guadalcanal in the show since nobody would believe it otherwise? Both are great shows and I assume everyone in this thread has seen them but if not, highly recommended.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
Here's something to piss off HEY GAL.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Mycroft Holmes posted:

Here's something to piss off HEY GAL.

the one on the right is by a not-non-famous spanish guy

what the hell is the one on the left

edit: that musketeer would drop hot match ash AND the usual black powder ember bullshit all over himself. And those pikemen are hopelessly underarmored. What hte feck

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Aug 31, 2017

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

HEY GAIL posted:

It's anime.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

oh no

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

HEY GAIL posted:

edit: that musketeer would drop hot match ash AND the usual black powder ember bullshit all over himself. And those pikemen are hopelessly underarmored. What hte feck

Are you trying the hot young pikewomen didn`t expose their garters like that

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
it looks like western trash to me

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Nebakenezzer posted:

Are you trying the hot young pikewomen didn`t expose their garters like that
i am aware of at least one pikewoman in history

leaning "no"

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

HEY GAIL posted:

i am aware of at least one pikewoman in history

leaning "no"

Was there something about the time that made everyone look like they had cauliflower face?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

OwlFancier posted:

Was there something about the time that made everyone look like they had cauliflower face?

I guess living in a harsh time period.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

OwlFancier posted:

you may look like this when you're middle aged, don't judge

also the lighting is off to one side

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Hunt11 posted:

and the 1630s had fugly loving haircuts, nobody looks good in that

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Hunt11 posted:

But like, 30% nose.

How much nose does one human need?

Also if my family is anything to go by I am going to age well albeit lose my hair colour in the next ten years.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Aug 31, 2017

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

OwlFancier posted:

But like, 30% nose.

How much nose does one human need?
have you met people from the med, like italy and spain

beaks

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Technically, it is anime-styled internet art. It isn't from a show or movie, just some DeviantArt guy's musings.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Phanatic posted:

I.. had forgotten my time there :vomarine:

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Gnoman posted:

Technically, it is anime-styled internet art. It isn't from a show or movie, just some DeviantArt guy's musings.

It was all pretty ridiculous, all cheesecake-styled drawings of scantily clad women with vague 30YW trappings. This one was mildly amusing though:

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Kopijeger posted:

It was all pretty ridiculous, all cheesecake-styled drawings of scantily clad women with vague 30YW trappings. This one was mildly amusing though:

In a few centuries, that is what the average person will think of when you bring up the middle ages.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Kopijeger posted:

Blue is not doing so hot if Red has towers near his TC, but it's not like that's surprising if the drat newb still has unharvested sheep at this stage of the game. The real mystery here is how the crap did he get to Imperial with this kind of basic mistakes.

Then again, it's a scenario editor game.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks
For rare tank aficionados, a couple of pictures about a Finnish local upgraded version of the T-72. Never actually adopted by the FDF.

https://imgur.com/a/RARgo

This particular specimen was a reactive armor testbed.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Don Gato posted:

In a few centuries, that is what the average person will think of when you bring up the middle ages.

statim
Sep 5, 2003

Tevery Best posted:

Blue is not doing so hot if Red has towers near his TC, but it's not like that's surprising if the drat newb still has unharvested sheep at this stage of the game. The real mystery here is how the crap did he get to Imperial with this kind of basic mistakes.

Then again, it's a scenario editor game.

I understood all of that and I am ...kinda proud.

MisterBear
Aug 16, 2013

statim posted:

I understood all of that and I am ...kinda proud.

Is it something you can translate for us common folk?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
It's a Age of Empires/generic farm resource reference from a RTS game.

Oh god new AoE, please do 19th/20th century please!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

AoE III was boss because napoleonics

sure none of it actually worked like napoleonic poo poo would work but that's ok

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I loved AoE III too, it did some cool things (like the pre 18th centry English accent that sadly didn't change with the times and got a bit weird for me) so I do hope they are going to be just as experimental with the formula.

Also, who didn't use the Washington Bust Of Doom cheat when they got bored of the single player?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
I really shouldn't sit on finished material for so long "just in case". I wrote an article for Warspot on Valentine VI and VII production and left it as a draft just in case I find something else interesting to add... And Pasholok announced he's doing one on the same thing by the end of the month.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I forgot to post this yesterday.

https://twitter.com/johnorloff/status/889593735306203136

Look at all those cool books. I want that How To Ditch a B-17 poster. Did many bombers have to ditch in the channel?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Kopijeger posted:

I love this so much. Blue wins automatically though. Nobody can defeat the viper!

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I thought the whosyourdaddy cheat didn't work in AOE2.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I love this so much. Blue wins automatically though. Nobody can defeat the viper!

But the viper should be in Yellow...

E: vvv lol nice

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Aug 31, 2017

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Jobbo_Fett posted:

It's a Cobra, come on.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Hunt11 posted:

I thought the whosyourdaddy cheat didn't work in AOE2.
It was howdoiturnthison in AoE2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It's a Cobra, come on.

I could never get my helicopters straight.