Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

It still stuns me that anyone stands by Trump when stories like this come out. I mean, they're evil but they aren't stupid, they must know that Trump will turn on them the instant he doesn't personally profit from their presence. So what's their end-game? Pre-emptively backstab the backstabber? Grab your slightly smaller piece of the pie and disappear? Why not both?

It's been his MO for years. Despite his horrible reputation there's always a conga line of hangers-on willing to prostrate themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Burning_Monk posted:

Taco John's Potato Oles were better.

I don't live near a TJ's anymore but do they not have potato olés?

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Duke Igthorn posted:

Which means for all the failure stories we've heard there's got to be a few success stories we haven't heard about right? Like cold calling or Nigerian emails: they wouldn't be doing that if it didn't work every once in awhile. Somewhere out there is a single millionaire living on a beach after been in a Trump scam while a thousand wannabes look on drooling.

I imagine any Donald Trump Friend success stories would just be lies told by Donald Trump. It’s more like
The tale of Icarus, if after Icarus was burned alive by the sun some idiot picked up his wings and said “Surely I can do it right!”

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

the US rotting from the inside after a triumphant cold war victory while China waits, patiently plotting its revenge when it can point to the US and say "hey we're bad but we're not flailing dumbasses unable to stop kicking themselves in the dick", is a great through line imo

my favorite part so far though is definitely is the antagonist from the last series actually convinced the hero meant well lol

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

It still stuns me that anyone stands by Trump when stories like this come out. I mean, they're evil but they aren't stupid, they must know that Trump will turn on them the instant he doesn't personally profit from their presence. So what's their end-game? Pre-emptively backstab the backstabber? Grab your slightly smaller piece of the pie and disappear? Why not both?

Same reason people play reality TV gameshows when they know the odds are that they'll lose badly and be embarassed in the process. Trump is running his white house like a reality show, and his staff are his contestants. Don't ask them what the prize is, they don't know.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Grassy Knowles posted:

I don't live near a TJ's anymore but do they not have potato olés?

They still have them, bad phrasing on my part. Taco Bell doesn't have the mexi-fries anymore.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Same reason people play reality TV gameshows when they know the odds are that they'll lose badly and be embarassed in the process. Trump is running his white house like a reality show, and his staff are his contestants. Don't ask them what the prize is, they don't know.

An excellent New Yorker piece on just this.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017/07/31/the-tv-that-created-donald-trump

quote:

Wearing a striped tie that rhymed with the flag behind him, Trump sat at a massive table, smiling. “Mike?” Trump said, and Vice-President Pence took the cue. “Thank you, Mr. President. It is the greatest privilege of my life to serve as Vice-President to a President who is keeping his word to the American people.” As cameras clicked like cicadas, each appointee offered up an homage; Reince Priebus, the White House chief of staff, thanked Trump for the “opportunity and the blessing that you’ve given us to serve your agenda.”

:worship::worship::worship::worship::worship::worship::worship::worship::worship::worship: :smug:

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

His whole thing is just to assert with absolute confidence and sincerity that he always wins and never loses, and to never show any doubt, fear, or shame. Turns out if you just never outwardly appear to even consider that you've done anything wrong, like 20% of people will think that maybe you never have, and that's all it takes to win a federal election in the states.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

pkay posted:

Well he is the president and he's not in jail(yet). Sooo....

:frogon:

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

We have this local 24hr texmex fast food chain called Los Betos for 2am food.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Oh and the people around him are utterly debased moral cowards that are afraid of conflict and prize their selfish, conceited, narrow goals over their pride or principle. They'll gladly publicly lick the bottoms of his shoes just as long as it means they can kill some narrow regulation that prevents financial regulators from investing all your money in bitcoins or whatever other depraved poo poo they think about when they're alone at night

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

DrNutt posted:

I don't think I can trust someone whose reaction to deep fried tater tots with taco seasoning is to barf.

When I crave Mexican food I want something like a pork tamale or pollo fundido. I'm probably spoiled though on that front having been raised in the Phoenix area. The idea of going to a Mexican fast food joint and eating tater tots with taco seasoning makes me feel very sad.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

You know what surprised me about The Wall. That of all the lies Trump told. The promise of The Wall is something he intends to keep.

Of all things. I was 100% sure that The Wall was bullshit during the campaign to get southern racist votes.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Chadderbox posted:

When I crave Mexican food I want something like a pork tamale or pollo fundido. I'm probably spoiled though on that front having been raised in the Phoenix area. The idea of going to a Mexican fast food joint and eating tater tots with taco seasoning makes me feel very sad.

This is kind of a dumb derail but it's possibly for people to like both authentically good and trashy good things. Don't fret, I am plenty versed in actual good food and am not some goon who subsists entirely on fast food and soda, like our dear leader.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

DrNutt posted:

This is kind of a dumb derail but it's possibly for people to like both authentically good and trashy good things. Don't fret, I am plenty versed in actual good food and am not some goon who subsists entirely on fast food and soda, like our dear leader.

I still can't tell if you're talking about Trump or Lowtax here.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

DrNutt posted:

If I came across as condescending I apologize. I moved from Phoenix to Seattle about a year ago and have been missing the ubiquitous and tasty Mexican food. There's some decent stuff up here, more than I expected in fact, but every time my cousin wants to go to Taco Time to get Mexi-fries I legitimately have a :barf: moment and feel sad.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

alot of them have already sold him out already or are about too. Rodger stone probably already has and is already trying to save himself.

yep. they are all either broke brained lickspittles or craven opportunists. hyperbole but his staff really does remind me of hitlers. its a bunch of weird broken idiots and assholes who all hate each other.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

maybe power. there is no real win here. at best the stick around long enough to survive post trump and get some cushy pundent job.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Katt posted:

You know what surprised me about The Wall. That of all the lies Trump told. The promise of The Wall is something he intends to keep.

Of all things. I was 100% sure that The Wall was bullshit during the campaign to get southern racist votes.

the wall is the easiest promise to fulfill because a wall already exists. all trump has to do is rebuild a few miles of it taller and declare the whole thing done. anyone swayed by promises of the wall is already so ignorant as to the us-mexico border, how it works, and how to cross it that they would have no basis whatsoever to question The Wall's new form

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Katt posted:

He is absolutely the kind of man that would bankrupt an entire country just to have something physical that he can put a plaque with his name on.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

empty whippet box posted:

I'm the angry old man weirdly bragging about being alone on christmas because he's so obnoxious about his MAGA-ing

lmao we are truly the dumbest possible species

I think we started to slide on a slow road to poo poo the minute we turned to Facebook for news and away form traditional sources.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

RevKrule posted:

He is absolutely the kind of man that would bankrupt an entire country just to have something physical that he can put a plaque with his name on.

this he is like every other dickhead with a inflated ego, he wants some giant thing that will survive him.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

DrNutt posted:

I love the complex levels of taco snobbery. Like Americans one upping each other to look down on poor people food tacos and only eating fancy exclusive authentic artisanal tacos but then if you go to the authentic country that tacos come from they are back to being the slob food for poor slubs on the fancy level of a hot pocket or something.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Early on I think the DC crowd thought that they were smart enough to control Trump (or at least use him to their end) but they were just playing easy mode where everyone gave a poo poo about appearances. It turns out that I think few of them were the smart political masterminds they believed they were.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe
Now I'm hungry for tamales and I don't have any masa. And it's ten degrees outside, so I'm not goona go get any. You dicks. :argh:

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I love the complex levels of taco snobbery. Like Americans one upping each other to look down on poor people food tacos and only eating fancy exclusive authentic artisanal tacos but then if you go to the authentic country that tacos come from they are back to being the slob food for poor slubs on the fancy level of a hot pocket or something.

If you think Filiberto's is fancy, exclusive or artisanal you've clearly never eaten there. It's not like street food from Mexico, it is street food from Mexico.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Mustached Demon posted:

We have this local 24hr texmex fast food chain called Los Betos for 2am food.
Dude: If you ever decide to vacation in Monterrey México, don't ever hesitate to hit me up. We need to hook you up with some goddamn Mole Poblano, some Gringas, a Zacahuil (basically imagine the foulest-looking but tastiest tamale, amplify it by 10 and you're in the neighborhood of how tasty Zacahuil is), Enchiladas Suizas. And that's just what's nearby!

Near from where my mother lives, there's a taco stand that sells a TrompoBurger. Once you taste a TrompoBurger, you'll have a hard time going back to regular burgers. Your call, Mustached. :)

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Chadderbox posted:

If you think Filiberto's is fancy, exclusive or artisanal you've clearly never eaten there. It's not like street food from Mexico, it is street food from Mexico.

Yeah it's almost like the scale from "trashy" to "good" is largely based on classism and makes no sense if you look at it in the abstract or cross culturally.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

i too love huffing a can of spray duster before posting

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I'd hope that China doesn't become the next superpower, their authoritarianism has gotten so much worse lately. Did you see the auto-id cameras they've started using? It's like some bad dystopian film.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Yeah it's almost like the scale from "trashy" to "good" is largely based on classism and makes no sense if you look at it in the abstract or cross culturally.

Or it's possible that people have tastebuds and stomachs? If I eat something that's bad for me, it's really more a physical reaction than a cultural one

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I put mayo and ketchup in a plain tortilla and eat it

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Crow Jane posted:

Or it's possible that people have tastebuds and stomachs? If I eat something that's bad for me, it's really more a physical reaction than a cultural one

Do the people that live in mexico that look down on tacos as street food for poor people not have a stomach now?

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yep. they are all either broke brained lickspittles or craven opportunists. hyperbole but his staff really does remind me of hitlers. its a bunch of weird broken idiots and assholes who all hate each other.

Not really hyperbole at all. Go and watch one of the (multiple) videos there are of his little praise pow-wows. It's chilling, for me at least, to see modern adult humans crawl up to the powerful ruler(hyperbole) and thank him for allowing them to serve him.(actually happened.)

KickerOfMice fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Dec 28, 2017

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Dude, 'trashy' Mexican food rules. I started living in Monterrey a little over 17 years now and I NEVER stop discovering awesome places to get food. I love that.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Wark Say posted:

Dude, 'trashy' Mexican food rules. I started living in Monterrey a little over 17 years now and I NEVER stop discovering awesome places to get food. I love that.

Yeah, tons of street food from everywhere is the best, lots of fancy expensive food is the best, the weird classist rules people have about what food is okay to say it's good and what is bad is really stupid and falls apart the most when you go country to country where the same exact identical food is "cultured" in one place and "trashy" in another.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Street food rules all over the world. But there's a massive difference between street food made of actual ingredients and something like Taco Bell. Calling Taco Bell trashy isn't calling tacos in general trashy, it's calling Taco Bell trashy. Which it is, but I'll still eat it on a road trip or something.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

Wark Say posted:

Victual alchemy is my trade, and as a culinarily erudite professional, I can surely assert that: there is no such thing as trashy food, only snobby diners. :colbert:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

KickerOfMice posted:

Not really hyperbole at all. Go and watch one of the (multiple) videos there are of his little praise pow-wows. It's chilling, for me at least, to see modern adult humans crawl up to the powerful ruler(hyperbole) and thank him for allowing them to serve him.(actually happened.)

yeah, that poo poo is scary but honestly more pathetic and sad and so loving hollow and insincere. he is a loving child.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Yeah, tons of street food from everywhere is the best, lots of fancy expensive food is the best, the weird classist rules people have about what food is okay to say it's good and what is bad is really stupid and falls apart the most when you go country to country where the same exact identical food is "cultured" in one place and "trashy" in another.

I just want to be clear, are you defending seasoned tater tots from Taco Bell? Being saddened by the very concept is somehow elitist? I feel like you're trying to shoehorn a particular type of argument into what the thread has to offer today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Crow Jane posted:

Street food rules all over the world. But there's a massive difference between street food made of actual ingredients and something like Taco Bell. Calling Taco Bell trashy isn't calling tacos in general trashy, it's calling Taco Bell trashy. Which it is, but I'll still eat it on a road trip or something.

I don't really want to rope myself into specifically defending specifically taco bell but it's super obvious that whatever food is the "lowest class" has the same rumors of being somehow un-food made of cats or whatever.

• Locked thread