Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

less laughter posted:

Your ire is baseless, since Luigi's Mansion 2 is not part of the Nintendo Selects lineup.

Figures, I guess I just saw a couple of lists of titles people wanted to be selects and took it to mean that it was. Either way, there are a bunch of first party titles that are still the price they were when the games released two, three, or four years ago. It's just annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
bah weep granna weep ninny bong

Rexroom posted:

Errr, I'm playing the demo and there's a quicksave that allows me to save anywhere in the map. (X+R) Did you read the manual?

It's been a while so I might be misremembering but aren't those just saves that let you turn off your system and resume from that point but don't persist beyond that?

Edit: Haha. Well poo poo. That's what I get for reading an article and not the manual. The article I read back then said there was no saving outside town but has since been corrected. I should have just looked more closely.

DisposableHero fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Feb 5, 2016

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
Yeah I think that save was more of a suspend feature. The only way to save is talking to the fat chirpy cat thing in the inn at town.

Edit: Wait really? I mean, that probably won't change my opinion of the game at all, but that's nice

I do remember accidentally taking screenshot all the time though, I think it was hitting both bumpers

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Cartoon Man posted:

I remember getting Final Fantasy Legend on gameboy. That was really Saga 1, wasn't it? Game was hard as poo poo, my 8 year old self could never figure it out, but I came back to it when I was older and loved it. Biggest gripe I had with it was the weapons. You get a kick rear end sword and it has 300 swipes and then it breaks and that's it.

The chip tune gameboy music was so loving good though, god this takes me back.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHjWm1hEmn8&list=PLB0xooEkKbSZV5DW3lg05yzCk14uSGp7m&sns=em

Overworld theme makes me want to go on an adventure.
http://youtu.be/vogMDXK-3uQ?list=PLB0xooEkKbSZV5DW3lg05yzCk14uSGp7m

Oh, wow, the feels...

I remember making it up to some kind of creator guy in a top hat. I think that was the farthest I made it, but I think I was 10 years old. I never got quite as far in Legend 2.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Chinook posted:

some kind of creator guy in a top hat
Literally the last boss :v:

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Literally the last boss :v:

Yeah I figured. I just couldn't hack it. I'm sure I tried.. There was no gamefaqs in 1990 or whatever. :(

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

If I have the special edition of Fire Emblem Fates can I pay $40 to download one version and use the codes I assume it comes with to get the other two versions?

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Fritzler posted:

If I have the special edition of Fire Emblem Fates can I pay $40 to download one version and use the codes I assume it comes with to get the other two versions?

If I understand correctly it is a cart with all the games on it, so no.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
mis clicked reply

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

less laughter posted:

Your ire is baseless, since Luigi's Mansion 2 is not part of the Nintendo Selects lineup.

It is in Japan!

NOA already discounted a bunch of games a couple years afo, it just wasn't an explicit re-release. Mario 3D Land, NSMB2, Mario Kart, Animal Crossing, DKC Returns.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

homeless snail posted:

Not really. Its a SaGa game (and not a particularly great one), know what you're getting into.

should i get it if saga frontier was one of my favorite ps1 games but i never played any other ones

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Awesome! posted:

should i get it if saga frontier was one of my favorite ps1 games but i never played any other ones
SaGa Frontier 1 is my favorite SaGa game and I hated Legend of Legacy but YMMV

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Legend of Legacy has an authentic SaGa-esque battle system but all of the other stuff like the world, narrative, art style, etc can't hang with a real SaGa game. The article listed earlier described it as a dungeon crawler that happens to resemble a JRPG and I wouldn't disagree with that statement.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
is there a fix for the feet in fire emblem

Tipme
Oct 30, 2009
Hi. I'm a Chelsea fan since 2010. Please murder me with a piece of pipe. thanks.
I never played a SaGa game but I played the legend of legacy demo and saw that the more you use a skill, that skill's level goes up and immediately went "this is my poo poo.'

So maybe 40 hours in and I realized it wasn't what I expected. It's all random. This game was not my poo poo. I got stuck at one point in the story and put it down for 3 weeks also, but that's beside the point.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I gave up on that demo and the game when I found out you need to go back to the start of a dungeon to run away. Maybe you get some skill later to do it normally, but that's even worse to me.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

noirstronaut posted:

is there a fix for the feet in fire emblem

You can use your imagination to pretend they are all barefoot, like Corrin.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
even fi they are barefoot they have no feet

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

They have ankle hooves that they are clopping around on like gimped horse people

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

There's still no feet in Fates? God loving damnit. Whose idea was this in the first place?

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

enojy posted:

There's still no feet in Fates? God loving damnit. Whose idea was this in the first place?

There are feet in fates.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
People sure care about feet in video games.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Junpei Hyde posted:

There are feet in fates.

Oh OK thank god.

Rexroom posted:

People sure care about feet in video games.

The irony is, I hate feet. I'd cut mine own off if it were plausible. But when a video game's entire cast of human characters lack feet, it's something you just can't shake. Even Kirby has feet, and he's a giant marshmallow. Starlow has feet and doesn't even use them.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

enojy posted:

Please watch official trailers before running to the forums.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

enojy posted:

quote:

8-4: Speaking of doing something different, we have to ask a question a lot of the fans are wondering — what happened with the feet? (laughs)

Kusakihara: (Laughs) Well, they're there...they're just...omitted a little bit. The idea was to add a unique sort of deformation to the characters. As for why it ended up like this... At the start of the project, we weren't entirely sure how many bones and joints we'd be able to use in each character model. As it is now, there's a joint at the knees, and then there's nothing below that for the ankles and the feet. This makes it a bit easier to apply animation to models as well. We found out afterward that, with the 3DS, we had more than enough CPU strength available to flesh out the models a bit, add real ankles and so on. We were like "Well, if there's a next time, maybe there'll be more ankles..." (laughs)

We thought we could make it something that would work well with the characters, but now I'm not so sure. (laughs) So it's hard to give a real reason for it, but...well, I think it's kind of cute, though! (laughs) Isn't it? They look like they're wearing high heels. Aren't high heels the big fashion these days?

8-4: Did you get any feedback about this from Japanese players as well?

Kusakihara: Yeah, some people focused on the feet a lot. (laughs) I think if this was a game that involved people kicking and such, we would have put in real ankles. Instead, you're using handheld weapons for the most part, so we figured we could sort of omit some of the detail down there...

Yokota: We did get feedback about that in the playtesting sessions, but by that point it was like "Well, we can't do much about that now." (laughs)

Kusakihara: A lot of people seemed really preoccupied with the feet... Ah, well. (laughs)

http://fireemblem.nintendo.com/developer-interview/

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012
No feet = "CENSORSHIP!"

Hey, how was Codename STEAM? After playing the demo, my impression was "this could be fun!" and "this could get old, quick".

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

CowboyAndy posted:

No feet = "CENSORSHIP!"

Hey, how was Codename STEAM? After playing the demo, my impression was "this could be fun!" and "this could get old, quick".

It's bad.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I can't believe how legitimately angry some people seemed to get at the Awakening feet thing

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Help Im Alive posted:

I can't believe how legitimately angry some people seemed to get at the Awakening feet thing

Of course you can. The same folks who are angry that NoA removed groping from their tactical RPG.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Chinook posted:

Of course you can. The same folks who are angry that NoA removed groping from their tactical RPG.
If the MGS series is to be believed groping is the key element of everything tactical.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Chinook posted:

And the same folks who will be angry that Fates also doesn't include the Japanese voice acting (likely due to that special edition cartridge already being huge content wise)

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Chinook posted:

It was a silly thing but I'm not sure what was being "groped", the noses?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Some characters were shown from the waist up.

The minigame was actually supposed to be much, much more explicit. According to rumors, half of the Fire Emblem team wanted the touching thing in but to be much more risque while the other half didn't want it in at all. The silly petting thing was the compromise.

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012

Andrast posted:

It's bad.

Okay, I'll save my cash for conquest and birthright.

Who's playing what first? Me, I'll start easy with birthright and work up to conquest.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Somebody explain what I need to buy for FE Fates to get the full experience, is it two games and DLC or did they merge the two games into one?

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Louisgod posted:

Somebody explain what I need to buy for FE Fates to get the full experience, is it two games and DLC or did they merge the two games into one?
'
You either (a) buy a Special Edition or (b) buy either Birthright/Conquest and get the other one and the third campaign as DLC. The other "game" of the pair is discounted.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

It's basically like the Zelda Oracle games where you have two completely separate stories and gameplay philosophies. If you want to play all of Fates, buy either Birthright or Conquest and buy the other route DLC, along with the third Revelations campaign.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Mokinokaro posted:

And the same folks who will be angry that Fates also doesn't include the Japanese voice acting (likely due to that special edition cartridge already being huge content wise)

No, Japanese voice acting is 99% not there because of licensing issue. The Japanese voice union is incredibly strict on domestic contracts. That's why you have Crisis Core never on PSN because of Gackt's license cost, Dragon's Dogma not having Into Free, or a lot of the Tales Of games having only vocal versions of their openings.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
and yet the new Digimon Game has only japanese voices, guess the licensing was just way cheaper then hiring english VA's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The special edition is sold out in 99% of cases so if you like Awakening style with grinding and easier gameplay, get Birthright. If you want it without grinding and more linear and difficult style, get Conquest. If you can't make your mind up, choose your favourite anime character on the box I suppose.

Once you've finished one, buy the other as DLC when prompted and you will be able to get the third campaign in early March. The purchase new path/DLC is an option on the main menu too unless you own all three paths, which removes it.

You also get another 3 save slots per path owned, up to a total of 9.