Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Not disagreeing, but you've got it backwards. Accutane clears your skin and also can make you suicidal!

Like, here's the entire list of adverse effects from Wikipedia:

and yes that's 100 lines of fuckin text
Now, technically, any bad medical thing that happens to anyone in the trial phases has to be listed as a potential adverse effect, and it's often understood that the drug probably doesn't cause all of that but you don't want to take the risk.

That said, that's still a pretty long list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Danaru posted:

Accutane janked the hell of my brain for an entire grade of high school to the point that I nearly died, and in the end it didnt even clear up my drat face :mad: I'm still bitter

Yeah I mean I'm glad it worked clean for some of the posters here but it gave my brother chrons disease, which has negatively impacted his life far more than acne ever could.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Oh, did the FDA finally have enough with its absurd list of side effects? Because every story I've heard about that stuff makes it sound like it works but it has literally every side effect imaginable up to and including suicide.

My wife finished a round of Claravis recently, and she had to go take a pregnancy test at a lab every month, as well as making a written promise when that she would not, under any circumstances, get pregnant. Apparently if you do end up getting pregnant, they advise immediate abortion because it will turn out like something from Island of Dr. Moreau. She also experienced suicidal ideation at one point and luckily let me know in time to convince her to get her dosage lowered. She also incurred more injuries working out than usual because it decreases your body's ability to heal from wounds. She had a nagging wrist injury for 6 months that cleared up in one after she stopped taking it.

On the plus side, she is now free of her insanely painful acne. Like, "having to take painkillers" level of acne. Nothing else at all ever worked. I feel extremely sorry for anyone that goes through the side effects and has to do another round.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Paying taxes isn't charity it's a consequence of living in a society. It's the literal baseline. Charity is anything on top of that.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

my favorite is when people complain about paying school taxes when they don't have kids

motherfucker, YOU went to school did you not? if it makes you feel better, consider it paying off your own debt

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

hawowanlawow posted:

my favorite is when people complain about paying school taxes when they don't have kids

motherfucker, YOU went to school did you not? if it makes you feel better, consider it paying off your own debt
I'm sure some of those people went to private schools and think that justifies it, it's why I find it easier to just go 'yeah that's part of living in society.'

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

hawowanlawow posted:

I consider it paying to keep other people's kids off the streets all day. Worth it, imo

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
My childless, hard drinking uncle used to say "I can pay for it now in school taxes or I can pay for it later when they steal the stereo out of my car."

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

PetraCore posted:

Now, technically, any bad medical thing that happens to anyone in the trial phases has to be listed as a potential adverse effect, and it's often understood that the drug probably doesn't cause all of that but you don't want to take the risk.

That said, that's still a pretty long list.
Right, at least 30 of those 100 are probably onesies. But the others...

(congratulations to that one poster's wife for both getting past her painful acne and having someone in her life to help her through the drug-induced suicidal ideation, unironically that's a good place to be in :shobon:)

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

therobit posted:

My childless, hard drinking uncle used to say "I can pay for it now in school taxes or I can pay for it later when they steal the stereo out of my car."

Because paying the Danegeld always gets you rid of the Dane.

FormaldehydeSon
Oct 1, 2011

quote:

Should I [40F] report my niece [17F] to the police?

My parents are going away for Christmas, so before they did they hosted an early Christmas party at their home, which my whole family went to including me my husband and our 16 year old daughter Laura.

My sister and her daughter Rachel were there too. She's a year older than Laura and they don't get along. In fact we try to avoid them as much as we can due to amount of times that Rachel has upset and tormented Laura. Rachel is naturally very smart and is always top of her class, and is also very pretty. While I've always been happy for her and wished her the best, these things have constantly been used to excuse her. My sister even went as far as to accuse Laura of lying because she is jealous of Rachel's looks and talents.

Laura took up boxing last year and has progressed really well. She's going to compete at a higher level next year and her coach is extremely proud of her. My sister has insisted that the boxing is nothing more than ''a phase'' and has gone out of her way to downplay it in favour of her daughter's academic stuff.

At my parents place Laura went to sort out some presents under the tree, and Rachel followed her. She was wearing stiletto high heels, and when Laura had her hand on the floor Rachel stamped on it. She was in agony.

We went to the hospital, and after a follow up visit to the doctor today Laura needs extensive physio, and will not be able to box for an indefinite period. She's in floods of tears because of this.

I was raging at my sister, who is so deluded that she insists that it was an accident. I'm sorry, but after years of calling Laura ugly, stupid, fat and anything else she could think of do you really expect me to believe that this was an innocent mistake? Rachel for her part put on the crocodile tears for everyone, and only her parents believed it.

My husband wants to tell the police and I do too. I warned my sister about this, and she broke down crying too, saying that her daughter's teachers have encouraged her to apply to the top universities because they think she's got a good chance of getting in, and that if she ends up with a criminal record then that will be ruined.

No sympathy from me. Frankly Rachel took something that my daughter loves away from her and left her in huge amounts of pain. She shouldn't just have her chances ruined, she should get locked up.

I know it sounds awful of me but she did an awful thing and needs to face the consequences. Laura is utterly heartbroken and Rachels parents won't punish her.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Kuiperdolin posted:

Because paying the Danegeld always gets you rid of the Dane.
Strong libertarian energy

FormaldehydeSon
Oct 1, 2011

Wasn't gonna post this one but for some reason I couldn't help myself...

quote:

I (33M) don't know how much longer I can deal with my Fiance's (30F) friend's (35F) husband (35M).

Ok I will try to keep this short. I can normally get along with anyone and enjoy doing so but this guy just rubs me the wrong way. It started about 2 months ago. The fiance and I had moved earlier this year and are trying to make new friends in the area. This has us going to fun things like trivia nights, happy hours, and other fun social gatherings. At one point we met a lady (we can call her Jen) whose company my fiance really enjoyed. They talk like they have been best friends since they were in kindergarten. About 2 months ago my fiance and Jen decided that I needed to meet Jen's husband (who we will call John). Here is where things start going south, and yes I mean from the instant we met.

1) Dude shows up drunk as a skunk. We all decided to play pool. I am on John's team. The entire time I am playing, he tells me that whatever shot I am trying to make is the wrong one and then proceeds to point things out on the table while I am trying to line things up. This happens on EVERY shot I try and make. Eventually I tell him to let me shoot whatever shot I want, to which he replies that he is just trying to show me how I am making the wrong shot.

2)Following week, Fiance and I invite them over for dinner. Again, John shows up drunk and high this time. Proceeds to tell me all about how ( his life got twist turned up side down?) he works from home but really doesn't do much work. If he gets a call from his office he will ignore it, maybe go do some grocery shopping, maybe watch tv, then when he starts getting more urgent calls he might pick up and bitch them out by telling them "he's been sorting out important issues all day".

3)John wants to build a PC gaming rig and was looking for help. I say I would be happy to help and point him in the direction of pcpartpicker.com Told him to do a little research and put together something. NOPE...dude says its all to confusing, shows up at my house with his old desktop and says he wants to build based off of that. The thing is like 8 years old with a power supply that we mayyy be able to use. So I spend 2 hours putting together a decent but cheap build for him. The guy takes one look at the price tag and proceeds to poo poo on the build in anyway he can.

4) After settling the great pcbuilding debate of 2019, John ends up with a used computer off of Facebook marketplace. John then asks if I can put together some recommendations for a monitor for his new setup. Sure buddy, no problem. I spend about an hour scouring the web on cyber monday looking for a decent monitor at a great price but nothing too expensive ($100). I pass the list along. Jen tells me he ordered one but doesn't know which one. It arrives and it is none of the ones I recommended. He decided to go ultra cheap and found a used monitor for $35. He can't get it to work with his new computer and wants me to come help him figure out why.

4) The guy wants me to go into business with him selling weed...I straight up told him "Hell No"

5)The guy is now asking for cell phone recommendations. My view on cell phones is the opposite of computers, go as cheap as possible, its gonna be out dated in a year anyway. Why pay $400-$1200 for a phone that I will most likely have to replace in a year when I can pay $99? John then starts insulting my phone and listing off all the great stats about his phone (512gb storage vs my 16gb, 14gb of which are free).

I love my fiance dearly and do not wish her to be unhappy. Having a friend like Jen makes my fiance happy, heck I like Jen too, she's down to earth, extremely friendly, and is always greatful. John is lazy, ignorant, and generally just gets under my skin. I do not wish to see my Fiance unhappy by not hanging out with this couple anymore (they, like us, are a package deal most of the time) but I really can't take much more of John before I just let him know what I really think. Anyone have any ideas on how to deal with this guy to keep the fiance happy?

TL:DR-Fiance and I met a couple after moving to a new state. The girl is nice, her husband is...not my favorite person in the world and I feel has insulted me and been nothing but lazy the entire time I have known him. Fiance finally has a good friend, I can't stand this guy, but I have to keep interacting with him and I don't want to.

Edit: I should have added, my Fiance/Wife and I have already discussed this at great length. She completely understands my dislike as she is not that impressed by John either (I think she referred to him as a huge tool).

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

FormaldehydeSon posted:

Jesus, do people have to hang out as couples once they are married?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

If he stops going, John will inevitably make a move on his wife and blow up the friendship anyway

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

hawowanlawow posted:

but they went to school and come back up with logic like that, so clearly they're dumb as poo poo and the school wasn't worth it!

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

FormaldehydeSon posted:

After the 3rd or 4th time the person asks you for recommendations only poo poo on them, its okay to say, "Nah, I got nothing. I bet you can Google it, though!"

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RockyB posted:

Saw this and thought of you thread

Guy has spent over 500 hours playing a VR bar brawl simulator. 200 of them in the last month.

presented without much comment

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Tashilicious posted:

presented without much comment

Live the life of FightMan in VR form.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Drunkn Bar Fight is fun as gently caress. The premise is simple: walk into a bar, get wasted, and beat up everyone. Drinking beer makes you stronger and taller. You're basically starting fights then running to the bar to down as many bottles of liquor and beer as you can before the next guy tries to stop you.

Also if you punch a woman in the bar they play a booing audience sound track and everyone attacks you at the same time.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

I don't want to re-start the "wearing shoes in the house" derail, but seriously, why would you wear stilettos inside the house if not to hurt somebody?

Throw a shoe the book at Rachel

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

AITA for being upset about my presents

quote:

Now I know this looks bad already and tbh I think im the rear end in a top hat but Im too scared to talk about this with friends ,so here we go.

Ive been dating my SO for 3 years now, everything is going great but I think she has a bad habit of buying me gifts that are really just stuff she wants to do.

For my birthday she suprised me with a holiday to spain she had booked the hotel and I was soo excited but then she dropped on me that I had to pay for flights and arrange a trip to the airport. In the end I drove us down to stay with my family then left my car on the drive whilst family took us to the airport in the morning. I know its fair to 50/50 things in a relationship but she just dropped this on me and I had to go into my overdraft to pay for it as money was tight. The holiday was lovely but she wanted to spend all day at the beach while I wanted to explore the town. We did beaches in the day and explored in the evening which was nice and it was a lovely holiday.

Now this christmas she has told me she has arranged a spa day. She has taken me to spas before and ive enjoyed it and been grateful, however we are going with her mum as her mums a member of the spa and Im having to leave my family over christmas early to go.

I feel like such a ungrateful prick but I cant shake the thought that she just keeps doing what she wants to do and is palming it off as a gift for me. So AITA for thinking this ?

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

AITA for not agreeing to "move" Christmas because I have to work?

quote:

About a month ago, my family decided our Christmas plans. We are going to exchange and open presents with all the kids at our parents house on Christmas Eve and spend Christmas day with our individual families (my brother with his wife a kids at his house, etc...).

Because of this, I told my job I'd be willing to work the 26-31st. In response, my boss said I could make double overtime, since no one wants to work that time.

My brother (55) calls me (41) last night ask if we could move Christmas at my parents to Saturday the 29th. Apparently his wife scored some free tix to Disneyland and they're going on Christmas eve. His wife wants us to spend the whole day on Saturday the 29th cooking as a family, hanging out, and playing games. He said "we could take advantage of the after Christmas sales for presents" to try to sell it to me. I said "sorry I told my job I'd work. I'm more than happy to join you all around 6pm. But I can't do an all day family thing."

He blew up. He said I'm being selfish bc I care more about making money than family. I said I didn't mind it being moved, but he has to understand I already made plans because we were originally doing this on Christmas Eve and I've already asked for that day off. Since he's the one who's moving things around, he has to be flexible, not me. I'm 100% willing to do Christmas on Saturday, but just after my work is over. No, for him it's all all day family day or nothing. (Of course, if I end up not showing up I'll get poo poo from my parents.)

Of course he did not agree. He doesn't understand why I can't spend the whole day with the family and just not go to work. Or move the work day to Christmas Eve. My job actually decided not to be open that day bc everyone wanted it off. So I couldn't switch as he suggested. I keep trying to explain that other people at my job have already made plans to be off Saturday because I said I was going in, and I'm literally going to be the only one at work those days. He called me a spoiled brat and hung up.

Am I being the rear end in a top hat here? I don't mind celebrating later. But I do mind being expected to re-arrange my schedule because they want to go to Disneyland for free. I mind being painted as the bad guy because I have boundaries. I mind that we are both too drat old to be having this kind of issue in the first place.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

AITA for running over my neighbours plants?

quote:

Im a full time wheelchair user, and I am always coming across obstructions on foot paths. For instance, people parking in front of dropped kerbs, people leaving their bins in the middle of the pavement and people parking their cars taking up half the pavement. This means that I then have to go out of my way to find a way around the obstruction, often having to go on the road, which is obviously dangerous.

My neighbour has a 'ground covering' plant on either end of the footpath leading up to his house, and he doesn't often trim it back, so its always spreading onto the pavement. He also parks his car outside his house, again half on the road and half on the pavement, so I can't get through. His son does the same. For me to go around his car I would have to go in the middle of a very busy road, which would be very dangerous.

I have had numerous polite conversations with him, asking him to cut back the plants and park more responsibly but he never listens and the other day he responded with a really bad attitude and slammed the door on me. He says that he doesn't want to park entirely on the road incase his car gets damaged and that he can't cut the plants back at the moment because that would cause them to die. Stupid, crap excuses.

So, on my way back to my house I was very annoyed and rather than doing what I normally do, which is go on the road, I ran straight over the plant, crushing it. A few hours later my neighbour knocked on my door saying that I could have gone around the car and that I deliberately destroyed his plant, and that he wants me to pay for the damages.

AITA for not going onto the road and around the car, but going over the plant?

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

DemoneeHo posted:

NTA. gently caress the neighbor. He was given many, many chances to do something that any reasonable person should've done in the first place.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

DemoneeHo posted:

AITA for not agreeing to "move" Christmas because I have to work?

Brother is TA. I mean, taking your family to Disneyland during the Christmas Season? Even the Lincoln animatronic show has a 5 hour wait, and it doesn't get any better. He should at least save those tickets for after New Years, when you can actually get on Indiana Jones at noon and be done with some daylight hours left.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy
AITA for telling my friend she got an STD from sleeping around?

quote:

I was hanging out with a friend of mine and a group of her friends. We were all talking and having drinks, and the topic of dating comes up in conversation.

For some background information; I’ve only had one boyfriend (I’m 24) we dated for 4 years, and broke up about a year ago. I’m mostly a loner. I’m fine with being single right now and have no interest in dating at the moment. My friend knows this.

She starts lightly teasing me in front of her friends, pretty much calling me a spinster. She “dates” a lot. Every week she tells me about two or so guys that she’s slept with. This kind of started a pile on, where everyone was teasing me, and giving me unsolicited advice. I tried to placate it, but she kept bringing the conversation back to me and my (lack of) a sex life.

Eventually I got really heated, and just said “so is your crotch still burning or is that cleared up? What did they say about that? Was it guy 104 or 105 that gave it to you?”

Like three weeks ago she called me crying to take her to the clinic because she had painful itchy blisters on her groin, turned out to be herpes. I did it without judging her at the time.

She quickly stood up and left the table. I tried to follow her to apologize and she went off about me outing her to her friends. She was telling me how I was the only person she trusted, and she couldn’t believe I would act that way. I tried to remind her how she and her friends were dog piling me, and she said it was just jokes, I didn’t have to react that way.

We are obviously not speaking right now. Was what I did justifiable self defense? I know I probably wouldn’t have done it without liquid courage.

Edit:

I did ask her to stop, i was trying to keep things friendly.

I did not say that she had herpes. I said she had a burning crotch.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

you'd think that girl would have learned by now that when you play with fire, you get burned

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Transmogrifier posted:

AITA for telling my friend she got an STD from sleeping around?

Top replies are ESH on this, which is bullshit.

FormaldehydeSon
Oct 1, 2011

redditors are all little scaredy babies, anything other than just silently accepting verbal or physical abuse is considered just as bad as doling it out in the first place. Which is why we all come here in order to laugh at everyone involved.

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post
Remember the galaxy brain genius who gave his friend POA for "law school applications"?

Update: I gave my friend POA and now I want it back but he’s making it difficult

quote:

I was hanging out with my friend at a party this weekend where he was talking about his law school applications and I remembered [this post] (https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/avsgxi/i_gave_my_friend_poa_and_now_i_want_it_back_but/) and thought I should do an update.

About a week after my original post I talked with my friend and said I appreciated all his help but it was getting to be a hassle and I’d prefer to manage my own stuff from here on out. He was disappointed but understood.

All in all it was a mixed experience. There were some positives: he was more aggressive negotiating with the mechanic than I would have liked but in the end the mechanic knocked $200 off the bill. Also, I’ve come around to like the credit card he opened for me. I’m going to be able to use the points to get a free flight home next semester.

There were some negatives too. He discovered that two of the classes I needed to graduate were being offered at the near by community college this semester so he signed me up to try and save me some money. But when he requested that my current school send transcripts to the community college, that almost made me lose a scholarship with my actual school. I had to basically beg and plead with the financial aid office but in the end it all worked out. Also, that girl I liked who found out I’m on anti-depressants tried to cause some drama in our friend group about me. But I’m over it now.

People were pretty critical in the previous post and kept saying I was being scammed but that’s not at all what happened. He just needed some experience to put on his applications. Also, lots of people said this wouldn’t help with law schools but I’m not pre-law so I don’t know one way or another. I signed a letter of reference for him because I’m not going to stand in the way of his dreams and on the whole, he helped by being my power of attorney.

Hope he read that letter he signed reeeallly carefully.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

DemoneeHo posted:

AITA for being upset about my presents
For my birthday she suprised me with a holiday to spain she had booked the hotel and I was soo excited but then she dropped on me that I had to pay for flights and arrange a trip to the airport.
Surprising someone with an expectation that they drop hundreds (thousands?) of dollars on air travel is not a gift. Especially when the person clearly didn’t have the money to afford the trip in the first place given that they had to overdraw the account to go.

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Brother is TA. I mean, taking your family to Disneyland during the Christmas Season? Even the Lincoln animatronic show has a 5 hour wait, and it doesn't get any better. He should at least save those tickets for after New Years, when you can actually get on Indiana Jones at noon and be done with some daylight hours left.
Especially since they apparently live close enough to make it a day trip. Take a day off on a random Wednesday in January and enjoy being able to walk onto rides when the park is half empty.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

cumshitter posted:

Drunkn Bar Fight is fun as gently caress. The premise is simple: walk into a bar, get wasted, and beat up everyone. Drinking beer makes you stronger and taller. You're basically starting fights then running to the bar to down as many bottles of liquor and beer as you can before the next guy tries to stop you.

Also if you punch a woman in the bar they play a booing audience sound track and everyone attacks you at the same time.

In other words you also get drunk and hit on women.

Let's face it though. That's absolutely the "flip table button" of the game. No way people dont constantly trigger it.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

DemoneeHo posted:

If cutting plants away from traffic areas would kill them you've either gotten the wrong plants or planted them in the wrong places. When my parents moved into their home the landscaping was a mess -- it had been planted to look good for a "now" that was ten years previous, and things had just been cut to look pretty as they grew instead of healthy. Potentilla bushes hedge-trimmed into balls so thick that everything inside the top layer was dead. Some beautiful fir trees lining a path that had grown into each other and blocked the door. We had to pull most of them out, cut a lot of the rest down to the stump, and it took years for things to regrow.

2 penny bottle imp
Jun 11, 2008

I KNOW WHAT YOU DID LAST SCUMMER
Anyone post this one yet? Gives the goon who leased a new car despite a 20k down payment a run for his money.

quote:

r/personalfinance
Insurance
I bought a 2016 Nissan Rogue and wrecked it. I hadn’t switched my insurance yet. I was at fault in the wreck...so it will be paid out of pocket. The towing company told me that it’s totaled....but I’m taking it for an estimate tomorrow. I owe 23,000 on it..so don’t know what to do.
u/Ging3rBr3ad938h
My dad co-signed on the contract and I don’t want to hurt his credit. I had liability insurance on my old car, but canceled it the DAY BEFORE the accident. I decided I wanted to look for different quotes after progressive gave me a ridiculously high quote.
So I was in the process of getting quotes for insurance.

I know that I have to pay the 23 grand regardless, but I can’t afford another car and additional car payments.

But someone told me that it would be dumb to pay car payments on a car I don’t have even if I’m paying more than it’s worth....so I should just try and get it fixed.

Any advice?

EDIT: Nobody was injured.

my Liability insurance was 90 monthly, THEN without my knowledge progressive changed it to 275 monthly bc I never signed up for their snap shot program. I didn’t want to go with them for the new insurance. I have only been in one wreck. It was a fender bender. Someone rear ended me.

The car was 13,900. The 23 grand is with interest. I was planning on taking 500 a month (and upcoming tax money) to pay on principle over time to refinance and get the interest rate down. So I didn’t buy over my budget at the time.

I’m an early 20’s female. This was my first car purchase with a bank. Paperwork was rushed. Stuff was not explained to me. I didn’t do my homework.

I’m not looking for criticism. I’m aware I’m stupid and that I’m screwed for the next 20 years. I’m only looking for advice.

My dad is aware of all of this.

It comes out later that the car was worth 13.9k and the 26k amount includes the 20% interest annually over 5 years of payments. OP is asking in car repair subreddits on where to buy parts themselves to repair a completely totalled vehicle on the cheap.

2 penny bottle imp fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Dec 19, 2019

2 penny bottle imp
Jun 11, 2008

I KNOW WHAT YOU DID LAST SCUMMER

2 penny bottle imp posted:

Anyone post this one yet? Gives the goon who leased a new car despite a 20k down payment a run for his money.

It comes out later that the car was worth 13.9k and the 26k amount includes the 20% interest annually over 5 years of payments. OP is asking in car repair subreddits on where to buy parts themselves to repair a completely totalled vehicle on the cheap.

Oh and the 20% interest includes the fact that OPs dad co-signed the loan on the car.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
Reading this thread is fun, but it makes me angry.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

My (24F) boyfriend (25M) doesn’t think my body deserves compliments.

For some background: My boyfriend and I have been together for over a year. Like many women my age I have been dealing with a low self esteem due to a lowered metabolism and changing body. I also struggled with chronic illness for several years that made it difficult to work out and my doctors told me I shouldn’t. Despite this, I could tell working out was important to my boyfriend so I tried to go to the gym with him once or twice a week. I’ve even gone on runs with him. I am fortunate to have started some new medication and am feeling a lot better, but he and I haven’t gone to the gym in a while due to the holidays, lack of motivation, illness, etc.

Whenever I try to complain to my boyfriend about my self esteem his response is something along the lines of “yeah, then you need to work out” and is never positive and uplifting. He never tells me he likes my body. The other night I tried to tell him that I was struggling and he said we should start a strict diet, counting out calories and tracking our weight. While I am all for trying to lose weight, I explained to him that I was nervous to do those things because I was anorexic in high school and calories and weight loss were my triggers. He became really upset because we “have to do it the right way.”

I’d finally had enough and decided to call him out on his negative responses because they’re hurting my self esteem. He told me that it is important for him to have a girlfriend that is fit and will take part in that lifestyle with him. I asked how he doesn’t see how that response in itself was hurtful and he responded with “it’s not mean, it’s the truth.” He ended up crying the rest of the night for reasons he couldn’t figure out and I got to console him until we went to sleep. I left after he went to sleep because I didn’t want to see him in the morning.

The next morning he called and we fought. He told me that he has the fundamental belief that people don’t deserve compliments for things they don’t put effort into. Therefore, my body does not deserve any compliments. At this point I am livid and tell him that his responses and beliefs are hurtful, and I don’t understand why he’s okay with upsetting me as much as he is. I try to explain to him that it is normal for people to want compliments, especially from their S.O. He thinks I am an rear end in a top hat for shutting him down and putting value in a societal convention.

He is dead set on keeping his opinion and I am sick to my stomach that he feels this way about my body. He's typically sweet and I have no idea how to move forward from here. What should I do?

I think it’s important to mention that I am not obese, I am a size 6, 140 pounds. I could just stand to lose ten or so.

TL;DR when I complain to my boyfriend about my body he tells me to work out or diet, when I told him that his responses are hurting my self esteem and it would be nice to hear a compliment every once and a while he says he doesn't think my body deserves compliments.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Smirking_Serpent posted:

My (24F) boyfriend (25M) doesn’t think my body deserves compliments.

For some background: My boyfriend and I have been together for over a year. Like many women my age I have been dealing with a low self esteem due to a lowered metabolism and changing body. I also struggled with chronic illness for several years that made it difficult to work out and my doctors told me I shouldn’t. Despite this, I could tell working out was important to my boyfriend so I tried to go to the gym with him once or twice a week. I’ve even gone on runs with him. I am fortunate to have started some new medication and am feeling a lot better, but he and I haven’t gone to the gym in a while due to the holidays, lack of motivation, illness, etc.

Whenever I try to complain to my boyfriend about my self esteem his response is something along the lines of “yeah, then you need to work out” and is never positive and uplifting. He never tells me he likes my body. The other night I tried to tell him that I was struggling and he said we should start a strict diet, counting out calories and tracking our weight. While I am all for trying to lose weight, I explained to him that I was nervous to do those things because I was anorexic in high school and calories and weight loss were my triggers. He became really upset because we “have to do it the right way.”

I’d finally had enough and decided to call him out on his negative responses because they’re hurting my self esteem. He told me that it is important for him to have a girlfriend that is fit and will take part in that lifestyle with him. I asked how he doesn’t see how that response in itself was hurtful and he responded with “it’s not mean, it’s the truth.” He ended up crying the rest of the night for reasons he couldn’t figure out and I got to console him until we went to sleep. I left after he went to sleep because I didn’t want to see him in the morning.

The next morning he called and we fought. He told me that he has the fundamental belief that people don’t deserve compliments for things they don’t put effort into. Therefore, my body does not deserve any compliments. At this point I am livid and tell him that his responses and beliefs are hurtful, and I don’t understand why he’s okay with upsetting me as much as he is. I try to explain to him that it is normal for people to want compliments, especially from their S.O. He thinks I am an rear end in a top hat for shutting him down and putting value in a societal convention.

He is dead set on keeping his opinion and I am sick to my stomach that he feels this way about my body. He's typically sweet and I have no idea how to move forward from here. What should I do?

I think it’s important to mention that I am not obese, I am a size 6, 140 pounds. I could just stand to lose ten or so.

TL;DR when I complain to my boyfriend about my body he tells me to work out or diet, when I told him that his responses are hurting my self esteem and it would be nice to hear a compliment every once and a while he says he doesn't think my body deserves compliments.

Hmmm... on one hand she says I want to lose weight and then ignores him telling her exactly what she needs to do.

On the other hand if she can be believed the dude is a raging rear end in a top hat.
That said, given how she talks about how hard she's trying to lose weight while describing doing absolutely nothing I'm not really inclined to believe her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for my husband and I getting mad and leaving after a family told us to "keep it down" at a bar?

With a bunch of friends, 9:00 on a Friday night, having some drinks. A couple F-bombs were dropped, good times were being had. At the table behind us is a couple with their 12-13yr old son. The mother has a cow and complains to the waitress about the 'profanity' coming from our table, falling on her son's virgin ears (please).

One half of the restaurant is a bar area, the other half is a very family-friendly dining area. These parents chose to sit in the sports bar... at 9:00... on a Friday night.. with their minor child. In Canada, kids are allowed in bars if it's part of the restaurant, so long as they're not served alcohol.

Seriously, what is it with some parents who continually and intentionally put themselves in a position where the world is expected to bend for their kids? I just don't get this.

In response, we all held hands around the table and sang the Barney song - loudly. My husband, on the other hand insisted on leaving, dropping a barrage of F-bombs all the way out.

I think the waitress should have offered to move them to the dining area, rather than relay the complaint to our table. What do you think?