Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Wicked Them Beats posted:

The big thing I remember people grousing about when Davis was in office was the increase to vehicle registration fees.

Yeah like at that time, the anti-tax brigade in California was really strong? Registration fees are not exactly progressive but they're also pretty trivial and a stupid thing to be so mad about. Grey Davis' real crime was being bland and uncharismatic and incapable of making people like him enough to look past some minor issues or believe that the energy crisis wasn't really his fault.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

California politicians kind of painted themselves into that corner with their lovely tax policies. Rather than address the structural funding problems CA has they said gently caress it lets just slap some regressive taxes on everyone, allowing a broad anti-tax movement to spring up. Think about how many taxes a poor person in California pays: income tax, up to 10% in sales tax, gas tax, vehicle registration tax, toll road fees, sin taxes.

They overplayed that card, and now anything with a tax attached to it can count on a broad base of people to vote against it.

edit: I think vehicle registration fees are particularly unpopular for a couple reasons.
1) It's being sent by the DMV, which most Californians despise.
2) The way the fee is presented makes it sound like you're paying the state $120 to just add your car to a spreadsheet somewhere
3) They mail it so many months in advance that everyone forgets to pay it on time, making it even more expensive
4) If you don't pay it, the state sends police to pull you over and write you tickets

Class Warcraft fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jun 19, 2020

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Class Warcraft posted:

California politicians kind of painted themselves into that corner with their lovely tax policies. Rather than address the structural funding problems CA has they said gently caress it lets just slap some regressive taxes on everyone, allowing a broad anti-tax movement to spring up. Think about how many taxes a poor person in California pays: income tax, up to 10% in sales tax, gas tax, vehicle registration tax, toll road fees, sin taxes.

They overplayed that card, and now anything with a tax attached to it can count on a broad base of people to vote against it.

prop 13 kneecapping revenue made it impossible to fund things at a necessary level, so budgeting became a political fight carried out by AMENDMENTS TO THE STATE CONSTITUTION. At this point, it is literally impossible to budget in the state of California. Every dollar that comes in is basically pulled from one specific action and that dollar is only used for one specific thing.

This is a gross generalization, but constraining budgeting ability with the loving state constitution is completely insane, and that won’t be fixed as long as the howard jarvis taxpayers association is allowed to draw breath.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

xarph posted:

prop 13 kneecapping revenue made it impossible to fund things at a necessary level, so budgeting became a political fight carried out by AMENDMENTS TO THE STATE CONSTITUTION. At this point, it is literally impossible to budget in the state of California. Every dollar that comes in is basically pulled from one specific action and that dollar is only used for one specific thing.

This is a gross generalization, but constraining budgeting ability with the loving state constitution is completely insane, and that won’t be fixed as long as the howard jarvis taxpayers association is allowed to draw breath.

Yeah prop 13 made things difficult but that doesn’t mean thy had to make sure every source of revenue was as regressive as possible. You could target additional sources of revenues at the wealthiest and businesses instead of slapping a 10% sales tax that disproportionately hurts the poorest people

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Leperflesh posted:

Christ. I remember people being absolutely furious at Grey Davis, for causing the rolling blackout crisis being victimized by Enron's illegal market manipulation in the rolling blackout crisis, which is how we wound up with Arnold in the first place.

Grey Davis's reaction to all that was, at least at the time IIRC, basically perceived as "thank you Enron may the state have another?"

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Class Warcraft posted:

Yeah prop 13 made things difficult but that doesn’t mean thy had to make sure every source of revenue was as regressive as possible. You could target additional sources of revenues at the wealthiest and businesses instead of slapping a 10% sales tax that disproportionately hurts the poorest people

At the time, the dems had a majority but IIRC not a supermajority in the state legislature, and I think they also had rules requiring 2/3rds majority support to raise taxes? So it was probably politically impossible to raise the top marginal income tax rate. That really only left regressive tax options on the table as passable.

Davis also signed a law allowing illegal immigrants to get drivers licenses, and that was definitely one of the immediate instigators of the recall election. Darrell Issa funded the initial recall efforts and that included smear job advertising.

But I'll maintain that his real problem was being a relatively uncharismatic centrist democrat and making himself easily blamed for the energy crisis that was actually due to Enron's market manipulations that he could not have known about at the time. He was a scapegoat, basically, and his recall allowed a lot of other bad actors in that whole debacle and in the statewide budget crisis to avoid blame.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Goddamnit, San Mateo County just completely rescinded shelter-in-place, including allowing gatherings of up to 50 people.

lol gently caress me

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Leperflesh posted:

But I'll maintain that his real problem was being a relatively uncharismatic centrist democrat and making himself easily blamed for the energy crisis that was actually due to Enron's market manipulations that he could not have known about at the time. He was a scapegoat, basically, and his recall allowed a lot of other bad actors in that whole debacle and in the statewide budget crisis to avoid blame.
Agreed. He's what I thought Newsome would be like: bland, not very exciting, not really pushing for anything big (or doing so in a way that was to understated).
About the only fun thing about that whole debacle was
* an idiot I knew in college was part of that clown-car primary
* Issa got loving curb-stomped by Arnie and wept openly about it because he realized his engineered coup had just been completely derailed

Davis also seemed like he wasn't able to do much to counter the blackouts so it just became an "oops, guess County Medical goes without juice this afternoon" or whatever.

Eminent Domain posted:

lol gently caress me
Didn't we just have a day with like 4k new cases or something astronomic like that?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

FilthyImp posted:

* Issa got loving curb-stomped by Arnie and wept openly about it because he realized his engineered coup had just been completely derailed

It's impossible to understate just how richly satisfying this was to witness.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I'm still salty about what a bully Arnold was to state workers :mad:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

Davis also seemed like he wasn't able to do much to counter the blackouts so it just became an "oops, guess County Medical goes without juice this afternoon" or whatever.

Hospitals are set up to have power even when everyone else doesn't. They're on special substation grids that are the last to be turned off, and they typically have extensive emergency generators on site, too.

The blackouts affected middle class suburban white voters, and that's why they were outrageous and unacceptable.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

I was an adolescent for most of Arnold's tenure so I don't remember much except that his political addresses started getting added to Arnold soundboards.

"First, I would just to just get to know you"

"Special interests have a stranglehold on Sacramento"

"Let me talk to your mother"

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

"First, I would just to just get to know you"

was not expecting to be reminded of this line

one of us is in deep trouble

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Who is your daddy and what does he do?
What does he what does he what does he do?

Arnie's signature is on my college diploma :coal:

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Leperflesh posted:

At the time, the dems had a majority but IIRC not a supermajority in the state legislature, and I think they also had rules requiring 2/3rds majority support to raise taxes? So it was probably politically impossible to raise the top marginal income tax rate. That really only left regressive tax options on the table as passable.

The 2/3rds to pass taxes thing is still a thing today; I know this mainly since I follow firearm legislation in California pretty closely. There's actually a lawsuit in CA state court over whether a fee increase bill that was passed was actually a tax (because California legislature tends to increase the number of firearm enforcement actions/new crimes without actually increasing funding for enforcement), and if the plaintiffs won then the law would be found invalid for being a tax that was improperly typed as a fee, and only needed a simple majority to pass. It wouldn't be hard to imagine this happens frequently in other areas of interest that CA legislature passes bills for.

Apparently also the current Super Majority in California is still afraid to this day of increasing taxes, and most individual legislators still try to find the funding through regressive fees rather than tax increases.

Separate note: The whole history of that fee increase thing is convoluted since CA DoJ was doing weird things with re-allocating monies earmarked for specific activities (background checks) that had a surplus for other activities (going after prohibited possessors on the APPS list) and then saying they didn't have enough money for background checks and needed to raise the fee for that... is basically how it's explained in a nutshell.

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jun 20, 2020

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Leperflesh posted:

Christ. I remember people being absolutely furious at Grey Davis, for causing the rolling blackout crisis being victimized by Enron's illegal market manipulation in the rolling blackout crisis, which is how we wound up with Arnold in the first place.

I also remember Pete Wilson. Remember that fucker? He seems so... mild and acceptable nowadays, compared to the flavor of Republican the country is blessed with anymore.

There are older Latinos still bitter as hell about Wilson, and for good reason.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Prop 187 was in retrospect the beginning of the end for the California Republicans.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

I have bad news about every California city named after a mission, anything named Fremont, Sutter, Carson, Kern, Mendocino, uh I dunno look up your local namesakes and you'll find no end to colonial enslavement, rape, and murder.

I dunno if Junipero Serra is cancelled by we can definitely take down his ugly rear end statue on 280

Hey good news!

https://twitter.com/shane_bauer/status/1274182715068133377?s=21

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Goddamnit, San Mateo County just completely rescinded shelter-in-place, including allowing gatherings of up to 50 people.

That explains all the horseshit gatherings I just saw taking a walk tonight. Holy gently caress.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

I also remember Pete Wilson. Remember that fucker? He seems so... mild and acceptable nowadays, compared to the flavor of Republican the country is blessed with anymore.

Wasn't he a big fan of Prop 187?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Wasn't he a big fan of Prop 187?

Yes, it was a very important part of his re-election campaign.

Gustavo Arellano from LATimes did a nice 4-episode podcast on the history of 187 and how it shaped California and brought Hispanics into politics. He even interviewed Pete Wilson after it aired.

https://art19.com/shows/this-is-california

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The family of the man who was found hanged in Victorville has declared it a suicide after surveillance video from a nearby property surfaces
https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/laurenstrapagiel/malcolm-harschs-suicide-hanging

This is not the same as the man found hanged in Palmdale who's half-brother was shot, however.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
The dynamics of taking down statues spanish colonizers like Serra, particularly in the southwest, are a little bit more complex than taking down confederate monuments because for a while they were embraced as symbols of latino heritage/culture, particular by some older latinos. You saw this in NM at that statue that the right wing group tried to defend.

I have no dog in this fight and don't really care at all what happens to the statues of people like him, but it's not always just confederate chuds defending these things.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
Like 'Italian' Americans defending Columbus statues. They need to listen to their kids.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

They’re coming down folks

https://twitter.com/lataco/status/1274452567666245632?s=21

https://twitter.com/lataco/status/1274453492854210561?s=21

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Bit weepy from delight. Feel-good movie of the year 10/10, would tear down and burn statue again.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

We should replace these old racist monuments with Iowa's Civil war monument, which is, uh, a woman with her tits out NSFW

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Goodpancakes posted:

We should replace these old racist monuments with Iowa's Civil war monument, which is, uh, a woman with her tits out NSFW

:shittypop:

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

john ashcroft weeps

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Still Dismal posted:

I have no dog in this fight

I kinda do, I'm of Spanish descent who lives in San Francisco.

To the indigenous people of the area, I'm sorry for what my people did. It was wrong and I can't fix it. I'll help however I can, whatever you need, and I'll keep listening.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
I was refueling my car when I looked across the street to the local megachurch, Harvest, and saw that there was plenty of exiting vehicle traffic and attendees walking on the main road to their cars as well. No masks.
So christian of them to contribute to the spread of the virus.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Gavin,

Pleast stop

wearing fitted masks

that don't fit.

You are setting a bad example.

Signed,
somebody who has to deal with people in the public who constantly have masks falling off their noses.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
Jesus, the latest numbers for the virus look really bad, especially in Arizona and Texas. If you’re anywhere in SoCal that shares commuting patterns or other frequent travel with the rest of the southwest, loving stay home. It’s a matter of when, not if.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

So a buddy of mine woke up feeling like hammered dogshit today and I'm hoping it's just a summer cold and not the rona. His work makes him come in half the week even though he's a computer toucher and could do his job from home. If they put him in a situation that gave him the plague I'm gonna be real mad! I'm waiting for the numbers to absolutely skyrocket to horrifying levels in California by the end of the month.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

i wonder how long it will take before the universities cancel their plans to have in-person classes this fall

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
It's already happened for UCs and CSUs. Most things online, with only stuff that has to be in person, like labs, taking place on campus.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Father's day +.4th of July. Man by the end of July we'll be reeling

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

El Mero Mero posted:

Father's day +.4th of July. Man by the end of July we'll be reeling

There is about every party going on in my neighborhood. My parents wanted me to drive down to see them and hang in the driveway so they could see the kids, but... you can't control 8 year olds so I had to tell them no. It sucks, meanwhile everyone around me is acting like this poo poo doesn't exist.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
Remember, there is a visibility bias to these things. You see the people being assholes and going out to bars and having parties, etc. You don't see the people being responsible and staying home.

Really sucked not going home for fathers day this year though. I miss the old man. Did a facetime call but it's not the same.
A non-trivial number of dads are gonna die because their kids tried to be good children and visit this year though. :smith: This poo poo sucks man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

The thing that drives me crazy about shelter in place was that it was there to buy time for the government to act. But that time was never spent on anything. They didn't set up universal testing, contact tracing, and well-supported quarantines for infected people. They didn't pass any legislation to support people that might lose jobs and businesses that might close. It was just like, we took a pause in March, and then now it's June and nothing has really changed in terms of a large-scale governmental response.

Social isolation is really hard, and even people like ourselves who are serious about the danger of COVID-19 have to recognize that's it's painful and damaging to not be able to see people we care about and do things that make our lives feel like they're worth living. For the first 2 months of the lockdown I was a loving hardass about it. I stopped visiting my girlfriend in Sacramento, I did huge amounts of planning to avoid going to the supermarket more than once every two weeks, I didn't see anybody. But like...I can do that for 2 months. I can maybe do it for 6 months, if I have reason to believe that those 6 month are being spent mounting a serious response that means I don't have to do it anymore. But I can't do it for a year, or 18 months, or 2 years.

As of a few weeks ago my personal model has shifted from "rigorous self-denial for the common good" to "measured, thoughtful risk-taking to ensure that I'm emotionally able to go back to rigorous self-denial once the hospitalization rate starts to climb again."

If they announced tomorrow, "Okay, we have a testing and contract tracing plan we're gonna roll out, everyone plz stop all movement for 2 weeks to allow symptoms to manifest and to slow the infection rate so it works" I'd go full hermit again, and I think a lot of people would too. That's a solution. But they're not giving us solutions. They're not giving us anything. While I think not going to bars and restaurants is a lot bar that a lot of people ought to be able to clear (like just wearing masks when out-and-about, jfc), completely avoiding friends and family is impossible for most people to do for the period of time necessary for, say, a vaccine to be developed.

I saw my dad yesterday. A couple of us met up at my mom's place where there's a big back yard, we grilled some meat and had tacos, and sat around outside. As we were making this plan, I had a serious conversation with my dad (who is an at-risk person) about what the risks are realistically, and he basically said that he doesn't want to get COVID, but he's been 100% alone for months now, and it's really messing him up. It was a really nice day, and I think it gave him enough of a re-charge that he'll be able to tolerate not traveling to San Diego to see his grandkids, or visiting friends in the Bay for a while.

I think that stuff like that is likely to be the best-case scenario model right now. Abstinence doesn't work for sex, it doesn't work for drugs, it's not gonna work for COVID. We've gotta practice safer socializing, not avoiding other people entirely until some hypothetical moment where there's no more risk.