Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Spergatory posted:

First thing I'm doing with Repentance is modding antibirth music back in.

Pretty sure Mudeth has said he's expanding the Antibirth soundtrack to cover every single track in the final game, and adding it as a workshop mod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Well then, praise be to Mudeth. 🙏

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
Sorry if this doesn't really belong here but the release date trailer for Legend of Bum-bo just got released!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sNhPqfJmDs

It's a prequel to BoI and will come out on November 12th.

https://twitter.com/edmundmcmillen/status/1169276590183706624?s=20

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1148650/The_Legend_of_BumBo/

I tried out Slay the Spire and found it really dull but maybe this will be fun.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Any idea why this game runs slow as molasses? I didn't use to have this problem but I haven't picked it up in a while.

This is what my options.ini file looks like. I've already tried changing VSync from 1 to 0 and MaxRenderScale from 2 to 1.
code:
[Options]
Language=
MusicVolume=0.3000
SFXVolume=0.4000
MapOpacity=0.3000
Fullscreen=0
Filter=0
Exposure=1.0000
Gamma=1.5000
ControllerHotplug=1
PopUps=1
CameraStyle=1
ShowRecentItems=1
HudOffset=0.0000
TryImportSave=0
MaxScale=99
MaxRenderScale=1
VSync=0
PauseOnFocusLost=1
SteamCloud=1
MouseControl=0
WindowWidth=960
WindowHeight=540
WindowPosX=8
WindowPosY=41

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

IMJack posted:

Any idea why this game runs slow as molasses? I didn't use to have this problem but I haven't picked it up in a while.

This is what my options.ini file looks like. I've already tried changing VSync from 1 to 0 and MaxRenderScale from 2 to 1.
code:
[Options]
Language=
MusicVolume=0.3000
SFXVolume=0.4000
MapOpacity=0.3000
Fullscreen=0
Filter=0
Exposure=1.0000
Gamma=1.5000
ControllerHotplug=1
PopUps=1
CameraStyle=1
ShowRecentItems=1
HudOffset=0.0000
TryImportSave=0
MaxScale=99
MaxRenderScale=1
VSync=0
PauseOnFocusLost=1
SteamCloud=1
MouseControl=0
WindowWidth=960
WindowHeight=540
WindowPosX=8
WindowPosY=41

I had this problem as well suddenly, but vsync 0 fixed it for me. Then I discovered that vsync 1 and playing fullscreen fixed it as well, so try playing fullscreen maybe?

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Quick question. Is there a way to install mods and still unlock characters/challenges? I decided to delete all my saves and start over but I can't use the external item descriptor mod until beating moms heart and would rather just have it from the get-go.

*edit* never mind, it's mom's foot not heart. Easy-peasy. Finished it now.

Red Mundus fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Sep 5, 2019

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Red Mundus posted:

Quick question. Is there a way to install mods and still unlock characters/challenges? I decided to delete all my saves and start over but I can't use the external item descriptor mod until beating moms heart and would rather just have it from the get-go.

*edit* never mind, it's mom's foot not heart. Easy-peasy. Finished it now.

Mods don't turn off achievements anymore. Well most of them.

I recommend a no curses mod because curses don't actually add difficulty, they just make the game suck more

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
my favourite is curse of the labyrinth robbing you of stores libraries and devil deals. good poo poo

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
I want a mod that removes the boss rooms that can't have devil doors spawn.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Curses should just be removed and replaced with a new special room type with some sort of chests that have a decent chance of containing items with the cost of being hit with a random curse for the next floor for each one you open.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Random curses in exchange for an item would be an excellent mechanic, since then curses would be entirely your choice and fault.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The curses people tend to complain about are the ones I think are actually OK - they make the game harder, and to me that's fine and intended. It's the ones that don't add any difficulty but just slightly inconvenience/waste the time of the player that I don't like (eg Curse of Darkness, Curse of the Unknown, Curse of the Maze and Lost in explored rooms).

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

For the longest time on my Switch copy, I only did the challenges that unlock Rune Bag, Degaz, Jera, Algiz, and Perthro. No need to stuff the bag with too many runes when those will do for quite a while.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I'd play on Switch all the time if I could port over my complete save. Even with 3000+ hours in the game it would still feel like a slog to unlock everything again. Also there's no way it's getting the DLC or unavoidable patches for at least months after PC.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Repentance is probably going to drive me back to my horribly behind PC account from my Switch.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Chin Strap posted:

Repentance is probably going to drive me back to my horribly behind PC account from my Switch.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Irony Be My Shield posted:

The curses people tend to complain about are the ones I think are actually OK - they make the game harder, and to me that's fine and intended. It's the ones that don't add any difficulty but just slightly inconvenience/waste the time of the player that I don't like (eg Curse of Darkness, Curse of the Unknown, Curse of the Maze and Lost in explored rooms).

Wait, isn't that pretty much all the curses except Curse of the Blind and Curse of the Labyrinth?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Curse of the Blind = skip the item room and any item that pops out of a red chest for me.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Carpator Diei posted:

Wait, isn't that pretty much all the curses except Curse of the Blind and Curse of the Labyrinth?
Yeah. Although Maze putting you into unexplored territory and Lost removing the information you have about unexplored rooms are fine. I just object to how they make traversing already explored rooms take longer.

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

come back here
Why isn’t there a release date on Repentance yet. :reject:

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Idkb but the one thing i do know is that those pax videos are some good poo poo.

Also in one of his twitter threada someone asked edmund if this is the last we'll see of isaac and he said that he'll eventually make isaac 2 and i am drooling at the idea of a completely rebalanced and shaken up isaac

Vakal
May 11, 2008

ArfJason posted:

Idkb but the one thing i do know is that those pax videos are some good poo poo.

Also in one of his twitter threada someone asked edmund if this is the last we'll see of isaac and he said that he'll eventually make isaac 2 and i am drooling at the idea of a completely rebalanced and shaken up isaac

With Edmund I'll believe it when I see it, but it would probably just be teenaged Issac featuring a lot more sex stuff.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Vakal posted:

teenaged Issac

uhh I got bad news for you about Isaac

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

come back here
Isaac 2 should be about Isaac roaming around purgatory with an overworld and multiple dungeons within it, trying to unlock his way to heaven / resting in peace, as an even more original Zelda style game than BoI already is.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Edmund said that The Forgotten is sortof stepping into Isaac sequel territory - even after his death Isaac's soul remains trapped. I can imagine that a sequel would be more explicitly based around an afterlife scenario.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I hope the sequel has dashes/dodge-rolling! Can't get enough of that fiddly mechanic in roguelikes! Yeah!

Seriously though, Isaac's movement system is amazing, dodging is entirely based on your skill, why do games always need to put that extra dodgeroll mechanic in?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Isaac is the best game ever. They can futz around and do whatever they want to the sequel because they already delivered

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
I haven't thought of this game or thread in a long time, but just saw the sequel news and I'm oddly interested. The last version I have is Afterbirth+ (Steam listing says Rebirth), and I'm at Real Platinum God, even though Isaac is the only one with all 9 icons present + red outlines.

Should I do anything to, like, prep for the update?

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
oh man I forgot why this game wore thin for me. Played for a couple of hours last night, realizing the reasons I stopped for a while. Primarily, the item pool is chock-full of lame items, so it's really likely that a build will be underpowered and dull to play by floor 4+

Is there any way to have fun in this game other than holding "R" until I roll an OK first-room DPS item?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Cobalt60 posted:

oh man I forgot why this game wore thin for me. Played for a couple of hours last night, realizing the reasons I stopped for a while. Primarily, the item pool is chock-full of lame items, so it's really likely that a build will be underpowered and dull to play by floor 4+

Is there any way to have fun in this game other than holding "R" until I roll an OK first-room DPS item?

Take more risks and learn to play on the edge.

You can do a lot of things to increase your odds of getting a better run, but they require health tradeoffs. Take a devil deal just to set the precedent so you won't get angel rooms. Go into every curse room. Maybe you're about to leave a floor at 2 hearts and there's a boss trap room; could be worth damaging yourself to go into it. Push for boss rush every time.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

PostNouveau posted:

Go into every curse room.

I admittedly only know the game from watching other people play, but I really didn't get the impression that Curse Rooms are worth the damage. Two thirds of the time they seem to hold only spiders and troll bombs, or red chests containing spiders and troll bombs. Are the potential benefits that great?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

never hit R

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Carpator Diei posted:

I admittedly only know the game from watching other people play, but I really didn't get the impression that Curse Rooms are worth the damage. Two thirds of the time they seem to hold only spiders and troll bombs, or red chests containing spiders and troll bombs. Are the potential benefits that great?

Yes. The room can have devil deal items, and red chests can have Guppy items, and both of those things snowball very hard. Of course, you only want to do this after you've resolved whether you're getting into the devil/angel room for the floor or not.

In general, you want to get into the mindset of spending your resources (including health) to boost your chances of snowballing into a better run. I think an easy way to start thinking that way is to take a second before you go to the next floor and kind of run through a checklist of what you have and what you could do with that on this floor before you leave.

Devil beggars and blood donation machines are another way to "spend" your health to good ends.

I'm also assuming you know the rules for spawning secret rooms and super secret rooms, but if you don't, that's something good to brush up on until you internalize it.

https://bindingofisaacrebirth.gamepedia.com/Secret_Room

It's another thing for the end-of-floor checklist.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Carpator Diei posted:

They can contain some fairly powerful items (including parts of the Guppy set, and one of my enduring philosophies for Issac is "Always be looking out for a guppy transformation"), and often have enough hearts/soul hearts/black hearts in them to offset the damage you took on the way in. There are other ways to mitigate that too; Flight prevents you taking damage when you enter (though you still take damage when you leave), sometimes you can bomb your way in from a secret room, leaving them is a reasonable use of a teleport card (the fool or whatever), various invulnerability items and so on and so forth. I usually hit up a curse room if I can, but usually not until after I've beaten the boss if entering/leaving it would mean red heart damage.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Restarting for a good starting item is kindof a self fulfilling prophecy because you'll never get good enough at the game to win with even average item luck.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

PostNouveau posted:

Take more risks and learn to play on the edge.

You can do a lot of things to increase your odds of getting a better run, but they require health tradeoffs. Take a devil deal just to set the precedent so you won't get angel rooms. Go into every curse room. Maybe you're about to leave a floor at 2 hearts and there's a boss trap room; could be worth damaging yourself to go into it. Push for boss rush every time.

Not trying to snark, but I mentioned I had fully completed everyone's card except Apollyon and the other newer character, including super greed and whatever other special runs. I used to absolutely love the game, and was reminded last night exactly why that fizzled.

Your advice is only good if the player's intent is to sink hundreds of hours slogging through "risky" get gud runs, just to repeatedly fall short of end-game goals.

Personally, I'd think that a way to solve this might be to bump UP the access to early game power items. Instead, as I progressed, the game polluted every pool so badly that the game got worse. Not specifically harder, just simply less fun.

So, as a result, it's essentially stupid NOT to restart until I find a curse room with a guppy item plus a treasure room with a DMG+ item... as best I can tell...

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
i sort of found all the content after the chest to be a downer. The chest was the happy ending and then we got years of bad ending.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Cobalt60 posted:

Your advice is only good if the player's intent is to sink hundreds of hours slogging through "risky" get gud runs, just to repeatedly fall short of end-game goals.

It doesn't seem like a slog to me because this kind of decision-making usually works really well. I'd estimate I win >50% of runs with a build that outclasses most of the end-game goals.

Delirium is probably the exception; it's so tanky and damage shielded that you can't really demolish it.

I do have tons of time in the game, but I don't think my skills are all that great. It's mostly decision-making.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Cobalt60 posted:

Not trying to snark, but I mentioned I had fully completed everyone's card except Apollyon and the other newer character, including super greed and whatever other special runs. I used to absolutely love the game, and was reminded last night exactly why that fizzled.

Personally, I'd think that a way to solve this might be to bump UP the access to early game power items. Instead, as I progressed, the game polluted every pool so badly that the game got worse. Not specifically harder, just simply less fun.

So, as a result, it's essentially stupid NOT to restart until I find a curse room with a guppy item plus a treasure room with a DMG+ item... as best I can tell...

if youre intent on gaming without honour sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

No Wave posted:

i sort of found all the content after the chest to be a downer. The chest was the happy ending and then we got years of bad ending.

Ending 18 (greed mode) is also a kinda happy ending, and I hope Repentance somehow ties it in to the new ending(s).