Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

This is one thing I dislike about TNG. There's a sense, at least in the early episodes, that they start drilling advanced math and science into kids' heads from a very young age. There are probably some benefits to that, but they don't let kids be kids. Your average nine year old doesn't need to be concerned with integration and derivatives, but cartoons, recess, and long division.

Maybe the TNG writers were the kind of kids who were smart in school. The Martin Prince type.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
Trip got pregnant

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

"This is a game we play. Perhaps it will help our species better understand one another."

*revvs up the dildo machine*

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

vermin posted:

"This is a game we play. Perhaps it will help our species better understand one another."

*revvs up the dildo machine*

Yeah but more like revs up the inseminator2000

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

This is one thing I dislike about TNG. There's a sense, at least in the early episodes, that they start drilling advanced math and science into kids' heads from a very young age. There are probably some benefits to that, but they don't let kids be kids. Your average nine year old doesn't need to be concerned with integration and derivatives, but cartoons, recess, and long division.

Differential calculus is easier than long division IMO.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
If you make the assumption that basic arithmetic will be handled by the computer and skip multiplication tables and whatever you could start algebra much earlier. If you introduced kids to the modes of thought that enable symbolic reasoning starting in preschool I could maybe see simple calculus showing up in middle school. Whether this is a good idea or not is another question entirely

Duckula
Aug 31, 2001

do not resuscitate

The Greatest Gen are doing Sub Rosa tomorrow - they're going to wish they saved those vetos, ohhh boy.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

spincube posted:

Maybe the TNG writers were the kind of kids who were smart in school. The Martin Prince type.

If that were true there would be actual science in episodes. Not made up bullshit.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

cheetah7071 posted:

I don't find it so implausible that our imperfect meat brains have some sort of undiscovered backdoor that you can use to impart knowledge rapidly, and that the utopian society in star trek uses it to teach rather than to dispense advertising/propaganda

You don't even really need a backdoor or anything. Kids today already learn way, way more at a much younger age than kids did fifty or a hundred years ago, and that's even with highly imperfect educational systems like what we have in the US. It's pretty easy to imagine that you can teach a lot more when you've got a society that strongly values education for its own sake rather than as a means to an end. The complete lack of childhood poverty probably helps quite a bit too.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Watching The Wounded. Picard mentions the Stargazer, I think I've heard that name before.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

The Cardassians sound like assholes. Oh hey it's the newly married couple.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

"Maybe I'll have something special for you tonight too" is this the most brazen sexual reference in the series or am I misunderstanding

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I wonder if this episode was directly aimed at revving up for DS9 or if the Cardassians were just an alien of the week that the writers liked and decided to keep using

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Whoa the Cardassians forced the Enterprise to fight them just as a macho greeting?

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Whoa the Cardassians forced the Enterprise to fight them just as a macho greeting?

The Cardies are kind of assholes (Macet is cool tho)

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Intro thought: I was gonna make drinking prune juice as I watch a tradition but the effect it had on my gastrointestinal system was too strong.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

cheetah7071 posted:

I wonder if this episode was directly aimed at revving up for DS9 or if the Cardassians were just an alien of the week that the writers liked and decided to keep using
Pretty sure that as of this episode it was not planned for the Cardassians to become a thing

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

This admiral Picard's talking to is the first one I can remember that doesn't seem corrupt.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

cheetah7071 posted:

Director Chip Chalmers posted:

We introduced a new enemy that's finally able to speak on the level of Picard. They're not grunting, they're not giggling, they're not mutes or all-knowing entities. Here are the Cardassians who also graduated first in their class and they're able to carry on highly intelligent conversations with Picard, but they're sinister as hell.

So I think they intended them to be recurring, yes.

EDIT - Star Trek: Deep Space Nine - The Official Poster Magazine, No. 4 disagrees with me, so I stand corrected.

After The War fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Aug 22, 2017

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I hope the Cardassians didn't engineer an incident as a pretext for war, because if that's the case it might as well have just been the Romulans.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Oh cool it sounds like O'Brien gets to do something.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Paradoxish posted:

The Cardies are kind of assholes (Macet is cool tho)

The fact that almost the entirety of Patrick Stewart/Marc Alaimo interaction is in this single episode fills me with sadness.

Good thing he's about to get his own series, "Star Trek: Terok Nor!"

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Intro thought: I was gonna make drinking prune juice as I watch a tradition but the effect it had on my gastrointestinal system was too strong.

loving lmao

A warrior's drink indeed.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Were the Cardassians the start of the trend of aliens having BDSM aesthetics that later reached a crescendo in Farscape

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Watching The Wounded. Picard mentions the Stargazer, I think I've heard that name before.

Stargazer was the ship that Picard commanded (and lost) prior to commanding Enterprise.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Jeb! Repetition posted:

There was a crappy season 1 episode which involved Picard's service on the ship and a kerfuffle with Ferengi.

cheetah7071 posted:

For "The Wounded" no, they were just aliens of the week and DS9 was a couple years off. In early drafts of "Ensign Ro" it was still the Romulans who had conquered Bajor and Berman (iirc) figured they should use Cardassians instead.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Seeing the Cardassians without their headgear now and the makeup department really earned their paychecks.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I wonder if "The Wounded" refers to O'Brien because of his grudge about that raid Maxwell was involved in

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Were the Cardassians the start of the trend of aliens having BDSM aesthetics that later reached a crescendo in Farscape

Thankfully, the weird bondage masks Cardassians wore in this episode never appear again. Also the muttonchops.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
I always have to remember, with Star Trek, the answer is always "they were never thinking ahead, ever." DS9's storyline was the fantastic result of a thousand various rear end-pulls.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

O'Brien's rationalizing is getting disturbing

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.
I don't think either Greatest Generation or Next Conversation (I prefer the latter honestly) should get to skip *any* episode. The best thing is Next Conversation HAVING to slog through the first two seasons... bad episodes lead to much funnier podcasts.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I kind of wish the Cardassian and O'Brien were able to get really emotional while talking about this, just break down, because that's what I'd probably do in the situation

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I'm seeing what that guy meant about the Cardassians being able to match Picard

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

CaveGrinch posted:

I don't think either Greatest Generation or Next Conversation (I prefer the latter honestly) should get to skip *any* episode. The best thing is Next Conversation HAVING to slog through the first two seasons... bad episodes lead to much funnier podcasts.

This is kind of a weird complaint since Greatest Gen blew away all their vetoes, didn't skip anything, and already announced that they aren't doing vetoes for DS9 since neither of them have seen every episode.

Paradoxish fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Aug 22, 2017

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Maxwell has such a perfect "politician" quality

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

The writing is amazing, Maxwell is a perfect hawk right down to taking military action because of weapons that weren't there

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Jeb! Repetition posted:

The writing is amazing, Maxwell is a perfect hawk right down to taking military action because of weapons that weren't there

This episode aired a few days after Desert Storm, too.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

MY FEELS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Nice bit of ambiguity at the end there with the reveal that the supply ships really did have weapons and you wonder whether how history really will look at Picard just like Maxwell said. What an awesome episode.