Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
drat I've never been tempted by 28mm Napoleonics but this goofy poo poo has me reconsidering. Now to find a Tod model...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Springfield Fatts posted:

drat I've never been tempted by 28mm Napoleonics but this goofy poo poo has me reconsidering. Now to find a Tod model...

This is the same poo poo that got me to cave.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Very technically, you could also do pike and shotte Turnip, though playing a melee army would be difficult iirc.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Dragoons and Uhlans are coming along nicely - about an hour or so?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Southern Heel posted:

Dragoons and Uhlans are coming along nicely - about an hour or so?

At this speed you'll have your starter armies before you know it. :)

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

lilljonas posted:

At this speed you'll have your starter armies before you know it. :)

I made the mistake of working out how many mans that would be in terms of figures and I stopped counting once I got to 1,500.

EDIT:

Dragoons and Uhlans done but for a little silver on the weaponry. I think the Uhlans have a little too many colours and look less effective than the Dragoons, but overall I'm fairly pleased. I'm waiting on warbases.co.uk for my order of MDF bases but I'm pleased that in a couple of hours of work I now have three quarters of an 1805-09 Austrian army for DBN. It has made me wonder about re-living the aborted 28mm Pike & Shotte army I built, but in 2 or 3mm.

As a general rule, how are pike and shot-era games? I only remember playing a demo game with myself of P&S and I remember enjoying the friction of command and control elements a good deal and it seems that it would affect an ECW army more than others - but with precious few unit types I wonder if it would get dull quickly.

EDIT2: Adler sent me an order that I was just asking for a quote for - shame it's 6mm and I've already gone in on 3mm! Oh well!

Southern Heel fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Nov 21, 2022

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Potentially stretching the definition of "historical", but what good 25/28mm moderns suppliers are there that'd come recommended from the board? I should be clear: this is for a zombies game, so hollywood-acceptable is fine (that is, would look okay for modern soldiers in a movie, even if technically these are 2004 Fallujah marines, not 2019 Afghanistan marines or whatever), it's mostly the kind of patchwork availability in the UK I'm concerned about!

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

spectralent posted:

Potentially stretching the definition of "historical", but what good 25/28mm moderns suppliers are there that'd come recommended from the board? I should be clear: this is for a zombies game, so hollywood-acceptable is fine (that is, would look okay for modern soldiers in a movie, even if technically these are 2004 Fallujah marines, not 2019 Afghanistan marines or whatever), it's mostly the kind of patchwork availability in the UK I'm concerned about!

Empress Miniatures' ultra moderns range?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Radio Dishdah did solid minis for Skirmish Sangin but I can't find them still on sale anywhere with a quick google. Their Black Hawk Down range would probably really suit your needs if you can find them though, since that set of kit is really recognisable.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Rascar Capac posted:

Empress Miniatures' ultra moderns range?

Empress I've seen some people moan about on facebook. How are they?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I've got their modern Marines and found them quite nice. Couple of bent barrels and square pancake bases were my only complaints.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

spectralent posted:

Hasslefree have some specops style guys in their ranges.

There's also White Dragon Miniatures who appear to have IDF, Brits, Russians and the Taliban.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Placentaur posted:

Thank you! I don't know why I didn't look at GB itself. It really does seem to mostly be a little bit of saxon/norman, just with more mustaches and different haircuts.

I'm surprised there's not more material out there, but I wonder if it's a language thing, since most sources in English are likely more interested in the Viking invasion of England rather than whatever was happening on the continent. Maybe I should try looking at sources in French.

But this is very fun, I get the appeal. Not many hobbies have you asking "but what really is a Frank, on a spiritual level"

My friend recommended Victrix, he said they're both cheaper and the sculpts are better than the gripping beast stuff.

https://www.victrixlimited.com

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Re Moderns: Mantic Games used to have a hella cheap deal on a squad as part of their Mars Attacks game, especially since It's abandoned now and for a while they did 2-for-1 deals. But you could probably get them on ebay.

ETA: I should also ask can you do 3d printing? There's quite a few sculptors out there doing moderns now.

Springfield Fatts fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Nov 21, 2022

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

I can, both in that I technically own a machine that's awaiting The Thaw and in that I know other people who can print for me.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Has anyone done any WW1 wargaming here? Looking for 28mm platoon level rule recommendations.

I have some 28mm Wargames Atlantic minis I want to paint up and eventually put on the table. I have the rules for Blood and Valor and Through the Mud and the Blood but haven't played either yet.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Class Warcraft posted:

Has anyone done any WW1 wargaming here? Looking for 28mm platoon level rule recommendations.

I have some 28mm Wargames Atlantic minis I want to paint up and eventually put on the table. I have the rules for Blood and Valor and Through the Mud and the Blood but haven't played either yet.

Yes.

My British:

My Germans:

I can post close-ups if you want, let me know:

They're a 50/50 mix of North Star and Brigade Games. The Brigade models are a little bit beefier, but they're fine to mix in the same unit. I don't know how they line up in comparison to Wargames Atlantic.

Rules-wise, we started with Great War from Warhammer Historicals. It's a surprisingly good game, think stripped-down 40K 3rd Edition with some revisions. Unfortunately it's out of print and hard to find a copy. We've also used Through the Mud and Blood and it's quite good, but the rules are a bit hazy in some areas so you might need a game or two with a friendly opponent before you start playing to win. There are also all sorts of conversions for Bolt Action available online, this works well for non-trench games, like games set at the very end of the war.

I love WWI gaming. I think the era gets a bad rep because people think it's nothing but trenches - in reality it most assuredly isn't, and if you play at a small scale something like a trench raid or assault can be a very fun scenario.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Cessna posted:

They're a 50/50 mix of North Star and Brigade Games. The Brigade models are a little bit beefier, but they're fine to mix in the same unit. I don't know how they line up in comparison to Wargames Atlantic.

Rules-wise, we started with Great War from Warhammer Historicals. It's a surprisingly good game, think stripped-down 40K 3rd Edition with some revisions. Unfortunately it's out of print and hard to find a copy. We've also used Through the Mud and Blood and it's quite good, but the rules are a bit hazy in some areas so you might need a game or two with a friendly opponent before you start playing to win. There are also all sorts of conversions for Bolt Action available online, this works well for non-trench games, like games set at the very end of the war.

I love WWI gaming. I think the era gets a bad rep because people think it's nothing but trenches - in reality it most assuredly isn't, and if you play at a small scale something like a trench raid or assault can be a very fun scenario.

Dang those are nice looking armies. I'm hoping to find a ruleset that has good historical flavor (so to speak). My impression after reading the Blood & Valor rulebook was that it was just a reskinned Blood & Plunder and didn't really feel all that WW1y. Through the Mud and the Blood looks like the best option so far, but as you said it's not the easiest ruleset to understand just by reading it. Any suggestions on how to ease into it without confusing the hell out of myself?

Edit:

Also, do you have any good resources for the composition for a 1916+ German platoon?

Class Warcraft fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Nov 23, 2022

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

spectralent posted:

Spectre miniatures?

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

There's also the Warlord Spec Ops miniatures for Project Z: https://us.warlordgames.com/collections/project-z/products/project-z-spec-ops

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Class Warcraft posted:

Dang those are nice looking armies.

Thanks! One of my goals is to build a trench-terrain table. Maybe next summer.

Class Warcraft posted:

Through the Mud and the Blood looks like the best option so far, but as you said it's not the easiest ruleset to understand just by reading it. Any suggestions on how to ease into it without confusing the hell out of myself?

Watch a couple of Actual Play games on YouTube, maybe? This channel has a few, you can pick up the flow of the game by watching:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwdHoPijeHM

Oh, another rules suggestion, and I should have thought of this first! Chain of Command, also by Too Fat Lardies, is an excellent WWII platoon level game. A few years ago in their Christmas Special magazine (a pdf) they printed rules and platoon lists for late-war (1918) WWI. If you like or play CoC, go with this:

https://toofatlardies.co.uk/product/2014-christmas-special/

Class Warcraft posted:

Also, do you have any good resources for the composition for a 1916+ German platoon?

Here, Trenches on the Web is an old but excellent website.

For a print resource, Imperial German Army 1914-1918, Organization, Structure, Orders of Battle, by Herman Crom is quite good.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

I know batch painting is way more efficient but I've been staving off painting fatigue by just painting random stuff on a whim. My output this week:

One AZW British casualty
One Hungarian Huszar
An Afrika Korps Mortar Team
Some epic-scale Confederates

--

Cessna posted:

WW1 info

Awesome, thanks!

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Cessna posted:

I remember that Great War had a really innovative way to handle machine gun fire that I don't think any other game has ever come close to since then.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

How does it work in that?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It's been a long time since I played it and I don't have the rulebook to hand, so Cessna will correct me if I am misremembering here. You could do directed fire which was pretty much standard 40K "Gun is Heavy X" but with a real bug fistful of dice to throw downrange, or you could do a spray where you put down the flamer template, measured out along the edges to the gun's max range, and then any units caught under that including friendlies took XD6 hits depending on the gun. It made them pretty lethal and using cover was vital to getting near one.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Crossposting because it's historical-inspired:

Anarcho-Commissar posted:

And speaking of my Armoured Company:

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Pretty cool, what are the infantry kitbashes of?

Speaking of Historicals adjacent, the guy who does Turnip28 is launching a KS for some kits to smash into the mud.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/turnip28/turnip28-the-forlorn-hope?fbclid=IwAR3jJeD0gr6iIVyVOta8nG_aCfhpNxAfgQVKwlfrk4OLgZ1JCqiAkVg9Ips

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Springfield Fatts posted:

Pretty cool, what are the infantry kitbashes of?

Speaking of Historicals adjacent, the guy who does Turnip28 is launching a KS for some kits to smash into the mud.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/turnip28/turnip28-the-forlorn-hope?fbclid=IwAR3jJeD0gr6iIVyVOta8nG_aCfhpNxAfgQVKwlfrk4OLgZ1JCqiAkVg9Ips

They're Death Korps of Krieg Veteran Guardsmen from Kill Team, with head swaps from Warlord's Soviet Infantry box.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Class Warcraft posted:

Awesome, thanks!

One more WWI Rules recommendation. Firelock Games - they make Blood and Plunder - makes Blood and Valor, a WWI skirmish rules set. Games are small, it's made for a 4' x 4' table. My copy arrived today. From what I've read so far it looks pretty good; there's a really cool system of bidding for initiative/turn order. I'll play a game in a week or two and give a better review.

Dogatron
Jun 24, 2020

Z the IVth posted:

Is there a good source for 15mm decals in the UK? There's a decent selection for the Germans but Allied stars are non-existent and the average Sherman is supposed to have like 6 of them?

I am so tempted to use my 40k decals on them.

https://skytrex.com/collections/15mm-1-100th-scale-decals

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Thanks - I'd found these but then read that they aren't actually regular waterslides but more akin to temporary tattoos (apply sheet to surface, wet and rub back to transfer) which sounds terribly fiddly.

I ended up getting some I-94 decals from Pendraken.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Looking at them that doesn't make sense, because if they worked that way then they'd have to be printed backwards.

grobbendonk
Apr 22, 2008

Z the IVth posted:

Thanks - I'd found these but then read that they aren't actually regular waterslides but more akin to temporary tattoos (apply sheet to surface, wet and rub back to transfer) which sounds terribly fiddly.

I ended up getting some I-94 decals from Pendraken.

I'm not sure where you read that but I used some of these on my British armour last week, they are regular waterslide decals

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

grobbendonk posted:

I'm not sure where you read that but I used some of these on my British armour last week, they are regular waterslide decals

Everywhere I looked when I searched for reviews on their decals!

I wasn't as fussed chasing them as they're more expensive than what I wanted. I don't need that many.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Generally I find Wargames Atlantic minis to be kinda stiff and mediocre. Their WW1/WW2 French, however, are pretty dang nice.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Class Warcraft posted:

Generally I find Wargames Atlantic minis to be kinda stiff and mediocre. Their WW1/WW2 French, however, are pretty dang nice.

Those look great indeed

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I played chain of command once with 6 mm miniatures based on pennies, and it was a great laugh. I didn’t take it any further then, and sold them as whole cloth on eBay.

I want to get back into it with something on the eastern front. I’m thinking of 20 mm AB miniatures figures – mostly because I only have a 3 foot wide table. Is this a terrible idea? Should I just go with 28 mm and accept an abbreviated patrol phase?

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

20mm is still probably too big for such a small play area, I'd personally go with 10mm and use centimetres instead of inches for measurement.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The difference between 20mm and 28mm is enough that you could just use CM already TBH.

The nice thing about 20mm is you can get a platoon-worth in a box for bugger all if you buy from one of the model kit manufacturers, and then if it works consider replacing them with nicer metals. 15mm is another nice scale for it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

For WW2 i’d take a gander at victrix new 12mm plastics too, they look pretty sweet on pics though I haven’t seen them in person.