Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Having Gwenpool and her very specific powers on a team with other heroes is a dumb idea. But Kelly Thompson is a good writer so maybe she'll just sidestep those powers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

Mod agrees.

It'll be nice to see he written well after her lovely solo book.

For sure.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

X-O posted:

Having Gwenpool and her very specific powers on a team with other heroes is a dumb idea. But Kelly Thompson is a good writer so maybe she'll just sidestep those powers.

Even just a "oh no! I'm not the main character of this book - my powers don't work!" might do the trick

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Same with all the Gwenpool hate except with Quentin Quire.

Worst mutant ever.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
I look forward to it being canceled after 6 issues, with people then saying it was to good for this world.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

enigmahfc posted:

I look forward to it being canceled after 6 issues, with people then saying it was to good for this world.

They don't do stealth miniseries as much anymore. They usually explicitly make it a 1 of X series or they give it till about 11 or so then cancel it. Even America lasted that long.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

This series is extreme lucky that I love Thompson's writing and Gwen just barely more than I hate Quentin.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Y'all must have never read Wolverine and the X-Men.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Roth posted:

Same with all the Gwenpool hate except with Quentin Quire.

Worst mutant ever.

MOTHERFUCKER

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Quentin Quire Was Right

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Evey time I've read an issue with Quentin he's just a self entitled unlikable piece of poo poo

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

site posted:

Evey time I've read an issue with Quentin he's just a self entitled unlikable piece of poo poo

No wonder comic book fans like him so much.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Roth posted:

No wonder comic book fans like him so much.

MOTHERFUCKER

no wait, that's accurate.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
ACAB: All Comics Are Bad

And Nick Kocher is a writer for SNL and I had no idea he wrote some Marvel comics that I never read. Because ACAB. He also wrote her in a Secret Empire one-shot apparently.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I find it really hard to get over Quentin's introduction in New X-Men where he's a murderous skinhead. Like, that's a hard nadir to bounce back from.

That said I love a lot of these characters (especially Gwen), and I kinda loved the original West Coast Avengers if only for nostalgia reasons, so I'm excited to see what Thompson does with this. I'm wondering how much/if the connection to the original team will be a thing at all, given Clint is the only continuity member.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah but then the entire Wolverine and the X-Men series happened.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Android Blues posted:

I find it really hard to get over Quentin's introduction in New X-Men where he's a murderous skinhead. Like, that's a hard nadir to bounce back from.
Even within the context of Morrison's run on the character Quire was a traumatized teen pushed over the edge by Kick, which was a sentient virus that caused aggression and conflict and free of the drug/virus's influence he was a future Phoenix host in one of the windows where the Phoenix Force was depicted as something more than just unchecked aggression/conflict itself.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Teenage Fansub posted:

Kate's bf from Thompson's Hawkeye. This is his first thing as a hero.

Read that comic, if you haven't.

Ah. When I first saw the art, I thought it might be a Rage redesign.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Yeah, but even with all that extenuation, he still lead a hate mob through the streets jumping and killing random civilians, at least one of whom he personally murdered. It's a big jump from that to him being a snarky rabble-rousing teen again.

Plus, the trauma in question is just him learning that he was adopted. It's a deal, but it isn't a good justification for a drug-fuelled murder spree.

Covok
May 27, 2013

I never read the comic where he ran hate mob so all I know about him is what I read in Wolverine and the X-Men.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Covok posted:

I never read the comic where he ran hate mob so all I know about him is what I read in Wolverine and the X-Men.

A lot of Morrison's run is best treated as if it never happened, so you're ahead of the game.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

To be extra fair I checked the issue in question just now, and it is ambiguous whether or not Quentin killed the guy he attacked. His gang killed other people under his leadership, though.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

Cabbit posted:

A lot of Morrison's run is best treated as if it never happened, so you're ahead of the game.

Well, Marvel already treats his X-Men run as something that only partially happened at best.

Morrison has this talent for consistently making interesting thematic points mixed with fun/weird adventures but either going off the deep end or outright derailing a couple of characters in the process.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
After rereading the gwenpool issues after she gains her powers, bad guys can sidestep getting pushed out through magic and stuff, she can't permanently KO any big name characters, and they got pretty creative with the batroc heist team up, so as long as Kelly does it right I don't think she'll be too op for a team book

Plus I mean, between modok team, Hawkeye and ghost rider, and blade she's spent more time on teams than not

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

The thing is that Quentin was invented for the arc where he starts a mutant skinhead gang. It's not derailment - it's his debut. Everything after that is character development and rehabilitation.

There are obvious hooks left for later writers to bring Quentin back (the arc ends with him undergoing a secondary mutation and ascending into a higher plane of existence as his telepathy expands), it's just always struck me as a weird choice that the "back" they wanted to bring him was towards his status quo for about half an issue, one issue after his introduction, before he became a violent skinhead and then turned into a being of pure thought.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Actually, looking at that team, it's rather weak in terms of dealing with mystical threats so Gwen best get Sarah in too. Cover all bases and that.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Hawkeyes have arrows for every occasion

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Lump me in with the "can't stand Quire" group, but I love Gwen, Kate, Clint and America so this poo poo looks great.

Plus Kelly Thompson rules.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

Android Blues posted:

The thing is that Quentin was invented for the arc where he starts a mutant skinhead gang. It's not derailment - it's his debut. Everything after that is character development and rehabilitation.

Yes, you're right in that case. I think the statement still applies in more general terms though.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I don't mind that Quire continues to be brought back and reinvented after his whole Riot at Xavier's arc. I do mind that he continues to be brought back and reinvented as an irritating shithead and that everyone just lets him get away with it in spite of the increasing amount of irritating shithead-y things he keeps doing. I mean, sometimes it does work; there's been some fun stuff with Quentin, no lie. Other times though, it's "whose dick at Marvel keeps getting licked for this mofo to keep popping up in as many books as he does?"

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

https://twitter.com/JoeQuesada/status/997243902787809280

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I guess we're ignoring the broken legacy covers and sending Hydra t-shirts to comic shops to promote nazicap

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I liked Quentin Quire a lot as a Grant Morrison villain, and I think revisiting that storyline in 2018 might show it to be more prescient than anybody realized, with its angry white young antagonist parlaying personal trauma into a violent political agenda based on refashioning the thoroughly aestheticized and tired iconography of the 1940s into a travesty of the new and radical. He's a good midpoint stop on the thematic arc Morrison was building up throughout.

I guess I differ from most of this thread in that I only really started to grind my teeth about him when he came back from the dead as just a snide little guy with a heart of gold. Yeah Morrison's ending for him gestured broadly at messianic redemption, but that's because all the stuff he wrote in that era was about messianic redemption, and Quire 2.0 mostly just runs around being rude and unfunny.

To put it this way, Quire 1.0 worked as a villain because he spoke to a real fear then and now-- of an alienated student, just smart enough to be angry and hopeless, capable not only of startling violence, but of rallying others to startling violence, and the even deeper fear that the ideology you've tried to pass on to the next generation is a dead end. I don't know what Quire 2.0 is supposed to do-- just be a pill? Make cheap shots at millenials? I don't know.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

BrianWilly posted:

I don't mind that Quire continues to be brought back and reinvented after his whole Riot at Xavier's arc. I do mind that he continues to be brought back and reinvented as an irritating shithead and that everyone just lets him get away with it in spite of the increasing amount of irritating shithead-y things he keeps doing. I mean, sometimes it does work; there's been some fun stuff with Quentin, no lie. Other times though, it's "whose dick at Marvel keeps getting licked for this mofo to keep popping up in as many books as he does?"
Quentin's Custom Van

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

What

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Codependent Poster posted:

Lump me in with the "can't stand Quire" group, but I love Gwen, Kate, Clint and America so this poo poo looks great.

Plus Kelly Thompson rules.

:same:

This looks great.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Edge & Christian posted:

Quentin's Custom Van

Jesus P.T Barnum it's been probably a decade since I even thought about Achewood existing outside of the Great Outdoor Fight.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

I never saw Quire as having a heart of gold at all, he's an utter poo poo who is, approximately as smart as he thinks he is, but not nearly as capable or clever. Nor is he a complete sociopath, he's arrogant and awful but he's also capable of great acts of empathy and humanity, sometimes despite himself. That's what makes him interesting to me, he's a hero but that doesn't make him pleasant or likable, but he still has that thread of decency at his core. My guess is that some of his awfulness is performative, or at least has become so, because that's the niche he refuses to move away from. In any event I'm really interested in seeing him outside the X-milieu and I have full confidence in Thompson's ability to write him.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Quire was good in Morrison and Aaron’s work. If he’s been bad in other stuff it is probably like the last 15 years of complete X-Men garbage where everyone is written badly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I don’t like Quentin, but I’ll buy whatever he’s in because he’s really entertaining. He’s not a good person,and that’s what’s great.

• Locked thread