Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

Miko posted:

Wowzahs. Do you like watching college sports at all? Or just pro leagues?

During the season I do watch NCAA football. There's something comforting about having it on in the background even if I'm not fully paying attention. Kinda like listening to baseball on the radio even though I don't follow baseball..

I just...don't have that indoctrination that other Gators seem to have and it bothers me sometimes. I lived in Fletcher friggen hall for chrissakes (it's basically spitting distance from Ben Hill Griffin stadium)...I was one of those kids jumping on cars when we beat FSU at home the year after our 96 championship year and yet...today...nothing.

Nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spork o Doom
May 31, 2011
I've been a Bills fan now for around 28 years since the mid eighties. IIRC correctly the game I went to with my father when visiting the states, which damned me to this life, was during Marv's first full year.

Since it's been available I have bought gamepass, so I'm a committed fan, but this last year I was so depressed by the Bills sucking the life out of things that I basically stopped watching any football after week 10 for the first time in all those years. I've actually been considering just giving it up and supporting the Seahawks or some other NFC powerhouse.

In fact I was so despondent about the Bills odds of improving on their lot that I nearly bought a Jaguars jersey because at least they're kind of the London team over the next couple of years. That is a dark place let me tell you.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Spork o Doom posted:

I've been a Bills fan now for around 28 years since the mid eighties. IIRC correctly the game I went to with my father when visiting the states, which damned me to this life, was during Marv's first full year.

Since it's been available I have bought gamepass, so I'm a committed fan, but this last year I was so depressed by the Bills sucking the life out of things that I basically stopped watching any football after week 10 for the first time in all those years. I've actually been considering just giving it up and supporting the Seahawks or some other NFC powerhouse.

In fact I was so despondent about the Bills odds of improving on their lot that I nearly bought a Jaguars jersey because at least they're kind of the London team over the next couple of years. That is a dark place let me tell you.

Don't be a Seahawks fan. 2011 was the last time it was acceptable to jump on that bandwagon.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Don't be a Seahawks fan. You seem like too nice of a guy

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Spork o Doom posted:

If I were you I might go the American soccer fan route and start rooting for players you like instead of teams for a bit.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Henchman of Santa posted:

If I were you I might go the American soccer fan route and start rooting for players you like instead of teams for a bit.

Dude. We just told him not to cheer for the Seahawks.

smuggler
Apr 23, 2007
INSULTING THE PACKERS IS NOT AGAINST FORUM RULES, MORON

Follow the Rams. They are trending toward playoff status and they have a really good defense.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Follow the Chiefs, that way you never have to watch football past the first playoff games of the season.

only temporary
Sep 3, 2006

smuggler posted:

Follow the Rams. They are trending toward playoff status and they have a really good defense.

Don't do this, you will only end up more disappointed. Stick with the Bills, it'll pay off eventually.

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Dr. Whet Faartz would like to know if this smells funny to you?

only temporary posted:

Don't do this, you will only end up more disappointed. Stick with the Bills, it'll pay off eventually.

When has this ever been true?

Spork o Doom
May 31, 2011
Aha it's fine. The dark depression of '13 aside I'm sure I'll be back predicting improvement in August and be fully behind them again. I god drat hope we see a big step forward in Manuel though. I feel like with an ever so slightly better offence that actually gave the D some time off we really could be okay. At least ok enough in the AFC.

Are meaningful games in December (for the Bills) so much to ask for?

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

Jaguars might not be such a bad idea if you're thinking of switching loyalties. Their coach looks like he might be pretty good, they'll probably get a young quarterback in the draft this year, play in a weak division, and have a crazy wide receiver to get you entertaining headlines. I say you get yourself a Sen'Derrick Marks jersey and never look back.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Give up on NFL entirely and start following college football. The closest team in absolute distance may be Boston College, and no one can accuse you of bandwagoning them

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Chichevache posted:

Don't be a Seahawks fan. 2011 was the last time it was acceptable to jump on that bandwagon.

I thought it was 2012 and that's what all the flags were about.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
Honestly never pick a team that's won the bowl in the past 3-4 years or you'll look like the worst bandwagoner.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Febreeze posted:

Honestly never pick a team that's won the bowl in the past 3-4 years or you'll look like the worst bandwagoner.

I just realized I've been giving my buddy poo poo for 3 years for hopping on the Patriots bandwagon, and it's been waaaay longer since they won one. Thanks Giants!

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l
Even if you keep cheering for the Bills and they win the superbowl next year people will just assume you were a bandwagoner anyway. Just pick an NFC team to be your second team to start cheering for when the Bills get elimainated every year and you'll at least have some modicum of happiness.

Or hell pick a CFL or NCAA team to go with your NFL team.

Or spend your Sundays birding.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

Thaddius the Large posted:

I just realized I've been giving my buddy poo poo for 3 years for hopping on the Patriots bandwagon, and it's been waaaay longer since they won one. Thanks Giants!

The pats have gone to 3 AFC championship games, lost two super bowls (one as the former greatest offense of all time) and generally compete well every season since they last won one. You should keep giving him poo poo.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Febreeze posted:

The pats have gone to 3 AFC championship games, lost two super bowls (one as the former greatest offense of all time) and generally compete well every season since they last won one. You should keep giving him poo poo.

Oh I know, my warm and fuzzy feeling was more based on remembering the two specific losses, the Pats have at least a decade or two of spectacular failure before new fans don't get called bandwagoners.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I believed Ben was innocent for two years until I realized "Now that I think about it, he does look like a rapist"

I did not care much for football until 2006 (I was 13 at the time) when the Steelers won the Super Bowl and it took me a long time to get from that fair weather fan status to "normal" football fan status.

I did not think James Harrison was dirty and thought the league was out to get the Steelers because they didn't want STILLERS BLUECOLLAR LUNCHPAIL FOOTBALL in the league anymore.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
If you wear a jersey anywhere but a game or even a bar (stretching it) as a grown adult I think you're kinda pathetic

smuggler
Apr 23, 2007
INSULTING THE PACKERS IS NOT AGAINST FORUM RULES, MORON

I have one jersey (I used to have a Chmura when I was ten but I destroyed it in a fit of anger when I was like 15), which is a 1994 Sterling Sharpe and it's framed on the wall in my office. :downs:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

AAA DOLFAN posted:

If you wear a jersey anywhere but a game or even a bar (stretching it) as a grown adult I think you're kinda pathetic

What if you wear it around the day after the Super Bowl?

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

I've been wearing Lions or Spartans-branded polos instead of jerseys. I don't feel like as much of a slob and they're acceptable in some business-casual settings.

This, in itself, is another skeleton.

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

If you've never answered the door for trick-or-treaters on Halloween in a football jersey and a mullet wig because that's all you could be assed to put together then that's your problem :colbert:

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Anals of History posted:

I've been wearing Lions or Spartans-branded polos instead of jerseys. I don't feel like as much of a slob and they're acceptable in some business-casual settings.

This, in itself, is another skeleton.

This is what I wear to games. Well that and the stench of pure shame, which comes free as a dolphins fan.

I honestly understand the argument for wearing jerseys I really do I just can't take an adult who wears one, say, casual Friday at an office, seriously.

I'm aware I'm a huge dick.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
What if I wear an oversized Ndamukong Suh jersey while I stream games on my computer in my dorm room?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I have no problem with people wearing an Atlanta Falcons jersey to their sister's wedding.

I also have no problem with custom jerseys.

Anyone that successfully ordered a Falcon's jersey with MEXICO on it should be given the key to their city.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

The most emotionally invested I've been for my team in the past 10 years was when Bruce Gradkowski rallied against the Steelers in 2009.

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

I hate DVOA because my team always shits the bed in the rankings. Even when they win games.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

only temporary posted:

Hello time traveler from the 1990's.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I wear a bootleg Curtis Enis to fantasy football drafting events and an orange Kyle Orton to weddings and all formal functions, unless it's black tie and then I go with a home Grossman.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Home Grossman has been my nickname for 16 years

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

For my first two years of high school, we had a pretty nice few years of Texas football. Bi-district champs, getting a few rounds into the offseason, that sort of thing. My final two years we didn't win a single game. We never really even came close. That losing streak continued a year or so after I left, and we were starting to approach some kind of record.

I was legitimately more sad when I heard we won a game than when we lost that first one years before.

PS I used to like the Cowboys, sorry.

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Henchman of Santa posted:

What if I wear an oversized Ndamukong Suh jersey while I stream games on my computer in my dorm room?

I do this but in my living room.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Despite being a Patriots fan since the days of Bill Parcells and Drew Bledsoe, I did not watch the 2012 Super Bowl because I knew that the Patriots would find some way to blow it in the last few minutes.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I still consider AJ inferior to Chad.

I would probably be happy if Gaethers had another season ender in the preseason.

Boo This Man
Mar 25, 2008

I hate my choice for a college football team and want to switch. That qualifies for a skeleton, don't it?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
You should root for whoever you want to root for, it is a dumb game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Unless you went to a college with a D1-A football team. Then you're a bad person if you don't root for them.

• Locked thread