Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Inzombiac posted:

I like the show Hot Ones on YouTube so much that I bought two bottles of their sauce.

...still has yet to arrive.

the original hot ones sauce is outstanding and one of my favorite sauces

i'm not going to buy the last dab because gently caress that. i season my chili with a skewer dipped in blair's and thats enough for me.

i've eaten a dried reaper before and i literally thought i was going to loving die

everyday is valentina for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Not sure about Pepper X, but the world's hottest pepper as of now is actually the Dragon's Breath, a pepper grown in Wales that is said to be so hot it can kill you. :eng101:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon%27s_Breath_(chili_pepper)

The guy who made the Carolina Reaper had Pepper X waiting as a super secret pepper for when someone else tried to claim they had the hottest pepper. Once Dragon's Breath came out he debuted Pepper X. Apparently there is a whole underground pepper cabal trying to kill the world with hotness.

Navin Johnson
Mar 1, 2016

numberoneposter posted:

it says HOT right on the bottle

not COLD sauce

If you put it int the fridge it serves a dual purpose during use.

And........

Ha ha that's funny. You made a play on words.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

hot sauce should be brought up to a rolling boil before serving

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

IXCE posted:

This is what I use. It's cheap and almost taste home made.

This stuff is surprisingly good

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

numberoneposter posted:

hot sauce should be brought up to a rolling boil before serving

It's all about Luke Warm Sauce now. :munch:

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Most LA style hot sauces > Mexican style hot sauce (which is still quite good) > Tabasco classic

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Tom Gorman posted:

the original hot ones sauce is outstanding and one of my favorite sauces

i'm not going to buy the last dab because gently caress that. i season my chili with a skewer dipped in blair's and thats enough for me.

i've eaten a dried reaper before and i literally thought i was going to loving die

everyday is valentina for me

Yeah the hot ones original sauce has a pretty great taste and isn't particularly hot. I like it just wish it wasn't expensive compared to a bottle of Valentina or cholula.

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo
I got a friend in Salt Lake City who makes Caribbean Hot Sauce. That poo poo cures the common cold and stomach viruses, burns it right out!

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Is that the same as Jamaican Gravy?

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

...and the pitch! posted:

Is that the same as Jamaican Gravy?

No hers is more a traditional "hot sauce" but it does look similar. Her family is from Barbados so it's not strictly Jamaican, but it's drat good. If you look up Van Kwartel Flavor Sciences you can see what it's like.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Scotch Bonnet peppers are what I think of when I think of Caribbean hot sauces. :grin:

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
I think once you start talking about scoville scales for peppers/hot sauce you've lost your way off the path. Heat is nice but it should come with flavor, there's no need to turn it into a pissing contest.

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

It's really hard to beat Frank's. It has solid flavour and heat, and you can temper it with butter to make a mean chicken sauce.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

My virgin palette review:
There's an import shop where I can find some stuff, so I got Frank's and put it on my omlet just now.
It's a lot milder than you guys led me to expect, comparable to Tabasco.
It's low in initial flavour but got an interesting aftertaste.
It's got an advantage on Tabasco in that it doesn't taste as vinegary.
Imported price: about 4.2$ for a 5oz bottle.

By popular demand fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Sep 21, 2017

Gay Weed Dad
Jul 12, 2016

cool dude, flyin' high
Frank's is overwhelmed by the taste of vinegar, it reminds me more of a wing sauce in that regard

Gay Weed Dad fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Sep 21, 2017

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

I found it less so than Tabasco, but my sauce of choice is still Sriracha.
I'll sample some more stuff in the coming weeks.

E: some local condiments:
zhug:
I found every single type I tasted to be almost flavourless and only as hot as Tabasco.

Harissa:
Flavourful but again, mild in heat.
I sometimes use this instead of tomato puree in sauces.

Also: any and all pickled peppers around here (except jalapenos, which started recently) are even more vinegary and flavourless then you might imagine.

By popular demand fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Sep 21, 2017

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

there's a store out of Beloit, Wisconsin that makes their own sauces and all of the ones I've tried are pretty drat good flavor-wise and the heat is well-balanced. here's a couple of them

if you just want heat

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

I want to kill you and steal your identity.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

MORE HOT SAUCE CHAT

The Hot Sauce tread in GWS doesn't get posted in very often. :(

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

My rear end hurts today because I ate a ghost pepper yesterday and now I hate hot sauce and spicy foods.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

[quote="“Gay Weed Dad”" post="“476612054”"]
Frank’s is overwhelmed by the taste of vinegar, it reminds me more of a wing sauce in that regard
[/quote]

Buffalo sauce is franks with butter, pepper and garlic (and some more vinegar usually lol).

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I grew Arbols and they don't really taste like anything oh well.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

official hot sauce of gbs

Was scrolling through the thread and there it is. This should be in any hot sauce fans collection. It's my daily sauce.

The orange pulp version is very good on eggs as well.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

Kaddish posted:

Was scrolling through the thread and there it is. This should be in any hot sauce fans collection. It's my daily sauce.

The orange pulp version is very good on eggs as well.

I bought a variety pack of them from amazon and they're all pretty good with my favorite being the green habanero. Sadly I actually prefer Melinda's to the normal Marie Sharps even knowing that Melindas was Marie Sharp's sauce that was effectively stolen by the distributor. It just seems a little better balanced with some extra flavors.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Jymmybob posted:

I bought a variety pack of them from amazon and they're all pretty good with my favorite being the green habanero. Sadly I actually prefer Melinda's to the normal Marie Sharps even knowing that Melindas was Marie Sharp's sauce that was effectively stolen by the distributor. It just seems a little better balanced with some extra flavors.

gently caress they even stole the carrot base. I'll have to try it.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

My white whale of hot sauces was a bottle i once bought at my local supermarket 4 years ago, was the tastiest drat hot sauce i ever tried, and went to get more on my weekly shopping trip and it was gone.

Never to be seen again.

And my dumb broke brain can never remember the name of it, just the bottle. It had a dumb rip-off picture of the Jaws poster and it was called something Some Guy's Name something Malt or Malted...

Now I am a broken man, crying tears of shattered memories onto inferior brands like Nandos and Melindas.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

blugu64 posted:

This was more then six months and several bottles ago. I have a problem.

yeah you do have a problem. this is all common poo poo found everywhere, have some adventure

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

that's not even organic Heinz! just a bunch of corn syrup. shame, shame, shame!

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Virgin palette review:
Yesterday at a mexican restaurant I got to taste la costena green and red habanero sauces.
What a vinegary mess, the sauces tasted identical and had nothing of the heat that habanero has.
Looking at the ingredients it makes sense, the first three are Water, Carrot, Vinegar.
Conclusion: garbage sauce for babies.

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger
I don't know about this thread, but anyone hanging around me after I eat hot sauce is most definitely getting gassed.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Kaddish posted:

gently caress they even stole the carrot base. I'll have to try it.

Have some Melindas on the way!

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I'll be sure to keep this thread informed, stay tuned!

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

The Try Me sauces aren't hot at all but I like the flavor. Cajun Sunshine and Tiger sauce.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
anyone serious about Ethics in Hot Sauce Consumption should always buy Marie Sharps over Melindas. any of ya'll who aren't aware of the history of these two brands, just look it up. cut throat gangster poo poo. Marie landed on her feet though.

anyone who likes Crystal should try the "CHEFS RECIPE HOT SAUCE" which they sell on their website. it's slightly thicker and has a garlicky taste. my doomsday bunker will have a room entirely dedicated to storage of jugs of Crystal hot sauce and black label Valentina.

...and the pitch! posted:

The Try Me sauces aren't hot at all but I like the flavor. Cajun Sunshine and Tiger sauce.

I buy Tiger Sauce by the gallon.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

uber_stoat posted:

I buy Tiger Sauce by the gallon.

It's yummy.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

uber_stoat posted:

. my doomsday bunker will have a room entirely dedicated to storage of jugs of Crystal hot sauce and black label Valentina.

That's a legit good idea, btw. It's wise to stock up on a desirable and easily-traded commodity. You can be the hot-sauce man of your post-apocalyptic midwestern town and use hotsauce to trade for blue jeans and bike parts.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Tiger sauce is fine but too sweet for many/most applications. I've only had the original though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berth ell pup
Mar 20, 2017

I am a business magnet.
That is a really good idea since even if you do prep you probably don’t think about how much you’ll miss flavor until it’s too late.

who run hotsaucetown?

• Locked thread