Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

3 DONG HORSE posted:

It's so bad I want Brock to start but that'll just turn stupid fumbles into stupid interceptions. I'm not sure that's better...

i agree, the broncos should sign Kain Colter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Leon Einstein posted:

Packers defense is so bad. Capers needs to go. They've been bad for the vast majority of his tenure.

They forced two picks and got zero points off of them. The defense is average and the offense looks like it's just Aaron Jones

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!
Elway should be forced to publicly apologise to Tebow and pay him whatever he demands

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Homestar Runner posted:

Elway should be forced to publicly apologise to Tebow and pay him whatever he demands

I support this

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

Blarfk posted:

I am afraid I disagree. Here we go Steelers.

Here.

We.

Go.

Pittsburgh's

Going

To the

Super Bowl.

Where they'll somehow lose to the Giants, because this is a team that can beat the undefeated Chiefs and lose to a team that generated 83 yards of offense (plus a 70 yard pass) in its most recent game.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it
I approve of the new title, thanks.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Finally figured out why Adam Gase calls those stupid super short passes for the Dolphins. Look at McCown's stats. On passes at or behind the line, he was 9 of 9 for 94 yards. So, in practice, I'm sure it works every time because the Dolphins D suck at defending it. Maybe instead of thinking it's a good offensive play, recognize it's a terrible defense instead.

And, I looked at our stats on those plays: Over 6 games (not counting today's passes by Cutler, they only show Moore's), we have attempted 29 passes at or behind the line, completed 22 for a whopping 59 yards. So, just over 2 per attempt, and 2.7 per completion. Jesus, Gase is a play calling moron.

torgeaux fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Oct 23, 2017

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

WHOOPS posted:

i didn’t see any of the game but, uh, woof.

https://twitter.com/joshnorris/status/922222582069448706

nah but see he's better than Colin Kaepernick tho

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Flikken posted:

That’s incredible.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Alaois posted:

nah but see he's better than Colin Kaepernick tho

But, HE KNOWS THE SYSTEM!!!

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

torgeaux posted:

Finally figured out why Adam Gase calls those stupid super short passes for the Dolphins. Look at McCown's stats. On passes at or behind the line, he was 9 of 9 for 94 yards. So, in practice, I'm sure it works every time because the Dolphins D suck at defending it. Maybe instead of thinking it's a good offensive play, recognize it's a terrible defense instead.

And, I looked at our stats on those plays: Over 6 games (not counting today's passes by Cutler, they only show Moore's), we have attempted 29 passes at or behind the line, completed 22 for a whopping 59 yards. So, just over 2 per attempt, and 2.7 per completion. Jesus, Gase is a play calling moron.

It's because the offensive line isn't very good and Cutler is bad at football.

Last year we averaged 6.9 Y/A which was 6th in the NFL.

He's working with serious limitations with Cutler and the OL.

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

Packers are pulling a 2011 Colts. Watch them go Favre - Rodgers - God, literally.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
Plus short, easy completions get a QB into a rhythm and it helps set up the long ball later on in the game, when the defense has to defend that stuff + Ajayi. Miami has a so-so o-line at best (good tackles and mediocre guards, right?) and Cutler wasn't familiar with the Fins' receivers due to coming in so late in the offseason, so it made sense to throw short a bunch and play conservatively in the passing game.

If Cutler can't go and Moore has to keep starting, I suspect they're gonna start taking more deep shots downfield, since that's what he does best and he's more familiar with the receivers the Dolphins have on the roster.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Flikken posted:

I almost went with "10,363. But...the future refused to change"

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Ehud posted:

It's because the offensive line isn't very good and Cutler is bad at football.

Last year we averaged 6.9 Y/A which was 6th in the NFL.

He's working with serious limitations with Cutler and the OL.

On passes at the line of scrimmage? Or all passes? Because Gase did this to very little success last year with Tannehill, too.

torgeaux fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Oct 23, 2017

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

torgeaux posted:

That stupid rear end reasoning is why Elway signed Brock as backup. Should've promoted Sloter from the practice squad...

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Durandal1707 posted:

Plus short, easy completions get a QB into a rhythm and it helps set up the long ball later on in the game, when the defense has to defend that stuff + Ajayi. Miami has a so-so o-line at best (good tackles and mediocre guards, right?) and Cutler wasn't familiar with the Fins' receivers due to coming in so late in the offseason, so it made sense to throw short a bunch and play conservatively in the passing game.

If Cutler can't go and Moore has to keep starting, I suspect they're gonna start taking more deep shots downfield, since that's what he does best and he's more familiar with the receivers the Dolphins have on the roster.

They're not getting a high enough completion rate to make it that good. Since we have an established trend, it lets the secondary play shorter, which also screws the running game.

And as noted above, this is a gase thing, he did it to little success last year, too, with Tannehill.

torgeaux fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Oct 23, 2017

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

torgeaux posted:

On passes at the line of scrimmage? Or all passes?

On all passes.

The point is that Gase' desired offensive scheme isn't what we are seeing this year, as evidenced by Miami's y/a and volume of long pass plays in 2016. THAT is what he wants, but Tannehill is out, we are struggling to pass protect the less athletic, old QB, and even if we protect Cutler he sucks at throwing the ball down the field.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Ehud posted:

On all passes.

The point is that Gase' desired offensive scheme isn't what we are seeing this year, as evidenced by Miami's y/a and volume of long pass plays in 2016. THAT is what he wants, but Tannehill is out, we are struggling to pass protect the less athletic, old QB, and even if we protect Cutler he sucks at throwing the ball down the field.

But, that stat isn't meaningful in discussing Gase's two season tendency to throw LOS passes to no avail.

He did this with Tannehill all last season, so it is his desired offensive scheme. He may not be playing the ball he wants overall, but this isn't new this season. You and I discussed the same thing last year.
Our opponents, however, kill us with those same plays. The connection, to me, is that in practice, those plays work well, because we defend them so poorly, and he has yet to realize that a, we have a known tendency that is exploited by defenses, and b, our defense is just bad at that which is why everyone does it against us. (This is mostly hyperbole. I assume he's not actually that dense.)

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

torgeaux posted:

Knowing the system is great, but any QB that gets to the NFL can learn a system in a week or two.

The Panthers once called up Vinny Testaverde out of retirement because they ran out of QBs, and he was acceptable. Granted, the 2007 Panthers offense was either Run The Dang Ball or Throw To Steve Smith so it wasn't a complicated playbook,

Also that season was the first appearance of The Matt Moore ExperienceTM and I would warn the DolFans about the moments of glory before the crushing fall, but he's been there for years so they are used to it. I also wish the Dolphins the best because gently caress the Patriots.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

torgeaux posted:

But, that stat isn't meaningful in discussing Gase's two season tendency to throw LOS passes to no avail.

He did this with Tannehill all last season, so it is his desired offensive scheme. He may not be playing the ball he wants overall, but this isn't new this season. You and I discussed the same thing last year.
Our opponents, however, kill us with those same plays. The connection, to me, is that in practice, those plays work well, because we defend them so poorly, and he has yet to realize that a, we have a known tendency that is exploited by defenses, and b, our defense is just bad at that which is why everyone does it against us. (This is mostly hyperbole. I assume he's not actually that dense.)

I don't think we attempt them that much more than most teams, but I don't have a way to easily find depth of target statistics.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

The Panthers ran like seven plays in 2007

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

CannonFodder posted:

Knowing the system is great, but any QB that gets to the NFL can learn a system in a week or two.

The Panthers once called up Vinny Testaverde out of retirement because they ran out of QBs, and he was acceptable. Granted, the 2007 Panthers offense was either Run The Dang Ball or Throw To Steve Smith so it wasn't a complicated playbook,

Also that season was the first appearance of The Matt Moore ExperienceTM and I would warn the DolFans about the moments of glory before the crushing fall, but he's been there for years so they are used to it. I also wish the Dolphins the best because gently caress the Patriots.

Matt Moore is a great backup. He can come in the game because of injury and keep the team on track and upbeat. He also is not a starter, can't be a starter, and the fins are screwed if he's the QB for 10 games. Of course, Cutler isn't really a starter anymore, either.

Gase is a good coach, I think the best we've had for years. But, I can sit and predict his play calls week in and week out with the kind of accuracy that one must assume the Pats are going to exceed easily. And, we are now weak, and have been weak, at short/middle of the field pass defense and were all last year too. So, we promoted the guy who failed at that last year to run the whole shebang.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Ehud posted:

I don't think we attempt them that much more than most teams, but I don't have a way to easily find depth of target statistics.

I can look at game to game this year via the NextGen stats on NFL.com, and we don't do it more than others, we just do it badly and our opponents do it well. When something just keeps giving you under 3 yards per success (and less when you count the failures) and has high risk for ints turning into TDs, you have to ask why we keep doing it. I think that Denver did it well when he was there, and Chicago was okay at it, and we just haven't succeeded the way he wants. But, c'mon, 25 games now, and it's never had a breakout game.

NFL.com's nextgen stats for last year show us near the bottom of the league in yards in the air per pass attempt at 6.5. And, near the bottom at yards intended per attempt at 8.5.

Landry is one of the lowest "targeted yard distance" wide receivers, his numbers are average for a tight end. Last year, his average target distance was 7, in line with league TEs, and this year it's 6.6, so you're right, it's a bit of a drop off, but he's in the same position league wise as last year, in the bottom of receivers.

torgeaux fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Oct 23, 2017

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
The Seahawks are 4-2 but I can't say I've felt particularly good about any of our victories so far. In general, we just look worse than the Rams despite having beaten them, and we are just committing a bunch of dumb mistakes all over the field on both sides of the ball.

Despite Houston's injuries on defense, I think next week will be a very good litmus test to tell whether we're really in contention.

Manoueverable fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Oct 23, 2017

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

FizFashizzle posted:

The Panthers ran like seven plays in 2007
Hand off to Foster
Hand off to Williams
Surprise hand off to Hoover to keep the defense guessing
Throw to Smith
Throw to King for *line to gain +1 and fall down*

I got 5.

edit: after looking up the season on https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/car/2007.htm I see that Drew Carter and Keary Colbert also caught a good amount of passes.

Man, whatever happened to Drew Carter?

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Oct 23, 2017

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

CannonFodder posted:

Hand off to Foster
Hand off to Williams
Surprise hand off to Hoover to keep the defense guessing
Throw to Smith
Throw to King for *line to gain +1 and fall down*

I got 5.

edit: after looking up the season on https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/car/2007.htm I see that Drew Carter and Keary Colbert also caught a good amount of passes.

Man, whatever happened to Drew Carter?

tore his knee up in oakland, never recovered

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

FizFashizzle posted:

tore his knee up in oakland, never recovered

:(

PS: gently caress the Patriots.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Falcons offense went up in smoke

or fog or something.

what the hell Atlanta, you have all the same players on O, just loving call better plays, it isn't hard

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
Didn’t see this level of performance coming, kinda thought we’d get outgunned. Glad to be wrong and glad to get to watch this team play this dumb sport every week. Yay

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

just wanna pop in to say HOLY poo poo that place is empty and the only people i see are broncos fans

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Chinatown posted:

just wanna pop in to say HOLY poo poo that place is empty and the only people i see are broncos fans

The Chargers are an experiment in creating a team with no home games

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Barudak posted:

The Chargers are an experiment in creating a team with no home games

A test case for the London expansion.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The Jags are, unironically at the moment, London's team and they actually play there consistently well.

The Chargers should be Mexico Cities team.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.
Fire Sark. Bring back Shanahan.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Don’t think that second one is happening my man. Probably not the first one either.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Don’t think that second one is happening my man. Probably not the first one either.

What if I ask nicely?

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

weird Asian candy posted:

Fire Sark. Bring back Shanahan.

steve sarkisian is trash my dude

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Raku posted:

steve sarkisian is trash my dude

That seems to be the case :smith:

He has ruined one of the best offenses in the league in less than half a season of work!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

SKULL.GIF posted:

I've seen what happens when specific parts of the team start blaming other parts of the team in Overwatch and other team multiplayer games.

The Colts are done.

Briskett is hanzo main

• Locked thread