Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Torrannor posted:

I have no idea how combat shakes out, how important which spells are or what weapons are strong, so I'm not voting on classes. I do like that individual characters have access to different spells. Could be a precursor to Three Houses maybe giving every character magic, even if they are knights/fighters or the like. Unless Gaiden already had the individual magics?

Yeah, you can also see Combat Arts in the menus for Three Houses, which are a thing that will soon be covered in this LP. From just the E3 trailer, it looks like Echoes may have ended up being a testbed of sorts for concepts that are going to be in Three Houses. To be honest, I'm not sure how I feel about making that the norm for Fire Emblem. It feels like the series is slowly morphing into Tactics Ogre/FFT, minus the part where every battle is an interminable slog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

EclecticTastes posted:

Yeah, you can also see Combat Arts in the menus for Three Houses, which are a thing that will soon be covered in this LP. From just the E3 trailer, it looks like Echoes may have ended up being a testbed of sorts for concepts that are going to be in Three Houses. To be honest, I'm not sure how I feel about making that the norm for Fire Emblem. It feels like the series is slowly morphing into Tactics Ogre/FFT, minus the part where every battle is an interminable slog.

Revelations had the last part down.

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

Funktastic posted:

Tobin: Archer
Gray: Merc
Kliff: Mage
Faye: Cleric

The normal, boring choices. I made Faye a pegasus knight in my original run, so it'd be nice to see if she's more useful as a cleric.
I'll go with this as my vote.

One question I had:

Tae posted:

Faye (Cleric)

Nosferatu: Free, 0 mt, 1-2 range, 60 hit, 2 wt, Absorbs HP equal to damage dealt to enemy
Nosferatu means that Faye can attack even when she's a Cleric, correct?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Technically yes, but Nosferatu's hit rate is awful and you can't really improve it easily.

I'm ending votes now and counting it up. You'll see the results next update.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

Saladin Rising posted:

I'll go with this as my vote.

One question I had:

Nosferatu means that Faye can attack even when she's a Cleric, correct?

Yep.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Tae posted:

Technically yes, but Nosferatu's hit rate is awful and you can't really improve it easily.

Unless you're Faye, who gets +5/10/20 hit by standing near her stalkee.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Tae posted:

I'm ending votes now and counting it up. You'll see the results next update.

Thankfully, Faye in particular has her ludicrously absurd +20% to-hit bonus from a certain support to boost Nosferatu to effectively broken to-hit levels.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Lord Koth posted:

Thankfully, Faye in particular has her ludicrously absurd +20% to-hit bonus from a certain support to boost Nosferatu to effectively broken to-hit levels.

The downside is that that same support gives enemies a small bonus to hit Faye back. As long as she can double, though, she'll usually get back any lost HP.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Promotion and side stuff

Gray becomes a Merc, gaining tremendous speed and a nifty cape. He goes from okay fighter to a second Alm essentially.

Tobin picks up the physical range part of combat for the team, and his speed is pretty good so far at +4 to the Archer's base.

Archers gain Bowrange +1 to bump up their range even further.

Faye becomes a second Cleric of the team, which breaks the game's difficulty in many ways.

Faye has decent HP and good defense to make her a weird tanky cleric, compared to Silque.

Kliff becomes arguably the best damage dealer on the team, with how pathetic most enemies are with resistance. He also gains a massive tick in HP, even more than Mercs.

Now let's do some base conversations. These are 1-on-1 supports between the character and Alm, and they update through story progression. It keeps the entire party more alive and active with input on the journey, which is a problem most FE games have.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xy-COFwq5FA

The school in town that I went to was closed because of the war.
At first, I was glad to leave that place, return to the village, and kick back, but then I remembered how little there is to learn inside a small village.
I never hated learning, per se…
I just hated all the other hellish parts of attending school. The other students would hound me from sun’s rise to set.
Just a bunch of lonely little children desperate for friends…
…What? Don’t grin at me like that. I mean it.

…Me? Well, let’s just say I’m figuring things out.
Lukas keeps talking about kings and politics, but that does little for me.
I’m actually just in it for the gold. I have a family to feed, after all.
Well, that and I’m not about to let you outshine me!
Hey, don’t look at me like that. You don’t know what you’re up against!

Occasionally, shrines will contain these water fountains that permanently boost a stat by 1. Pity those that went here first before promoting.

The shrines here boost HP and speed. With how promotions work in SoV, it's best to give Alm the boosts since his promotion is relatively late and he's the one that will actually reach max level.

The team goes back to Ram Village to get some more base conversations and to complete a couple sidequests.

Just going into town with Pa for supplies used to be a fight for survival.
I worry a little place like Ram won’t last long in times like these. Honestly, I really don’t care one way or another about the kingdom.
I don’t have the kind of direction you do.
It’s more like I just have a nagging desire to do SOMETHING. So I thought if I joined the Deliverance, I might figure out what that is.

Have you grown accustomed to all the fighting yet?
…Ah, of course. I suppose I needn’t even have asked.
No matter how quiet a village you hail from, in the hands of a capable teacher, one can become every bit as strong as a royal knight. I find that thought quite inspiring.
I grew up in the borderlands as well, though not the same as yours.
Some in the Deliverance ridicule me for this, calling me a “backwater noble.” But unlike them, I rose above my origins on my own merits, and as a result, here I stand today.
You never can truly tell where life is going to take you, Alm.

So there's a pretty standard superiority divide between the nobles and the commoners. And unfortunately, that's still a factor among the Deliverance ranks, apparently.

Here's the old guy from before that wanted that wine. Which we have now.

Old Man: This aroma! Berry… Leather… Straw… This is Ram wine for true! Thank you. You’ve made an old man very happy this day, so you have. …Here. I was saving this to go with the wine, but I want you to have it.

We get Blue Cheese which heals for 40 HP, and some Renown. Renown is useless street pass rank stuff, so ignore it.

Here's another side-quest that opened up since visiting the shrine.

Indignant Woman: I ran from those brigands until my sides were ready to split. So undignified! And while I’m happy to be alive, those thugs stole everything I bought. Oh, I never should have gone at all! You MUST go teach those ruffians some manners. I’ll make it worth your while! They should really feel it, so make sure to give 20 of them a sound thrashing! That will teach them to mess with the likes of me. Hmph! They’re holed up in the awful Thieves’ Shrine. As if they’d be anywhere else!

Beat 20 bandits, get reward. Unfortunately, it's not grandfathered so you have to start from 0 when you start this.

Indignant Woman: Ooo! You look like someone who has just made 20 brigands’ lives miserable. I feel so much better already. Who knew revenge was so great?! Well, I told you I would make it worth your while, so here you go.

She gives a Fruit of Life, which raises the max HP by 2. Gonna save that for a rainy day.

She was a cleric as well. As for my father, I fear I never met him.
When I was little, my mother and I went on a long pilgrimage.
So you see, I’m quite used to grueling marches such as this. I can look at the sky and read the weather. I know which plants are edible.
So if you find yourself wanting for advice, simply say the word.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iR3_m2XXZkA

You always were braver than me. I remember when we were children and those knaves cornered us in the woods.
You came to our rescue like a knight in shining armor.
Ha ha. Look at you! You’re blushing! But it’s true.
You’ve always been my knight, you know? Then and now.

Supports

Tobin-Kliff

Hey, look who’s here!
What do you want, Tobin?
Don’t talk to me unless you need something.
Wow! What crawled up your armor?
You know, you’ve been testier than usual lately. Did I do something wrong?
Nope. You’re imagining it. Now how about we get back to fighting and forget all this small talk? *leaves*
What? …Hey! Come on, Kliff, would you just… *sigh*

Gray-Tobin

*sigh* It goes, I guess.
Uh, do you think you could sound a little less cheerful?
I don’t know, you tell me. Why did you have to—
Huh?
Ugh, never mind. Forget it. *leaves*
Wait, what did I do?

Faye-Silque

Oh, Silque! We seem to keep running into each other here on the battlefield.
Yes, well, I was hoping we could get to know each other better. There are so few of us women fighting alongside Sir Alm, after all.
And there are many things I wish to talk about that aren’t for the ears of men.
Well, um… I don’t think that kind of friendship is for me. Sorry.
Huh?
I’d rather spend time near Alm than stand about gossiping. No offense.
Anyway… Good luck, I guess! *leaves*

What in Mila’s name just happened?

Stats for the update

There's going to be a lot of incidental random battles offscreen, so I'll post updates in the stats for characters. This is mostly off of doing the 20 bandit sidequest.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

"gently caress you, Tobin" hey, now y'all fight better!

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

This update reminded me. Without spoiling anything, I'll mention that "natural" mages/clerics actually have pretty solid (for Echoes) Resistance growth, generally, and it's their Defense that's laughable, but because they start as Villagers, Kliff and Faye get Defense growth instead, which, as mentioned, makes them fairly tanky against non-mages (which should be their preferred targets, anyway). Gives them interesting niches to fill within those classes.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Bruceski posted:

"gently caress you, Tobin" hey, now y'all fight better!

ditto with "hey can we talk?" "nah gently caress you you're not alm"

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Speaking of character development, did you have any plans involving the prequel DLC? Because if you weren't planning to do it yourself, I could transcribe them whenever you think would be good.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Wait what? Your sword guys are wielding oranges while your bowman holds a sword?

Alm, master strategist.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Wait, Faye gets physic AND recover? Da gently caress, no wonder why she breaks the game hideously.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Keldulas posted:

Wait, Faye gets physic AND recover? Da gently caress, no wonder why she breaks the game hideously.

neither of those are the reason she's good as a cleric

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Double clerical shenanigans then? I notice that the other cleric has warp and a summon spell, both of which are expensive as poo poo. But if Faye can just heal her up...

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Keldulas posted:

Double clerical shenanigans then? I notice that the other cleric has warp and a summon spell, both of which are expensive as poo poo. But if Faye can just heal her up...

Try thinking creatively about what she could add to the table when combined with what the party can do.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Well, I mis-typed my initial sentence in that 'recover' should've been 'rescue', because Rescue can be broken as balls applied correctly. Given that Rescue here is just restricted by hit points rather than staff usage, I can see that getting hilarious. Plus I'm just a fan of Physic in general as per my original statement.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Keldulas posted:

Well, I mis-typed my initial sentence in that 'recover' should've been 'rescue', because Rescue can be broken as balls applied correctly. Given that Rescue here is just restricted by hit points rather than staff usage, I can see that getting hilarious. Plus I'm just a fan of Physic in general as per my original statement.

Yeah, that's what most people are getting at. This game lets you let loose with rescue and warp to your hearts content and just enjoy the broken, amazing fun.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Plus it sounds like she can Nosferatu to crazy town from all the hit bonuses

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Shieldy McMerc

Time to get back to the story, which we'll see an immediate spike in difficulty.

Storming of Ram valley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUpPlzrCYwg

Alm. Look up there.
Huh?
That uniform…!

There's a lone Mercenary perched at the top of the cliff above them.

That looks like a Zofian soldier.
Is he one of Desaix’s men?
Yes. We’ll see more of them, now that we’re nearing the Southern Outpost.
It seems Desaix’s men have hired brigands to hold the valley for them. This will be a tricky fight.
…I’m ready.

Take a closer look at that soldier. He’s armed with a leather shield. It’ll be difficult to land blows on him.
We could take the shield for ourselves… IF we manage to defeat him.

This guy's a doozy of an enemy. 13 speed is obscenely high and doubles everyone in our squad. He also hits hard, and more importantly takes very little damage with that Leather Shield that grants +3 defense.

As you saw with Ram Wine, green highlights means that the item drops after you defeat the enemy.

The strategy for this battle is to run up ahead to fight the northeast enemies, so you don't get pincer-ed by the Merc above.

You have about 10 turns or so to kill everyone else, as the Merc can only move a couple squares at best down the cliff.

Gray is a enemy magnet for the team, as he has the weakest defense out of Alm and Lukas. Works out well since he can double and nearly put every enemy to critical health for the others to pick off.

Every single point of skill is valuable to Tobin for how bad Archers are at hitting things.

Standard Mage attack animation. Mages in Valentia don't use spellbooks, no idea if that's why they take damage when casting spells compared to the Archanea spell slingers.

So I mentioned that Faye being a Cleric kinda breaks the game. I wasn't just talking about her unique set of spells.

I'm talking straight up free EXP with healing since using Recover always gives 9 EXP. And since Faye has to pay HP to heal, it feeds an endless loop of healing EXP that starts with one tiny scratch.

Also partly why I'm not going to show levels for Faye and Silque since they'll hit promotion pretty fast.

The only stat that kinda matters for Gray right now is Attack, since the base stat for the next promotion is only 11.

The only stat that matters here is Luck, since Lukas hit 7 which lets him promote to Knight. A majority of his stats are about to get massively upgraded.

Alm isn't subject to the weirdness of Gaiden. Every level matters for him. Good speed growth so far.

The stats look out for Kliff are Speed and Defense. The Sage base stats are kinda pathetic, so cross the fingers for his good speed growth to pull through.

Kliff picks up Thunder for less accurate but safer sniping.

Gray is usually known to coast off his classes' base stats, so him contributing is a welcome surprise.

You might've noticed faces that appear at the combat forecast in the upper left. Gray has a support tree with Tobin, but none with Alm. Despite that, Alm gives a flat support bonus all the same, so think of it as a C rank that you don't have to work for.

For this specific case, Gray is getting +10 hit/+3 crit (5 from C rank Tobin, 5 and 3 crit from Alm).

The safest way to deal with the Merc is to box him in with Lukas/Gray/Alm, since they have the bulk to take even a crit and survive.

Kliff's mage powers are very important for situations like this where physical bouts are a losing proposition.

Gray has done enough combat to learn a Combat Art, a new addition to SoV.

Arts are manual abilities you can activate at the cost of HP for combat. Wrath Strike costs 1 HP, but gives +5 MT and +10 hit.

There are two two downsides to combat arts. First, arts are locked to the character and not the weapon. If Gray picks up another weapon with Wrath Strike, it's already available to him. If Alm uses the Iron Sword, he has to build up the battles to unlock the ability.

The second downside is that you cannot attack twice with a Combat Art (with few exceptions). It is a tactical decision to use a powerful, accurate one shot or use your natural speed to attack twice.

A perfect example of when to apply the Combat Art, as the Merc class line is usually too fast for your party to outspeed. More than the boost to attack, the boost to hit rate is why Combat Arts are important with how bad the formula is for SoV.

With the Leather Shield in tow, the party proceeds forward.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBdskrTEH7c

You have my thanks.
We’ll soon reach the Southern Outpost, which is under Deliverance control. Once we’ve rejoined our comrades, the fights ahead will become easier.
Comrades, huh?
I wonder what they’re like? I’m excited to meet them!

*A soldier runs up to them*

It’s good to see you made it back safely.
I recognize you. You were stationed at the outpost.
Has something happened? Why are you here?
Forgive us, Sir Lukas, but…
The tides turned after you left, and we were forced to abandon the outpost. I’m afraid Lady Clair was taken captive. Desaix’s men hold her there even now.

Lukas…
This is my fault. Lady Clair is new to military command. I should have left her in more experienced hands.
Don’t blame yourself, Lukas. Sir Clive sent you to Ram Village. right? You didn’t have a choice.
If blame lies with anyone, it’s him.
……
Regardless, standing here accomplishes nothing. We need a plan. I assume this Clair person is still alive, right?
In that case, we just have to take back the Southern Outpost and save her!

How are WE supposed to reclaim a fortress from trained royal soldiers?!
I don’t know, but we have to find a way. Otherwise, our journey is already over.
Here and now, we make our decision. Will we live our lives as simple villagers?
…Or will we fight on as soldiers of the Deliverance?!
But Alm…

Gray!
Tobin!
…Listen, just stop and think about this. I know it’s hard, but try.
Clair is a GIRL. And if we save a GIRL…
Eh? You follow?

Yes, because it’s gold. This is GIRLS. Don’t you like girls?
I mean, I admit they’re…not bad?
You see? We speak the same language. So you’re in, right?

Smack them in the head

Except “thank you.” You’re very brave to do this. The Deliverance is lucky to have you.
Same goes for you, Lukas.
One thing, Alm… You may be right that some of the blame lies with Sir Clive…
But please, tread soft with him regardless.
Lady Clair is his younger sister. I’m sure no one’s head is hanging lower than his own right now.
Oh. Lukas, I…
I’m sorry. You’re right.

Kliff-Tobin B Support

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EU4e20I43kI

Hey, Kliff. What’s new?
Are you kidding? I thought I told you—
Yeah, yeah. No small talk. Guess I forgot.
Or else you’re doing it on purpose to get under my skin.
Heh heh.
I really can’t stand when you do that. *Leaves*
Yeesh. Do you want to talk about it? Maybe need a hug?

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

It's a nice touch that Alm gives a support bonus to all the other Ram kids.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I love all the extra conversations you can get. I recently went and re-read an LP of the original game since playing this one and ye gods what a difference! Characterization? What's that?

The voice acting really sells it, too, so I hope ya'll are watching the videos!

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

The weapon arts combined with the one item inventory are frustrating because there are so many items with unique skills but you can't really swap them around, and if you do, any that you've learned on a character are just taking up space on their character screen until you find another compatible weapon, which is very uncommon. That Wrath Strike appears on, what, two weapons? And the iron sword is (almost) the weakest weapon outside of the no-item default. I like what the skills can do, but they're often disappointing unless you make decisions like "you will only use this weapon, ever," which is kind of boring.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jun 24, 2018

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Goddamnit Gray. :ughh:

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Those were some very nice levels this map.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Before I get to the next story battle, it's time for a quick pit stop to the Mila shrine for Lukas to promote.

Lukas gains massive physical stats to be even more untouchable for a long while until Mages enter the fray.

Attack on the Southern Outpost

Watch out. That archer is carrying a powerful bow. We should only send in capable—and cautious—units to deal with him.

Enemies aren't really special here except for this archer with a Steel Bow. That weapon's range is 1-3, so he has slightly more reach and power than Tobin, but his speed totally tanks.

Literally anyone can double him with his 0 effective value.

…More rebels? Ha! Haven’t you dogs learned your lesson yet?
We’re not rebels… We’re the Deliverance!
Everyone! With me!

Gameplan is simple here. Bait out all the aggressive enemies with Alm/Lukas, clean up with the range fighters for easy EXP.

Thunder is noticeably way worse accuracy-wise than Fire, but in context of general hit rates it's actually pretty high. Being to bypass terrain evasion bonus and not being reliant on Skill is a huge benefit, especially later on when generic tiles give 20% evasion for no reason.

Armors can't exactly run, so their version of the momentum start is pulling out their shield.

Kliff is already surpassing expectations by keeping up his speed. He honestly doesn't need it as his main job is easily taking out armors, but doubling archers is a nice bonus.

Gray only got 1 stat for his level, but it was the most important in Attack. Now at level 7, Gray can promote to Myrmidon which will massively boost his speed.

And Kliff saved me many turns of walking around the fortress to reach that one soldier on a defensive tile.

Thank you, my brave friends. Thank you for everything. I know that my fallen comrades would say the same.
Oh, Lukas. I’m so sorry. But we’ll have time to mourn later.
Right now, we must find Lady Clair. She must be somewhere inside the outpost.

It's a small area, but full of good loot.

Items: Drinking Water, Iron Lance, Wine, Rusted Shield

Iron Lance is a weapon, Rusted Shield is one of those useless items that get special once you reach a forge.

Weapons-I bet you'd fight better if you didn't leave your weapons lying around.

Windows-*Cough cough* Gods, there's more dust than air in here!

General area-I'm told this place was built 200 years ago as a defense against pirates.

Next to the War Room

Items: Wine, Ale, Rusted Sword, Cold Soup, Lightning Sword

Lightning Sword is one of the best weapons period for basically the first 60% of the game. It has 15 magical MT, 1-2 range, 80 hit, and basically ignores the user's stats. That means literally the weakest 0 attack Gray can deal massive damage to many units because Resistance isn't a thing.

The only downside is that it reduces speed by 3, but luckily the Merc class has overkill speed as the perfect match. Weapon's not that great on Alm because his speed isn't absurd, and he gets a better sword later.

Table-Guess no had time to clean up before they took off.

Supplies-This is mostly just junk.

Weapons-Lots of weapons scattered around...Somebody left in a big hurry.

Now to find Clair.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbgSE7wBtbw

Lukas! You came to rescue me! Why, how simply gallant of you…
Now extricate me from this filthy and unseemly cage at once!

Items: Hard Bread x2, Holey Cheese, Leftover Ale, Cell Key

Table-A table and chairs for the guards. Those do NOT look comfortable.

Dungeon-Ugh. Glad I don't have to spend any time in here.

Dungeon 2-I wonder if any prisoners ever banged a tin cup on the bars....

Pile of Weapons-Rigel must have taken these weapons from their prisoners.

Alm opens the door to let out Clair.

With Pride in your Heart

Who, me? …Oh, uh, sorry.
Very good. I say, it DOES feel good to move about again!
I thought I might never emerge from that disgusting pigsty.
You have my thanks, er…
This is Alm. He recently joined us in the Deliverance.
Oh! Well, how simply lovely. Welcome!

Um…
It’s a pleasure to meet you, milady.

Uh…I “hail” from a little place called Ram Village.
A village? You don’t say!
That’s one of those places with all the cows and the barns and the fields, yes?
Um…yeah. Something like that.
My word! I hardly ever speak with villagers!
What is it like to chase cows every day? I wager they bite, the nasty creatures.
Hmm… And yet, you aren’t smothered in manure. This is not what I pictured.
Right. Um…

His… Huh?
Oh dear, have I done it again? It’s as Clive constantly reminds me:
“The Deliverance is not like the Knights of Zofia. Not every soldier in our ranks is noble, but we must treat them all as equals.”
The peasant must forgive his lady for this gauche breach of etiquette.
It’s all right. The peasant—whose name is Alm—will get over it.
Oh, Alm! I can see you are truly kind.
Might I ask you more about your village later? I’m ever so curious!
Of course.
Splendid! I’ve always wanted to know more about cows and pigs and such.
Yes, they’re…they’re amazing creatures…

And Clair officially joins the party.

Yeah, I uh… *cough* That’s what I’m hoping.
Hmm…
Hey, what are you schemin’?
Wh-what? Nothing!
Uh-huh…

Faye-Silque Support B

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28FqUmGZ8tk&feature=youtu.be

Faye! There you are!

Hello again, Silque. You sure are persistent.
I would like to make a proposal. If you don’t like gossip, why don’t we talk about Sir Alm?
He’s something we can bond over, don’t you think?
Talking about Alm isn’t fun unless Alm himself is there.
Look, it’s okay. Not everyone has to be friends, right? *leaves*
Faye? …Faye?
*sigh* I’ve lost her again…

Clair

Growth

HP-35
Atk-40
SKL-55
SPD-70
LCK-50
DEF-30
RES-2

Clair is all about speed. Her mobility is good to get over the harsh terrain of SoV and generally getting into fortresses much earlier. She should be more for finishing off enemies from a far range after Lukas, Alm, and Gray weaken the enemy forces.

Flier utility is more limited here than in many other games, since Rescuing/Pairing up isn't a mechanic to ferry characters over.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

With this intro I was expecting to hate Clair with a passion, but fortunately this is as bad as it gets as far as her noblewoman ignorance.

Also https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbgSE7wBtbw&t=154s I love Gray's delivery here.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Clair may struggle with attack power, but that speed stat pairs wonderfully with a special lance (Rhomphaia) due to one of its combat arts running off the speed stat. At the same time, Alexis Tipton delivers a wonderful performance as Clair, even at times she slips into a "For some unknown reason, the ADR director wants me to imitate Melissa Fahn's performance as Maribelle from Awakening, right down to sounding exactly like Fahn" manner of speech and vocal inflection.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Alms delivery in his conversation with Clair is great.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

I gotta ask what Clair was eating if she's never seen a cow or a pig? Her family would have farmlands as nobility. Are they dragon farmers or something crazy?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

I gotta ask what Clair was eating if she's never seen a cow or a pig? Her family would have farmlands as nobility. Are they dragon farmers or something crazy?

Probably only saw the end product.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

You know, Clair boasts the highest Speed growth in the game by a noticeable margin, but this is actually one of the biggest changes in growth rates from Gaiden to Echoes. In Gaiden, her speed was decidedly mediocre. Her other growths remained pretty consistent, relatively speaking. Her Strength may be unreliable, but it's not the worst. The biggest obstacle she faces is her low HP growth, which leaves her extremely fragile, given her equally poor Defense. It's also important to note that Clair actually has a fair amount of base Resistance, making her Alm's best mage-hunter for the moment (if you waste Kliff's potential making him a physical attacker, he also has a good bit of Resistance, though Clair is the only one of the two with any chance of potentially gaining more points in it, and Kliff can't become a flier).

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I’ve had Clair become a monster by midgame pretty much every time I’ve played Echoes so far. If she really missed her strength grows, she could be less useful I guess but she has good supports, and speed, as usual for FE, is king.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Clair's really fun, and has definitely been one of the more useful members of my team. I just always filled her with HP and DEF boosts so she didn't die to a stiff breeze.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
As much as all the voice actors in this game nail it, Clair especially nails it. She's fantastic and she manages to not be a one-note gimmick character.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

LordHippoman posted:

As much as all the voice actors in this game nail it, Clair especially nails it. She's fantastic and she manages to not be a one-note gimmick character.

Clair has some truly amazing lines and combined with her general usefulness makes her one of my favorite units in the game.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

She immediately gets points for being a Peg Knight with a personality that goes beyond "I may be meek and lacking in confidence, but I have to [prove myself to / protect] my [sisters / friends]."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Clair basically became my designated horse assassin once I got the horseslayer and upgraded it.

• Locked thread