Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I'd take a Fushitsu over HP any day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Hello Thinkpad thread,

The people in the Apple thread tell me that the pro-tier lappy these days is the X1, I used to use a T-60/61/62 (dunno, the T-62 might just be a :ussr: tank though?) and it was v.deece.

Are the X1s likewise v.deece?

Will I be able to play New Vegas on it?

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

buy a dell xps or precision

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Tankakern posted:

buy a dell xps or precision

Have they moved to the soldered-DIMM model yet or can I still add RAMs?

E: SSDs same question.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Schadenboner posted:

Have they moved to the soldered-DIMM model yet or can I still add RAMs?

E: SSDs same question.

15 you can upgrade yourself, 13 has soldered

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

spankmeister posted:

I'd take a Fushitsu over HP any day
had a fujitsu t2010 back in the day. thing was slow af but the magnesium build sure was nice, and very thinkpad-y. even had a clitmouse

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

one thing that's kind of neat that i discovered the other day is that, if you have a nice desktop around, you can use remote streaming software to forward the desktop to your older Thinkpad. if whatever software you're using has 3d acceleration enabled, it's like having a super fast laptop.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Schadenboner posted:

Hello Thinkpad thread,

The people in the Apple thread tell me that the pro-tier lappy these days is the X1, I used to use a T-60/61/62 (dunno, the T-62 might just be a :ussr: tank though?) and it was v.deece.

Are the X1s likewise v.deece?

Will I be able to play New Vegas on it?

T480 is the successor to something like the T61. X1 is the high end thin&light model, it’s good but expensive. If you’re not looking for a mobile workstation it’s p good. Make sure to spec in a screen that doesn’t suck.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

suck my woke dick posted:

T480 is the successor to something like the T61. X1 is the high end thin&light model, it’s good but expensive. If you’re not looking for a mobile workstation it’s p good. Make sure to spec in a screen that doesn’t suck.

Right now I'm on an absolutely ancient W520 salvaged from the trash at work a few years ago. It's a loving tank and it suits my needs but it's getting old and BSODy, and I'm getting too old for trashputers, you know? I doesn't need thin-and-light so much as "Could (theoretically) get moved from my desk to another desk via a bag".

:shrug:

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

the x1c is fantastic, but you are really paying for the mobility (14" coming in at 2.49 pounds, compare e.g. the mbp 13" at 3.02), so it may not make that much sense tethered to a desk forever

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

in before lenovo fucks this up so i can no longer say "the t/x series are good" and instead have to specify t or x1c or x1y but not x1e.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/08/lenovos-thinkpad-x1-extreme-hex-core-gtx-1050-ti-64gb-ram-under-4-pounds/

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

I still need to order one of those backlight kits that replace long dead ccfl (ccd?) lamps with leds, plus an ssd kit for the cd drive slot

my thinkpad t42 or w/e is probably total garbo nowadays, considering that it's a (assumedly) a pentium m or etc

but its the dusty laptop that I wanna have on hand as an emergency emergency emergency backup computer :waycool:

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

the intern here is using a tiny bug thinkpad and it got tired and overheated and shutdown running a batch job that my chad macbook chewed through with ease

it says it has an i7 but it turns out it’s a fake i7 that actually only has two gimped cores

lol

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

my thinkpad is a trash one with an i5 with two gimped cores and it takes 15 minutes to reboot and 5 minutes to send video to an external monitor when i plug one in.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Rex-Goliath posted:

it says it has an i7 but it turns out its a fake i7 that actually only has two gimped cores

lol

ya, mine too lol

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

akadajet posted:

ya, mine too lol

mine has four works on my machine

mystes
May 31, 2006

Rex-Goliath posted:

the intern here is using a tiny bug thinkpad and it got tired and overheated and shutdown running a batch job that my chad macbook chewed through with ease

it says it has an i7 but it turns out it’s a fake i7 that actually only has two gimped cores

lol
Is this the "i7" that's the rebranded core m?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

mystes posted:

Is this the "i7" that's the rebranded core m?

i think so it’s labeled as in i7r or something like that

i’ve been telling their IT that they need to give their developers real dev machines and not these baby thinkpads. personally don’t care what brand or OS they use just not these weak sauce flowers they were given

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

:thunk:pad

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
ordering two fresh 9 cells for my lil' x201 gonna have 16 sweet hours of postin' runtime

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

who is yelling at me to log off?? show yourself, coward

*slams fresh 9-cell into laptop and racks the power button*

i will never log off

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

ordering two fresh 9 cells for my lil' x201 gonna have 16 sweet hours of postin' runtime

Rex-Goliath posted:

who is yelling at me to log off?? show yourself, coward

*slams fresh 9-cell into laptop and racks the power button*

i will never log off

:gas:

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Schadenboner posted:

Hello Thinkpad thread,

The people in the Apple thread tell me that the pro-tier lappy these days is the X1,
:thunk:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Jonny 290 posted:

my crappy x230 has 10 minutes of runtime on the battery now but my department has no budget allocated to computer expenses this year :q:

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Broken Machine posted:

one thing that's kind of neat that i discovered the other day is that, if you have a nice desktop around, you can use remote streaming software to forward the desktop to your older Thinkpad. if whatever software you're using has 3d acceleration enabled, it's like having a super fast laptop.

I tried this with steam recently and it predictably sucks rear end

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

akadajet posted:

I tried this with steam recently and it predictably sucks rear end

dsyp

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

mrmcd posted:

https://twitter.com/hdevalence/status/1038305566517415936

Patriots who's name you will never know sacrificed everything to bring you this updated. :911:

:toot:

Who Is Paul Blart
Oct 22, 2010
actually the best computers are manufactured by Hewlett Packard inc

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

a much needed flaming torch has been thrown into this thread

why is hp the best? never see anything from them anymore

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Who Is Paul Blart posted:

care to post any exampls

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
the computer is personal again

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

i have an ibm thinkpad and it doesn't work at all, doesn't even turn on.

therefore they are poo poo.

to be fair its from like 1994, so

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

i have an ibm thinkpad and it doesn't work at all, doesn't even turn on.

therefore they are poo poo.

to be fair its from like 1994, so

she’d turn on better if you showered daily

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

care to post any exampls

DL360

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
twinkpad

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Who Is Paul Blart posted:

that’s a funny way to spell fujitsu siemens

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

care to post any exampls

some of the elitebooks are OK. you can get used ones off eBay pretty cheap, they don't seem to hold their value very well lol

I have no idea why the probook line exists, their consumer lineup is a confusing trash heap, and i'd never buy any of their poo poo new full price.

their monitors are p dece, too but this is the laptop thread

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
alright so I've had this thinkpad x1 carbon 6th gen for a couple of months now, with linux, and its a very good laptop

sucks about the soldered ram but the macbook air I had was the same deal so it doesn't really bothers me

the hdr screen is very bright and colorful even though its not really hdr

would recommend a+

it has the best keyboard ive ever used on a laptop (even a t420 imo), which is weird because its a small rear end thin laptop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Olivil posted:

alright so I've had this thinkpad x1 carbon 6th gen for a couple of months now, with linux, and its a very good laptop

sucks about the soldered ram but the macbook air I had was the same deal so it doesn't really bothers me

the hdr screen is very bright and colorful even though its not really hdr

would recommend a+

it has the best keyboard ive ever used on a laptop (even a t420 imo), which is weird because its a small rear end thin laptop

it’s because the x1 is the line that’s actually allowed to have enough expensive engineering to not suck

• Locked thread