Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
A friend texted me yesterday that he was going to purchase one of the new MacBooks, but he found they removed the HD recovery port, meaning all your data is gone if your motherboard ever dies (and the motherboards on MacBooks aren't known for, uh, not dying). So he swore of MacBooks permanently. I told him to get a ThinkPad, T series and he's going to.

Coincidentally, I just received my Thinkpad T25 (25th Anniversary Edition) laptop today to replace my 9 year old T420, and a few things struck me as pretty amazing when I took off the back cover to upgrade the RAM from 16GB to 32GB. Not only does this laptop have an external battery (something that is getting more rare by the day), but it has an internal battery as well. On top of that, the internal battery is extremely easy to replace. Suck it, Crapple.

Here's some pics from when I opened it to double the RAM:

The desk is in my garage so no, I don't care that it's scratched.

So not only are both batteries incredibly easy to replace, but there's space and ports for TWO hard drives, a spot for an extra stick of RAM (remember when you could upgrade RAM?), 3 USB ports, full-sized HDMI and RJ-45, thunderbolt, memory card reader, and more. I can even choose a classic-style dock where I just plop it down on the $35 dock I got off eBay instead of buying some $300 thunderbolt bullshit that I have to plug in like a jackass every time.

If the motherboard ever dies, I can actually retrieve my data. The keyboard does not die from a spec of dust; in fact this keyboard is the classic-style "switch" and not the Chiclet bullshit. If EITHER of the TWO batteries ever die, the laptop does not get thrown in the trash.

Oh and best of all........A MATTE loving SCREEN. Even though it's a touchscreen, they still knew nobody wants that glossy trash that used to be exclusive to poo poo-tier laptops in the mid 2000s.

And yet it somehow manages to do all of this while still having great battery life, and while remaining thin and light (like me). The trackpad is great for gestures and scrolling, and as always, the trackpoint nub is the greatest mouse pointer known to man.

My final thought of the day; the T470 and T480 are almost identical except they have Chiclet keyboards, so if the keyboard isn't a big deal to you, you can go with those over the 25th Anniversary Edition. Because the T series Thinkpads aren't made by sadomasochists in Cupertino, you can do all of the things mentioned above re: actually owning the hardware you buy.

Thinkpad. Supremacy.

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jul 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
but what os, op? i'm sure it's a piece of poo poo regardless.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

but what os, op? i'm sure it's a piece of poo poo regardless.

Windows 10 Pro, so you'd be correct. But I know some....tricks.....to make it not as bad

pram
Jun 10, 2001
looks bad op

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
more like stinkpad

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

more like stinkpad

thinkbad

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

more like stinkpad

no, it's not a MacBook

Lean Six Ligma
Nov 26, 2005

Dirty Fuckin' Dangles, Boys
They will pry my T420 out of my cold dead hands. The screen sucks and windows 10 keeps updating drivers that I don't want it to, but the thing is as tough as a soviet tank and is still peppy enough to be needs-suiting

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i have a dell thinkpad

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Pixelated posted:

They will pry my T420 out of my cold dead hands. The screen sucks and windows 10 keeps updating drivers that I don't want it to, but the thing is as tough as a soviet tank and is still peppy enough to be needs-suiting

yeah I loved my T420. It was just getting a bit too slow for me. And yeah, the drivers issue was driving me insane. It kept updating these horrible NVidia drivers that would make my screen randomly flash black when scrolling in photoshop

I kept it for so long because it had an i7 processor in it and I figured "how much faster can these new i7s really be" and holy moley was I mistaken

I know it's an older game but I can run Tomb Raider at 1080p 60fps with all the graphics set to high on the T25. I could not even run Rainbow Six on my T420. But I am still keeping my T420 around for those rare occasions I need Firewire

pram
Jun 10, 2001

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

le no, vo

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
i bought a used x250 last month

upgraded the screen to the 1080p ips and put the big battery in

suits my needs

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

isn't choosing t25 kinda cheating, it was meant to be a nostalgic flashback with lots of old tech, and it's insanely pricy

new thinkpads are just like all other plastic crap laptops from acer and asus nowadays

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Tankakern posted:

isn't choosing t25 kinda cheating, it was meant to be a nostalgic flashback with lots of old tech, and it's insanely pricy

new thinkpads are just like all other plastic crap laptops from acer and asus nowadays

nah the t470 and t480 are very similar to the T25 except for the keyboard

I used some coupons and got the T25 for $1,350 with tax

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Jul 25, 2018

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
I have the T470. The screen is a POS but the battery life is good.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

SpaceAceJase posted:

I have the T470. The screen is a POS but the battery life is good.

IPS?

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
IBS

*farts*

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

lowest high and highest low loser of: WEED WEE
k
Thinking of getting (work to pay for) the X1 yoga

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Kilometres Davis posted:

Thinking of getting (work to pay for) the X1 yoga

get it on ebay and get one with an OLED screen

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

nah the t470 and t480 are very similar to the T25 except for the keyboard

I used some coupons and got the T25 for $1,350 with tax

doesn't help when the keyboard sucks, and it has the same lame plasticy build quality as any other south east asia laptop

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Tankakern posted:

doesn't help when the keyboard sucks, and it has the same lame plasticy build quality as any other south east asia laptop

then get the T25

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Windows 10 Pro, so you'd be correct. But I know some....tricks.....to make it not as bad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkJBDEDDS5o hth

also, your laptop looks like a real thick boy

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Maximum Leader posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkJBDEDDS5o hth

also, your laptop looks like a real thick boy

haha what is this bullshit?

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
6th gen x1 carbon is real good, though i do miss my x61 tablet

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

no you don’t miss the x61t they are barely usable

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

after my x200 died I had to go back to using an x61 as my backup computer and the experience was frustrating enough that I jumped ship to Mac. like, it “works” in that you can run Linux on it but nothing supports that resolution and 3gb ram limits most poo poo. the nib is also not a good mouse

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
?

mine has 4gb, and it has a core 2 duo so can run a 64-bit os and even 64-bit virtual machines, every linux or windows (xp and 7) i ever ran on it supported the 1024x768 and 1400x1050 screens perfectly (i have both), and that is the only clitmouse i have ever used which was any good -- well that one and the one in my old x41 tablet, but im pretty sure that was the same mouse hardware

4gb ram limit is horrible now but i really enjoyed using it when it was new (enough)

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

whoops wrt ram thinking the point release below. the mouse is not good for anything aside from light use (gis, graphics software, a number of other cases it’s terrible to where a normal trackpad is better), and the resolution is supported by OS just fine but a lot of applications I’d want to use (DAWS, ham radio software, even a number of modern websites) don’t deal with it well.

of course most people wouldn’t be using that computer today, it was fine back then (I still use it for retro console dev as it has a CD burner w/ ultrabay) but i will concede that it’s great that you can still use it as a computer period. the thinkpad brand is tarnished for me by association of being broke and needing to use lovely computers, I’m sure some of the newer ones are fine

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

all this chat about thinkpad makes me really hope that system76 pulls off making their own laptop factory. we really need some new actors out there to free us from the plastic fantastic poo poo that defines the market nowadays. dell and apple are the only laptop producers left thats not making crap.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

everytime people chat about thinkpads, it always boils down to the fact that it was better before lenovo took over

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

ironically it might be huawei that saves us, their new macbook clone, the matebook, looks good

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

they're really not that great, op

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

more like stinkpad

stinkbad

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i love thinkpads but lmao at them putting a usbc in and not using it for power just lmao

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

akadajet posted:

haha what is this bullshit?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny 290 posted:

i love thinkpads but lmao at them putting a usbc in and not using it for power just lmao

maybe I am reading your post wrong but i do have the option of charging this laptop over USB-C if I want

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001

lol

• Locked thread