Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

LifeLynx posted:

Clash was despised in Magic, and that was in 2007. It's too random. If it was a mixed class set maybe you could be sure your Guardian deck would win a clash against a Ninja, but here it's likely your opponent has a similar power average in their deck.

It feels even worse than MtG Clash. In Magic, losing a clash only failed to give you a bonus to your card, so you paid a half mana or so too much for the effect you got.

Clash also let you manipulate your top deck, either for subsequent clashes or for your draw.

In FaB losing a clash benefits your opponent. Since the majority of clashes are when you defend, you can't rely on the clash for your turn AND your opponent gets to have a blocking turn with knowledge that they have the clash benefits if they won the clash.

And since FaB clash doesn't let you scry/opt the card to top or bottom it feels rougher in multiples.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

PJOmega posted:

It feels even worse than MtG Clash. In Magic, losing a clash only failed to give you a bonus to your card, so you paid a half mana or so too much for the effect you got.

Clash also let you manipulate your top deck, either for subsequent clashes or for your draw.

In FaB losing a clash benefits your opponent. Since the majority of clashes are when you defend, you can't rely on the clash for your turn AND your opponent gets to have a blocking turn with knowledge that they have the clash benefits if they won the clash.

And since FaB clash doesn't let you scry/opt the card to top or bottom it feels rougher in multiples.

It's really bad in sealed. Apparently it's making big waves for Kayo in CC however.

I might play in the Road to Nationals. It's CC, which I'm not super familiar with, and I'm trying to narrow down an OG Dash list. Waiting for people more experienced than me to start putting out decklists.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

LifeLynx posted:

It's really bad in sealed. Apparently it's making big waves for Kayo in CC however.

I can see that. When you can build your deck to be mostly clash 7+ and able to sideboard out effects when you can't reliably win clashes is where it will shine.

i poop fire
Feb 21, 2011
It kinda feels like adult Kayo is the second coming of Starvo.

i poop fire
Feb 21, 2011
LSS revealed 3 of the heroes from Part the Mistveil - https://fabtcg.com/articles/mst/

We're getting an assassin, illusionist, and a ninja. All three have the new "Mystic" talent and a secondary resource called Chi that we dont know much about.

The new illusionist looks very cool, and she even has 40 life this time so she might not be DoA.

They also unveiled a new box set like the "round the table" professor thing that comes with a playmat, the 3 blitz decks for the above heroes, and some boosters.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

i poop fire posted:

LSS revealed 3 of the heroes from Part the Mistveil - https://fabtcg.com/articles/mst/

We're getting an assassin, illusionist, and a ninja. All three have the new "Mystic" talent and a secondary resource called Chi that we dont know much about.

The new illusionist looks very cool, and she even has 40 life this time so she might not be DoA.

They also unveiled a new box set like the "round the table" professor thing that comes with a playmat, the 3 blitz decks for the above heroes, and some boosters.

I want Crouching Tiger to be good. Can't wait for Zen.

i poop fire
Feb 21, 2011
The pre-relase for Mistveil was the most fun event I've attended since I started playing the game. The new heroes are great, and Enigma is what I've been waiting for since Prism LL'd. I'm considering preordering everything from SCG so I can play it immediately.

The trick where you play a second Transcend card in response to the first one, and they both flip into chi because they detect each other was something everybody was doing by round 2.

People got sick pulls in their packs. We had 1 Marvel hero, 6 Marvel Transcend cards, and the location Fabled. The store ended up with a golden pack at the bottom of one of the event boxes. It had the RF alternate Enigma, so not the $5000 Marvel CF version.

I think Nuu is going to cause some problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
My head hurts after four rounds of the prerelease, but oh man was it fun. Zen was everything I wanted.

One of my biggest complaints in this game is that cards aren't very evocative of what they do, and it's amplified in this set when everything's purposefully ~mystical~, i.e. abstract.

Chi was great. It's a somewhat parasitic mechanic, but it plays well with other blue cards. I love the concept of forcing people to reevaluate cards which were previously only used for resources. People said the rule was to include four, at most five, transcend cards in the deck. With Zen I found myself pitching them a lot more than Nuu or Enigma players. The "play one, then play the other in response to flip both" play isn't intuitive and I'm glad it was one of the few tips I read beforehand.

They did a great job with the heroes, they all put a unique twist on their classes while still feeling very Assassin/Illusionist/Ninja.

Battlefront Bastion was a good include for limited. The complexity in the heroes in this set is very high, so sometimes you need to take a break, pitch a blue, and attack for 6 or 7. The double-duty as a very good block card makes it an auto-include.

Why the gently caress do some cards create a Crouching Tiger in your hand and others in your banished zone? In the same set? But it changed my life when I overheard someone say you can arsenal a Crouching Tiger. I'm used to Magic where when a token moves zones it generally ceases to exist.