Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sherbert Hoover

Working hard, thank you!

alnilam posted:

3. Author's research, conducted 1997.

lol

this sig is protected by Simsmagic!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stoner Sloth

i wonder if people can use original character pokemons (do not steal)?

tutankhalmond

Stoner Sloth posted:

i wonder if people can use original character pokemons (do not steal)?

riddles know no bounds. questions beyond time and space and first gen even

Heather Papps

hello friend

tutankhalmond posted:

riddles know no bounds. questions beyond time and space and first gen even

Typhlosion (Japanese: バクフーン Bakphoon) is a Fire-type Pokémon introduced in Generation II.

It evolves from Quilava starting at level 36. It is the final form of Cyndaquil.

In Hisui, Typhlosion has a dual-type Fire/Ghost regional form. It evolves from Quilava starting at level 36. It is the final form of Cyndaquil in the Hisui region.

In this essay i will outline exactly why the hisui form is terrible. typhlosion is maybe my favourite sugimori pokemon design, for personal reasons, also to be outlined.

my first pokemon game was yellow, when my dad's friend won a gameboy colour special pikachu edition with a copy of pokemon yellow as a prize in a golf tournament. having no children, he bequeathed it to my father, who gave it to me. i loved that game, but when pokemon gold and silver were announced i knew that things were gonna change. i had not played yellow when everyone else was playing red and green - but i was ready, trained and hardened for the battle that was to come.

on November 21, 1999, i was driven to a walmart, where i had used my own money to place a pre-order. it was time. i picked the fire type starter because i am a reformed pyromaniac. we adventured through the world, together, defeated the elite 4, and then the kanto gyms, and eventually red, together. i knicknamed him elvis, and his children were all elvis themed names, for some reason. my grandmother really likes elvis. i transferred him from game to game all the way to pokemon x, where i was finally able to hand feed and pat his head. this is all to say i loved my fire weasel very much.

flash forward to today, where i discover that there's a new form - not a single fire type, but fire and ghost type. i was overjoyed, excited, delighted. untill i scrolled down, and found this image:

this is not my friend.

this is my friend.

we had adventures together for more than a decade. i loved elvis like a son3 and am livid that they did my boy like this. not only is typhlosion the best pokemon, but their alternate form is the WORST4 pokemon

~~~~~~~
1-https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/File:157Typhlosion-Hisui.png
2- https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/File:Spr_4h_157.png
3- my own research, see heather papps et-all this post
4- revealed to me in a dream

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

Non Krampus Mentis

Scrungus Bungus from the planet Grongous
Why Psyduck is the Best Pokémon, by Non Krampus Mentis

Through the many generations of Pokémon, there have been dozens of stand-outs and fan favorites. However, today I submit to you, the good people of BYOB, that there is in fact a superior Pokémon, and it is Psyduck.

Why, you may ask, is Psyduck the best? Raw power? Animal instinct? Killer moves? I submit to you that, in defiance of metagaming logic and the mechanics of the game, the appeal of Psyduck has nothing to do with its utility in battle: more than any other Pokémon, Psyduck is Just A Little Guy, and that is what makes them stand out.

Let’s look at the facts.

Fact 1: Psyduck is cute.
Look at that little guy. Just a soft little blob with quirky features—a bill, webbed feet, paw-hands, a crest that might be fur or feathers, and that big-eyed stare. The now-obscure word fubsy applies handily to Psyduck, with its squat physique and round shapes. Not to mention in Detective Pikachu (Letterman et al, 2019), the CGI Psyduck was given a truly incredible texture: feathers that evoke the midpoint between a fuzzy baby chick and an adult bird. Imagine the downy softness of a chick but also the smoothness of grown feathers, all in a bright, friendly sunshine yellow. That’s an eminently huggable creature.

Fact 2: Psyduck is relatable.
Perhaps appropriately in a setting where many types of animals can be shrunk down into Pokeballs and hurled at one another at a moment’s notice, Psyduck looks perpetually overwhelmed. That vacant stare evokes a feeling all too familiar in a post-2020 world: a sense of having forgotten something terribly important at the worst possible time to do so. We are told by the Pokédex in multiple games (among them Moon, Shield, and Yellow) that Psyduck’s powers are linked to chronic headaches and stress, and that it rarely remembers using its powers once the headache subsides. Who among us has not, in a moment of supreme frustration, found an unexpected reservoir of strength, and later recalled the event through a somewhat fuzzy filter?

In a world where anxiety abounds, Psyduck reassures us that we are not alone in feeling overwhelmed—and provides a necessary reminder that we are capable of more than we think, despite our limitations.

Fact 3: Psyduck is funny.
Again, I implore: look at that face. That expression that ranges from “what the gently caress?” to “the gently caress you just say to me?” to “oh Jesus oh god gently caress me running”. Not to mention their body shape means their gait is all waddly and bouncy. That poo poo is hilarious. Who needs powerful moves or stats when you’ve got the power to make everyone around you laugh?

Fact 4: Psyduck is a smilie.
:psyduck:

I hope you have enjoyed my report on Psyduck as much as I enjoyed writing it.

Gruß vom Krampus

:love: thank u deep dish peat moss for the sig :love:

tutankhalmond

the gods cry today. For joy.

Heather Papps

hello friend

Non Krampus Mentis posted:

oh it’s on now, motherfuckers

no jokes i'm kind of reconsidering my position.

Heather Papps

hello friend

psyduck is really good

more falafel please

forums poster

For centuries, orbkind has pondered which pokemon is the best pokemon. Of course, one must only look to the classic French philosophy text Équipage Saccagé1 to learn that it is, in fact, Slowpoke. Each of his legs has a single White Claw2: coincidence? Unlikely.

~~~
1. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3932939
2. https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Slowpoke_(Pok%C3%A9mon)#Biology

thanks Saoshyant and nesamdoom for the sigs!

Non Krampus Mentis

Heather Papps posted:

psyduck is really good

Psyduck is a cute little guy who just makes me feel better to look at. if I could have one irl, I would.

Gruß vom Krampus

Non Krampus Mentis

Heather Papps posted:

no jokes i'm kind of reconsidering my position.

the story of your love for elvis no lie made me a little misty. to migrate across so many games until you could finally pet your little buddy… beautiful.

Gruß vom Krampus

Shifty Nipples

weedle because weed

koffing because smoking weed

charizard to set the weed on fire to smoke it

Thanks Plant MONSTER. and deep dish peat moss and deep dish peat moss and deep dish peat moss

Sherbert Hoover

Working hard, thank you!

alnilam

I find many of these arguments to be leek-y and farfetch'd.

more falafel please

forums poster

alnilam posted:

I find many of these arguments to be leek-y and farfetch'd.

tutankhalmond

google THIS posted:

Pikachu (Pokémon Red, 1996) (Pokémon Blue, 1996) (Pokémon Yellow, 1998)

Those were the only primary sources I could find; Pokémon Orange, Green, and Purple are all secondary sources

Sherbert Hoover posted:

Pikachu is the best pokemon. He is yellow,1 very powerful,2 and a loyal friend.3

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Sherbert Hoover, Pikachu, 1998, colored pencil, 8.5 by 11 in., private collection, New Braunfels, Texas.
2. Ibid.
3. “Pikachu's Goodbye,” Pokémon: Indigo League, Season 1, Episode 39 (Tokyo: TV Tokyo, April 16, 1998).

alnilam posted:

Moltres is one of the legendary bird Pokémon.1 When Moltres flaps its flaming wings, they glimmer with a dazzling red glow.2 Properly trained, Moltres can also beat all of the Elite 5 Pokemon.3

-------------------------------------------------------------
1. Pokedex, 1st ed. Pg 146. Game Freak Press, Tokyo, Japan. (1996)
2. Ibid.
3. Author's research, conducted 1997.

Heather Papps posted:

Typhlosion (Japanese: バクフーン Bakphoon) is a Fire-type Pokémon introduced in Generation II.

It evolves from Quilava starting at level 36. It is the final form of Cyndaquil.

In Hisui, Typhlosion has a dual-type Fire/Ghost regional form. It evolves from Quilava starting at level 36. It is the final form of Cyndaquil in the Hisui region.

In this essay i will outline exactly why the hisui form is terrible. typhlosion is maybe my favourite sugimori pokemon design, for personal reasons, also to be outlined.

my first pokemon game was yellow, when my dad's friend won a gameboy colour special pikachu edition with a copy of pokemon yellow as a prize in a golf tournament. having no children, he bequeathed it to my father, who gave it to me. i loved that game, but when pokemon gold and silver were announced i knew that things were gonna change. i had not played yellow when everyone else was playing red and green - but i was ready, trained and hardened for the battle that was to come.

on November 21, 1999, i was driven to a walmart, where i had used my own money to place a pre-order. it was time. i picked the fire type starter because i am a reformed pyromaniac. we adventured through the world, together, defeated the elite 4, and then the kanto gyms, and eventually red, together. i knicknamed him elvis, and his children were all elvis themed names, for some reason. my grandmother really likes elvis. i transferred him from game to game all the way to pokemon x, where i was finally able to hand feed and pat his head. this is all to say i loved my fire weasel very much.

flash forward to today, where i discover that there's a new form - not a single fire type, but fire and ghost type. i was overjoyed, excited, delighted. untill i scrolled down, and found this image:

this is not my friend.

this is my friend.

we had adventures together for more than a decade. i loved elvis like a son3 and am livid that they did my boy like this. not only is typhlosion the best pokemon, but their alternate form is the WORST4 pokemon

~~~~~~~
1-https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/File:157Typhlosion-Hisui.png
2- https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/File:Spr_4h_157.png
3- my own research, see heather papps et-all this post
4- revealed to me in a dream

Why Psyduck is the Best Pokémon, by Non Krampus Mentis

Through the many generations of Pokémon, there have been dozens of stand-outs and fan favorites. However, today I submit to you, the good people of BYOB, that there is in fact a superior Pokémon, and it is Psyduck.

Why, you may ask, is Psyduck the best? Raw power? Animal instinct? Killer moves? I submit to you that, in defiance of metagaming logic and the mechanics of the game, the appeal of Psyduck has nothing to do with its utility in battle: more than any other Pokémon, Psyduck is Just A Little Guy, and that is what makes them stand out.

Let’s look at the facts.

Fact 1: Psyduck is cute.
Look at that little guy. Just a soft little blob with quirky features—a bill, webbed feet, paw-hands, a crest that might be fur or feathers, and that big-eyed stare. The now-obscure word fubsy applies handily to Psyduck, with its squat physique and round shapes. Not to mention in Detective Pikachu (Letterman et al, 2019), the CGI Psyduck was given a truly incredible texture: feathers that evoke the midpoint between a fuzzy baby chick and an adult bird. Imagine the downy softness of a chick but also the smoothness of grown feathers, all in a bright, friendly sunshine yellow. That’s an eminently huggable creature.

Fact 2: Psyduck is relatable.
Perhaps appropriately in a setting where many types of animals can be shrunk down into Pokeballs and hurled at one another at a moment’s notice, Psyduck looks perpetually overwhelmed. That vacant stare evokes a feeling all too familiar in a post-2020 world: a sense of having forgotten something terribly important at the worst possible time to do so. We are told by the Pokédex in multiple games (among them Moon, Shield, and Yellow) that Psyduck’s powers are linked to chronic headaches and stress, and that it rarely remembers using its powers once the headache subsides. Who among us has not, in a moment of supreme frustration, found an unexpected reservoir of strength, and later recalled the event through a somewhat fuzzy filter?

In a world where anxiety abounds, Psyduck reassures us that we are not alone in feeling overwhelmed—and provides a necessary reminder that we are capable of more than we think, despite our limitations.

Fact 3: Psyduck is funny.
Again, I implore: look at that face. That expression that ranges from “what the gently caress?” to “the gently caress you just say to me?” to “oh Jesus oh god gently caress me running”. Not to mention their body shape means their gait is all waddly and bouncy. That poo poo is hilarious. Who needs powerful moves or stats when you’ve got the power to make everyone around you laugh?

Fact 4: Psyduck is a smilie.

I hope you have enjoyed my report on Psyduck as much as I enjoyed writing it.

more falafel please posted:

For centuries, orbkind has pondered which pokemon is the best pokemon. Of course, one must only look to the classic French philosophy text Équipage Saccagé1 to learn that it is, in fact, Slowpoke. Each of his legs has a single White Claw2: coincidence? Unlikely.

~~~
1. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3932939
2. https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Slowpoke_(Pok%C3%A9mon)#Biology

An impressive showing by BYOB local scholars. In depth, thoughtful, but ultimately all wrong. The best pokemon is Snorlax (God, personal communication; Satan, personal communication). But your hard work must be rewarded!

Oooo this one smells like vanilla and sweat...

YOU GOT MR BEAST MERCH, HYPE BEAST, MR. BEAST, SCENTED CANDLES, 9OZ

What experts are saying about Mr Beast Merch, hype beast, Mr. Beast, Scented Candles, 9oz

...Alright! Maybe if it's smaller it won't smell so bad.

tutankhalmond

Sometimes, if you sit perfectly still, I swear I can hear heavy breathing from the Sphinks, which is unreal because the Sphinks is in impeccable shape. Always has been.

I see that the Sphinks is really leaning into their corporate partnerships. I guess even a timeless statue of sand and indignation can celebrate the upcoming release of the new Starbucks Freezo Baha Zumiez Ice Brew.

Heather Papps

hello friend

i'll take a blended african roast americano, cream instead of milk, milk instead of coffee, coffee instead of milk, extra foam, double whip, shot of hazlenut but also a single actual hazlenut in there AND you have to spell my name right.

Sherbert Hoover

Working hard, thank you!
exasperated barista voice: John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt? John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt?

Khanstant
coffee from offbrand chinese mr coffee machine, unknown preground beans, left to age unheated for 2 days, and a special little guy sucks out all the parts that taste like nyquil

more falafel please

forums poster

can I get a pour-under, a pour-between, and a pour-beside, for there

Bacon Taco

Now with extra narwhal meat!
HAIKOOLIGAN
I'd like a tall pumpkin spice latte with oatmilk and vanilla powder, and a grande hazelnut mocha frappucino in a venti cup with an extra 3 pumps, and when they are both done pour the pumpkin spice latte into the frappucino cup.

Wait, I'm not done. Then get a cup bigger than the venti (I know you have one back there, Brad) and fill it with light ice, then pour the latte/frappucino mix over that ice. Then say three hail satans and three hail marys and pass it over to me.

ChubbyChecker

virgin irish coffee on the rocks, neat

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1c1F0PpbHdg

tutankhalmond

Bacon Taco posted:

I'd like a tall pumpkin spice latte with oatmilk and vanilla powder, and a grande hazelnut mocha frappucino in a venti cup with an extra 3 pumps, and when they are both done pour the pumpkin spice latte into the frappucino cup.

Wait, I'm not done. Then get a cup bigger than the venti (I know you have one back there, Brad) and fill it with light ice, then pour the latte/frappucino mix over that ice. Then say three hail satans and three hail marys and pass it over to me.

ChubbyChecker posted:

virgin irish coffee on the rocks, neat

Heather Papps posted:

i'll take a blended african roast americano, cream instead of milk, milk instead of coffee, coffee instead of milk, extra foam, double whip, shot of hazlenut but also a single actual hazlenut in there AND you have to spell my name right.

Sherbert Hoover posted:

exasperated barista voice: John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt? John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt?

Khanstant posted:

coffee from offbrand chinese mr coffee machine, unknown preground beans, left to age unheated for 2 days, and a special little guy sucks out all the parts that taste like nyquil

can I get a pour-under, a pour-between, and a pour-beside, for there

Wow, the ad rep is telling us that engagement is off the charts, though Brad behind the counter looks fearful...

I'm holding the capsule to my forehead. I see...blue skies, the smell of popcorn.....my dad disappointed I am not paying attention....

YOU GOT THE CHIBA LOTTE MARINES 2017-2021 MASCOT, 謎の魚 (LARVAL VER.)

What experts are saying about the Chiba Lotte Marines 2017-2021 mascot, 謎の魚 (larval ver.)

After retiring in 2021, 謎の魚 was shrunk down into a small trinket awaiting this challenge.

tutankhalmond

In between riddles, I like to just sit and stare at such a perfect glass globe. I think I've seen a foot, but I could not tell you if it's still attached to much of anything. Maybe it's just wishful thinking.

Ahhh, I see we've reached the Sphinks' abstract phase. Great.

Sherbert Hoover

Working hard, thank you!

Heather Papps

hello friend

:hai:

alnilam

Great jorb

more falafel please

forums poster

it's tutankalmond's court jester

Shifty Nipples

drat...

alnilam posted:

Great jorb

Thanks Plant MONSTER. and deep dish peat moss and deep dish peat moss and deep dish peat moss

Chewbecca

Just chillin' : )

Thanks to Heather Papps for sweet sig, click for more hot lady action

sigs by luvcow and Khanstant.
Click on Spoonville for a neat surprise

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

Non Krampus Mentis

Behold, O boy king: I bring you a star map of heretofore uncharted constellations!

Let me explain.

Top right (linked by a pink line), The Whip. Often described as “rad as hell” and “probably not celestial Morse code”.

Middle right (linked by a dark green line), The Shrug. No one knows where this one was first observed, and no one seems to care.

Bottom right (linked by a red line), The Questing Beast. Don’t try to navigate by this one. Or do. I can’t tell you what to do with your life.

Bottom left (linked by a blue line), William Castle’s The Tingler. Among the stars, no one can hear you scream.

And finally, top left (linked by a pale blue line), The Polite But Emphatic “No, Thank You”.

Gruß vom Krampus

tutankhalmond

it's tutankalmond's court jester

Behold, O boy king: I bring you a star map of heretofore uncharted constellations!

Let me explain.

Top right (linked by a pink line), The Whip. Often described as “rad as hell” and “probably not celestial Morse code”.

Middle right (linked by a dark green line), The Shrug. No one knows where this one was first observed, and no one seems to care.

Bottom right (linked by a red line), The Questing Beast. Don’t try to navigate by this one. Or do. I can’t tell you what to do with your life.

Bottom left (linked by a blue line), William Castle’s The Tingler. Among the stars, no one can hear you scream.

And finally, top left (linked by a pale blue line), The Polite But Emphatic “No, Thank You”.

Ahhhh, such a bevy of new constellations I can see from the small circular window of my night chamber. Sleep has never felt so good.

I hope you all want to be the very best...

YOU GOT PIKACHU.

What experts are saying about Pikachu:

Sherbert Hoover posted:

Pikachu is the best pokemon. He is yellow,1 very powerful,2 and a loyal friend.3

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Sherbert Hoover, Pikachu, 1998, colored pencil, 8.5 by 11 in., private collection, New Braunfels, Texas.
2. Ibid.
3. “Pikachu's Goodbye,” Pokémon: Indigo League, Season 1, Episode 39 (Tokyo: TV Tokyo, April 16, 1998).

google THIS posted:

Pikachu (Pokémon Red, 1996) (Pokémon Blue, 1996) (Pokémon Yellow, 1998)

Those were the only primary sources I could find; Pokémon Orange, Green, and Purple are all secondary sources

It looks like a real mixed bag. Welp. Here's a smaller mixed bag.

tutankhalmond

Since leaving my forever tomb, I recently heard that walking on walking on broken glass song. Pretty good, not gonna lie (ngl). No relevance to today's riddle or anything just some input.

Sherbert Hoover

Working hard, thank you!
no i don't think i can, op

ChubbyChecker

e: noooo! i missed the deadline

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae
That's a tricky one

e: sonnet

https://i.imgur.com/9jTkSUL.mp4
Thanks to vanisher for the paradise sig! :)

tutankhalmond

ChubbyChecker posted:

e: noooo! i missed the deadline

the judges (Time Eternal and Space Infinite) says it still counts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyChecker

tutankhalmond posted:

the judges (Time Eternal and Space Infinite) says it still counts

:tipshat: