Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

C#'s great in Enterprise if you're not locked into Java already, there's plenty of times that's the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

MikeJF posted:

C#'s great in Enterprise if you're not locked into Java already, there's plenty of times that's the case.

:wrong:

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

MikeJF posted:

i mean idk async/await is nice i guess but i hate p much everything else about it

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

MikeJF posted:

C#'s great

Hell yeah it is brother!!

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

rust now has async await :twisted:

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

like 60 percent of my job is reviewing other people's code and let me tell you, all programming languages are rear end for their own reasons.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
any clojurists itt

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
i just watched this video of rich hickey talking about it https://youtu.be/aSEQfqNYNAc

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

bossy lady posted:

like 60 percent of my job is reviewing other people's code and let me tell you, all programming languages are rear end for their own reasons.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

bossy lady posted:

some are definitely more crap than others
looking at you js/ts
I spent almost two years writing typescript crap and the ecosystem blows a rancid bag of dog dicks and fought me every step of the way

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference

olives black posted:

any clojurists itt

One of my (un-ironic) favorite emacs youtubers is learning Clojure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMWLIgG986I

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Hey just so everyone knows: JavaScript sucks and is a terrible language hth

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
who cares. js and php power most of the internet. its poo poo all the way down

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Zugzwang posted:

C and C++ are both good for writing Python/R extensions if you’re a science nerd and need to speed up performance-intensive hot loops or whatever. Hell, all the major data packages for Python are C/C++/even Fortran under the hood anyway

This is the best kind of development work.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

thathonkey posted:

who cares. js and php power most of the internet. its poo poo all the way down

"looks at the thread title*

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

bigperm posted:

I like C#, it's a cool language. It seems like it's always the wrong language choice though. Microsoft loves to brag that it's good for web (it is not), games (maybe it's okay), enterprise (java is never going away), desktop (even microsoft doesn't use it), IoT (they mean raspberry pi's, not esp32s), cli (literally any other language is better), and mobile (lol).

Yup. I guess if Microsoft didn't change frameworks at the same rate I change my underwear then maybe I'd be ok with working with c#

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

bossy lady posted:

Also this

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

MikeJF posted:

This is the gospel truth. Also Java is kinda loving bad.

Also, also, WPF is the only UI Framework that isn't miserable to work with on this planet.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Modern Java is fine
Kotlin is great
Groovy was really swell too

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
If you hate web development or a specific language then it's on you for doing programming instead of becoming an actor or an artist or something else. Stop burdening others with your self-shame.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Honestly, in a lot of circumstances the actual language ends up mattering less to how easy/fun/etc it is to code in it than 'how good is the available intellisense and other tools'.

Especially anything enterprise-scale.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

syntaxfunction posted:

If you hate web development or a specific language then it's on you for doing programming instead of becoming an actor or an artist or something else. Stop burdening others with your self-shame.

now you tell me

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
c# owns

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

what do you like about it

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

it’s good actually

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

lmao if you’re not using typescript and react. just lmao

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

web development loving sucks but then i found squarespace an easy to use web tool please use my referral and like and subscribe my post

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

olives black posted:

what do you like about it

linq. large standard library and large number of open source third party libraries. nuget is mostly all right. supports all the kinds of projects i, personally, want to create. relatively few gotchas and surprising parts. mostly designed in line with the python "there should be one obvious way to do it" idea, which is the main good thing about python. statically typed. they add improvements to it at a good rate now. compile times are fast and error messages are usually helpful.

and it's the main language I use it at work, so naturally I know it pretty well which makes me predisposed to forgive it its flaws, which are mostly minor.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
also, it is going to destroy javascript and when it does, i will stan for it even harder

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

javascript’s main advantage is it makes goons furious

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I have some sort of impostor syndrome around programming. Not at work, where I'm easily the most competent guy in the department - but that's arguably part of the problem. I write scripts and one-off analysis code at a bioinformatics group, and basicslly nothing I write has a lifetime of more than a few months; most of it is only really used once or twice. The only long-running projects I have are some inventory tracking tools: a python+flask backend, a web frontend with a bit of React as an excuse to try that, and a small C++/Qt desktop program. None of them have needed a single line changed this year.

Yesterday I wrote about a hundred lines of ImageJ macro, and then another hundred lines or so of R to read the results, glue them together nicely, and make some pretty plots. That code will probably be used exactly once more for another set of samples. Tomorrow will probably be more R. Today is just busywork shipping files on USB disks to people and playing with the backup system.

Basically, I write a reasonable bit of code per week, but it's either alone or helping someone with what they've written for their research, and nothing is large or permanent. The upside is that it's nice - I skip most of the non-fun parts of modern development. The downside is that I feel really outside the mainstream, and I don't really have anyone to talk to about how I do what I do. When I run into people who are actually employed to contribute to a larger software project, I have very little to add.

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Dec 8, 2022

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Computer viking posted:

I have some sort of impostor syndrome around programming. Not at work, where I'm easily the most competent guy in the department - but that's arguably part of the problem. I write scripts and one-off analysis code at a bioinformatics group, and basicslly nothing I write has a lifetime of more than a few months; most of it is only really used once or twice. The only long-running projects I have are some inventory tracking tools: a python+flask backend, a web frontend with a bit of React as an excuse to try that, and a small C++/Qt desktop program. None of them have needed a single line changed this year.

Yesterday I wrote about a hundred lines of ImageJ macro, and then another hundred lines or so of R to read the results, glue them together nicely, and make some pretty plots. That code will probably be used exactly once more for another set of samples. Tomorrow will probably be more R. Today is just busywork shipping files on USB disks to people and playing with the backup system.

Basically, I write a reasonable bit of code per week, but it's either alone or helping someone with what they've written for their research, and nothing is large or permanent. The upside is that it's nice - I skip most of the non-fun parts of modern development. The downside is that I feel really outside the mainstream, and I don't really have anyone to talk to about how I do what I do. When I run into people who are actually employed to contribute to a larger software project, I have very little to add.

cool, thanks

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Computer viking posted:

Hello staff data scientist

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Smugworth posted:

Hello staff data scientist

"Special advisor, bioinformatics" - but yeah. :)

I feel like a guy who has built a lot of ok garden sheds at an architect's conference a lot of the time.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I have finally been freed from working in NodeJS hell!

... instead now I gotta do Perl :negative:

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

ultrafilter posted:

This is the best kind of development work.
Finally started learning C++, so eventually I’ll be able to figure out if I agree with you, or if I should’ve just become a plumber.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Perestroika posted:

I have finally been freed from working in NodeJS hell!

... instead now I gotta do Perl :negative:

New code, or trying to understand what was left behind by someone else? Perl seems like one of the languages where that makes an especially large difference.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Hammerite posted:

also, it is going to destroy javascript and when it does, i will stan for it even harder

any day now

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

syntaxfunction posted:

I literally have no other skills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

git apologist posted:

lmao if you’re not using typescript and react. just lmao

They just need a few more layers on top, you can still smell the javascript cesspit under there.