Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Trying to learn this and there's just too much to learn and it's all an entangled mess. Like why the hell are there 300 JavaScript frameworks, what's wrong with you people?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Get a real job like digging ditches or driving a dragula

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Learn to code for smartphones instead of old obsolete desktops OP

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
No one is good at all the web things. Just start somewhere and you'll be rewarded.

In my opinion, learn vanilla javascript first, then react, then react + your favorite SSR framework (next js and remix are the ones I hear most about, but I don't know poo poo about remix)

After that you can learn angular or whatever else. TypeScript is also a biggie but if you don't already understand OOP it can be overwhelming at first.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
Just copy and paste from stackoverflow like the rest of us

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
javashit

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
Hey YOSPOS

Henry Lee Mucus
Dec 11, 2003

SQUARESPACE DOT COM

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Seaniqua posted:

No one is good at all the web things. Just start somewhere and you'll be rewarded.

In my opinion, learn vanilla javascript first, then react, then react + your favorite SSR framework (next js and remix are the ones I hear most about, but I don't know poo poo about remix)

After that you can learn angular or whatever else. TypeScript is also a biggie but if you don't already understand OOP it can be overwhelming at first.

Thanks, I had never even heard of SSR frameworks before :wtc: I was trying to learn Angular actually

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

im going to learn the enigma code, thats got to be a valuable skill right?

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Computers loving suck

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
learn 2 dig

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Angular is trash learn react
I guess

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Smugworth posted:

Computers loving suck

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Or learn a language that doesn't suck poo poo (anything JS based, including typescript) and learn JVM language like Kotlin

Spring Boot is ok and popular

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
OP pray every day to the good Lord that he didn't make you deal with printers

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Big Scary Owl posted:

Trying to learn this and there's just too much to learn and it's all an entangled mess. Like why the hell are there 300 JavaScript frameworks, what's wrong with you people?

Because JavaScript sucks rear end, meaning there's huge demand for tools that make it suck less. Except everyone and their sister took a stab at that in different and often conflicting directions, anesthetizing the pain of working with JS enough to stave off its death, but not actually making things appreciably less stupid.

I, too, really hate web development.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Because JavaScript sucks rear end

Well said

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I know a little bit of html if you need help.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Smugworth posted:

Or learn a language that doesn't suck poo poo (anything JS based, including typescript) and learn JVM language like Kotlin

Spring Boot is ok and popular

Yeah Spring Boot is what I'm learning alongside Angular. It's very overwhelming cause there's so many choices and I don't know which is "best"

Because JavaScript sucks rear end, meaning there's huge demand for tools that make it suck less. Except everyone and their sister took a stab at that in different and often conflicting directions, anesthetizing the pain of working with JS enough to stave off its death, but not actually making things appreciably less stupid.

I, too, really hate web development.

Would it be possible to kill javascript and come up with a replacement? It's so confusing with all these frameworks, there's no real standard it seems like

Murdstone posted:

I know a little bit of html if you need help.

Thanks I appreciate it. I feel like HTML is definitely the least of the problems so far (compared to javascript for example)

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

The problem isn't creating a replacement, it's getting the replacement to be supported by all the major browsers AND getting people to actually use it. It's not like anyone said "JavaScript would make the perfect standard," literally ever. It was just the first language to largely accomplish that, back when that was still feasible.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

I don't know what the best path for a self taught dev is to get their foot in the door, but I do know that I hate the gently caress out of JS/TS tooling.

Angular is a front end JS/TS framework, Spring Boot is a backend JVM framework. I like fiddling with JSON and for-loops so I stick to backend.

You should hit up the Newbie Programming Interviews thread.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Big Scary Owl posted:

That's exactly word by word what I thought when I tried to learn web dev.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

write your website in c and make users download a compiled binary

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
Come to the fun side of user facing software and join us in the world of desktop apps where the frsmeworks are often sometimes rarely good.

Well, at least it's not the hellscape that is JS,

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Smugworth posted:

Computers loving suck

computers and the internet has completely destroyed the boomer generations brains lol

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

computers and the internet allow us to experience alienation together

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

Big Scary Owl posted:

Thanks, I had never even heard of SSR frameworks before :wtc: I was trying to learn Angular actually

"SSR frameworks" is not even a totally accurate term, because those tools do a ton more stuff than just static rendering. I just truly don't know a better word for it. Sometimes I refer to them as "javascript framework frameworks" because they provide practical architecture (and ease-of-use) to existing javascript frameworks.

I only recommend React and TypeScript because I see a lot of those job openings. Angular is also totally fine and good to learn. I will say that, in my experience, a lot of companies using Angular also use TypeScript.

I have used React, Angular, and Vue. I like all of them for their own reasons. But learning any popular framework will make you more hirable. Then just go from there and keep learning, it's extremely fun.

Haters gonna hate, and I'm a Java developer in my heart, but JavaScript has become a full-fledged big boy programming language over the last 20 years.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
For real OP though. I started in Web. Circumstantially I ended up doing some Desktop work and I've never looked back. Desktop is so much more fun to work on and I don't think you can actually pay me enough to ever touch Web again.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Long live tables.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Nov 17, 2022

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

Duck and Cover posted:

Long live iframes.

you joke, but in TYOOL 2022 they are still everywhere

edit: oooooh this was the nerdiest edit I've ever loving seen

edit 2: pointing it out is nerdier than the edit itself. I am pagliacci

GRECOROMANGRABASS
May 14, 2020
Javascript is a weird language. Everything is an object, OP. hth.

If you're feeling javascript framework fatigue, you could check out the multibook series "You don't know JavaScript". You'll learn some stuff, but more importantly, you may become closer to the kind of permanent imposter syndrome that leads to productive reliance on StackOverflow and Copilot. This will bring you closer to parity with your peers.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Just use WordPress lol

marcelmouse
Jul 4, 2006
Social scientist. Rodent.

The problem isn't creating a replacement, it's getting the replacement to be supported by all the major browsers AND getting people to actually use it. It's not like anyone said "JavaScript would make the perfect standard," literally ever. It was just the first language to largely accomplish that, back when that was still feasible.

No, at the time we were actually all "this is total poo poo. why are we all using this poo poo, again?"

Could be worse... http://www.yourwebsite.com/cgi-bin/youcouldhavehadperl.pl

Maybe that's why we were willing to accept js?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
The only good web development involves spiders. Motivational speaking at spider farms. Yeah.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

marcelmouse posted:

No, at the time we were actually all "this is total poo poo. why are we all using this poo poo, again?"

Could be worse... http://www.yourwebsite.com/cgi-bin/youcouldhavehadperl.pl

Maybe that's why we were willing to accept js?

Oh god I forgot about perl, jesus

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Nov 17, 2022

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

flubber nuts posted:

im going to learn the enigma code, thats got to be a valuable skill right?

Once you’ve mastered that, you should check out the ligma code

Slayerjerman
Nov 27, 2005

by sebmojo
Build your entire website in Flash, require visitors to install Flash Player and Shockwave. Profit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
HTML peaked when they added the <marquee> tag imo