Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I hate you all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

yeah no

as in "Wanna go do (activity?" "Yean no I'd rather not"

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I'd probably get more annoyed if someone used such a pretentious term as "lavatory" more than I would if they used some antiquated term like "I'm going to go powder my nose".

Receipt comes after payment though. I've mostly heard "bill". It works in america and in europe equally well.

Its a bill. A bill of sale is issued for goods and services to breakdown how much money is being charged and for what. You would pay a bill with a cheque. I don't understand why restaurants and bars would be any exception

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
does it also bother you when paper currency is referred to as a bill (e.g. dollar bill) ?

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Pick posted:

does it also bother you when paper currency is referred to as a bill (e.g. dollar bill) ?

No thats what its called. I have heard British people refer to paper money as a note and they can keep that

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Thatll be fourteen five pounds sterling

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Any redundancies. Being asked to enter my "PIN number".

Edit: this is cathartic, thank you thread for giving me an alternative to drink for five minutes.

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

i love to enter my PIN number at the ATM machine

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

I'll also include all sayings from popular shows like game of thrones. Going around saying "valar morghulis" or "what is dead may never die" or "the night is dark and full of terrors" at work makes you look like a moron.

The same goes for people who quote doctor who and use britishisms in real life just because they heard david tennant say it.

I have never heard anybody do this poo poo, even among friends nerdier than I. You keep bad company.

E: I still don't think that's as bad as saying internet-isms in real life, but I also don't watch or read GoT garbage so I'd prolly just assume anybody that said those things plays too much D&D or something.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jul 30, 2017

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Saying schedule like shedyule

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

moose face posted:

Saying schedule like shedyule

This one all depends on culture, IMO. Like hearing a Brit say it doesn't bother me in the least. But a fellow American doing it sounds weird as gently caress.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Honky Dong Country posted:

I have never heard anybody do this poo poo, even among friends nerdier than I. You keep bad company.

E: I still don't think that's as bad as saying internet-isms in real life, but I also don't watch or read GoT garbage so I'd prolly just assume anybody that said those things plays too much D&D or something.

It's inherent to the job. When I was in grad school there was an office that was obsessed with modded nerf guns and they would shoot you if you ever had the misfortune to have to go ask one of them for something. Also those koosh ball things.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
When people say turrent instead of turret.

There's no loving N in it.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
It's an online game thing, but:

"I'm out of money, sooooo...."

"I just got shot, sooooo..."

"Well I didn't want to, suhhhh"

"That's kinda gay, sehhhh....."

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

It's inherent to the job. When I was in grad school there was an office that was obsessed with modded nerf guns and they would shoot you if you ever had the misfortune to have to go ask one of them for something. Also those koosh ball things.

Dick sucking factory?

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

What the gently caress man, your job is awful.

COMRADES posted:

When people say turrent instead of turret.

There's no loving N in it.

Ughhhhh.

Also invisible instead of invincible and in-VOL-nerable instead of in-VUL-nerable.

Yes I play video games why do you ask?

E: And pacific instead of specific. SON OF A BITCH.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jul 30, 2017

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
The main thing I've learned from this thread is that no matter what word is used to describe that room where the toilet is, someone's gonna get bitchy about it.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Blue Train posted:

Dick sucking factory?

Astronomy. Where the worst of the worst smart nerds go.

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009
"It is what it is" is what you say when somebody hosed up real bad but you don't want to rub their face in it. It has it's uses.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
"Slacks" for pants
"Babe" for significant other
Adding an unnecessary "s" at the end of words like in "checkings account"

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

checkings account

wut

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Stupid variations on lol. Like lel or lul. What the gently caress is up with that? Lul even means dick in dutch.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Jim Barris posted:

"It is what it is" is what you say when somebody hosed up real bad but you don't want to rub their face in it. It has it's uses.

I use it when someone says something I just don't know how to respond to. Like "my wife just left me" or "i'm getting fired". Pretty much anything you say in those situations is going to come off bad so it's best to go with the least offensive thing to say.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Calling people "badass", it is almost always about some bitch idiot who is not badass in the least

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
At work I overhear / caption phone calls

loving adult children calling their parents mommy or daddy is so irritating

Helpimscared
Jun 16, 2014

Better Fred Than Dead posted:

At work I overhear / caption phone calls

loving adult children calling their parents mommy or daddy is so irritating

what a terrible job

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Dicky B posted:

how do you feel about titties

Pretty good usually.

I hear a lot of dumb poo poo in the midwest that I hate, a lot of it has already been covered.

"Hey, where's your mom?"
"She's over to John's"

and

"When I was pregnant for Beth, I ..." because Beth is the child and the statement does not make sense to me.

Unknowable Hole
Feb 2, 2005

Pillbug
Supposably

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Helpimscared posted:

what a terrible job

People who constantly use the other persons name on the phone also irritate me. Who else are you talking to?

Also people's verbal ticks: "you know," "so anyways," "but anyhow" just hang up the phone grandma. Jfc.

Thankfully this job is now over

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Jim Barris posted:

People using "it's" when they actually meant "its" bothers me.

Monos Bullet
Dec 6, 2016

Yea, and I say unto you, bringeth me a machiatto of caramel, with crickets on top.
"don't normalize this" after Trump won but everything has been normalized now and nobody uses it anymore, thank god.

"cheers"

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Adding an unnecessary "s" at the end of words like in "checkings account"

Should've went with "maths".

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
When people say "I've never been" rather than "I've never been there".....or any similar variation.

Monos Bullet
Dec 6, 2016

Yea, and I say unto you, bringeth me a machiatto of caramel, with crickets on top.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

it's what it's

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

CaptainSarcastic posted:

*my niece dies*

Well...It's what it's.

edit

gently caress you what was that one second before me

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

I work at a bank and after you hear it a dozen times a day, EVERY day, it starts to get to you.

Monos Bullet
Dec 6, 2016

extra stout posted:

*my niece dies*

Well...It's what it's.

edit

gently caress you what was that one second before me

Not to be rude, but please read the thread before adding another version. If you would have done so, you would have known you've posted a serious downgrade.
I am anything but a coxcomb, I am not a professional and I always welcome upgrades over my versions. But if upgrading it should be a real upgrade and this clearly isn't.

The version I posted here was mastered adequately. Now you added a version that's basically the same as the original with supposedly some repaired humor, but still pretty unreadable as it has still one channel phase reversed and poor EQ'ing. It can't be considered being an upgrade in my opinion, especially not to the version provided in this thread.

Again I don't want to be rude. Like everyone, I appreciate the effort and often hard work that's needed to make funny posts. But I think it's basically not appropriate to present something as an upgrade without having read what you're upgrading.

cheers

The Archaic
Jul 6, 2003

Are you a consultant archaeologist in North America?

Unionize today!

PM me and ask me how your future can be history!
*asks you to do something* "Please and thank you".

gently caress off I have no idea why this phrase irks me but it does.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

This one drive me nuts. A chinese grad student joined our group when I was still in school and to this day he ends every single email with "cheers, (name)" because that's what our british advisor did. Even if it is the fifth email in the past few minutes, always the stupid cheers. Stop it.

The Archaic posted:

*asks you to do something* "Please and thank you".

gently caress off I have no idea why this phrase irks me but it does.

this is probably idiots trying to emulate ron swanson and they deserve all the annoyance you have to give them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meatwolfe
Oct 31, 2011

Clamps McGraw posted:

"yaaaaas" is west scotland / glaswegian slang

as is "poo poo tickets"

sounds like OP hates Scottish people

It wasn't the op it was me, and ive got nothing against Scotland. I enjoy whisky, movies featuring james mcavoy and the occasional irvine welsh novel.

• Locked thread