Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

quote:

SCP-2945-A are only visible to the subject,

What? Then how do they know what the chorus said to the subjects? Unless the subjects have eidetic memories or are trained transcriptionists it is actually pretty hard to accurately repeat or write down an entire chorus after only hearing it once. I also seriously doubt the average D-class even catching words like "Hephaestus" on the first hearing.

Testing it in the world seems awfully dumb though. I guess they don't want to test it inside a foundation facility, in case it develops into a tragedy or farce involving a containment breach. Though it seems like a site dedicated to only this one skip would still be better than releasing it into the world for testing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

D's having Tinder access is unlikely

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

quote:

After approximately one hundred hours of continuous SCP-2945-A possession, SCP-2945-A will begin to manipulate the events in the subject's life via unknown means. The choices the subject snd those around them make will be made to mirror the conventions of Greek theatre.

I like how there is no indication of how anyone discovered this, and none of the tests demonstrate this in any way.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

I was anticipating a Muppets joke at the end too

Grand Gigas
Jul 2, 2006

True heroes always show up late.
Okay, this might be a longshot, but I'm trying to remember an SCP I'm pretty sure I remember reading a bit back, and for the life of me I can't remember it.

It's a computer? Or a usb device? Or something? That part doesn't matter, but it has like files containing images (gifs maybe?) of three people and a new file is made each time someone looks at the picture. And it's like this weird visual version of telephone in that the new pictures show like mistakes or things the people thought they saw, so it ends up getting weird and gross with the people being murdered by each other or looking into the camera covered in blood or whatever spooky poo poo. I remember there being this implication that it was the souls of three people trapped in it being forced to do these things over and over? So it sort of had the vibe of that Cavs game SCP.

So yeah. Sorry if that didn't make sense. This has just been bothering me all day.

Polybius91
Jun 4, 2012

Cobrastan is not a real country.
That'd be 1231.

Grand Gigas
Jul 2, 2006

Thank you so much! I'm glad to see it's a popular one, too.

Grand Gigas has a new favorite as of 05:51 on Jun 3, 2016

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

quote:

Addendum-01: Due to the high level of similarity between SCP-1231 and other encountered "soultraps," it has been deemed likely that the entities SCP-1231-1, -2, and -3 are real in some capacity. In light of this, I am formally requesting that testing on this object be halted. -Researcher ████, Ethics Committee

What an absurd leap of logic. They very nature of SCPs, the thing that distinguishes them from non-anomalies, is that they do not follow the rules. Assuming that two SCPs work the same way because they are similar in nature is not just misguided. It's oxymoronic, because doing so assumes that there is some ruleset which they must both adhere to, when the definition of an SCP is something which acts in a manner contradictory to the rules of the universe as we understand them.

Grand Gigas
Jul 2, 2006

Ariong posted:

What an absurd leap of logic. They very nature of SCPs, the thing that distinguishes them from non-anomalies, is that they do not follow the rules. Assuming that two SCPs work the same way because they are similar in nature is not just misguided. It's oxymoronic, because doing so assumes that there is some ruleset which they must both adhere to, when the definition of an SCP is something which acts in a manner contradictory to the rules of the universe as we understand them.

Isn't the whole SCP Foundation's thing though supposed to be attempting to find some order within the anomalous, tho? Like without that there wouldn't be reliable containment procedures.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Ariong posted:

Nah, pretty sure they have a few aliens and weird animals that aren't particularly supernatural.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Grand Gigas posted:

Isn't the whole SCP Foundation's thing though supposed to be attempting to find some order within the anomalous, tho? Like without that there wouldn't be reliable containment procedures.

The idea is to study each individual object to ascertain how it works and generate containment procedures accordingly. That's a good plan. What is not a good plan is to examine a single object, figure out how it works, assume every object that appears to have a similar effect works in exactly the same way, and therefore use exactly the same procedures for it.

For example, if one object is capable of phasing through solid matter, but testing reveals that it cannot phase through lead, should every object capable of phasing be encased in lead? Of course not.

I just think the author should have provided some measure of evidence that the people in the videos are real in some way, rather than having a nameless employee assume that they are and everyone else just believe them. I mean, I'm sure that there are plenty of SCPs that work like this where the things depicted are not real. Why, then, should we not draw conclusions based on them as well? It just seems like a lazy way to get the spooky point across.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

More of a furnace, really
I agree that it's lazy writing, but I don't think it's inherently ludicrous that the Foundation would make assumptions of certain objects based on their interaction with other anomalies. Some SCPs are clearly connected, coming from related sources or relying on similar principles, and I assume that's what's being implied here; 1231 is similar to some specific subset of "soultrap" anomalies, and the Ethics Committee decided that was enough. Even beyond that, though, concepts like "spatial anomaly", "Beta-Gimmel infohazard" and even the system of object classes demonstrate that the Foundation clearly believes that SCPs can and should be sorted into categories, which are then used to inform the containment and research procedures for specific objects based on previous experiences with similar ones.

Not that I like it as a narrative device, mind. It wouldn't bother me so much if it would at least imply something specific about the similar objects or shed some light on Foundation testing practices or best of all just tell us how the researchers came to that conclusion rather than using this cop-out but nope, it's just "yeah these people are probably real". In fact, the whole thing strikes me as poorly written and I'm very confused as to why this has been around for over 4 years and garnered a respectable 300+ upvotes rather than barely cracking the double digits and being deleted after the third month.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Different time period of its creation. It definitely has an interesting kernel of an idea (how a memory of something is fluid between people and over time) that hasn't been explored.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

I remember when the guy was in the process of writing that one, and he asked me to submit an example of what my 'author avatar' would see.

I said "my author avatar would take off his glasses and only be able to see a blurry smear of color".

Incidentally, you see that number of anomalous video thumbnails? That's the (dynamically updated) number of SCPs.

freemandela
Apr 18, 2007

Ariong posted:

That decision was made by the Ethics Committee. Their entire purpose is to mitigate harm to the SCPs under the Foundation's control. Even if they had no proof that it was a soul trap, the similarity might have caused them to err on the side of caution. However...

The researchers and the O5 in the second addendum didn't follow the Ethics Committee's recommendation. Hidden text in the article indicates that the researchers are continuing to experiment, even if the consensus is that it is a soul trap. The third addendum is designed to mislead the Ethics Committee by acknowledging the increase in the number of videos while claiming ignorance as to the cause.

freemandela has a new favorite as of 07:56 on Jun 13, 2016

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I feel like I'm the only one that likes the Ethics Committe (as generally depicted). The Foundation is like its writers (how can we make this the most edgy thing), the Ethics Committe is like us goons (You don't have to do that, what is wrong with you).

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

MisterBibs posted:

I feel like I'm the only one that likes the Ethics Committe

What on earth makes you think that? The ethics comittee has more potential fpr interesting stories than any other part of the foundation imo.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

MisterBibs posted:

I feel like I'm the only one that likes the Ethics Committe (as generally depicted). The Foundation is like its writers (how can we make this the most edgy thing), the Ethics Committe is like us goons (You don't have to do that, what is wrong with you).

*raises hand* Also an Ethics Committee fan.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

The problem with the ethics committee is that they're often just used as a cheap way to add edginess. Instead of just writing about about Procedure DPRKaust-Montaukrape, now you can show how dark things really are by specifically writing that Procedure DPRKaust-Montaukrape is Ethics Committee approved.

freemandela
Apr 18, 2007

^^^^^ Agreed, but that's just lazy writing. If the Ethics Committee didn't exist, they would find another way to be edgy.

I like the Ethics Committee because it serves as an interesting contrast to the Foundation's pragmatism. Unfortunately, the Ethics Committee is usually used either as a nominal authority that everyone ignores, or a hidden conspiracy within the Foundation that pretends to be incompetent. EDIT: Or a way to justify the author's garbage ideas (thanks for pointing this out LoB)

I actually like the use of the Ethics Committee in SCP-1231, because it shows both their power and their irrelevance. The O5 agreed to end research, but secretly allowed the study of 1231 to continue. The Ethics Committee decision had enough influence within the upper echelons of the Foundation to make the O5 publicly end experimentation, but the Committee didn't have enough oversight to monitor 1231 for continued testing.

freemandela has a new favorite as of 10:55 on Jun 13, 2016

Raiche
Oct 29, 2007

my dad posted:

*raises hand* Also an Ethics Committee fan.

Also signing onto the Ethics Committee fanclub. I would love a series looking at the awful choices they make every day, as apparently they have to do everything from stop idiot researchers from feeding D-class pudding until they die to getting them to stop feeding souls to the soul trap for no reason.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I feel like the ethics committee works best as just a background element. That one story about them is really all that needs to be said.

Raiche posted:

Also signing onto the Ethics Committee fanclub. I would love a series looking at the awful choices they make every day, as apparently they have to do everything from stop idiot researchers from feeding D-class pudding until they die to getting them to stop feeding souls to the soul trap for no reason.

This could work as a comedy series though. The ethics committee as basically being handlers trying to keep control of all the deranged psychopaths the foundation apparently hires as researchers.

Maybe there are no SCPs and the foundation's real purpose is just to keep those people out of the general population.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I feel like the ethics committee works best as just a background element. That one story about them is really all that needs to be said.

This could work as a comedy series though. The ethics committee as basically being handlers trying to keep control of all the deranged psychopaths the foundation apparently hires as researchers.

Maybe there are no SCPs and the foundation's real purpose is just to keep those people out of the general population.

Montak is one obvious test.

The giant unkillable lizard is a less obvious one. The number of retirement proposals an inmate gives each week is used as a benchmark for how well their destructive tendencies are being controlled.

173 is just a statue, and the 'only moves when you aren't looking at it' is how they cheap out on the prop budget.

Raiche
Oct 29, 2007

The Cheshire Cat posted:

If I were a better writer, I could seriously get in on this. Scp-1282 is what came out when I clicked on random. And christ, if there was an ethics committee, they would be all over this. No attempts at any real experiments, and some idiot says "I wonder if they'd kill their buddy?" No to mention testing it by 'allowing them to become mating partners' is just creepy. This boring SCP would actually be totally more interesting as a look into the clearly deranged and uneducated researcher. Actually, it would be a better SCP for practically any reason, but yeah.

In the no-SCP world where this is just an Asylum, I assume this is the file for grown up Lenny.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Raiche posted:

If I were a better writer, I could seriously get in on this. Scp-1282 is what came out when I clicked on random. And christ, if there was an ethics committee, they would be all over this. No attempts at any real experiments, and some idiot says "I wonder if they'd kill their buddy?" No to mention testing it by 'allowing them to become mating partners' is just creepy. This boring SCP would actually be totally more interesting as a look into the clearly deranged and uneducated researcher. Actually, it would be a better SCP for practically any reason, but yeah.

In the no-SCP world where this is just an Asylum, I assume this is the file for grown up Lenny.

http://www.redbubble.com/people/scpickuplines/works/21472207-before-devising?grid_pos=50&p=poster

That's one of the things that I'm proudest of, re: the Ethics Committee: that the notion of the Foundation at least trying to not be evil has permeated into the fanbase.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Raiche posted:

The really annoying thing about those tests is that they've obviously just been thrown in because "you gotta have tests!". Without the tests it's a great little article about reverse were-rabbits

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Splicer posted:

The really annoying thing about those tests is that they've obviously just been thrown in because "you gotta have tests!". Without the tests it's a great little article about reverse were-rabbits

Imagine that eventually, one of the guards feels guilty, and sends a message to the Ethics Committee.

And then someone comes by and asks the doctors some rather pointed questions. Were these experiments really necessary? Once you realized that you were causing suffering to intelligent beings, was there a reason to continue?

I see.

And what was that reason?

I see. Well. Thank you for your time, Doctor.

and then a week later the doctor gets transferred to another project.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
SCP from 20 years ago - there is a 5th Young One. The https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dG2L4QtAGGQ evidence.

I'm afraid containment procedures have obviously failed. It's now a SCP-EX.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
I'm thinking of an SCP based on the EMDrive probably-fake propulsion device, it will be an anomalous newtons-laws defying propulsion device that works on the basis of measurement and calculation errors by the people who designed it. part of the story will be the foundation deliberately creating confusion about the physics behind them so everyone misunderstands how they work, allowing them to be mass-produced and used

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
The foundation isn't really about mass producing and using stuff, it's about containing it.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

my dad posted:

The foundation isn't really about mass producing and using stuff, it's about containing it.

I know, part of the concept is that the scp is understandable and controllable, and given that it basically makes space travel free they'd take the chance.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

my dad posted:

There's been a couple of entries where they end up using Safe class things to create mass produced products under their fronts.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

fishmech posted:

There's been a couple of entries where they end up using Safe class things to create mass produced products under their fronts.

Like hand dryers.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Cumslut1895 posted:

I'm thinking of an SCP based on the EMDrive probably-fake propulsion device, it will be an anomalous newtons-laws defying propulsion device that works on the basis of measurement and calculation errors by the people who designed it. part of the story will be the foundation deliberately creating confusion about the physics behind them so everyone misunderstands how they work, allowing them to be mass-produced and used

Farscape prequel fanfic?

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Like hand dryers.

In case anyone doesn't get the reference:

http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-313

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Avshalom posted:

you could draw an anthropomorphic toaster with red-hot slots and someone on the internet will still want to have sex with it

Never not reposting this: https://www.literotica.com/s/sex-objects (:nws:)

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Death to Videodrome! Long live the new flesh!

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

An AWCY piece that makes an actual artistic point and does so without killing anyone:

http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-2351

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
A neat article sadly tainted by the association.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Splicer posted:

A neat article sadly tainted by the association.

Are the AWCY articles mostly bad? The only other one I've seen is the non-shark, and that seemed pretty neat.