Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Baddog posted:

This is the real failure, but they don't want to talk about it. Yes online sucks if you don't put any effort into it. From teachers, parents, or kids.

I approached it as "I need to step up and help my kid out with this, help him organize, monitor to be sure he's paying attention, be sure he does homework. All the poo poo that he was getting help with at school, that's on me now. In return the teachers should have modified their plans a bit, and done something besides "watch a video and do some worksheets".

But yah, the majority just punted and it did suck.

This has always been a thing even with kids in school. What school you went to never mattered very much - its how much parental involvement there is at home in reinforcing concepts and learning. Some schools just do a better job of covering for it because teachers work themselves to the bone to try to keep kids at least minimally caught up but the kids that really excel have parents at home who care and try and that translated more strongly with zoom school.

I knew a few of the IT admins for school and the pandemic was miserable because they were so underfunded and it was so hard to teach teachers how to use what few tools existed and there's so many poor kids in this country that just didnt have the resources - nevermind the school having to give the kids ipads and laptops etc, my friend in kentucky was having to give them cell cards and their program and funding didnt cover everyone who really needed them.

The pandemic was just a wide open view of how loving destitute people and some schools are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
Our society is not the least robust and it's wearing on me quite heavily these days.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Next pandemic likely to be caused by flu virus, scientists warn

lol O.K., eggheads :rolleyes:

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006
Can anyone explain the mechanism of Covixyl nasal spray?

Is it more/less effective than NO sprays like Enovid or the iota carrageenan sprays?

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Strep Vote posted:

Our society is not the least robust and it's wearing on me quite heavily these days.

We have the tools:

https://twitter.com/rachelmetz/status/1781013667989106932

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Withdrawing from WHO was the way to go

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
If I saw every other organization in the world stepping on a rake and getting smacked in the face, I would choose not to step on that rake at this time.

I guess that I’m just built different.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
the Butlerian Jihad was right

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

I'm sorry but what

https://twitter.com/wfaa/status/1781533286314987557

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

these projections keep getting better even as the actuals keep getting worse

well anyway

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

i mean all it takes is a rabid bat biting or scratching it. Its why if you see a bat in your house you are pretty much required to go get a rabies shot even if you arent sure if you got got.

silicone thrills has issued a correction as of 01:39 on Apr 21, 2024

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
it’s the mild rabies, the one that you want

Indoor Dying
Dec 13, 2022
If you don't give yourself a little rabies your body won't learn to fight off rabies

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Steve Yun posted:

the Butlerian Jihad was right

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

raging cowbids

in my town there are a few attacks of rabid animals a year. if you see an animal and the vibes aren't right, scram

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

silicone thrills posted:

i mean all it takes is a rabid bat biting or scratching it. Its why if you see a bat in your house you are pretty much required to go get a rabies shot even if you arent sure if you got got.

depends tbh, twice in my life I've had a bat in my living space. Both times the health department here said that unless I was sleeping at some point when the bat might have been in the room, they wouldn't do anything.

Bonus bat content from July 2023, when I found out I had a colony of them living in my new house:

Apr 7, 2003

My wife has a 24 year old guy who works for her who told her that he found a bat in his bedroom radiator and just went to sleep and came to work the next day, because he is apparently insane.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
https://x.com/meetjess/status/1781736630069452859?s=46

eyyyyy

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

dude was complaining about the pain of blood clots from bodybuilding. uh, yikes? Maybe not the greatest idea?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Platystemon posted:

A stirring victory for #healthequity 🥰

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

Gigavaxxed?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

My wife has a 24 year old guy who works for her who told her that he found a bat in his bedroom radiator and just went to sleep and came to work the next day, because he is apparently insane.

I'm the guy who plays with wild birds every day and even I know you don't take risks with bats. :eyepop:

We don't have rabies here in Australia but our flying foxes and one species of insectivorous bat carry Australian bat lyssavirus (ABLV) which is very closely related to rabies (also a lyssavirus) and the recommended treatment is administering the rabies vaccine, so the difference is mostly academic. There's only been 3 verified human deaths so luckily it's super super rare, especially considering that there's millions and millions of flying foxes living in close proximity to humans. Huge flocks of them fly over my suburb every dusk, there's usually several in the big tree behind my house making a racket every night and when I go walking after sundown I'll quite often unknowingly pass right underneath one feeding on fruit in a tree overhanging the path and it'll suddenly burst out of the tree right above my head and frantically flap away into the night
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_bat_lyssavirus

Of the three confirmed human deaths only one of them was bitten by a bat, the other two were merely scratched but that's apparently all it takes. Some kids were seen playing with a flying fox in a park just recently and that made national news since the authorities were urgently asking the public to help identify the kids so that they could be screened & treated.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

quote:

He posted the photos alongside the caption: “Only God knows the pain and tears of the clown.”

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Also met with a couple we know here with a 1 year old.

The mother had a very serious hospital case of covid during the pregnancy and then the baby had covid again in the UK when visiting relatives. They could get 0 care in the UK and just had to endure it, even the seizure that happened.

Back in Korea the baby then got pnumonia from the daycare, and a second seizure.

Very cool and normal things happening that don't make me furious.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Platystemon posted:

If I saw every other organization in the world stepping on a rake and getting smacked in the face, I would choose not to step on that rake at this time.

I guess that I’m just built different.
i step on every rake i see to gain face-smacking-induced immunity to rakes

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Baddog posted:

This is the real failure, but they don't want to talk about it. Yes online sucks if you don't put any effort into it. From teachers, parents, or kids.

I approached it as "I need to step up and help my kid out with this, help him organize, monitor to be sure he's paying attention, be sure he does homework. All the poo poo that he was getting help with at school, that's on me now. In return the teachers should have modified their plans a bit, and done something besides "watch a video and do some worksheets".

But yah, the majority just punted and it did suck.

silicone thrills posted:

This has always been a thing even with kids in school. What school you went to never mattered very much - its how much parental involvement there is at home in reinforcing concepts and learning. Some schools just do a better job of covering for it because teachers work themselves to the bone to try to keep kids at least minimally caught up but the kids that really excel have parents at home who care and try and that translated more strongly with zoom school.

I knew a few of the IT admins for school and the pandemic was miserable because they were so underfunded and it was so hard to teach teachers how to use what few tools existed and there's so many poor kids in this country that just didnt have the resources - nevermind the school having to give the kids ipads and laptops etc, my friend in kentucky was having to give them cell cards and their program and funding didnt cover everyone who really needed them.

The pandemic was just a wide open view of how loving destitute people and some schools are.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Why Am I So Tired posted:

Don't worry, Biden's got this.
lol got me thinking about this article from July 2022,
https://prismreports.org/2022/07/21/more-people-dying-covid-didnt-have-to-be-this-way/

wonder what the real covid numbers are now
that along with his ongoing genocide in Palestine, lol, lmao

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

lol be sure to vote for more of this garbage, it's very important

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

only the unhealthy get sick

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

hm. aptitude metrix tests are sold out.

that's either bad (lots of covid to test for!) or very bad (winding down test production).

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

I went to look at those being sold out because I’m relying on them right now for some social stuff and there’s a statement of:

“Due to high demand we are currently out of stock. We will receive new inventory in early May.”

So that’s a relief.

They recently were able to extend the expiration dates of the tests from 12 months to 18 which I appreciated.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

Real Mean Queen posted:

lol be sure to vote for more of this garbage, it's very important

It's just swell innit. I made the mistake of admitting to my parents I couldn't stomach voting for Biden (already tried the supposed 'less evil' vote for Clinton, so that's like, multiple failures bundled all together right there), and it has lead to some very 'fun' jokes about my politics, since teams Red and Blu are all that exist and American politics is eternal 24/7 2fort, nothing is achievable and no one wins

like yeah public health is dead and the president is continuing to promote a genocide that also further threatens continued middle eastern/world conflict but 'he's not TRMP!' no of course he isn't, he has a more competently-evil admin. Trump without drumming up fascist fervor would be the best president of my lifetime just because he's too petty and small-minded to really DO much of anything. gently caress's sake, we almost-accidentally got something like a UBI and an unlimited soup kitchen fund for schools under Trump, all Biden had to do was take credit for it (like he did the stimulus checks lol), but no, you can't have anything good, that might threaten the long-term American project of increasing inequality as rapidly as possible forever.

As it is the accelerationism (which Trump's more a symptom of than a cause) has already occurred, so, like, the gently caress is my heavily-gerrymandered presidential vote gonna even do about this poo poo, everything sucks regardless

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
loving demon cracker nation

loving hellworld

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

What a quote, jesus christ lol

"I'm pleased we're ignoring the problem because it means we must have solved it." - the experts, the adults in the room

Apr 7, 2003

Jha is also the source of the quote that we must “embrace the biology of the virus,” guy has a way with words.

Puppy Burner
Sep 9, 2011

Why Am I So Tired posted:

What a quote, jesus christ lol

"I'm pleased we're ignoring the problem because it means we must have solved it." - the experts, the adults in the room

I too would hate nothing more than to do my job lmao

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God
There is no more wastewater data for the Greenville-Spartanburg MSA (~ 1.5 million people)

The dot is just gone off the CDC page (oh and those NC sites are now white (new) when no they aren't )

And I guess we just stopped sending samples to biobot

tols

Bruce Hussein Daddy has issued a correction as of 17:28 on Apr 21, 2024

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Insanite posted:

hm. aptitude metrix tests are sold out.

that's either bad (lots of covid to test for!) or very bad (winding down test production).

I just got an email that my tests are good fot at least another 6 months so thats nice. I have another few left and a dentist appointment ill want to surveillance after.

Plus all these days at the doctors office for my allergy shots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

mags posted:

only the unhealthy get sick

I mean, bodybuilders aren't exactly "healthy" athletes.