Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I remember the crowd being pretty drat hyped for Nash finally kicking Hogan's rear end. Then...that happened

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Two Beans posted:

I feel so weird that I'm probably the only person in existence that popped for the fingerpoke when it happened. "My team" stopped fighting and became friends again.

I think I remember my brother and I thinking it was funny? But we were always mainly WWF fans anyway since that's what we grew up with and only got into WCW around the time Nitro started. So maybe it wasn't as high stakes for people who grew up on WCW or something? I dunno. It was dumb and made us laugh, though.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
I quit watching the moment David Arquette became champion necause even to teenage me it was clear this had no respect for the title as a thing to be won by the best. It was such an insult. I tried WWF too but Arquette was so poisonous i gave up for several years until mid 2000s RoH brought me back as it was like this is what wrestling could be again. Took 15 years for that dream to become reality.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I didn't care about the Fingerpoke because at that point I didn't care about anything the Big Boys were doing and just changed the channel.

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015
I remember my main 'wtf?' thing about the Arquette title win was that DDP, the previous champion, was celebrating his win.

Like my logic:

Fluke win by someone who doesn't deserve it? Makes sense. Non-wresters get wins all the time through overbooked nonsense.
Celebrating losing your title to the fluke win? ...What?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

My viewership of Nitro was sporadic at best, but I'd checked out long before the finger poke. It felt like every single time I tuned in, the episode would end with the nWo shoving their sweaty leathery, faces in the camera, screaming "WOOOOO! WEEEEEE! WABABABABABABABA!" and pulling stupid faces like a bunch of children, and it's like "why am I watching this utter poo poo?"

At least on Raw, you got to see guys like Rock, Kane, Austin and Mankind do cool poo poo. Sometimes the baddies got their comeuppance, and sometimes they ended the episode standing tall, but at least it was far more compelling then a sweaty, leathery Hogan mugging for the camera while screaming "wooo weee wababababababa!" while his shitarse theme song kept playing on loop.

Also, how would you rebook the Jan 4, '99 Nitro episode?

The conditions are
1. Hogan has to end the episode as champion
2. Goldberg has to be arrested, which keeps him out of a match against Nash
3. The audience doesn't get "hosed" the way that the fingerpoke did.

I'd go with
1. Goldberg is arrested, interrogated and kept in a holding cell until just before the main event.
2. Nash sets up the match with Hogan, as a "warm-up" for the Goldberg re-match that is scheduled that night.
3. The nWo re-unites, but Nash is kicked out of the group when they turn on him during the match.
4. Hogan wins an actual match, but via nWo interference and shenanigans.
5. Goldberg is freed during the match, and arrives via police car just before the end of the match. He makes it to the ring area just as Hogan wins the belt.
6. Nash is getting beaten down, and Goldberg makes the save.
7. Episode ends with the nWo escaping up the ramp, but triumpant with the belt, while Goldberg and Nash are glaring at Hogan from the ring.

It's fairly standard, I guess, but it sure as hell beats the fingerpoke.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Someone please find a video of Hogan screaming "WOOOOO! WEEEEEE! WABABABABABABABA!"

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Someone please find a video of Hogan screaming "WOOOOO! WEEEEEE! WABABABABABABABA!"

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=hogan+promo

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Don't make me join a club and beat you with it.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Hey that's what it sounded like to me. My overriding memory of the nWo on Nitro was that it was utterly cacophonous at the best of times.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

I don't quite remember all the details because I haven't revisited Nitro since it was on, but I remember it building and building to this fever pitch and then... nothing. Back to the status quo, no catharsis, no Hogan getting his rear end kicked, nothing, just a big "what?"

It completely removed all the momentum and interest I had and that was that.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

It was when he was wearing his meat shoes

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

PeterCat posted:

I don't quite remember all the details because I haven't revisited Nitro since it was on, but I remember it building and building to this fever pitch and then... nothing. Back to the status quo, no catharsis, no Hogan getting his rear end kicked, nothing, just a big "what?"

It completely removed all the momentum and interest I had and that was that.

Yep.

Nash beating Goldberg, (with unwanted help from Scott Hall), was a big deal storyline wise. Little me was enthralled.

There were a thousand places little me thought they could take it and a thousand further ways they could go. Would Nash give Goldberg a rematch? If not, who would be the next title match contender? Would Goldberg fight Hall? And if he did would Nash help Hall? and a bunch of other stuff.

So we get Hogan vs Nash. and again, little me is enthralled. YAY a clash of the titans! If he wins, then this legitimizes Nash as a champion and worthy to have taken Goldbergs first loss. If he loses, then will Goldberg find it easier to beat Hogan for the title? etc. This was one of the few times that nWo shenanigans were actually interesting in mid-late WCW.

But then you get the fingerpoke of doom, and it all disappears in a wet fart. Nash is a baddie again, the nWo are all friends again, Hogan is champion again, woop de do.

Nothing you cared about for the last few weeks matters. At all.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

BrigadierSensible posted:

But then you get the fingerpoke of doom, and it all disappears in a wet fart. Nash is a baddie again, the nWo are all friends again, Hogan is champion again, WOOOOO! WEEEEEE! WABABABABABABABA!.

I think this version is much better

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2U37e91EFrk

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
You son of a bitch

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Today I took a plane from Tampa to Atlanta. There was a muscular guy at the gate with a skullet wearing a Louis Vuitton fanny pack and zubaz. He looked really familiar. My mind immediately went “which WCW guy is this?”

Then I noticed the WWE Hall of Fame ring. I went down the list on Wikipedia until I found him. I was sitting behind Brutus “the Barber” Beefcake himself.

Sadly I don’t have any dirt to dish other than that he looks like hell (in the “burned leathery skin and melty face” way, not the “about to die” way) and wears terrible jewelry.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Luigi Thirty posted:

Today I took a plane from Tampa to Atlanta. There was a muscular guy at the gate with a skullet wearing a Louis Vuitton fanny pack and zubaz. He looked really familiar. My mind immediately went “which WCW guy is this?”

Then I noticed the WWE Hall of Fame ring. I went down the list on Wikipedia until I found him. I was sitting behind Brutus “the Barber” Beefcake himself.

Sadly I don’t have any dirt to dish other than that he looks like hell (in the “burned leathery skin and melty face” way, not the “about to die” way) and wears terrible jewelry.

Big missed opportunity to ask him what it was like breaking ric flair's streak of main eventing starrcade

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
Wasn’t he the one who caused a minor stir in the NYC Metro because his cocaine stash was mistaken for anthrax? Am I remembering this right?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Nystral posted:

Wasn’t he the one who caused a minor stir in the NYC Metro because his cocaine stash was mistaken for anthrax? Am I remembering this right?

it was in Boston, but yes

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

https://twitter.com/phosphor_glow/status/1464460014391803910

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

The entire WOOOO WEEE WABABABA script goes

Hulk Hogan: WOOOOO! WEEEEEE! WABABABABABABABABABABAAAAAAA! Hulk Hogan: WAHAHAHA! Hulk Hogan: WOOOOOOOO! WAHAHAHAAAAA! WOOOOOOOO!!! Hulk Hogan: (pumps his fists in the air and then punches the air above him) Hulk Hogan: HAHAHAHAAAAAA!!! Hulk Hogan: HAAAAAAA! Hulk Hogan: WAHAHAHAHAHA!!! (picks up his hat and puts it on his head, then stands on his head) Hulk Hogan: WOOOOOOOOOOO!!! WAAAAAAHAHAHAHAAAAAAA!!!!!!

The Beast: HAHAHAHA! Hulk Hogan: WOOOOOOOOO!!! Hulk Hogan: HAHAHAHA! Hulk Hogan: WAAAAAAAAA!!!! Hulk Hogan: WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!! Hulk Hogan: (grabs The Beast) Hulk Hogan: WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!! (grabs his crotch) The Beast: (chuckling) Hulk Hogan: (stops him) Hulk Hogan: (grabs him again) The Beast: (laughs) Hulk Hogan: I got you now. Hulk Hogan: HAHAHAHA! Hulk Hogan: WAAAAAAA!!! The Beast: HAHAHAHA! Hulk Hogan: WAAAAAAAAAAA!!! The Beast: (laughs) Hulk Hogan: (grabs him again) The Beast: (laughs) Hulk Hogan: (takes off The Beast's head) The Beast: Haaaaaa! Hulk Hogan: HAHAHAHA! The Beast: (laughs) Hulk Hogan: WOOOOOOOOO!!! The Beast: (laughs) Hulk Hogan: WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! Hulk Hogan: HAHAHAHAHAHA!

Sting: We are, as you will recall, the winners of the King of the Ring tournament. Hulk Hogan: Right! Sting: But this time, I'm not competing. Hulk Hogan: Why not? Sting: Because, my friends, it's time to pay the piper! Hulk Hogan: Pay the what?! Sting: That means I'm giving you a title shot, baby! Sting: The next King of the Ring... The Beast! Hulk Hogan: What?! The Beast?! Sting: I don't think so, Hulko. The Beast is a little crazy. He once made the Rock bleed! You gotta remember that! Sting: I didn't mean what I said when I won. I was very emotional at that time. I was just kidding. The Beast is not really the King of the Ring. Sting: No. (takes out a gun) Hulk Hogan: (grabs it) Sting: I'm only kidding, Hulk. The Beast has had bad blood with you. This is just business, baby. Sting: Listen, I'm doing this for your own good. (pointing the gun) It's all in your best interests! Hulk Hogan: (looking at Sting) OK! OK! Sting: Look! I'm giving you a title shot. That's it. Hulk Hogan: You're right. Sting: And don't worry about The Rock. He can't touch you now. He won't be able to touch you for a very long time. Sting: The Rock is dead! (throws the gun) Let's hear it for the Hulkster! What a guy.

Wrestling superstar John Cena and his rival Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson teamed up with Triple H and Shawn Michaels for a friendly brawl at the Elimination Chamber on January 26, 2011. The event started with Michaels and Cena going at it. The Rock and Triple H came to their friend's aid and helped Michaels to the back. Later on in the show, Michaels had a match against The Miz, while Cena had a match against The Miz. Cena hit The Rock with a steel chair and knocked him to the floor, and then had a pin-fall victory over The Miz. Then, The Rock got in the ring and fought against Cena. Later, the Shield (brothers Dean Ambrose, Seth Rollins and Roman Reigns) came down and fought with The Rock. The Shield eventually eliminated The Rock.

The Rock: Oh, it's nice to see you boys. That makes me feel good. I think the whole world of these guys and it's great to see a bunch of young boys and you can tell the brothers, they got each other's back. It's great to see that. The Rock: Yeah. Triple H: Yeah. The Rock: And they all love each other. The Rock: I thought you got away from this sh-t. Triple H: Yeah, I do. I do. The Rock: You've been through sh-t since you been here. You look like the sh-t I grew up on. I'm just glad you're around. Triple H: I'm glad you're here, too.

The Rock: I think you've become too big for your britches, Shawn. Michaels: Yeah, buddy.

Wrestling superstar John Cena and fellow wrestling mega-star The Rock are rivals and have wrestled each other on numerous occasions. They also have a long history together and a longstanding friendship. This past summer, at the WWE Draft, the two engaged in some verbal banter at the time of the announcement. It appeared that they had some good old fashioned fun with the comments.

WWE Championship: Daniel Bryan (c) vs. John Cena in a match that has been rumored to be for a World Title at WrestleMania 33. WWE

John Cena: Yeah. Who else?

The Rock: There you go. A little bit of comedy. That's not what this is about.

John Cena: But it's WrestleMania.

The Rock: If you want me to, I'll stop.

John Cena: The Rock, you're the guy that can. The Rock: Yeah. It's WrestleMania.

John Cena: Is that your name or your nickname?

The Rock: I'm gonna stop here.

WWE Champion: Daniel Bryan (c) vs. John Cena in a match that has been rumored to be for a World Title at WrestleMania 33. WWE

It looks like the two are having some fun and are putting on a little show here at WrestleMania. There is no sign of a potential World Title match at WrestleMania 33.

[Watch a replay of their comments in the video below.]

Source: WWE.com

Photo credit: WWE

Filed under: Commentary, Featured, WrestleMania | Tagged: #33, #april9, april9, cmi, CM Punk, doublecross, emma, erik, fakingIt, hudson, john cena, lana, liz carter, the rock, travis barker, triple h, the_wrestle_mania_33, wwe, wrestling | Comments

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Thank you

CaptainACAB
Sep 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of Langley

El Generico posted:

loving lol at the realities of hogan's contract

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-E5VkxhD4M

the thing is wrestling promoters are all such scum i really cant blame guys like hogan, nash and et al for squeezing every last drop out of them. these promoters have hosed so many people, i wont get mad when someone fucks them back. but then in so doing theyre also loving the other wrestlers because they believe (and are almost certainly absolutely correct) that the other wrestlers would do the same to them if given a chance so shits messy. i think thats a thing people overlook regarding hogan/kliq/nwo politicking, is that back then the business still was a cutthroat game where wrestlers would gladly gently caress each other over for a higher spot on the card and once they got one it was just accepted that they would ruthlessly stomp everyone who came close to their spot.

it sucks poo poo, and fortunately its not as bad about that anymore, but that very much was the reality of the business when the nWo was around. hogan is an rear end in a top hat, the interesting thing is that when they step away from the business, guys like nash, hall and even HHH seem to be alright guys. they just got raised in that mentality that you had to crush everyone around you to get the top spot.

CaptainACAB fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Nov 27, 2021

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

CaptainACAB posted:

the thing is wrestling promoters are all such scum i really cant blame guys like hogan, nash and et al for squeezing every last drop out of them. these promoters have hosed so many people, i wont get mad when someone fucks them back. but then in so doing theyre also loving the other wrestlers because they believe (and are almost certainly absolutely correct) that the other wrestlers would do the same to them if given a chance so shits messy. i think thats a thing people overlook regarding hogan/kliq/nwo politicking, is that back then the business still was a cutthroat game where wrestlers would gladly gently caress each other over for a higher spot on the card and once they got one it was just accepted that they would ruthlessly stomp everyone who came close to their spot.

it sucks poo poo, and fortunately its not as bad about that anymore, but that very much was the reality of the business when the nWo was around. hogan is an rear end in a top hat, the interesting thing is that when they step away from the business, guys like nash, hall and even HHH seem to be alright guys. they just got raised in that mentality that you had to crush everyone around you to get the top spot.

Hogan wasn't even taking advantage of WCW, they made money off his first contract and made money off the 1998 year of that contract and into the first few months of 1999. They put on a lovely product and ceased to be able to balance Hogan with the needs of the business. And also made the key mistake of offering him such favorable terms in 98 when they were in such a strong position.

HHH is definitely not an alright guy though. He allowed rampant abuse and discrimination to go on in the PC, along with retaliatory firings when women reported harassment to management. He is scum. Not only allowed it to happen, hired the guy who was at the center of the abuse because he knew that's how he operated.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The problem with Hogan having so much influence was mostly down to how he was booked and how he protected his spot at the expense of everyone else. He was determined to stay the top guy as long as he could, and while it's sorta understandable it also had a lot to do with things like the way the Starrcade 97 match played out and Bret Hart being wasted.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

But then you get the argument of, "Technically Hogan didn't use his creative control much because Bischoff was enough of a mark to book him how he wanted to be."

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

It's vaguely WCW related and I don't think the general picture thread is around anymore. This is from an Arcade game.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Giant Gram ruled

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Admiral Joeslop posted:

It's vaguely WCW related and I don't think the general picture thread is around anymore. This is from an Arcade game.

There was a dreamcast version in Japan, apparently it's a great game

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Nov 28, 2021

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

TheKingslayer posted:

But then you get the argument of, "Technically Hogan didn't use his creative control much because Bischoff was enough of a mark to book him how he wanted to be."

OTOH you do have the WW3 1995 ending which was entirely called by Hogan in the ring.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

That ending is just one long piece of cringe to watch no matter how many times I've seen it. A giant orange baby having a real tantrum in front of thousands.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Taue's (I think?) expression is great

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

El Gallinero Gros posted:

There was a dreamcast version in Japan, apparently it's a great game

There was three. The first one was All Japan Pro Wrestling featuring Virtua which was arcade and Saturn, while the second and third were Giant Gram and Giant Gram 2000 for arcade and Dreamcast.

I played a bit of the first and a lot of the third which I put up there with No Mercy and Fire Pro Returns as an all time great wrestling game.

Ibexaz
Jul 23, 2013

The faces he makes while posting are inexcusable! When he writes a post his face is like a troll double checking bones to see if there's any meat left! When I post I look like a peacock softly kissing a rose! Didn't his parents provide him with a posting mirror to practice forums faces growing up?
Checked out a little footage of 2000 and yeah this game looks baller. Love those chunky virtua fighter impact sounds

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

TheKingslayer posted:

That ending is just one long piece of cringe to watch no matter how many times I've seen it. A giant orange baby screaming "WOOOOO! WEEEEEE! WABABABABABABABA!" in front of thousands.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Is that Minoru Suzuki at the bottom? Did he ever wrestle for All Japan?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Is that Minoru Suzuki at the bottom? Did he ever wrestle for All Japan?

It's Jun Akiyama, but yes, MiSu did work regular for All Japan between 2005 & 2011. His 2011 Triple Crown challenge against Suwama is good if long, and there's also a cage match against fellow Pancrase founder Masakatsu Funaki which should be in the discussion for best Cage match of all-time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

He’s also a former Triple Crown champion, having held the title a couple of times.