Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Whoa, another thousand posts in the past 8 or so hours? What happened?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Endorph posted:

where would you even find 2988 members of congress.

check the landfills and recycling centers.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Mr Interweb posted:

Trump threatening to sue the NYT over them publishing stories about women who claim he assaulted them.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Kro-Bar posted:

https://twitter.com/mattmfm/status/786418793472024577

Why Paul Ryan is loving done with Trump and trying to save seats.

There's a huge difference in the losses they'll take between 7% and 10% given that gerrymandering only creates mildly safe seats. If she wins by 10%, they will lose the House.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Mr Interweb posted:

Racism, fight over racism, red text racism, everyone being really pissed off over red text racism, apology over red text racism.

Oh and:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Charlz Guybon posted:

There's a huge difference in the losses they'll take between 7% and 10% given that gerrymandering only creates mildly safe seats. If she wins by 10%, they will lose the House.

Maybe this is what they meant by 'Private party polling suggests his death spiral is worse than publicly reported'.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Night10194 posted:

Trump threatening to sue the NYT over them publishing stories about women who claim he assaulted them.

Oh god yes.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Mr Interweb posted:

Trump surrogates telling us the mistake we're making is taking Trump's statements literally, Hillary's prison is a metaphor.

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure

A Winner is Jew posted:

It was mentioned earlier by someone else, but would trolling the old/racist segment of Mormons about how stopping trump would actually be fulfilling the white horse prophecy be only funny, or would it also be accurate?

The White Horse Prophecy is almost certainly just an urban legend, but there is a pretty great post about that topic on that same Mormon blog I linked in the effortpost:
https://bycommonconsent.com/2016/06/05/dear-mormon-voters-of-the-american-west-maybe-youre-the-white-horse-weve-been-waiting-for/

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Did I give you your username? I feel like I might have but can't recall.

Does that mean that that 'mods please' stuff actually works sometimes?

gregday
May 23, 2003

Ghouliani preparing to reintegrate with civilized society

https://twitter.com/SopanDeb/status/786445093016330241

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Mr Interweb posted:

Oh god yes.

He's already had a cease and desist sent and they responded by publishing more stories and double-fisting middle fingers at him, it seems.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Endorph posted:

i don't think 2988 members of congress would get much done.

Even in this scenario, the 1488 republican members would still block everything.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

A Winner is Jew posted:

Racism, fight over racism, red text racism, everyone being really pissed off over red text racism, apology over red text racism.

Oh and:

Though to be fair, the apology was legendary. Like at the end of those movies where the scrappy inner city team finally beats the well-funded white team and their team captain comes over and gives the black kid who wanted to quit the team because his mom lost his job but the coach convinced him not to a hug.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Gyges posted:

Actually you don't need an amendment or even laws against gerrymandering. Simply do the thing that Congress was supposed to do every so often but hasn't done since 1929, expand the number of representatives. We started out with one rep for roughly every 33,000 people and are now around one rep for roughly every 600,000 people. Raise the number of Representatives from 435 to at least 1000, but preferably at least 1 more than China's People's Congress, because America, so 2,988. That would take us down to one rep for roughly ever 100,000 people.

It makes it much harder to gerrymander Congress to hell, makes the districts more likely to be closer to groups with some sort of unifying ethos beyond living in roughly the same geographic area, and gives even Wyoming multiple seats in Congress.

Thousands of reps sounds like a logistical nightmare. I would've expected something on the order of 500, increasing by the same percentage the population does each census, for a manageable if steady growth rate.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tom Guycot posted:

Even in this scenario, the 1488 republican members would still block everything.
and the last thing the GOP needs after these sex scandals is more republican members

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
From Last Month:

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2016/09/trump-makes-his-case-in-pittsburgh/501335/

The press takes him literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally.

The best way, he says, is to provide good education and good jobs in these areas. “Fifty-eight percent of black youth cannot get a job, cannot work,” he says. “Fifty-eight percent. If you are not going to bring jobs back, it is just going to continue to get worse and worse.”

It’s a claim that drives fact-checkers to distraction. The Bureau of Labor Statistics puts the unemployment rate for blacks between the ages of 16 and 24 at 20.6 percent. Trump prefers to use its employment-population ratio, a figure that shows only 41.5 percent of blacks in that age bracket are working. But that means he includes full time high-school and college students among the jobless.

It’s a familiar split. When he makes claims like this, the press takes him literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally.

When I presented that thought to him, he paused again, “Now that’s interesting.”

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Tom Guycot posted:

Lol

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Mr Interweb posted:

Black Supremacy ascended and, predictably, ended racism instantly forever.

Tiny Brontosaurus fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Oct 13, 2016

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

smug n stuff posted:

The White Horse Prophecy is almost certainly just an urban legend, but there is a pretty great post about that topic on that same Mormon blog I linked in the effortpost:
https://bycommonconsent.com/2016/06/05/dear-mormon-voters-of-the-american-west-maybe-youre-the-white-horse-weve-been-waiting-for/

:stare:

That was surprisingly great, and that it was posted back in June is actually kind of shocking.

A Winner is Jew fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Oct 13, 2016

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Trump is like everything wrong with America all bundled up in one nice package.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Tom Guycot posted:

Heh

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Black Supremacy ascended and, predictably, ended racism instantly foreer.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
https://twitter.com/Tyler_McNally/status/786353521117495296

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

gfsincere posted:

Though to be fair, the apology was legendary. Like at the end of those movies where the scrappy inner city team finally beats the well-funded white team and their team captain comes over and gives the black kid who wanted to quit the team because his mom lost his job but the coach convinced him not to a hug.

Yeah, but that black kid is going to get harassed by the cops on the way home from the rich kids school for stealing a trophy. :smith:

It was a legit great apology and hopefully my joke about no matter what black people are basically screwed doesn't take away from that

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Stereotype posted:

Trump is like everything wrong with America all bundled up in one nice package.

Would you call him...

a stereotype?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

wow.

I don't want to live in a world where I have to say that Liberty University is doing a good thing. gently caress you Donald Trump. :colbert:

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

https://twitter.com/RickHorowitz/status/786384356663189510

Rush Limbaugh posted:

But if the left ever senses and smells that there's no consent [in the sex act] then here comes the rape police. But conesnt is the magic key of the left

:siren: here comes the rape police :siren:

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

A Winner is Jew posted:

Yeah, but that black kid is going to get harassed by the cops on the way home from the rich kids school for stealing a trophy. :smith:

It was a legit great apology and hopefully my joke about no matter what black people are basically screwed doesn't take away from that

Nah, it was. He even donated 50 bucks to the NAACP which I for one did not see coming. So you know, until Amergin or Matt comes back, racism is over!

fake edit: I figured out how to post gifs from the phone app so I'm about to destroy all of your data plans.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

gfsincere posted:

Would you call him...

a stereotype?

Doot.

Schizotek fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Oct 13, 2016

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
https://twitter.com/LizMair/status/786418574394920960

https://twitter.com/TheRickWilson/status/786422745764466688

My balls are turgid with anticipation

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Black Supremacy ascended and, predictably, ended racism instantly forever.

:drat: :whatup:

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

SomeMathGuy posted:

Trump's campaign is causing time dilation. November 8th is going to last 1000 years.

if things keep up, it's gonna be called before polls close on the west coast

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

gfsincere posted:

Nah, it was. He even donated 50 bucks to the NAACP which I for one did not see coming. So you know, until Amergin or Matt comes back, racism is over!

fake edit: I figured out how to post gifs from the phone app so I'm about to destroy all of your data plans.

Bring it rear end in a top hat, I got 20 gigs

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

gfsincere posted:

What you said was great, and took more stone/ovaries/ovipositors than most people on this site have, so respect.

You should stick around.

gfsincere posted:

:unsmith: Thanks for the kind words. I'm going to at least sleep on it because I'm sick and I've drawn more than enough attention to myself tonight.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Lightning Knight posted:

wow.

I don't want to live in a world where I have to say that Liberty University is doing a good thing. gently caress you Donald Trump. :colbert:

If it makes you feel better, this is from the students and maybe anonymous staff. There are Christian colleges where the students (and very quietly faculty) hold wildly different opinions from the Accepted Stance. Often the Accepted Stance is integral to fundraising and alumni desperately hate change in institutions like that.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Mr Interweb posted:

this election happened. Also discussion on various topics including gerrymandering, Trump, racism, Trump, Trump, Trump, Trump, Trump, and Trump.

oh, and also Trump.

and then some white noise posters poked in and got angry that there were black posters here with opinions on things, and unironically suggested that discussion of racism wasn't germane to a thread like this. This is not the first time this has happened in the last couple of months. before that someone was taking advantage of gfsincere's weird opinions to tee off about "black supremacy", either unintentionally or intentionally to delegitimize BLM, I think. and a couple of mods poked in and refused to handle the situation with one of this thread's regular racist shitheels, because it's not their forum.

at least the "racism is classism" people aren't posting here anymore

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

If they're hyping it in advance it's probably nothing.

But oh, if it's something... :allears:

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Apologies are good, and there's nothing wrong with taking a day or two off from posting to clear your head/zoom out/see the big picture/smell the roses/cryptic metaphor.

I love my black President.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stato-Masochist
Aug 22, 2010

the air is fresh, there's plenty of parking, plenty of space to walk around

Munkeymon posted:

Does that mean that that 'mods please' stuff actually works sometimes?

Not necessarily. FactsAreUseless made a 'post in here and I'll change your username' thread in GBS recently. Posters grabbed at the opportunity like Trump in a women's shelter.

• Locked thread