Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Mr. Carlisle posted:

I don't envy Dave having to write one legend obituary after another lately. At least it feels that way.

This implies he finished them. Verne and Dusty's are still unfinished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Poor Dave will never be able to get caught up on G1

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Roddy Piper is dead and the last thing of note he did was piss off Steve Austin in an utterly bizarre feud centered around podcasts.

Retromancer fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Aug 1, 2015

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Retromancer posted:

Roddy Piper is dead and the last thing of note he did was piss of Steve Austin in an utterly bizarre feud centered around podcasts.

Peak wrestling.

21 Hoot Salute
Feb 8, 2005

Night-time, turn around
Lonely is the city tonight
Night-time, all around
Lonely in the city tonight

Breaking News Audio up about Pipers death at F4W, lots of cool Roddy stories

Roddy :smith:

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
That story about him threatening to burn down Dave's house was hilarious.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

triplexpac posted:

Poor Dave will never be able to get caught up on G1

right when the news was announced he tweeted "So much for this week."

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I wish Dave didn't force himself to watch every show so we could get more long form articles from him.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

rovert posted:

This implies he finished them. Verne and Dusty's are still unfinished.

Looking forward to the Dr. Death obit.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

MassRafTer posted:

Looking forward to the Dr. Death obit.

Didn't he bascially write this in his WON HOF piece on him?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

PaybackJack posted:

That story about him threatening to burn down Dave's house was hilarious.

The idea of him holding the match under his chin with the lights off to intimidate Bryan is just hilarious to me.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

Also I got a good laugh out of,"If you removed everybody who was an idiot from wrestling history, all you'd have left are a few Daniel Bryan and Finn Balor matches."

Bryan's many things, but the last couple of years have made "smart" seem increasingly less likely to be on the list.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Gaz-L posted:

Bryan's many things, but the last couple of years have made "smart" seem increasingly less likely to be on the list.

I assumed "idiot" ment "Bad person" because Fergal and Bryan both seem like swell guys.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Gaz-L posted:

watch what you say. american treasure karl stern said that, not chico.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

watch what you say. american treasure karl stern said that, not chico.

I believe Gaz-L was referring to Daniel Bryan doing silly things like deciding to test out his neck by doing insane headbutt spots in his matches after his comeback.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Jerusalem posted:

I believe Gaz-L was referring to Daniel Bryan doing silly things like deciding to test out his neck by doing insane headbutt spots in his matches after his comeback.

oops my bad :ohdear:

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

John Cena is a better person than Daniel Bryan.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

if you have MLW vip, be sure to catch Disco Inferno stick up for Hulk Hogan. Its pretty :stare:

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

coconono posted:

if you have MLW vip, be sure to catch Disco Inferno stick up for Hulk Hogan. Its pretty :stare:
It's only racism if you take action or say it in public! :argh:

He's right that WWE needs better entrance music.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

coconono posted:

I skip the shows with Disco for a reason.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747

GoutPatrol posted:

I wish Dave didn't force himself to watch every show so we could get more long form articles from him.

Really. Ditch the pointless poo poo like TNA, Smackdown etc. Not necessarily so he can do more long reads, just because those shows are pointless & he doesn't seem to have any free time because of them.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

coconono posted:

I could only take 10 minutes of Disco's garbage. gently caress Disco.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

mariooncrack posted:

I skip the shows with Disco for a reason.

I do not understand why MLW keeps bringing him and Ed Ferrara back to do shows. Neither of them are funny or have any insight, and I can't imagine that anyone smarky enough to listen to wrestling podcasts cares what they have to say. They're even worse than MSL, who is only tolerable because Konnan gives him poo poo constantly.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Court likes them because they're so cringeworthy. Also its better than having an echo chamber.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Disco was worth it just for his WWA stories.

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine
I'm not going to hear that anything worthwhile came out of WWA. It had all the bullshit and insanity of 13 years of TNA packed into about 10 months.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

triplexpac posted:

How dare you! Booking the invasion around Terry Funk is a great idea that would have done a huge buyrate

Like the one biggest complaint against the Invasion was that it quickly turned into WWE guys vs. WWE guys who for some reason are on the other side.

Then Cornette books the main event of Wrestlemania, the match that this year long storyline leads to, as Stone Cold (WWE) vs. Mick Foley (WCW) for no other reason than wanting to suck Foley's dick.

We also get Hogan vs. Dusty, Rock jobbing to Sting and DDP being put into a pointless battle royal because Cornette hates everything in wrestling that happened after 1989.

WadeBartender
Aug 18, 2013

HerraS posted:

Like the one biggest complaint against the Invasion was that it quickly turned into WWE guys vs. WWE guys who for some reason are on the other side.

Then Cornette books the main event of Wrestlemania, the match that this year long storyline leads to, as Stone Cold (WWE) vs. Mick Foley (WCW) for no other reason than wanting to suck Foley's dick.

We also get Hogan vs. Dusty, Rock jobbing to Sting and DDP being put into a pointless battle royal because Cornette hates everything in wrestling that happened after 1989.

to be fair being in a pointless battle royal was what DDP did at the end of the real alliance storyline anyway so it works out

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
You can't have Wrestlemania without at least 1 pointless battle royale

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

The point of a pointless battle royale is to give all the jobber loser geeks a nice payday, you dont stick DDP in one at the culmination of a loving invasion angle because 'hurrdurr I couldnt come up with anything else for him to do'. Gotta have Jeff Jarrett and Dustin Rhodes going over the Hardys or whoever the gently caress it was!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Dustin should always go over, to be fair.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

HerraS posted:

We also get Hogan vs. Dusty

This match would have been absolutely terrible but my god the crowd atmosphere would have been insane.

The trouble with the Guest Booker shoots is that Sean Oliver is asking guys to pull ideas out of their rear end without much in the way of preparation, and a lot of bookers are by nature pretty deliberate thinkers/planners because booking is pretty complicated. Cornette was probably winging it for that entire video and his version of the WCW Invasion wasn't much worse than what we actually got.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

CombineThresher posted:

This match would have been absolutely terrible but my god the crowd atmosphere would have been insane.

The trouble with the Guest Booker shoots is that Sean Oliver is asking guys to pull ideas out of their rear end without much in the way of preparation, and a lot of bookers are by nature pretty deliberate thinkers/planners because booking is pretty complicated. Cornette was probably winging it for that entire video and his version of the WCW Invasion wasn't much worse than what we actually got.

Well they get told ahead of time so they can think of some ideas. The dumb thing though is that they keep them within the same limits that existed at the time, like with the WCW thing they couldn't bring in the nWo until the 11th Hour.

At the end of the day anyone with a brain should know that the biggest match you could possibly make during that period should have been Goldberg vs Stone Cold at Wrestlemania and rebooking the Invasion with any other thing happening at WrestleMania is not going to do the angle the justice it deserves. If you can pretend that WWE egos would let you do whatever you wanted storyline wise, you can pretend that you'd also spend the cash to buyout Goldberg knowing that you were building to the biggest main event you could possibly make.

goc
Mar 26, 2013

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...

PaybackJack posted:

Well they get told ahead of time so they can think of some ideas. The dumb thing though is that they keep them within the same limits that existed at the time, like with the WCW thing they couldn't bring in the nWo until the 11th Hour.

At the end of the day anyone with a brain should know that the biggest match you could possibly make during that period should have been Goldberg vs Stone Cold at Wrestlemania and rebooking the Invasion with any other thing happening at WrestleMania is not going to do the angle the justice it deserves. If you can pretend that WWE egos would let you do whatever you wanted storyline wise, you can pretend that you'd also spend the cash to buyout Goldberg knowing that you were building to the biggest main event you could possibly make.

Forcing them to work with the limits of the time isn't stupid though because Vince was never going to buy out those huge Turner contracts. Most everyone who tries to say they could book the Invasion better always goes "AND I'D BUY OUT THE TURNER CONTRACTS!" like that's realistic. It's not.

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

goc posted:

Forcing them to work with the limits of the time isn't stupid though because Vince was never going to buy out those huge Turner contracts. Most everyone who tries to say they could book the Invasion better always goes "AND I'D BUY OUT THE TURNER CONTRACTS!" like that's realistic. It's not.

Those people are creatively redundant and looking for easy answers they see as obvious in hindsight

But then my Invasion booking amounts to 'put the Radicals back in WCW and don't turn Austin and let feuds commence'

One note about this is, Vince DID try to see if WCW as a separate show was viable. Between WWF's TV negotiations, the shabby toxicity of the WCW name, and his current contract it wasn't doable.

I like that he tried to see if WCW could be an ongoing brand at least for a while. It seems to be an easy potshot at Vince as if his precious ego preferred WWF standing alone vs $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

ZoDiAC_ fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Aug 2, 2015

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

goc posted:

Considering how much money the invasion angle could have made it's not really that unrealistic. People paid huge for WCW's B team on the first invasion PPV but it quickly dropped off when it became clear that it was going to be a one sided slaughter headed up by McMahon Family bollocks.

I mean they put Stephanie McMahon in charge of ECW for Christ's sake.

Edit: and Vince definitely put ego before money. He had DDP turn up as a stalker to Undertaker's wife before being absolutely slaughtered by Taker, Kane and Taker's wife Sarah individually and Booker T's first meeting with The Rock involved the Rock and Booker facing off before the Rock asked "Who in the Blue Hell are you?" and beating the piss out of him, a move that would make Sting put off signing with the WWE until 2014.

Gonzo McFee fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Aug 2, 2015

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

goc posted:

It's no less realistic than imagining that they'd actually put the WCW guys over AT ALL.

My point is that cherry picking what stupid things WWE is and isn't going to do is stupid. Pretending like they'd ever let a Hogan and Dusty match be put on Wrestlemania at that point in time is easily as unrealistic as them buying out Goldberg's contract and booking him against Austin.

ZoDiAC_ posted:

One note about this is, Vince DID try to see if WCW as a separate show was viable. Between WWF's TV negotiations, the shabby toxicity of the WCW name, and his current contract it wasn't doable.

I like that he tried to see if WCW could be an ongoing brand at least for a while. It seems to be an easy potshot at Vince as if his precious ego preferred WWF standing alone vs $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Them acting as a separate entity was never going to happen. Even at the time WWE was still too big and couldn't split their brand like that. Best thing they could have done was try to get another TV deal for WCW on it's own and heavily promote it, but really even that would have required too much work to get running and wouldn't have had enough eyes on it in the long run; and that's assuming that you brought in the WCW personnel/style to keep it authentic.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Aug 2, 2015

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die
Lol at Dave gorging himself and weighing the difference, for science.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

dave still coughing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

ZoDiAC_ posted:

One note about this is, Vince DID try to see if WCW as a separate show was viable.

It says a lot that his attempt at this involved the last WCW main event be Booker/Bagwell

There's no good thought behind that. Either he knew it'd bomb and he intentionally sabotaged the last chance WCW ever had at not looking idiotic, or he genuinely thought fans would like it, and I don't know which is crazier and thus more likely

• Locked thread