Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i want a ww2 game where you play as part of that insane polish group that went around with a loving bear that they enlisted into their corps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
it's interesting that when cod actually tries something unique and daring that we start to finally see it create some iconography of its own, what with 4's pretty powerful nuke scene and its aftermath which emphasises that the death and destruction is more than just the explosion (though I may actually be ignorant of some other work that was already lifted from)

I think when you place cod in the context of it being video games' biggest dumb action schlock bullshit and compare it to, say, transformers, which is kind of film's equivalent, it could certainly get a whole lot worse

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Aint happening, why bother trying to make a story with any sort of impact when you can just design some arenas, code in some weapons and kill streaks and rake in that online shooter cash?

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

Max Wilco posted:

Isn't that endemic to video games as a whole, though? Lot of series and franchises are guilty of indirecty (and sometimes directly) stealing from books, movies, and television.

What gets me is how blatant it is in CoD, down to timing and mise-en-scene. The intro to Stalingrad is lifted beat-for-beat from Enemy at the Gates.

cat doter posted:

what with 4's pretty powerful nuke scene and its aftermath which emphasises that the death and destruction is more than just the explosion (though I may actually be ignorant of some other work that was already lifted from)

Threads and The Day After Tomorrow. (E: it's late)

Oh, and the running joke of my CoD streams is the War on Helicopters since the series writers have a hard-on for Black Hawk Down.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

FoldableHuman posted:

Oh, and the running joke of my CoD streams is the War on Helicopters since the series writers have a hard-on for Black Hawk Down.

I feel like that's every video game ever. If you see a helicopter, the odds of it going down are basically 100%.

50 Cent Blood on the Sand used them as boss battles!

WampaLord fucked around with this message at 07:34 on May 8, 2017

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

FoldableHuman posted:

What gets me is how blatant it is in CoD, down to timing and mise-en-scene. The intro to Stalingrad is lifted beat-for-beat from Enemy at the Gates.

What's sort of ironic(?) about the whole thing is that I think Call of Duty was intended as a competitor or follow-up to Medal of Honor, and the first Medal of Honor game was developed by Dreamworks Interactive (which is now DICE), which was overseen (or had major input) by Steven Spielburg.

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.

cat doter posted:

it's interesting that when cod actually tries something unique and daring that we start to finally see it create some iconography of its own, what with 4's pretty powerful nuke scene and its aftermath which emphasises that the death and destruction is more than just the explosion (though I may actually be ignorant of some other work that was already lifted from)

I think when you place cod in the context of it being video games' biggest dumb action schlock bullshit and compare it to, say, transformers, which is kind of film's equivalent, it could certainly get a whole lot worse

You've gotta consider though that COD wasn't a blockbuster series before 4; it was reasonably popular but it was hardly a household name. They probably had more leeway to be creative because of that. But now of course it's a cultural Big Deal and I doubt Activision want to risk the series dropping more sales than it already has.

Plus, I'm not sure whoever is developing the series could really do something like the nuke scene again, the series seems to have gone very pro-conflict since then (hell, they put nukes in multiplayer in the sequel) and "soldier dies of radiation poisoning pointlessly in a foreign country" doesn't really fit that mentality.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

FoldableHuman posted:

Threads and The Day After Tomorrow. (E: it's late)

threads I can kinda see being the inspiration but I wouldn't call it imitative in the way cod 1's cliff's notes of war movies approach

Disproportionation posted:

You've gotta consider though that COD wasn't a blockbuster series before 4; it was reasonably popular but it was hardly a household name. They probably had more leeway to be creative because of that. But now of course it's a cultural Big Deal and I doubt Activision want to risk the series dropping more sales than it already has.

Plus, I'm not sure whoever is developing the series could really do something like the nuke scene again, the series seems to have gone very pro-conflict since then (hell, they put nukes in multiplayer in the sequel) and "soldier dies of radiation poisoning pointlessly in a foreign country" doesn't really fit that mentality.

sledgehammer's advanced warfare had a slight edge to it, in that the entire game is a takedown of war privatisation (albeit in the exaggerated manner of speculative fiction giving it a kind of kid's movie oil baron feel) so I'm interested to see what they do with ww2, but yeah you're right I think, they just don't really have that spark anymore, mechanically or narratively

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

WampaLord posted:

I feel like that's every video game ever. If you see a helicopter, the odds of it going down are basically 100%.

50 Cent Blood on the Sand used them as boss battles!

That was because 50 Cent's nephew was on the production team and he kept asking for them.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Miss Wallace posted:

Thank you. :) I just started scripting a new batch, which includes a dog trying to murder Eyebrows.

I can't wait. I think I've said how much I enjoy this series a few times in this thread but you really have managed to make it constantly entertaining.

Diamanda Hagan did a similar thing for the terrible British series Bonekickers. Which was a terrible, terrible cross over of X-Files and Time Team. If you like series about terrible TV shows that have been skewered by an expert eye then it's a great one to watch.

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007
Without evil there could be no good, so it must be good to be evil sometime !
Meanwhile, say hello to Channel Awesome HR fuckup No. 732 : ChaosD1 (who does MMO Grinder) was released from the site. Without telling him. Again. He found he wasn't able to upload to the site, then a few days later, his section disappears.

https://twitter.com/ChaosD1/status/861429488235814920

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Bad Wolf posted:

Meanwhile, say hello to Channel Awesome HR fuckup No. 732 : ChaosD1 (who does MMO Grinder) was released from the site. Without telling him. Again. He found he wasn't able to upload to the site, then a few days later, his section disappears.

https://twitter.com/ChaosD1/status/861429488235814920

That is terrible in a funny way. You have to wonder why they didn't fire off a quick e-mail, are they cowardly?

Does anybody still watch the Angry Video Game Nerd? Is he still entertaining?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

bessantj posted:

Does anybody still watch the Angry Video Game Nerd? Is he still entertaining?

Yes. James Rolfe has remained the unshakable pillar of character criticism, outlasting and humbling all of his imitators.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Yes. James Rolfe has remained the unshakable pillar of character criticism, outlasting and humbling all of his imitators.

Well I didn't realise James Rolfe's wife was a member of our fine forum.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

bessantj posted:

Well I didn't realise James Rolfe's wife was a member of our fine forum.

You cur, Clevin is my only hazubando.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
James Rolfe is good

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Rolfe is good yea, he thankfully dropped the "THIS GAME IS LIKE IF A DOG poo poo IN MY MOUTH THEN I PUKED THAT poo poo AND THEN I HAD TO EAT THAT SHITPUKE AGAIN" stuff ages ago and now is just James The Normal rear end Person Who Plays poo poo

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

sexpig by night posted:

Rolfe is good yea, he thankfully dropped the "THIS GAME IS LIKE IF A DOG poo poo IN MY MOUTH THEN I PUKED THAT poo poo AND THEN I HAD TO EAT THAT SHITPUKE AGAIN" stuff ages ago and now is just James The Normal rear end Person Who Plays poo poo

No, he still swears and makes juvenile jokes all the time, what are you talking about?

He did start going more in-depth with stories about the background or development of older games, which is truly interesting stuff, but he never stopped the potty mouth, nor should he.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.
Night Mind finally responded to the avalanche of Welcome To Nightvale requests, and as he's hinted before, I don't think he's exactly a fan... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-KSUoTpZMo

I've never listened to WTNV simply because too many folks around me felt compelled to beat the jokes to death and it kinda spoiled the experience, so I imagine this might be cathartic to listen to.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

WampaLord posted:

No, he still swears and makes juvenile jokes all the time, what are you talking about?

He did start going more in-depth with stories about the background or development of older games, which is truly interesting stuff, but he never stopped the potty mouth, nor should he.

yea I meant that less as 'he doesn't swear' and more as in 'he doesn't just leave his critique as a string of swears and a goofy face', sorry if that wasn't clear.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

WampaLord posted:

Yeah, he still does the whole juvenile humor shtick for his AVGN videos, but his other content is relatively free of that and still pretty good.

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

bessantj posted:

That is terrible in a funny way. You have to wonder why they didn't fire off a quick e-mail, are they cowardly?

Mike Michaud is a petty, spiteful coward, yes.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

Mr.Radar posted:

Yeah, he still does the whole juvenile humor shtick for his AVGN videos, but his other content is relatively free of that and still pretty good.

And his AVGN stuff has been more inspired and funny in recent years. See: Big Rigs, Seaman, Bernstain Bears.

Relevant fake edit:

BWOOOMMMM

Beefstew fucked around with this message at 21:28 on May 8, 2017

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

stillvisions posted:

Night Mind finally responded to the avalanche of Welcome To Nightvale requests, and as he's hinted before, I don't think he's exactly a fan... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-KSUoTpZMo

I've never listened to WTNV simply because too many folks around me felt compelled to beat the jokes to death and it kinda spoiled the experience, so I imagine this might be cathartic to listen to.

He's pretty much spot on regarding the criticisms of the same jokes with little variation alongside how shallow the characters are even when they can speak for themselves. Hell even during the final minutes where he remarks the themes and gives credit where it is due, that was only because the novel went more in depth with the themes of the overall Podcast.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Oh my god the new Night Mind is incredibly petty and I love it.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Beefstew posted:

Relevant fake edit:

BWOOOMMMM

It's actually "Berenstain."

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

TheMaestroso posted:

It's actually "Berenstain."

lol, I originally spelled it that way and took a screencap of the recommended words (which were the same), then I had second thoughts about the way it's actually spelled. Whatever, same results.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Beefstew posted:

lol, I originally spelled it that way and took a screencap of the recommended words (which were the same), then I had second thoughts about the way it's actually spelled. Whatever, same results.

That seems appropriate!

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

I Before E posted:

I'd like it more if dude could edit his ramblings down. Dude reiterates wayyyy too much.

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

Shot up a quick review of the newest Doctor Who episode, "Knock Knock"

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!

bessantj posted:

I can't wait. I think I've said how much I enjoy this series a few times in this thread but you really have managed to make it constantly entertaining.

Diamanda Hagan did a similar thing for the terrible British series Bonekickers. Which was a terrible, terrible cross over of X-Files and Time Team. If you like series about terrible TV shows that have been skewered by an expert eye then it's a great one to watch.

Thank you, and to everyone else's nice comments. :) I saw a bit of Bonekickers under Diamanda's recommendation actually, but this was years ago. Reminded me a bit of Primeval's later episodes.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Another Ross's Game Dungeon, specifically another Follow-Up!

My picture I sent him of a CarnEvil machine in the wild is the last one in the series he shows. :) e: holy gently caress I sent that to him two years ago

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 07:34 on May 9, 2017

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Disproportionation posted:

This idea is, no offense, bullshit. CoD has always been a huge deal. The first one sold millions of copies back when that mattered and was one of the best reviewed PC games of that year. By the time 2 came out it was a certified blockbuster. The adoption rate of 360 buyers in the launch week who also bought CoD2 was something like 3 out of 4. CoD2 was also a huge critical darling of basically every major games site/magazine at the time when it came out.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
COD4 was the point where the series overtook Halo as the de facto multiplayer experience on consoles. It was big before that but mainly for its singleplayer.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

CoD 1-3 were very successful games but the series was not a massive cultural phenomenon until 4.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XacN05uJY00

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.

El Estrago Bonito posted:

This idea is, no offense, bullshit. CoD has always been a huge deal. The first one sold millions of copies back when that mattered and was one of the best reviewed PC games of that year. By the time 2 came out it was a certified blockbuster. The adoption rate of 360 buyers in the launch week who also bought CoD2 was something like 3 out of 4. CoD2 was also a huge critical darling of basically every major games site/magazine at the time when it came out.

None taken; it's very possible that the series may have just been off my cultural radar at the time (I only had a PS2 back then for games, and I only remember a couple of ports coming out for the system).

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Annointed posted:

He's pretty much spot on regarding the criticisms of the same jokes with little variation alongside how shallow the characters are even when they can speak for themselves. Hell even during the final minutes where he remarks the themes and gives credit where it is due, that was only because the novel went more in depth with the themes of the overall Podcast.

It seems like a good take on it overall - I'm glad there is something interesting under the surface but yeah, I just couldn't bring myself to listen to more than five minutes of it, so I'm glad I'm not alone in that feeling.

And man, when Night Mind says a show has painfully bad voice acting, you know it's gotta be bad...

I Before E posted:

Well he's being extra petty to set up the turnaround at the end; his intro alone was setting that up with all the subtlety of the sledgehammer.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

I love Night mind but god does it remind me of 2009 era stilted and awkward review skits. Especially the newest one that has two people pretending to interact despite doing their line reads separately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
One of those Christian media review sites got a copy of Jesus Bro. Brad Jones reviews their review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CexP_eCo-FM

• Locked thread