Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTYjD606cWM

shove it down your face
shove it down your face
shove it down your face
shove it down your face

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

DRINK! ARSE! FECKIN CHRISTMAS!
A game set in WW2 Borneo would be great. Play as a native who is recruited by an anthropologist within Z Special Unit to headhunt the Japanese using traditional weapons. It would be like the Predator campaign in AVP2.

Anyway, does anyone know much about this RedPill feature length documentary that's just come out? As much as I want to learn how the Mens Rights movement went from a small bunch of people campaigning for fairer custody outcomes in divorce cases to insane misogynistic internet weirdoes I don't really want to sit through a 90 minute wank piece for the Alt Right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLzeakKC6fE

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

I can't check YT vids at work but if its the doc I'm thinking about, then 90 minute wank piece sounds about right. http://www.wehuntedthemammoth.com/2017/01/24/the-red-pill-documentary-wins-prestigious-worlds-greatest-grandpa-award/

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Wrageowrapper posted:

A game set in WW2 Borneo would be great. Play as a native who is recruited by an anthropologist within Z Special Unit to headhunt the Japanese using traditional weapons. It would be like the Predator campaign in AVP2.

Anyway, does anyone know much about this RedPill feature length documentary that's just come out? As much as I want to learn how the Mens Rights movement went from a small bunch of people campaigning for fairer custody outcomes in divorce cases to insane misogynistic internet weirdoes I don't really want to sit through a 90 minute wank piece for the Alt Right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLzeakKC6fE

All the reviews say the director fell for the fig-leaf cover story of MRA actually caring about prison rape and disparate suicide/workplace death rates for men, while ignoring what they actually say and do. Watch at the peril of your blood pressure.

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

DRINK! ARSE! FECKIN CHRISTMAS!
Yeah thats the same one. I guess I can live in ignorance on this for the time being.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Baka-nin posted:

I can't check YT vids at work but if its the doc I'm thinking about, then 90 minute wank piece sounds about right. http://www.wehuntedthemammoth.com/2017/01/24/the-red-pill-documentary-wins-prestigious-worlds-greatest-grandpa-award/

That domain name never stops being funny to me for idolizing probably one of the lamest parts of being a caveman.

"We hunted the mammoth!... by spooking or corralling one off a ledge or into a hole where we hit em with poo poo or let them die on their own. Also it's all speculation and we may have never actually hunted them."

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Explain how they went extinct then. Check and mate. :smug:

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Well I mean that's the point of the name isn't it? Isn't We hunted the mammoth a website making fun of MRAs?

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Yes, the title comes from a part of a widely shared reddit spiel a few years ago. "We (men) hunted the Mammoth (For you ingrate women! :argh: ) etc,

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Woops you're right, I got my dumb sites mixed up, I thought that was one of the sincere :mrapig: trash fires.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I'm watching Contra's talk with Roamingmillennial right now and I think his major flaw is assuming his interlocutors are smart enough to understand his arguments.

It scares the hell out of me that someone so dumb could fail to understand how dumb she is. She fell for nazi propaganda and has no idea.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Jack Gladney posted:

I'm watching Contra's talk with Roamingmillennial right now and I think his major flaw is assuming his interlocutors are smart enough to understand his arguments.

It scares the hell out of me that someone so dumb could fail to understand how dumb she is. She fell for nazi propaganda and has no idea.

Every now and again he also says something like "Assuming the person you're arguing with is doing so in good faith" and man, dunno if I can say that's the case when an asian girl is trying to play for the literal out and out nazis.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

I kinda like it; whenever someone complains about nobody engaging the alt right in Serious Debate, you can just point them at those videos to show why. I think it's also a better persuader for some of the people just starting to get into the alt right than mockery or appeals to compassion.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Yeah, when I wrote that I hadn't gotten to the part where she equates BLM to white separatists. Yet she seems to genuinely not understand the history of white supremacy in the United States.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

Yardbomb posted:

CoD 3 had whole sections for a Polish tank crew and Canadian I think paratroopers, World at War had a bunch of Russian poo poo that wasn't purely Stalingrad, I'm forgetting which but I know there's been Italy in at least one or two others as well.

China and India though yeah, pretty much untouched as far as I can think of.
Wouldn't mind a campaign following the US Army 442nd Infantry Regiment, a nearly all Japanese-American combat unit that was filled with some serious badasses.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Puppy Time posted:

I kinda like it; whenever someone complains about nobody engaging the alt right in Serious Debate, you can just point them at those videos to show why. I think it's also a better persuader for some of the people just starting to get into the alt right than mockery or appeals to compassion.

Perhaps the one well thought out thing I've ever seen Sargon do (in all my second hand exposure to him, to be fair) is get wrecked in a debate and decide never to debate again.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Puppy Time posted:

I feel as though these sort of debates are useful. Not in convincing the person deep enough into the alt-right to volunteer to defend it in debate, but some people who not seen the weakness of the alt-right's arguments demonstrated yet. There is a real danger to society if you don't continuously reinforce why fascist ideas are wrong, not just the fact that they are wrong. The failure to reinforce that is a major failing on the part of the United States and more broadly western cultures following WW2.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

MariusLecter posted:

Explain how they went extinct then. Check and mate. :smug:

They evolved into elephants. Check and mate and MRA!

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Deport The Irish posted:

Even aside from representation, I'd just like to see a World War 2 game have a single level that wasn't lifted from Saving Private Ryan, Band of Brothers, or Enemy at the Gates.

Things I've never seen in a WW2 FPS include: Italy, any reference to the Italians or Axis Minors, the entirety of Russia and Eastern Europe (excluding Stalingrad), China, or India
Medal of Honor Rising Sun was pretty good since it did the early Pacific Campaign and not like Iwo Jima.

I have a soft spot for Medal of Honor Frontiline even if does the whole SPR, Band of Brothers poo poo, there were some great resistance missions in it like infiltrating a castle or causing a Nazi bar fight.
Also the game had a mockumentary of the 30th anniversary of the game as a cheat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysH4glUfafc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ds_9fgx7fT8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLipsIaHG0U

These were the only two FPS WWII games I played so I never got burned out on the genre

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If EA didn't murder Pandemic, we could have gotten more french resistance games like The Saboteur.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

ContraPoints is now having a friendly and good conversation with some British philosopher about the utility of debate. It's really quite good.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Also another Mercenaries, god those games were fun.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Yeah, I'm glad we got Mercenaries.

I'm kind of sad we didn't get a second one but hey, knowing how the company was going at the time, they probably would've stripped down/out the fun little touches and characterization you got in the briefings and stuff.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I'm kind of sad we didn't get a second one but hey, knowing how the company was going at the time, they probably would've stripped down/out the fun little touches and characterization you got in the briefings and stuff.

They did make a second game and it was pretty decent. Not as good as the first one, but you did get a psychotic drunk Russian pilot to deliver all your ordnance to you. Granted, Sergei's mafia cronies did that in the first game too, but they always sounded a little bored, while the Russian guy in 2 is a total nutjob alcoholic.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

They did make a second game and it was pretty decent. Not as good as the first one, but you did get a psychotic drunk Russian pilot to deliver all your ordnance to you. Granted, Sergei's mafia cronies did that in the first game too, but they always sounded a little bored, while the Russian guy in 2 is a total nutjob alcoholic.

:prepop:

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Jack Gladney posted:

ContraPoints is now having a friendly and good conversation with some British philosopher about the utility of debate. It's really quite good.

Yeah, Philosophy Tube He's pretty good. He started his channel after the UK school systems raised tuition and wanted to give people a sot at a education he got.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PY5amxQ9lYg

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4gyjVUwn3o

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Arcsquad12 posted:

Yeah but overall you don't have anyone nearly as fun or endearing as liquor-and-coke'd up Sergei or local sometimes-brilliant cowboy idiot Buford. Even guys like Garrett get some good lines now and again, even if relegated to messing with stuff or being lazy in the briefing room.

I find it really appropriate for all the characters to bring back, they brought back Peng, the most boring man in the universe.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

BigRed0427 posted:

Yeah, Philosophy Tube He's pretty good. He started his channel after the UK school systems raised tuition and wanted to give people a sot at a education he got.

He's quite good and his mission is very good.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Yardbomb posted:

That domain name never stops being funny to me for idolizing probably one of the lamest parts of being a caveman.

"We hunted the mammoth!... by spooking or corralling one off a ledge or into a hole where we hit em with poo poo or let them die on their own. Also it's all speculation and we may have never actually hunted them."

Someone show these guys that bit of the (surprisingly good) new Flintstones comic where there's a flashback to hunter-gatherer times, and the women have spent a month picking a whole lot of berries and fruits and are on the verge of inventing agriculture, and the men come back from the hunt with a single tiny lovely mini-mammoth they're inordinately proud of catching.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Baywatching continues to be a great series. I never watching Baywatch when it first aired but this series is giving me a great insight into how 'amazing' the series was.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Arcsquad12 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deTCsc28_Y4

USE AIR STRIKES WHENEVER YOU CAN

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!

bessantj posted:

Baywatching continues to be a great series. I never watching Baywatch when it first aired but this series is giving me a great insight into how 'amazing' the series was.

Thank you. :) I just started scripting a new batch, which includes a dog trying to murder Eyebrows.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Miss Wallace posted:

Thank you. :) I just started scripting a new batch, which includes a dog trying to murder Eyebrows.
Looking forward to frying up some meat and drinking some PEPSI™. It's an amazing series, both the original show an your take on it.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Miss Wallace posted:

I can't wait. :allears:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It's so, so different from what I always thought it was. I'm transfixed at every Baywatching and regret that I spent the 90s on X-Files or Perfect Strangers or whatever.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Miss Wallace posted:

The dog acts for all of us.

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

Yardbomb posted:

CoD 3 had whole sections for a Polish tank crew and Canadian I think paratroopers, World at War had a bunch of Russian poo poo that wasn't purely Stalingrad, I'm forgetting which but I know there's been Italy in at least one or two others as well.

China and India though yeah, pretty much untouched as far as I can think of.

Call of Duty 2: Big Red One has some Italy, but it's definitely one of the lesser played entries in the series as a whole.

World at War's Soviet stuff is mostly Stalingrad with some lead up to the Battle of Berlin (which was also a part of the Soviet campaign in CoD2).

The problem with any sort of "CoD should do X instead" is that Call of Duty blows at communicating any meaningful sense of place that doesn't rely on pillaging iconography from other existing popular media, hence why playing the first several is like marathoning Private Ryan, Patton, Enemy at the Gates, Thin Red Line, and Pearl Harbor (which is itself a pastiche of Tora! Tora! Tora! and Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo). CoD's sense of inclusion is purely symbolic as a (formerly) monolithic franchise. There's a lot of things that CoD could or even should do, but sadly "learn to tell a story" is the top of the list.

RIP Burger Town Hashtag Never Forget.

FoldableHuman fucked around with this message at 05:30 on May 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

FoldableHuman posted:

Call of Duty 2: Big Red One has some Italy, but it's definitely one of the lesser played entries in the series as a whole.

World at War's Soviet stuff is mostly Stalingrad with some lead up to the Battle of Berlin (which was also a part of the Soviet campaign in CoD2).

The problem with any sort of "CoD should do X instead" is that Call of Duty blows at communicating any meaningful sense of place that doesn't rely on pillaging iconography from other existing popular media, hence why playing the first several is like marathoning Private Ryan, Patton, Enemy at the Gates, Thin Red Line, and Pearl Harbor (which is itself a pastiche of Tora! Tora! Tora! and Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo). CoD's sense of inclusion is purely symbolic as a (formerly) monolithic franchise. There's a lot of things that CoD could or even should do, but sadly "learn to tell a story" is the top of the list.

RIP Burger Town Hashtag Never Forget.

Isn't that endemic to video games as a whole, though? Lot of series and franchises are guilty of indirecty (and sometimes directly) stealing from books, movies, and television.

• Locked thread